Any one thinking of doing the 3D ultrasound? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious if anyone has decided to see their baby in "3D' ultrasounds. I have booked mine for my 28th week which is the end of February. I'm so excited I can't wait :-), This is baby number 1 so I am really curious to see who my baby looks like right now...my side or my DH

#2 of 26 Old 01-16-2011, 04:03 PM

i have one booked for the 4th of march i'll be 30 weeks smile.gif

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#3 of 26 Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM

No, we didn't have those when DS was born and this one won't have it unless my midwife orders one. The closest 3D place is geez. Around 2 hours one way from here. So, combining the cost of gas to/from there and the cost of the u/s we'll pass and just see who she looks like in May. :P

#4 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 AM
tzs

i wouldn't if i didn;t have to...i try to avoid ultrasounds unless medically necessary. 

that said, i do a 20 week scan because of a medication i take and have it done at the perinatologist where he can switch to 3D. personally, i would skip it. it is really not all that cute at that point so if you're doing it to see what your baby looks like you're not going to get a good idea at all. maybe 10 weeks later it's different, i dunno, but at 20 weeks both dd and this one looked like a mummy alien. i even remember dh saying that he hoped it would be a boy "cause that's one ugly girl!" he wasn't exagerating, but she was a doll at birth. just the other day i pulled out her 3d pic to try to see any semblance and really didn't see anything. 

also keep in mind that 3d ultrasounds are way stronger than regular ultrasounds so if you;re at all concerned about cell damage from U/S than skip the 3D by all means.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#5 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM

The FDA does warn about unnecessary ultra sounds.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 AM

I had one at 20 weeks. I decline the first trimeseter screening so the midwife said if I wanted to I could have the level 2 with a peri so I did it. I had the 3 d with my twins. We were able to see one of them really good. When she came out she looked EXACTLY like the 20 week ultrasound pic. It was really neat to see this one. She looks just like my 3rd daughter. Can't wait to compare pics when she is born!

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#7 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM

3D's are standard for the big ultrasound at my clinic. Although they make you wait till 23-26 weeks. Now I know why though as some mentioned how the baby looks at 19, 20 weeks ect.

My 3D is scheduled for Feb 10th, I will be 24 weeks a few days along by then. So just a few more weeks. This will be my first experience with one.

I had a few 2d's early on, because of bleeding issues.

~Kristy~ *Madeline Age 6 *Baby#2 May28th
#8 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM

I wouldn't want to do a 3D as I've read those are even stronger waves than the 2D - so potentially more hazardous to the kiddos health. I'm having a 2D tomorrow morning.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#9 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post

3D's are standard for the big ultrasound at my clinic. Although they make you wait till 23-26 weeks. Now I know why though as some mentioned how the baby looks at 19, 20 weeks ect.

My 3D is scheduled for Feb 10th, I will be 24 weeks a few days along by then. So just a few more weeks. This will be my first experience with one.

that seems really strange. i had my biggie with the perinatologist and although he had 3d capability on the same machine it was 2d all the way. i don;t even see how they could do the measurements with a 3d.....interesting....

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#10 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post

that seems really strange. i had my biggie with the perinatologist and although he had 3d capability on the same machine it was 2d all the way. i don;t even see how they could do the measurements with a 3d.....interesting....

I am not sure they may use both 3D and 2D, I know the machine does both. I guess I will have to see when I get there...

~Kristy~ *Madeline Age 6 *Baby#2 May28th
#11 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 PM

When I had mine done it was 2d, they flipped a switch to make it 3d snapped a shot for me and went back to 2d.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#12 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopzmom View Post

When I had mine done it was 2d, they flipped a switch to make it 3d snapped a shot for me and went back to 2d.

this was how it was at ours as well. i should have just told him to skip it because he didn't need it at all and i didn't necessarily want it.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

#13 of 26 Old 01-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopzmom View Post

this was how it was at ours as well. i should have just told him to skip it because he didn't need it at all and i didn't necessarily want it.

Ours too. 
I was so in the moment with everything that I didn't think about it when she did it. She was very skilled and it's a cute little shot that she grabbed, even for only 18 weeks (I have to say, this lady was very professional and very skilled, and I was happy she was doing our ultrasound). But I just don't think I would ever do the entire 3d session that they offered.
I honestly wouldn't have gone in for this one, if it weren't for peace of mind!

Dani - madly in love with Neil. Lost our little twins brokenheart.gif brokenheart.gif (6/10). So excited to meet our baby girl Ember rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gif in May!

#14 of 26 Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM

We're probably going to do one in the next couple of weeks - I really liked seeing DS2 in 3D (the perinatologist I was seeing offered it) and I really want another look at the gender as well.  :)

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#15 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 AM

Hello,

I have to disagree with you.  If  too many ultrasounds are dangerous then why do HIGH Risk pregnancies receive SO many?  Also, if the 3D ultrasound is stronger and not good for you then why does the doctors office and the ultrasound at the hospitals who have them show you your baby in 3d? How on earth would the ultrasound companies SELL 3D and 4D ultrasound machines if it weren't safe?  I had WEEKLY ultrasounds during my first pregnancy because I was high risk.  My Doctor A OK"d a 3D ultrasound and I would think he would know..

The 3D and 4D Ultrasounds are very safe and you shouldnt be concerned as long as the machines are regulated and serviced and maintained.  It actually can strengthen the bond for mom and dad to baby and encourgae better health habits of momma to be.

Just my opinion though.. I had one done and it was AMAZING!

#16 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 AM

CaviMom - If you do a search for terms like "ultrasound safety" here at MDC, you'll find all sorts of threads which outline the pros & cons; studies/lack of studies; opinions for & against.....which might shed some light for you on why many believe ultrasounds to be unsafe, despite their prevalence in modern pregnancy culture & their purported safety by the medical community.

#17 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 AM
tzs

it's not that ultrasounds are inherently super duper dangerous, it's that they do have a risk and there are plenty of real deal medical studies that have shown cellular damage etc... my friend just finished his OB rotation in med school and they DID go over the studies that show that ultrasounds are not risk free.

but like anything medical that has a small risk you have to weigh this against the benefits. so for a high-risk pregnancy, the benefits of diagnosis may outweigh the risks even to a huge extent. that's why they would do so many. but it's also the reason that even the AMA cautions about not doing ultrasounds unless medically necessary, meaning specifically, as they say, not solely for gender identification and not for routine purposes. they also caution against going to outside mall-type ultrasound places. 

now why some OB's still do so many routine ultrasounds is a big question. mine is one if them, he would do one every visit if you let him (and does, with most of his patients, that i assume go along with it) i think part of it is that he has teh machine in his office and can therefore bill for it and another part of it is to "cover his ass" which he has straight up told me is the big reason he does alot of the testing he does. that way if he is faced with litigation, he can say he did everything in his means.

so yeah. that's my semi-uneducated view on ultrasounds. also, keep in mind that they used to do x-rays routinely on pregnant women for diagnosis which they now know is dangerous. 

#18 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM

I have a friend who's an OB/GYN and we were talking about 3D.  She is uncomfortable with it being used routinely (here in Canada it is not used as often by doctors as it is in the US, I think), something about the increase of temperature in tissues 'receiving' 3D ultrasound is significantly higher than that of 2D ultrasound.  As tzs went on to say in her post, it's about weighing the benefits versus the risks, and using it prudently.  That said, if people are aware of the potential effects and are willing to take the likely very small risk of that exposure, then that's fine...it would just be nice for them to be a little more up front that ultrasound does indeed have some effect on the tissues it's used to examine, and that it's not fully defined what those effects might be on fetal development etc.

Quote:

it's not that ultrasounds are inherently super duper dangerous, it's that they do have a risk and there are plenty of real deal medical studies that have shown cellular damage etc... my friend just finished his OB rotation in med school and they DID go over the studies that show that ultrasounds are not risk free.

#19 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM

I am not planning on doing anymore ultrasounds unless my midwife group feels its necessary, I had one at 12 weeks and one at 20 weeks.  They believe in doing as few as possible as they said that (this isn't proven) it could affect the hearing of the baby.  When I told my midwife that I rented a fetal doppler she made me send it back right away.  She said better to stay away from sound waves.  She also said that in most cases, when the ultrasound probe is put on the mother's tummy that the baby tends to move away from it, some even turn around because of the loud sound.  Now this is nothing that has been proven, just sharing what her experiences have been.  She prefers to leave the baby alone and let it be unless otherwise needed.  Thought I'd share.

#20 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM

my understanding of 3d ultrasound is that it takes all of the slices and then the image is computer generated...not that its stronger but uses different software

I know its considered helpful in some cases of diagnoses...for instance spina bifida

that said...the peri did a 2d of our baby for spina bifida (and a detailed anatomy scan) and seemed very satisfied...the entire scan was literally under 6 minutes...the tech was ultrafast, great at getting exactly what images she wanted immediately

#21 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

while i would love to see her in 3D i just don't feel like personally i can justify subjecting her (or my eggs) to anymore ultrasounds...with haye i had 3, and one of them was a fairly long 2D/3D/4D ultrasound that i had honestly never even heard of. i was just the lucky one  that they were training the tech on so i got to watch him for around an hour...but now that i know the risks of ultrasound i am kind of choked that they didn't present me with any facts or info before starting to do it. oh well, he's healthy and i was so excited to see what he looked like back then!

i've already had one quick u/s with this one, it was under 2 minutes long...then another 5 minute one the next day, then a 12 week u/s and a long 20 week u/s, and i have to go back AGAIN for another one on the 28th because they didn't see her spine. honestly i'm almost embarrassed to admit on MDC the amount of u/s i have had to have done! i wish that i didn't have anymore to go to but oh well. 

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#22 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

while i would love to see her in 3D i just don't feel like personally i can justify subjecting her (or my eggs) to anymore ultrasounds...with haye i had 3, and one of them was a fairly long 2D/3D/4D ultrasound that i had honestly never even heard of. i was just the lucky one  that they were training the tech on so i got to watch him for around an hour...but now that i know the risks of ultrasound i am kind of choked that they didn't present me with any facts or info before starting to do it. oh well, he's healthy and i was so excited to see what he looked like back then!

i've already had one quick u/s with this one, it was under 2 minutes long...then another 5 minute one the next day, then a 12 week u/s and a long 20 week u/s, and i have to go back AGAIN for another one on the 28th because they didn't see her spine. honestly i'm almost embarrassed to admit on MDC the amount of u/s i have had to have done! i wish that i didn't have anymore to go to but oh well. 

i wouldn't be embarrassed!

it really IS a risk-benefit decision and there is no right answer. 

i, for example, technically "don;t do ultrasounds." but i do have them if medically necessary. so for both pregnancies i've had a fairly long detailed level II with a perinatologist due to a medication i'm on and an increased risk of heart defects. this time it seems i might have placental issues so i'm already scheduled for another at 28 weeks and probably 32 and who knows after that...i can only assume they will do more as the due date approaches. and ya, know, for someone who "doesn't do ultrasounds" i don;t feel like i have anything to apologize about or feel guilty about. ya gotta do what's best.

#23 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

oh i totally agree...but i do find that i have come across "crunchier-than-thou" people on these boards and have even been guilty of getting a bit sucked into that mentality in the past...you know what i mean? 

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#24 of 26 Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 AM
tzs

oh for sure! like every intervention you mention you have to justify it with a reason. i just wrote a response about my induction and then noted the reason for the induction to justify it's medical necessity....even though i have nobody to answer to here. and i wouldn't even consider myself crunchy so who cares?!? 

#25 of 26 Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM

I'm actually having a really hard time getting into this message board this time around because of this same sentiment. I feel like I have to have a qualifier for every decision I make.

I don't mean to be disparaging but I seriously roll my eyes at some of the stuff on the boards this go around and just feel like I need to walk away lest I type up something thats comes away crass..because who am I to say how anyone elses experience should be ykwim? I also feel like, I'm in my thirties, this will be my fourth baby, and I'm very well educated and I don't need anyone else telling me "how it is".

I've lurked on the boards since I found out I was pregnant again but I'm not really feeling the community like I did last time this go around.

I think part of it I felt marginally threatened and a little lost with my OB last go around but have been incredibly comortable with the new practice this go around and don't feel the slightest bit pushed around.

my demographic is also wildly different...the last practice was very blue collar oriented and just generally frustrated me..now I go to a practice in the middle of a very wealthy white collar area and it seems almost like the Dr's (plural) here are generally used to being bullied and told what to do..lol

People around here are often crunchy because theyre wealthy and they hug trees (nothing wrong with that) not out of need for finances..I think this plays a part too.

Im also a neurobiology major and a paramedic so hospital settings and testing don't bother me, I don't have blind faith, but I see why some things are done and why..and tend to agree with the reasons more often than not and can make an educated response to said testing.

ALSO (if anyone is still reading...lol) I had a pretty high intervention delivery last go around but didn't walk away feeling dissatisfied and really feel like I had, and have the perfect child..I couldnt ask for more.

#26 of 26 Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVaughn View Post

ALSO (if anyone is still reading...lol) I had a pretty high intervention delivery last go around but didn't walk away feeling dissatisfied and really feel like I had, and have the perfect child..I couldnt ask for more.

yep. i went into delivery thinking that for me the only requirement for having a  "perfect" birth was a healthy baby, mom, and happy dad....whatever happened was cool. i think i was the only one in our bradley class that was 100% comfortable with a hospital birth and was actually looking forward to having nurses to bring me water and juice whenever i wanted :) and i did have a pitocin labor and some complications to the extent that my doula was surprised i didn't end up in c-section. not to toot my own horn too much but afterwards she totally credited the open-minded attitude for being able to physically avoid it. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page