What type of stroller is everyone going with??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wore DS exclusively for the first three months and then we got the Baby Jogger City Mini and I LOVE it. I still wore him mostly for the first 18 mos b/c DS hated the stroller (nothing to do with the specific strollers, it was a hatred of all strollers, high chairs, carseats etc ever made!) Now that DS is 2.5 we use the city mini all the time to get to and from daycare and get around the city. I live in Toronto and we have lots of snow right now and it does alright, although in deep snow, you do want the bigger wheels. I can easily see DS being comfortable in it til at least 4, not that he'll use it all the time at that age, but it's nice to have the option. I love the weather cover, the size, how it folds, everything! We will get the carseat adapter for it for when this new babe arrives, but I think it will be mostly DS walking or stroller and baby in the wrap. We also have a McLaren Quest which I also love - got it for $150 used on craigslist and it is wonderful, but no good for the winter, obviously. 

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#32 of 55 Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM

We only really found ourselves using a stroller for grocery trips (to hold the bags) and for kids on really long walks. With both kids we didn't start using a stroller regularly for an actual child until they were nearly two. We just wear them instead. It's way less hassle, and for someone like me with extensive pain and mobility problems it's a huge pain the butt to haul a stroller around. A well-fitted, comfortable and safe baby carrier is 1000x better for me and my health! Generally, the times I find myself using the stroller with a baby under 12 months is if I'm having an exceptionally bad pain day, and DH is with me so he can push it.

That said, the in-laws got us an "X trail" by "Love n Care" that had an attachable extra seat, so it converted to a double stroller without taking up a single inch of extra space. SUPER handy. We love that thing, but it's not made very well... after having it only 4 years it's completely fallen apart and is barely being held together by duct tape. We can't afford to buy another stroller new, but we need the grocery cart aspect of it for shopping trips in a BIG way, so we'll probably end up cruising the classifieds for a cheap jogging stroller replacement before baby comes.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#33 of 55 Old 01-21-2011, 02:57 PM

I'm buying a Combi double stroller side by side. It's really only for my older boys so that I can wear the baby. I have a friend who has one, and it's amazing. 

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#34 of 55 Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the advice!  We do want to save money where we can, but almost everyone we've talked to has recommended getting the infant seat anyway.  We found out we can borrow an infant seat and frame stroller from one of DHs coworkers if we don't get the seat at my shower.

Baby 1 due in May
#35 of 55 Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 AM

For all of you babywearers...do you recommend any brands/styles in particular?  Ever since I went to Peru I have been interested in the wraps, but are they hard to wrap or did you feel like the baby was safe when you were first learning?

#36 of 55 Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 AM

I'm not a "babywearer" but I do sometimes wear my babies. I tried a wrap once and it completely confused me. I prefer a soft structured carrier personally. Just my $ .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff86 View Post

For all of you babywearers...do you recommend any brands/styles in particular?  Ever since I went to Peru I have been interested in the wraps, but are they hard to wrap or did you feel like the baby was safe when you were first learning?

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#37 of 55 Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 AM

reelgeek, I am DROOLING over that stroller! So neat!! 

Re: the question of whether you really need a car seat if you don't have a car...it depends on personal comfort level, I guess.  With a seat provided by a limo company or the like, you are counting on their word that the seat is not expired, is not recalled, has never been in an accident, and has been properly installed.  With a seat purchased yourself, you can learn how to properly install it yourself in any vehicle you wind up in (handy if you are getting a lift with a friend somewhere or something like that), and you will know its history and can follow recall notices etc.  If you're not up for buying one, you could ask around and find a friend you trust who would be willing to let you store their unused seat at your place for occasional use - frees up a little storage space for them for a while, and ensures you have a reliable seat in those few times you might need one.

#38 of 55 Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 PM

We have the Bugaboo Chameleon and highly recommend it.  Love it, love it, love it.  I don't think we're going to get a double-stroller, but we may change our minds.  If we do, we'll sell our Chameleon and look into their new one.  I think it's called a Donkey...

Robin's wife, Harper's mommy, lifestyle and birth photographer, aspiring doula 
***4***8***12***16***20***belly.gif***28***32***36***40
#39 of 55 Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff86 View Post

i like the stretchy wraps like the moby for newborns. it's easier than woven wraps because you can tie it and then pop the baby in because it stretches and it's so comfy and snuggly. i have back issues so the wide straps worked the best for me. but they outgrow it way before the supposed weight limit because it does stretch (and then feels uncomfortable...at least for me the stretch was horrible for my back.) i ended up going with the maya tie (which is the maya wrap's version of a mai tei) because it has the wide straps just like a wrap, functions like a wrap, but without all the tying and you can pop them in while it's half tied already like a regular mai tei (but without the straps cutting into your shoulders and more support like a wrap.)

people love the ergo type things but IMO it's really uncomfortable with a newborn....you need to finagle it so that they're in there ok....mine almost slid out the bottom once....and they're bulky and i wanted something i could throw in my bag in case i wanted it somewhere.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#40 of 55 Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Don't have a baby yet, but I like the idea of multiple styles of carriers.  I'm just thinking about versatility and you never know what the baby will like.  I got a hotsling from one of my former student's parents, and my MIL bought be a ring sling in Guatamala.  I have registered for a moby and an ergo, and I will probably buy a mei tai.  I don't care as much about the moby since it may be too hot here for my May baby, but I hope to get an ergo or similar for DH.  I think he would find that easiest to use.  Although, funny, he did get the hang of the hotsling really fast and even showed me how to do it when we were practicing with our cats.  2whistle.gif  I may buy a nice woven fabric and make my own wrap at some point.

Baby 1 due in May
#41 of 55 Old 01-28-2011, 05:56 AM

Further to the topic of renting a car seat (which I know is a little OT for the thread title, but that's where the conversation lead), a friend of mine is a car seat tech and just posted this blog link.  I thought I would share, since it's directly related to the topic of seat rental...

http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal/2008/jul/27/danger-rent-car-rental-agency-puts-infant-risk/

#42 of 55 Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Just an update: I bought my stokke stroller and I absolutely love it. Clearly I haven't been strolling with the baby yet, but in terms of setting it up and using all the features, it's super easy. I set it up by myself and it's fairly light. The chair detaches easily so I'll be able to lug it up the 3 flights of stairs in my building no problem. So far I think it was well worth the cost (which is considerable). I look forward to strolling the baby all over the place. We're walking home from the hospital, so that will be my first test. :)

#43 of 55 Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

Just an update: I bought my stokke stroller and I absolutely love it. Clearly I haven't been strolling with the baby yet, but in terms of setting it up and using all the features, it's super easy. I set it up by myself and it's fairly light. The chair detaches easily so I'll be able to lug it up the 3 flights of stairs in my building no problem. So far I think it was well worth the cost (which is considerable). I look forward to strolling the baby all over the place. We're walking home from the hospital, so that will be my first test. :)

check with the hospital but i think they still make you bring a carseat even if you;re walking home. i only know because my hubby thought the carseat check was kinda dumb so we asked what they would do if you were taking the bus....what if you were walking......and they said you still had to show it. i dunno...

that said...how far away do you live from the hospital? you might be surprised at how uncomfortable walking is afterwards...

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#44 of 55 Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post

check with the hospital but i think they still make you bring a carseat even if you;re walking home. i only know because my hubby thought the carseat check was kinda dumb so we asked what they would do if you were taking the bus....what if you were walking......and they said you still had to show it. i dunno...

that said...how far away do you live from the hospital? you might be surprised at how uncomfortable walking is afterwards...

I will ask them for sure, but plan on making a fuss if they say I have to have one. I live 2 blocks from the hospital and don't have a car. I can't see trying to get a cab to bring me two blocks. I'm not expecting it to be a pleasure stroll, but I think it's very doable. At any rate I have to walk up three flights of stairs to get to my apartment, so might as well have the warm up. :)

#45 of 55 Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

Quote:

I will ask them for sure, but plan on making a fuss if they say I have to have one. I live 2 blocks from the hospital and don't have a car. I can't see trying to get a cab to bring me two blocks. I'm not expecting it to be a pleasure stroll, but I think it's very doable. At any rate I have to walk up three flights of stairs to get to my apartment, so might as well have the warm up. :)

true true.

it's possible it varies state by state or even hospital by hospital.

#46 of 55 Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 PM

i'm just getting a basic suitable from birth umbrella fold pushchair , will be more for Caden when he doesn't want to walk cos i have 2 stretchy wraps, a ring sling, a mai tei, a ergo and primaxx baby bag for Xander plus a tommy explorer and a baby bjorn

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#47 of 55 Old 02-07-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

hey beckyandthreelittlemonsters, out of all the carriers you listed...what is your fave?

#48 of 55 Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM

for those who said they might be interested in a BOB, amazon currently has some at 25% off.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#49 of 55 Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM

can anyone comment on the

Chicco Liteway Stroller

?

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#50 of 55 Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

can anyone comment on the

Chicco Liteway Stroller

?

is that the umbrella-type one that reclines? 

if so, my friend has it and i would get it in a heartbeat over a pricier maclaren or whatnot. but like with any umbrella stroller there are tradeoffs. it's super easy to transport and stow and carry but it's rough going over any sort of terrain. for that it all depends on what is more important to you. 

#51 of 55 Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:

is that the umbrella-type one that reclines? 

if so, my friend has it and i would get it in a heartbeat over a pricier maclaren or whatnot. but like with any umbrella stroller there are tradeoffs. it's super easy to transport and stow and carry but it's rough going over any sort of terrain. for that it all depends on what is more important to you. 

Yes. That's it. Good to know that you like your friend's! Thanks smile.gif

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#52 of 55 Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM

Babywearing rec's:  Babyhawk, babyhawk, babyhawk!!!! I can't recommend it enough. I LOVE ours. We've gone through over 20 carriers since my first was born, to find one that suits my unique needs due to disability and chronic pain, and Babyhawk is by FAR the best.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#53 of 55 Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 AM

just chiming in on this - most hospitals in NYC will TELL you it's state law that the baby has to leave in a car seat, but the actual state law is that any child riding in a CAR has to have a car seat, not that any child leaving the hospital has to have a car seat. 

reelgeek, I'd double check CA law on that one (knowing what you're talking about when you tell the hospital to f--- off is always good - hehehehehe), but I'd personally leave AMA if "not having a carseat" was the reason they were keeping me... I would probably threaten to call my attorney (my boss) and my friends in the media as well, but that's just me.

I'm planning a homebirth, but if I end up in the hospital, I'm either taking the subway or a cab home (more likely the subway).

FYI, in NY, cabs and livery vehicles are exempt from car seat laws... I'm not sure if I'd actually take a cab without a car seat, but I'm not sure I can see myself buying a carseat for a single 10 block cab ride either (I NEVER take cabs).

As for the original topic of this thread... no strollers for us!  We've got an ergo baby and a moby wrap - we'll see how those do once the kiddo gets here!

We mostly take the subway, and strollers tend to be OBNOXIOUS to other passengers on the subway/bus (flame away, but they ARE, especially since nobody seems to fold and carry them like they're supposed to, and I can't tell you how many mamas can't carry the weight of the stroller up/down the stairs, so they need to rely on the assistance of strangers)

Quote:
true true.

it's possible it varies state by state or even hospital by hospital.

#54 of 55 Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:

reelgeek, I'd double check CA law on that one (knowing what you're talking about when you tell the hospital to f--- off is always good - hehehehehe), but I'd personally leave AMA if "not having a carseat" was the reason they were keeping me... I would probably threaten to call my attorney (my boss) and my friends in the media as well, but that's just me.

I talked to the people at the birthing center and they said that if you say you're walking home, then they don't require you to have a car seat. They don't even physically check for your car seat either if you tell them you're driving home. They just make you sign something saying that you told them you had one for liability reasons. :)

#55 of 55 Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

just chiming in on this - most hospitals in NYC will TELL you it's state law that the baby has to leave in a car seat, but the actual state law is that any child riding in a CAR has to have a car seat, not that any child leaving the hospital has to have a car seat. 

I'm planning a homebirth, but if I end up in the hospital, I'm either taking the subway or a cab home (more likely the subway).

FYI, in NY, cabs and livery vehicles are exempt from car seat laws... I'm not sure if I'd actually take a cab without a car seat, but I'm not sure I can see myself buying a carseat for a single 10 block cab ride either (I NEVER take cabs).

As for the original topic of this thread... no strollers for us!  We've got an ergo baby and a moby wrap - we'll see how those do once the kiddo gets here!

We mostly take the subway, and strollers tend to be OBNOXIOUS to other passengers on the subway/bus (flame away, but they ARE, especially since nobody seems to fold and carry them like they're supposed to, and I can't tell you how many mamas can't carry the weight of the stroller up/down the stairs, so they need to rely on the assistance of strangers)

No new stroller here...I've had a Peg Perego since my first was born and that's all I ever use when I ever use it which is typically only at the state fair every August.lol.gif  Otherwise I use a wrap(I have 5redface.gif) or an Ergo(only once they are older)...I have to say I much prefer wearing my baby vs lugging a stroller around.  I would really love a jogger/bike trailer though but who knows if we'll ever get one.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page