What Carseat are you getting??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry if this has been posted before.redface.gif

I have been going over and over and over carseat reviews, and I just don't know what one I want. I am leaning twords a Graco Snugride, but I am not sure if I want the normal one, or a snugride 32.

So what are you all getting and why?

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
#2 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 PM

We still have DS1's Snugride and will be using it until it expires this December (or until this babe outgrows it).  I love it - easy to use, the pattern is pretty, etc...  :)

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#3 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieD View Post

We still have DS1's Snugride and will be using it until it expires this December (or until this babe outgrows it).  I love it - easy to use, the pattern is pretty, etc...  :)

Do you have the normal Snugride? The one that holds up to 22 pounds? How long did your child fit in it until they grew out of it?

heartbeat.gif Expecting a baby boy May 10th!
#4 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 PM

We have a Britax Boulevard and two Cosco Sceneras.  I love the adjustability of the britax, but my oldest dd just doesnt like britax car seats for some reason.. LOL.. and I love the safety rating and price of the sceneras.

#5 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 02:28 PM

We are still debating on what to do, but our previous convertible carseats we used for that age range have expired.  Sooo we'll have to buy one this time.

I'm leaning towards getting a Sunshine Kids Radian birth-80 lbs or some such sounds good to me, plus it's narrow so it hopefully will sit well with our other carseat in the middle.  Our minivan will be full when the newbaby gets here with only 4 kids in the family (3 now 4 when baby is born), as the carseats are so wide you can't fit anybody else in there.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#6 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM

I have a 2009 Graco Snugride that I bought used for $25 from a nice looking family. It's the regular one that holds up to 22 lbs. I had one like it with my first son and it lasted until he was like 9 or 10 months old I think. He was a chunky boy. My second was chunky too but we had a back and forward facing transitional type car seat for him that he is still using at age 2 and will use (unless a crash) until he is 3.

If I were to buy new though - I'd get something that holds at least a 30 lb child. I saw a few of the new style infant car seats will do that.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 03:13 PM

I don't remember the weight limit right off hand (I think it is the 22 lb. - I remember when I bought it in the summer of 2005 that there were 2 different models of Snugride and ours was the higher one).  DS1 moved to a Marathon when he was 6-7 months old, but it wasn't because of his weight, I just didn't want to lug the bucket around anymore.  DS2 was in it longer - he didn't hit 20 lbs. until he was over a year old.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need Coffee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieD View Post

Do you have the normal Snugride? The one that holds up to 22 pounds? How long did your child fit in it until they grew out of it?

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#8 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 03:30 PM

This one looks particularly nice...

Chicco Keyfit

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#9 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm getting a Chicco Keyfit. My best friend's baby will be one in March so it's perfect timing to pass it down to me.  :) 

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#10 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM
tzs

i got the regular snugride with dd because it weighed the least out of all the seats (aside from maxi cosi which does not work as easily with carseat adapters and was recalled at the time). the 22 pound limit was no problem here. we used it up until recently and dd is 16 months. i think she maybe weighs 22 pounds now. a lower wight limit wouldn;t bother me even with a bigger sized kid. you really want to be able to carry it when they are tiny tiny newborn and are tricky to get in and out while it's in the car and often fall asleep in it, making transfer to the house easy. 

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#11 of 50 Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 PM

After much reading of reviews and perusal of how big my car actually is (the answer is small) we are going to get the Sunshine Kids 80SL convertible. I'm not into the snap in and out, leave the kid in the carseat thing, and I want one that will last as long as possible, yet still sit in the backseat of my tiny, tiny car. Or even the backseat of whatever tiny car I buy if we move.

The amount of different options out there for baby things is totally overwhelming, isn't it?

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#12 of 50 Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 AM

Our snugride was in a car accident right as our second kid was ready to get into a convertible, so we can't use the snugride and I'm wanting to avoid the temptation to leave this one in the car seat all the time ("Car seats are for the car..."). We're getting a Evenflo Triumph 65 that fits from birth to 65 lbs.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#13 of 50 Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 AM

I found a chicco keyfit (good through 2014) used on craigslist with two bases for $100!!!!

I chose that because a friend with a horrible back recommended it - if she can use it easily, it's gotta be easy in and easy out.

I totally stalked craigslist for a few months to find it.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#14 of 50 Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 AM

I have a Graco Snugride I've used with my two daughters but it just expired.  I am almost definitely buying a Snugride 32 as I like that it sort of forces a rear facing position.  The price difference is very minimal and I like the angle a bit better.  Whether I choose the regular or 32, I have a Britax Marathon waiting when this baby outgrows it.  DD1 is 6.5 yrs old but only weights 40 lbs.  Height wise- though, the Marathon is getting a bit snug so we'll probably switch her to a Graco Nautilus then.  I LOVE Britax car seats but I also think the Nautilus is a great seat as well.

#15 of 50 Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 AM

My mom is buying us the Britax Boulevard as a gift... so we still need to figure out what to get during that newborn phase.  We still have time, right?  :)

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#16 of 50 Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM

After reading lots of reviews on here, I'm going with the Graco My Ride 65.  It's a convertible (infant - 65 lbs) that I was able to register at Target for so I'm really hoping a family member buys it! orngbiggrin.gif  I'm also not a fan of the snap in&out, leave the baby in the carseat 24/7 style, so baby will get used to be transfered from carseat to sling/carrier.

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#17 of 50 Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndie View Post

I'm also not a fan of the snap in&out, leave the baby in the carseat 24/7 style, so baby will get used to be transfered from carseat to sling/carrier.

Yep, that always bothers me when I see people a foot away from their baby that is in an infant car seat and fussing and they just keep rocking the car seat.  I'm usually like WTH- take your child out of the plastic bucket.  We will use an infant car seat but only rarely let our babes stay in them.  I am really petite and long before most people stop lugging their kids in the infant car seat I give up and leave it there.  I do like that in the winter months you can bundle up the baby indoors in a warm car seat and bring them outside all covered up before placing in the car.  Since they can't wear a snowsuit/thick jacket in the car seat it was always nice to get my daughter's secured in the infant car seat and then cover them with blankets before going out in the cold and wind.

#18 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndie View Post

I'm also not a fan of the snap in&out, leave the baby in the carseat 24/7 style, so baby will get used to be transfered from carseat to sling/carrier.

Yep, that always bothers me when I see people a foot away from their baby that is in an infant car seat and fussing and they just keep rocking the car seat.  I'm usually like WTH- take your child out of the plastic bucket.  We will use an infant car seat but only rarely let our babes stay in them.  I am really petite and long before most people stop lugging their kids in the infant car seat I give up and leave it there.  I do like that in the winter months you can bundle up the baby indoors in a warm car seat and bring them outside all covered up before placing in the car.  Since they can't wear a snowsuit/thick jacket in the car seat it was always nice to get my daughter's secured in the infant car seat and then cover them with blankets before going out in the cold and wind.

while i totally agree that overuse of buckets is a problem (i even had a EI therapist tell me that she thought overuse was related to gross motor delays well into toddlerhood) they do have their uses.

-getting a newborn into the car during "weather." we have street parking including a march down slippery stairs (with a toddler in tow.) it was crucial during midwestern winters...which won't be an issue this time.

-keeping a sleeping baby sleeping. if my babe fell asleep in the car and then woke up, it was the end of that nap, even if it was only 10 minutes.

-not everyone can babywear, especially for extended time periods and especially right after birth when core muscles are shot. i needed that bucket for grocery shopping. i could wear her for short or relaxed stints at home but after my back going out several times with me ending up immobile literally on the floor, i knew i couldn't be the mom that wore the kid everywhere like i had planned

- helpful baby containment device. while this where alot of people really tend to overuse, taking that bucket into the bathroom ensured that i got a shower everyday during that postpartum phase where you feel the yickiest. and on top of that i think the shower noise relaxed her so much that she often fell asleep (she was a horrible napper.) a bouncy chair could do the same job but i was trying to be minimal on gear. 

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#19 of 50 Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 AM

I agree that bucket seats have their uses especially in winter and like the PP said - if baby is sleeping. I agree that if your baby is screaming and crying that it's good to get them out of the seat and check their diaper and maybe nurse and that they shouldn't be used all the time. I suppose some of those moms you see may be busy. If you have other kids, it's kinda hard to attend to everything at once. Sometimes you gotta let the baby cry. 

I remember with my second newborn, I was feeding my 2 year old and the baby was crying. I really couldn't leave to go to the baby cuz I had to finish feeding my 2 year old and I was living with my inlaws and they thought I should be able to do both things at once. I'm sorry, but I'm just not that talented. :)

#20 of 50 Old 01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
tzs

oh and one more virtue of buckets is their easy transferability. when dd was little(r) i could take her and her bucket and transfer in to any car i wanted to jump into. my pal has a babe the same age and we would go tons of places together....one of us would just bring the extra bucket. now that we're in convertables i feel seriously stuck until booster age. yeah...you can move them but it's heavy and bulky and takes forever to install. not worth a quick spontanious trip to get coffee. i can't just drop her off and grams and gramps with her bucket...i have to drop off the whole car now (or buy them another cheap one for the once in a while that they might use it)! ugh.....

luckily we still meet the bucket requirements so i can still use it for a while for those situations but in a few months our social life is going to go through some negative changes.

#21 of 50 Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 AM

I bought a Teutonia T-Tario 35.  Its basically a Snugride 35 with much nicer fabric.  Its made by the same people who make Graco which I believe is Rubbermaid so it works with all the Graco strolelrs and snugrider.

#22 of 50 Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM

I'm hesitant to buy used carseats on Craigslist or from anyone I don't know well because I have no idea if it was in an accident or properly cared for.  Chicco Keyfits are GREAT seats though. 

It's between that and a Graco Snugride for me.  It seems like it's hard to find a 22-lb seat (Graco Snugride) now but that's all I want... I don't like carrying my babies around in carseats when they're over 22 lbs... ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

I found a chicco keyfit (good through 2014) used on craigslist with two bases for $100!!!!

I chose that because a friend with a horrible back recommended it - if she can use it easily, it's gotta be easy in and easy out.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#23 of 50 Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM

My last baby didn't reach 22 lbs until she was like 18 months old LOL and my first one reached 22 lbs right at a year. I'm thinking that 22 lbs is plenty for us!  I'm hoping to find a 22 lb seat as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMamaBeth View Post

I'm hesitant to buy used carseats on Craigslist or from anyone I don't know well because I have no idea if it was in an accident or properly cared for.  Chicco Keyfits are GREAT seats though. 

It's between that and a Graco Snugride for me.  It seems like it's hard to find a 22-lb seat (Graco Snugride) now but that's all I want... I don't like carrying my babies around in carseats when they're over 22 lbs... ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

#24 of 50 Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Not sure exactly what we are going to do. I had a Snugride for my first two and they both HATED it. We switched to a Britax Roundabout after a couple months and they both liked that better. We gave away the Snugride thinking it would expire anyways by the time the next babe came. My friend has offered to let me borrow her Combi Connection Infant Seat. I generally don't like keeping baby in the car seat carrier all the time either... but it IS really useful when you have a sleeping baby that doesn't transfer well to something else w/o waking up (both my kids were like that).

mommy to DS (5/29/05) and DD (3/21/07) and DD #2 (5/3/11)
#25 of 50 Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 AM

I just bought the Snugride 35 and Quattro Tour Duo, both in Laguna Bay:

http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1763599 

http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1763587 

DD's bucket was expired. And BTW, using a bucket style seat does not mean someone is a 'leave the kid in the seat all the time' type. I find convertibles from birth with a tiny floppy body very difficult. And I don't do used carseats anymore, tho I did w/DD when I didn't realize the problem... now I'll save money anywhere else, just not on the safety items.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#26 of 50 Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 AM

Just an FYI for anyone looking for a standard SnugRide- Walmart and Target online have tons of styles.  I was going to go with the Snugride 32 but the more I think of it, I am just going to go with the standard one.  We have a Britax Marathon already ready to hand off and when I looked at my girls' growth charts they were barely 22 lbs at 15 mths. If this is a boy- he'll probably be a bit bigger but even then 12 mths is more than fine.  That said, I don't think I want to use the snugride past 1 yr anyways, so I am going to get a standard SnugRide.  I saw a cool pattern- groovy dots???- on Walmart.com and it is $86.  Definitely reasonable as our Britax's were around $225 but totally worth it- IMO.

#27 of 50 Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 PM

I used a chicco keyfit30 last go around and really liked it...but true to most reviews you'll find, the fabric is very "hot". Either use a prefold under the baby or a flannel receiving blanket to wick away sweat...

it was very easy to install in pretty much any vehicle BUT beware that your seats are deep enough..it fit in our stratus but really didnt in the jeep cherokee or the bmw

I have to check to see if it will fit in our quad cab yet...

the cover hold up really well to abusive washing though! and my daughter preferred to sleep in the darned thing more than anywhere else

#28 of 50 Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 AM

I haven't read through all this yet but, 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need Coffee View Post

So what are you all getting and why?

I have absolutely no idea.
I'm so glad to see this thread is here so I can read up on what the rest of you are doing!! I just started really looking at what we need (first living baby) and all this picking, choosing and wishlisting is overwhelming to me!

Dani - madly in love with Neil. Lost our little twins brokenheart.gif brokenheart.gif (6/10). So excited to meet our baby girl Ember rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gif in May!

#29 of 50 Old 02-13-2011, 02:23 PM

I went shopping last night at Babies R Us fully intending to purchase a Chicco Keyfit based on reviews.  I had read reviews stating that the sunshade wasn't as good but I couldn't believe how bad it was! We live in a hot area  so that concerned me in addition to a review that the fabric was really hot.  However, Dh talked me into this seat:

http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1759021 

It's adorable but it is lined with fleece everywhere! I'm worried it's going to be too hot.  He says that we never leave the baby in the seat anyway (and we haven't with our other two) and he plans to run the air condition in the car, so what difference does it make.  What do you think?

#30 of 50 Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
tzs

i would think that fleece would actually heat up less than the vinyl stuff when left in a parked car in the sun. and even if you do end up leaving a babe to nap in there during the summer, i don;t think fleece would be any hotter than the other stuff that doesn't absorb sweat at all.

i actually used a cotton car seat cover during the summer anyway (i know i know...the family safety board people would flame me for this...it's ok) because regular car seat fabric seems so not-breathable during hot summers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page