Fetal Sleep Patterns Altered, Less Strong Fetal Movement, Lower Fetal Movement @ 24 Weeks. Concern or Normal? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe I'm over analyzing this because I was placed on Flagyl 3 days ago, but I've noticed there's a change in fetal movements all around, and I'm a wee bit concerned considering I don't like what I've read about the med.

Baby used to be active in afternoon mostly. Then it switched and it switched again now to early morning hours (when sleeping/waking) and late night (actually early morning as it's 12am or later) when I'm trying to go to sleep. The kicks used to be tons big and small near upper/middle belly. Now the kicks are just above the pubic area on the sides mostly and not as strong as a rule (though I do get the occasional big kick still)

Is it something to do with baby's position that I seem to feel less? I also seem to feel more when on my side in bed and the baby is on that side kicking in the space between me and the bed. Or is it something to do with this dicy med that the er doctor put me on?

I called my midwife and made my first apt and mentioned the medicine to them then as I had already read bad stuff online about it. She asked if they knew I was pregnant (they did) and said it "should" be safe then. Still, I'm concerned. Too many drugs in this pregnancy when I wanted none. (this is my 4th type of antibiotic and 5th prescription for antibiotics this pregnancy for varied infections)

Would you be concerned enough to call or would you finish the meds as instructed and just wait til your apt (in my case that's Tuesday after I've finished the medicine)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 AM

I don't know much about Flagyl.  Chances are the baby is just lying with it's back to you and so you aren't feeling the kicks as much but if you feel in your gut that there could be an issue than I'd phone and ask to go in for a quick check of the baby's heartbeat and a scan.  I can usually tell when the baby has moved to it's back facing out as I get this odd bump on my side which I'm guessing is baby's buttocks or head.  If you are still feeling kicks but in different areas, chances are the baby has shifted positions and it coincides with this med.

#3 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 AM

I don't know, I just assumed it was normal, especially when still in the 2nd trimester, for patterns to not be clearly established yet and/or change. Some days I feel my baby down low, some days to either side (or both at once), some days near the top--I am not an expert by any means but I don't know that it's anything to worry about.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 AM

I agree with KarenMT...I still notice some pretty big shifts in activity (my perception of it, anyway) from day to day and I just assume it's a position thing.  But if you're worried, it can't hurt to check for peace of mind.

#5 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, so it's probably all coincidental. I was hoping it was only that. Yeah, early on when I first felt the kicks it was like clockwork when she was active. That lasted about 4 weeks or so, then it's kinda changed a couple times since then. I do still feel kicks daily, and figured that was a pretty good sign things were okay.

I would maybe go in to be sure, only the doctor is 25 miles away. The hospital 2 blocks away doesn't do prenatal care except for emergencies. I was guessing the kicks being lower and less felt did correspond to positioning, but figured a lil piece of mind doesn't hurt either. Thanks, ladies!

#6 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM

I haven't been on a lot of medication, but the other day I did not feel baby all day long..

I drank a cup of orange juice, layed down on the sofa and put music on and earphones on my stomach...baby had turned and way kicking away within minutes...

Maybe try something similar if you don't feel a lot of movement and see if it picks up.

Happily married mother of a tiny angel angel.gif (12/06 at 5 weeks) Maya Elizabeth dust.gif (12/07) and our full term angel Mateo German angel2.gif (Lost during labor on 06/01/11) Currently pregnant with our naturally conceived twin rainbow1284.gif's due 8/15/2012!

#7 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, I was going to suggest that's it's most likely a change in baby's position.  Mine is flipping around like crazy still.  Some days I notice a ton of strong kicks and other days hardly anything.  I'm glad she moved off of my bladder...for now!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3 and DS1)
#8 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM

I've noticed differences in patterns of movement the last few weeks too.  In fact, I also sometimes go all day or most of a day without feeling anything.  It's incredibly disconcerting and I was going to ask my midwife about it at my next appointment.  I notice if I haven't felt anything in a while and I sit down, lean back, and eat or drink something I can usually get some movement going. 

Baby 1 due in May
#9 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriserenee View Post

I haven't been on a lot of medication, but the other day I did not feel baby all day long..

I drank a cup of orange juice, layed down on the sofa and put music on and earphones on my stomach...baby had turned and way kicking away within minutes...

Maybe try something similar if you don't feel a lot of movement and see if it picks up.

I've noticed a few things that seem to get her to kick up a storm and two of them are oranges and ketchup. Either she loves them or she hates them and is punishing me, LOL. Nah, it's probably all in the sugar. ;-) She had a pretty active moment earlier pushing, kicking, rolling, I dunno, but those 30 minutes were more activity than she had over the last 3 days combined. Must have just gotten herself into a stuck position or a really comfy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowsocks View Post

I've noticed differences in patterns of movement the last few weeks too.  In fact, I also sometimes go all day or most of a day without feeling anything.  It's incredibly disconcerting and I was going to ask my midwife about it at my next appointment.  I notice if I haven't felt anything in a while and I sit down, lean back, and eat or drink something I can usually get some movement going. 

Those days with little to no movement are spooky, aren't they? I don't think I'd have been so concerned if it wasn't for the meds, but after being on so many of them I tend to worry just a wee bit more. Hopefully your midwife will have an answer that will rest your mind at ease for the next few months we have left to go.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page