What type of stroller is everyone going with??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a first time mom so, the advice I'm getting from mothers is don't go out and buy a crazy full featured stroller until you know what you will be using it for.  Everyone has recommended the car seat and snap on frame first.  I guess it makes sense.  My ultimate goal is to have a light weight easy to maneuver stroller that can get around the streets of NYC and some NJ suburbs and most importantly not take up a lot of space in my Prius.  Any recos??  Thanks in advance and hope everyone is feeling well.  I'm 23 weeks and feeling pretty good except for a darn cold!

#2 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM

that's exactly what we got, the kind that the car seat snaps into (like this).  didn't really want something with a bunch of bells and whistles and knew we probably wouldn't use it that much.  it was super convenient and light.  so easy to open and close and get the car seat in and out of.  great when i had a lot of errands to run and dd would fall asleep in the car.  didn't have to take her out of the car seat, just take the car seat out of the car and put it into the frame.

we also got a bob ironman so we could run with her and this so we could snap her car seat into that as well.

we don't plan on doing anything differently with this baby.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#3 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM

I think it depends on where you will use the stroller.  I have the BabyTrend(???) stroller that you snap the infant car seat into and love that for the early months.  I also have a Bob stroller and that is a huge fave for outdoor walks/jobs/ trail hikes, etc.  The Bob is also great at the beach or on any uneven surfaces.  I also have a double Graco stroller (back-to-back).  It's just okay but we use it only on a rare occasion when we go to a big park or zoo and need something like that.  There are some really cool strollers out there now and a lot depends on your budget.  Personally, I'm more of a sling person so if I can put baby in a sling, I will.  I usually end up using a stroller at some point though as I am very small and my two DDs were super chubby by 6 mths so I could only do the slings for short times. 

#4 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM

I have a Graco one that fully reclines and has a foot rest that lifts up and snaps into place so when using with a smaller infant, they won't slide out. It's one of those big ones with a tray and basket in the bottom, but we do a lot of family outings and I'll be walking 16 blocks a day to get DS to/from school. The basket IMO is a must have for bottles, diaper bags and whatnot for longer outings, which are typically the type we tend to take.

#5 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies....its so hard making these decisions.  I hear so many people go thru multiple strollers because they buy ones that are trendy, with too many bells and whistles, etc. and they end up being too heavy or not what they needed and end up just buying something simple like a Maclaren. Hmmm...thanks again for your advice..Much appreciated.

#6 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM

i'm not planning on buying a stroller. maybe an umbrella stroller at some point in the future for malls or something but i just plan on babywearing exclusively. we spent a lot of money on a quinny when haye was young and it was good for us as we didn't have a car and lived in edmonton, alberta during the winter and it was friggin cold...it was great for groceries on the bus. we don't really have the need for one here though i don't think.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#7 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM

I had a graco travel system with car seat that snaps in with my first. It was nice. If you are 5'6" or shorter - you could get by with one of those cheap $20 strollers but the car seat doesn't snap in with those and you have to wait til baby is like 3 and a half to 4 months old with those. 

I have a sit and stand now. Since I got lots of kiddos. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#8 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 PM

I'll be continuing to use my loyal BRIO 4WD.  Ok it's not really a 4WD but when I see pictures of those American strollers it really seems like a truck in comparison.

It looks like this: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/crazy_birdlady/barnadot2008009.jpg  The picture is missing the canopy and I usually turn it so that the baby is facing me.  I'll probably just stick with having it like that since it can lay back completely. It also comes with a more of a basket thing but I figure that I can switch between having DD and the baby in there as I need. I'll also have a mei tai and a stand so I can wear the baby and let DD stand when she doesnt want to walk.

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40
#9 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

i'm not planning on buying a stroller. maybe an umbrella stroller at some point in the future for malls or something but i just plan on babywearing exclusively. we spent a lot of money on a quinny when haye was young and it was good for us as we didn't have a car and lived in edmonton, alberta during the winter and it was friggin cold...it was great for groceries on the bus. we don't really have the need for one here though i don't think.

as smilies aren't working with my Safari browser these days...pretend that I just inserted the "exactly what she said" smiley:)

We still have our Quinny from 7 (eek!) years ago and I'm sure we'll use it on occasion once baby nears 1, but we'll be babywearing almost exclusively. 

ps- Ryleeee- are you on TBW?

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#10 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM

I think those snap and go things are so great.  You can't go wrong with them, I think, because they are super handy and portable, and they're easy to sell when you're done with them.  I see ads all the time from people looking to purchase one second hand.

We got a Quinny travel system as a gift from my inlaws with DS1 and we used the stroller alot (and the car seat, obviously) with him, but DS2 HATED the car seat and the stroller, so although the car seat was used out of necessity, the stroller has sat pretty much unused for 3+ years now.  It takes up space and it sucks to think we could have bought an infant bucket for a reasonable price and gotten one of those snap and gos second hand for a low price...BIG difference from what got spent on the Quinny system (the car seat part of which is now partially recalled AND expired)! 

#11 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM

We did babywearing exclusively with the girls, but are thinking of a bob this time around - dp is a runner and the primary caregiver, and is already worried about keeping up his training, so I'm thinking a jogging stroller would be a good "keep your sanity" expenditure.

Samstress - how do you like the ironman? I'm trying to decide which version might suit us...

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#12 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamiel View Post
Samstress - how do you like the ironman? I'm trying to decide which version might suit us...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.  it's a bit pricey, but we definitely got our money's worth.  still in great condition (bought it in june 2007 when dd was just two months old) and plan on using it with this baby as well.  dh is a x-country coach and was able to do practice runs with his team (keeping up with his fastest kids, may i add) while pushing our daughter in the bob (with the infant car seat adapter).  very maneuverable and great on dirt or pavement.  can't recommend it enough.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#13 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM

I definitely second the recommendation for the frame that you can use with your infant carrier at first. Then you can take some time to evaluate what you really need. We ended up with a baby jogger city mini, which is ok for our purposes. It's a lot cheaper than the bob, and is pretty good on hiking trails. I sometimes wish we had a cheap umbrella stroller though.

I was pretty much an exclusive babywearer, though, and didn't end up using our stroller until very recently when my belly started growing, so take my recs with a grain of salt.

You should also keep in mind that your LO may have a very different idea about whether he/she would prefer to be strolled or worn.. it can definitely go both ways. In our case, our DD took a while to warm up to both, but I was more persistent with the babywearing because I wanted to be able to talk to her while we were out and about. Recently she's been able to tolerate short stroller rides when there's stuff to look at, but this is somewhat of a new development (at 24 months).

#14 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 06:04 PM

DDC crashing..... :)

We have a Prius, too. We have a Joovy Kooper (in "lemon tree" yelloe...love the color!) and a BOB Revolution. We love both, and both fit (folded) in the back of the Prius, although the BOB does take up quite a bit of room. The Joovy is a great stroller, has nice padding, full recline, huge sunshade, nice colors. My only two gripes are that it doesn't stand on its own when folded and the lock mechanism is kind of a pain. I often just lift it without locking it to put it in the Prius. 

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#15 of 55 Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
tzs

the snap frame is a great idea to start. 

we have a phil and teds which i got because i wanted a jogger and i liked the capability to turn into a double...but it is heavy and bulkier.

my nyc pals who want something lighter and more convenient than the bugaboo things and more hearty than a maclaren get the city mini. i gotta admit that if it weren't for the fact that i use mine alot off road (at dog parks etc...) and want the big jogger wheels, i'd totally go for the city mini. it also has the capability of adapting to carseats.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#16 of 55 Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 AM

I am really glad we didn't spend any money on a stroller with DS, since we *never* (and I mean, absolutely never!) used it! I got it from a coworker, cheap, and I was mostly just buying the car seat, it just 'came' with the stroller, so I figured, whatever, if we need it we'll have it.

but Z still (at 18mos) has never been in a stroller. He outgrew the car seat one a while ago. We just babywear exclusively. Both my DH and I wear him, and even my MIL smile.gif

with two, we might look into getting one, not sure. But we'll wait on that. I now just got a larger hand-me-down stroller that we can use in a pinch if need be. But I am not buying one until its clear we'll use one!

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#17 of 55 Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM

We plan on getting the Chicco Cortina travel system. DH is very tall, so we don't have many options, and this is one we both liked. 

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#18 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Wow guys..thanks for the advice..looks like City Mini, Bobs and snap n go are the preference here.  Its so good to hear from mom's who have experience!!!  Thanks again!  Good luck to all!

#19 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Thank you for this thread!  As a first-time mom, I've also been wondering what in the world is actually essential, and what we really need for the baby. Good stuff!  

Now, my next question is: if we don't own a car, and we rarely drive anywhere (and you can hire car services w/ car seats to get to airports, and rent cars w/ car seats), and we're planning a homebirth so hopefully we won't even need a carseat to take the baby home from the hospital in, do you really think we need one?  Essential or not?

"We have a secret in our culture - it's not the birth is painful, it's that women are strong." --Laura Stavoe Harm
#20 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

I'm a first time Mom, but I've done a pile of research for my particular needs and I'm going with a 'bells and whistles' stroller called 'Stokke'.

http://www.stokke.com/en-us/stroller/xplory-features/facing-you.aspx

I live in San Francisco, do not own a car and walk everywhere. I take the trains for transit and like to eat at restaurants that do not necessarily have baby seats. So the features of being able to raise the seat up to my level (I'm tall - so this should be a back saver) and use it as a baby seat when eating out would be great. I also like that you can use it from newborn (even though I'm not getting the bassinet) to about 3-4 years old. The up and down stair feature is also pretty handy and I think I'll use it a lot.

I've heard it's fairly large for car trunks, but that's not a concern I have.

#21 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

I'm a first time Mom, but I've done a pile of research for my particular needs and I'm going with a 'bells and whistles' stroller called 'Stokke'.

http://www.stokke.com/en-us/stroller/xplory-features/facing-you.aspx

I live in San Francisco, do not own a car and walk everywhere. I take the trains for transit and like to eat at restaurants that do not necessarily have baby seats. So the features of being able to raise the seat up to my level (I'm tall - so this should be a back saver) and use it as a baby seat when eating out would be great. I also like that you can use it from newborn (even though I'm not getting the bassinet) to about 3-4 years old. The up and down stair feature is also pretty handy and I think I'll use it a lot.

I've heard it's fairly large for car trunks, but that's not a concern I have.

i've heard great things about this stroller (i'd hope so with the price tag).  can't vouch for it personally, but i can vouch for the stokke brand.  we used their tripp trapp high chair with dd for over two years and LOVED it.  will definitely be using it again.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#22 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 PM

We're getting a jogging stroller from a friend.  I looking at buying either a basic-ish stroller that reclines, or a snap and go type.  Part of our issue is that we haven't decided if we're getting an infant seat or just going straight to convert able.  I'm thinking of registering for an infant seat and seeing if we get it.  If not, we'll buy the convert able and figure out the stroller thing later.  I also plan to baby wear as much as possible anyway, so I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Baby 1 due in May
#23 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM

After doing the bulky travel systems with two kids, I'm doing the infant carseat + "frame" at first, and then when she's out of the infant carseat, I'm switching to a Maclaren (perhaps Quest or Triumph?).  I don't need it to FULLY recline, but I do want it to recline some... I just have a Maclaren Volo right now that I purchased when my son was 3 (so I didn't really need it to recline).  But I LOVE how lightweight and compact it is.  I advised my sister to go with a Maclaren when she had her son in March (for when he got a little older) and she has been REALLY happy with it.

I also have a BOB and plan to get the infant seat adapter for it... it's really nice for our outdoor trips, but to keep in the car for the mall, quick trips, etc., I plan to use the "frame" for the carseat and then the Maclaren.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#24 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

yes i am on there fairly often but i don't have an account. i should probably make one!

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#25 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_CNM View Post

Thank you for this thread!  As a first-time mom, I've also been wondering what in the world is actually essential, and what we really need for the baby. Good stuff!  

Now, my next question is: if we don't own a car, and we rarely drive anywhere (and you can hire car services w/ car seats to get to airports, and rent cars w/ car seats), and we're planning a homebirth so hopefully we won't even need a carseat to take the baby home from the hospital in, do you really think we need one?  Essential or not?

yes, i definitely still think you need one just for emergency situations like taking a cab to the ER with a sick baby in the middle of the night!!

#26 of 55 Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowsocks View Post

We're getting a jogging stroller from a friend.  I looking at buying either a basic-ish stroller that reclines, or a snap and go type.  Part of our issue is that we haven't decided if we're getting an infant seat or just going straight to convert able.  I'm thinking of registering for an infant seat and seeing if we get it.  If not, we'll buy the convert able and figure out the stroller thing later.  I also plan to baby wear as much as possible anyway, so I don't want to spend a ton of money.

I definitely vote for the infant seat! If you have a very sensitive/easily agitated baby, it's MUCH easier to get them all buckled in inside the house, and then just snap them in the car. I usually popped my DD out into a pouch or wrap if we were out together for any length of time, but was still glad that I had the option to take the infant carrier out for a very quick trip out of the car. There are also those wonderfully mellow babies (so I've heard, at least) who will fall asleep in the car, and stay asleep if you bring the carrier inside. And then there's the convenience of the snap and go stroller frames, where you can just take them directly from car to stroller without the whole buckling and unbuckling fiasco. Finally, most infant seats recline further than the convertibles, so better for sleeping.

#27 of 55 Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysmile View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowsocks View Post

I definitely vote for the infant seat! If you have a very sensitive/easily agitated baby, it's MUCH easier to get them all buckled in inside the house, and then just snap them in the car. I usually popped my DD out into a pouch or wrap if we were out together for any length of time, but was still glad that I had the option to take the infant carrier out for a very quick trip out of the car. There are also those wonderfully mellow babies (so I've heard, at least) who will fall asleep in the car, and stay asleep if you bring the carrier inside. And then there's the convenience of the snap and go stroller frames, where you can just take them directly from car to stroller without the whole buckling and unbuckling fiasco. Finally, most infant seats recline further than the convertibles, so better for sleeping.

i vote for infant seat as well. i know alot of people think it's a waste but newborns are so floppy that it's not the easiest to get them in and out when the seat is in the car. add to that teh fact that they're asleep half the time you pull them out and with the bucket you can just transport them inside to continue the nap. and then there's crappy weather. i had dd as a baby in the winter in the midwest so for me getting her in the bucket indoors was essential but i imagine in the spring/summer there could be really rainy days where the bucket would make it easier. totally worth $100 in my eyes.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#28 of 55 Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

NYC_CNM -  I'm in NYC about half the time and I do own a car as well, but also take a cab alot.  I would still use the carseat in NYC as you can strap car seats into the back seats of cabs with their seat belts-when purchasing one, you just have to make sure they are the kind that can be used with or without the base.  It would also work well with the snap and go frame til you decide what type of stroller you really need...Do you really want to use the car seats provided by limo services?  Who knows what's been in there?  That's just me!!!

I'm going with the car seat/snap n go until I see what's what.

#29 of 55 Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 PM

we have a phil and ted.  doubl;e. and i love it. i walk from my home around a downtown and old town area.  the big wheels save me on the cracked sidewalks and bumpy streets. it is pretty heavy but i like the steel consturction for its durability.  we have two kids and will put another in it and maybe one more after this babe. so i wanted it to last.  It does different configs and will lie flat for a babe, but mine both have not strolled until 6mo plus.  so i will prob wear this babe until then. it does fold up as small as the old jogger i used to have, but i does suit my needs. 

For what it is worth.  i didn't get a stroller with my first until after 6 mo old and we decided what i needed one for.  For trip s in the car or with the hub we just baby wear.  For walking trips the stroller is nice, once they get big or hot

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#30 of 55 Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Hi,

I regret our stroller for our first born. We had an Ingelsina Zippy with a bassinet attachment that cost over 500 bucks and we never really used it. I think a simple snap and go like Baby Trend is great when they are young and when they grow out of it, an umbrella stroller. That's still our go to stroller since it's so light and easy. If you like to jog or need an off road type, we also enjoyed our Bob stroller.

-Heather

Wife to DH, mommy to DS(4/23/08) and 3rdtri.gifdue in May!selectivevax.gifcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page