birth announcements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-19-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

no, not that kind!  too soon for that.

i'm wondering how all of you will be announcing the birth of your babes.  formal announcements?  e-mails?

i thought about e-mailing (it's easier, quicker and cheaper), but i'd like to send announcements to family (i've got a large extended one) and i don't have most of their e-mail addresses.  i have everyone's mailing address.

also, is there any etiquette regarding such things when it's your second (or third or fourth...) child?  i sent these...

birth announcement.jpg

when dd was born and was thinking of something similar, but was wondering if it's not something that people do with subsequent children.

if you are sending announcements, what are you doing?  making them yourself?  having them done (where, by whom)? 

thanks, just looking for thoughts and ideas.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#2 of 14 Old 01-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Each baby is a new blessing so I'm all about announcing each one. In contrast, baby showers seem to be a first time thing only in my opinion and from what I've seen. 

So, I'll likely do both formal and informal. I'll probably make up something like what you put up but possibly homemade by hubby but through the mail to close friends and family. Then just put up an informal announcement on facebook. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 14 Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM

We did formal announcements for both and I plan on doing the same for this little one:)  Sam- where did you find that adorable announcement? So sweet:) Can you email something like that?

Also- not sure if anyone would be interested, but if you send a birth announcement to the White House (you can google for exact office/address) you get a letter back from the current president welcoming baby into the world.  Something neat for the baby books!

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#4 of 14 Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM

We never did announcements for our son we just called everyone and told them the news that way. They saw him soon enough. for this one I'm going to send a photo message to a couple family members others will learn via phone calls, email and whatever contact I have with them based mostly on distance.

#5 of 14 Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinbearzmama View Post

We did formal announcements for both and I plan on doing the same for this little one:)  Sam- where did you find that adorable announcement? So sweet:) Can you email something like that?

Also- not sure if anyone would be interested, but if you send a birth announcement to the White House (you can google for exact office/address) you get a letter back from the current president welcoming baby into the world.  Something neat for the baby books!

i was pretty sure i'd gotten them at photo affections, but when i went to their website and tried to sign in, i was told i didn't have an account.  they don't offer the e-mail service, but i've found a bunch of places that do.  although some charge as much as $50 which seems ridiculous to me. 

thanks for the tip about sending an announcement to the white house.  i feel like i've heard about this before, but had forgotten.  it would be neat for the baby book.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#6 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 AM

I, too, feel like each baby should have an announcement of some sort.  I love the idea of hand-made announcements, but I'm pretty sure I won't have (or make) the time to do one.  My mom (who is super crafty) did Traftyn's and I thought they came out so beautiful!!..so I'll probably enlist her help again.

I'm on the fence about baby showers..I think that each baby should be honored by a celebration of sorts, but necessarily a typical baby shower.  I'd like to do a blessingway this time around, and my mom also wants to throw a little shower for me after the sprout is here (she suggested perhaps a diaper party where family/friends could purchase a cloth diaper to help with the stash) or something else needed?  I told her I appreciated the thought and if she wanted to throw one I would, of course, be there, but I didn't want anyone to feel obligated to come ...???

#7 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllOne430 View Post

I, too, feel like each baby should have an announcement of some sort.  I love the idea of hand-made announcements, but I'm pretty sure I won't have (or make) the time to do one.  My mom (who is super crafty) did Traftyn's and I thought they came out so beautiful!!..so I'll probably enlist her help again.

I'm on the fence about baby showers..I think that each baby should be honored by a celebration of sorts, but necessarily a typical baby shower.  I'd like to do a blessingway this time around, and my mom also wants to throw a little shower for me after the sprout is here (she suggested perhaps a diaper party where family/friends could purchase a cloth diaper to help with the stash) or something else needed?  I told her I appreciated the thought and if she wanted to throw one I would, of course, be there, but I didn't want anyone to feel obligated to come ...???

ok.  glad the consensus is that announcements are ok for ALL children.

as for showers, someone asked me the other day if i'm having one.  well, gee, i don't know.  if someone throws one for me. smile.gif  i certainly won't be throwing one for myself.  i kinda think they're unnecessary for any baby after the first (unless you're having them many years apart and have probably gotten rid of everything).  i can also see maybe co-workers or people you didn't know the first time around throwing you one.  honestly, i just don't need much stuff. 

the blessingway sounds nice or the diaper party.  small and simple, where you do get something you need. 

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#8 of 14 Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM

We did a birth announcement with DD2 and the picture was of DD1 holding her new sister and the text was to the effect of "Madeline would like to share with you her new baby sister.. "  Everyone loved it and most relatives still have it somewhere up on the fridge.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#9 of 14 Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM

I am a bit of a nerd and am really looking forward to creating a birth announcement. This is our first and I'm a graphic designer, so I'm pumped :)

The announcement I create will be formatted for both print and web. I want to use the same image to create a postcard and then also email it or put on facebook. One of my friends created a magnet for a birth announcement. I loved it and her baby girl is still on my fridge! So I might look into that.

If you are looking for cheap printing resources, check out vistaprint.com. They have a lot of pre-designed ideas.

If you are looking for something custom, I would be happy to create something for you. PM and I can give you some more info.

#10 of 14 Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeliberato View Post

I am a bit of a nerd and am really looking forward to creating a birth announcement. This is our first and I'm a graphic designer, so I'm pumped :)

The announcement I create will be formatted for both print and web. I want to use the same image to create a postcard and then also email it or put on facebook. One of my friends created a magnet for a birth announcement. I loved it and her baby girl is still on my fridge! So I might look into that.

If you are looking for cheap printing resources, check out vistaprint.com. They have a lot of pre-designed ideas.

If you are looking for something custom, I would be happy to create something for you. PM and I can give you some more info.

i just may do that (PM you, that is).

i like the idea of the magnet.  we did a magnet when we sent out our "save the date" for our wedding.  if i get a magnet, i'll keep it on my fridge forever (maybe others will too).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#11 of 14 Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM

Oh my goodness!  I hadn't even thought of this yet. 

But then again, I'm still writing our thank you notes from our wedding in July.  Guess I better get these out before the birth announcements go out.  LOL!

I've noticed there are some really great options on Etsy

wink1.gif

#12 of 14 Old 01-21-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summatime View Post

Oh my goodness!  I hadn't even thought of this yet. 

But then again, I'm still writing our thank you notes from our wedding in July.  Guess I better get these out before the birth announcements go out.  LOL!

wink1.gif

you sound like me when i was pregnant with my first.  we were married in july and dd was due in april.  it took me a very long time to get all my thank yous out, but was determined to get them out before any birth announcements were sent. 

i had actually browsed at etsy, but didn't see anything i liked.  but quickly looking at the link you posted, i see some cute stuff.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#13 of 14 Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Samstress -- I love that announcement, it's darling. And such a pretty name!

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinbearzmama View Post

awww, that does sound awfully neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllOne430 View Post

This is my first but I definitely like the idea of each baby being honored, welcomed, etc. by a celebration. And even though this is my first, I'm hoping my baby shower can sort of have more of a blessingway feel to it. My stepmom is throwing mine and going to let me give her input shy.gif, so I'm hoping it can be more in this direction. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by summatime View Post

Looooove etsy. I've noticed though, if I'm really looking for something, I have to dig and dig, and then when I'm just browsing, it seems to easy too find stuff I love!

As for me - I'm definitely going to send out an email and post a little announcement on facebook with a photo after the birth, and then I'll send out a more formal announcement as well, hopefully just a couple weeks to a month after she's born. Hopefully... haha.
My husband's cousin had a really cool wedding invitation, it was 5x7 postcard style, with one of their engagement photos on the front, and that's it, just the photo. Then on the back, was all the information for the wedding, etc. The picture was so lovely and I didn't have a lot of photos of them, so I framed it to place with other family photos on the wall. I was thinking I would do this idea for the announcements, so that way the front is a lovely photo and all the info is on the back. I really like plain designs though....! :)

Dani - madly in love with Neil. Lost our little twins brokenheart.gif brokenheart.gif (6/10). So excited to meet our baby girl Ember rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gif in May!

#14 of 14 Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 PM

I really like your announcements!  Too cute!  We had some really cute announcements for my daughter that I liked so well that I will use the same kind for this next one.  There is an invitations company that does birth announcements as well.  My shower invites matched my birth announcements, as I am all about the theme running through everything I send out to people.  I am excited to have this new little one with me, so I can get all of this business done and over with!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page