Anyone else with really dry skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just joined this forum, so, greetings!

I often have dryish skin--at least never greasy or oily. However, ever since the weather started get a lot colder and dryer (we live in Northern New England) my skin has been really sore. I am normally a small person, but gain around 40 lbs during pregnancy, so all my "curvier" parts, i.e sides, thighs, around my knees--anywhere that rubs on my clothes is getting red and irritated.  I take fish oil, and have been rubbing coconut oil on my dry patches, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

This is my third pregnancy, and all my kids have been summer babies, so it isn't my first time being pregnant during the winter, but it is my first pregnancy in New England (we used to live in Maryland). 

It doesn't help that my maternity jeans come up higher than normal jeans which rubs even more. So lately I just wear sweatpants at home and jeans for running into town--and I try not to carry my 18  month old around on my hip as much. 

Any ideas or hints? 

Thanks!

#2 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 02:18 PM

I love  Lush.  Seriously.  I got a couple massage bars, and one of their soaps (Buffy) that exfoliates and leaves you all moisturized.  I also got a lotion, but I use that less... the massage bars and the soap go a LONG way toward keeping my skin happy.  Even so, if I go a day or two without putting lotion on, I do get itchy. 

But yeah - my suggestion, find a massage oil/bar, a good lotion, and a good soap.  The wrong soaps can definitely leave you dry and itchy, even ones that claim to moisturize. 

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#3 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 PM

I use a homemade lotion bar of equal parts shea butter, coconut oil, and beewax.  You can read about it, including how to make your own, or where to order them, here.

#4 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM

I feel your pain!  My skin has been driving me crazy!! I have to keep showers to a minimum because after the shower is so annoying for so long till my skin recovers (itchy, dry and irritating).  I probably need to modify my routine, but right now I am using almond oil. It really is not think and penetrating enough I don't think for winter/pregnancy dry skin. I just ordered jojoba oil which I think will be much better (tho a small amount of almond oil on my face seems to work, then dab off extra with tissue). Having my  husband really slather it on and thoroughy rub in to my back and neck and places I can't reach has helped too.  I need to remix my lanolin concoction (lanolin, vit E oil, jojoba oil, castor oil) as I have run out of that too and I think that would help -- i am just going through everything so fast!

good luck!

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#5 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 PM

I have it terrible on my hands. They are always cracking open and bleeding, something that's NEVER happened before, so I guess it's pregnancy related. I haven't any solutions, though, but I'm right there with you with the misery element.

#6 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Gummibears:  have you tried straight castor oil? Sounds weird but it's SO thick and viscose it really does help... it seems perfect for really severely messed up skin.  might help your cracked hands?  

Also, I know petroleum jelly is a no-no, but before i revamped all my body products I had a tube of A &D ointment. I reserve it for just such occasions where nothing else helps. If i put it on at night and put something (cotton gloves/sock) over my hands/feet, etc. .. they are always better in morning.  I get cracks in the corners of my nostril (ew) and this always helps if i use it overnight.

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#7 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 04:21 PM

I haven't tried castor oil, no. I've heard of it, but not sure exactly what it is. DH tells me vaseline, but I'm not sure I could handle that. My midwife gave us all 3 a bottle of small lotion to take home as we all had verying degrees of cracked hands including DS. We are just terrible this year. I think she may have thrown in a bit of A+D not sure there's two little packets of something there. I'll have to try tonight with one of them and see if there's not some relief.I'll check into the castor oil as well thanks for the suggestion!

#8 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalynsky View Post

I love  Lush.  Seriously.

Me, too! I'm finding out my lush stuff is bearable right now when everything else is sting-y on my dry skin.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#9 of 23 Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 PM

My hands are ridiculously dry and cracked.  The only thing that's been working on them is a bit of Aquaphor on the worst spots, then Vaseline Creamy all over, then wearing cotton gloves over it.  Obviously I do this at night.  It works wonderfully!  

I am interested in the MadeOn lotion bar - that looks really interesting!  I may have to try one.  I would try the castor oil, but after attempting to drink a bit with DS1 to get labor started, I can't even look at the bottle without gagging.  

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#10 of 23 Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 AM

It's not quite as cold here, but I've definitely had some dry skin issues and was getting nosebleeds, which happens to me every winter when it gets too dry. I started running the humidifier in the bedroom for at least an hour every night before bed and it does wonders. It also heats the room really nicely too. I just have the cheap one I got at the drug store for under $10. It has been helping my husband too, he gets dry cracked hands as well.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#11 of 23 Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 AM

LacieD - i can understand that!

I can't sleep during wintertime without a humidifier... !  Keeping house temp low also necessary for good winter sleep/breathing/air.

#12 of 23 Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM

I got super dry skin with my 2nd pregnancy especially on my face (and I was NOT pregnant over the winter).  The only thing that ended up working was vaseline, and that was after trying a bunch of stuff.  Also, although my legs didn't seem to be too dry, they super super itchy and nothing helped that - well except giving birth LOL.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#13 of 23 Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM

so much for the dewey pregnancy glow!  (at least for me!!!)  bleah!

#14 of 23 Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

I had forgotten about Lush. smile.gif I like the idea of a body butter bar since it is less messy than spoons of coconut oil. My super moisturizing lotion just hasn't been cutting it. The humidifier is a good idea too--I might just run in during the day to keep the moisture level up. I have trouble sleeping with "white noise". I know, weird. I just don't like motor noises when going to sleep. even fridges bug me sometimes.

Haha--Yeah, right now I have a "red" pregnancy glows. Where my face gets dry I have red spots, but they are not in the right places on my cheeks to make me look like I just have rosy cheeks. Oh well, it WILL get better, even if not til this spring. 

#15 of 23 Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 AM

Me, my hands are cracking and bleeding. I'm looking at what all you guys are putting up. Tempted to get some gold bond healing lotion since I've a got a coupon for it. Does anyone know if that stuff is any good? I'm trying to avoid buying nice natural stuff cuz I'm on a real budget at the moment. I'll only get something more spendy if I have to.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#16 of 23 Old 01-30-2011, 11:27 AM

I find that the Gold Bond stuff works really well but stings like blazes if you have any kind of open wound. That's the only thing I would worry about if your hands are so cracked they are bleeding.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#17 of 23 Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM

I like straight vitamin E oil.  The highest IUI you can find.  It can be pretty thick so you can dilute with coconut oil, jojoba, olive, etc.  I also really love the lush products and adding a couple drops of oils to my bath.

#18 of 23 Old 01-30-2011, 03:21 PM

Oh speaking of vitamin E, I started applying johnsons baby oil with Vit E after showers and that really helps keep my skin soft and moist. Cheap too. Don't dry your skin off first, just spread it on with the drops of water still on your skin. Feels great.

#19 of 23 Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Me, my hands are cracking and bleeding. I'm looking at what all you guys are putting up. Tempted to get some gold bond healing lotion since I've a got a coupon for it. Does anyone know if that stuff is any good? I'm trying to avoid buying nice natural stuff cuz I'm on a real budget at the moment. I'll only get something more spendy if I have to.

I would def recommend the A + D ointment for this problem if you're on a budget... when my husband got a tattoo they had him put it on the skin with the open wounds to keep it protected and moisturized, so it's ok for open cuts unless it's REALLY severe I'd think.  Otherwise, yes to Vit E, jojoba, maybe lanolin? or one of those heavy duty Burt's Bees salves. I prefer my own concoctions, but I'm sure they'd work for some as beeswax seems good for exceedingly dry skin and should be safe for cracks. maybe even plain old antibiotic ointment just to keep it protected and clean if you have nothing else.

#20 of 23 Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Natural doesn't have to be expensive.  :)   The MadeOn lotion bars are $15 for 2 - 2oz bars (if you buy a refill & skip the pretty storage tin), plus shipping. That sounds pricey at first for some. However, DH & I have been using the same 1 oz bar since August (just about daily), and are only half through it. Because the bars are so concentrated most people find they only have to use it once or twice a day, as it not only softens & heals your hands, but it forms a healthy protective barrier as well.  DH is a mechanic and this is the first year his hands haven't been cracked & bleeding by now - the only difference - lotion bar.  He likes it as well because it doesn't leave him feeling greasy.  How long your bar lasts will vary of course, but it definitely lasts longer than any average size bottle of lotion I've ever purchased (natural or not).

I'm not a fan of Lush actually, because many of their products use synthetic fragrances (which contain phlatates) and a number of other ingredients which are known or strongly suspected to cause irritation.  I know I'm on the sensitive end of the spectrum, and I use to be a *huge* fan of their stuff, but many of their prodcuts make me wheezy or give me a headache now, so I steer clear.  

Anyway, I didn't want you to feel like you had to settle for a potentially less effective product just because of money.  Natural can be spendy, but it doesn't have to be.  :)

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#21 of 23 Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 PM

I like Lush but I was really disappointed to find out they have parabens in them. I switched to Earth Mama Angel Baby. I'm still way too dry though. I use olive oil to wash my face and put it on after for a moisturizer and I'm still peeling. It's really hard to find pregnancy safe moisturizers...the stuff geared towards pregnant ladies is not moisturizing enough since most pregnant women get acne and everything else seems to have vitamin a, parabens, hyrolonic (sp?) acid etc.

Wife to DH, mommy to DS(4/23/08) and 3rdtri.gifdue in May!selectivevax.gifcd.gif
#22 of 23 Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post

I have it terrible on my hands. They are always cracking open and bleeding, something that's NEVER happened before, so I guess it's pregnancy related. I haven't any solutions, though, but I'm right there with you with the misery element.

Me, too.  greensad.gif  Two of my knuckles are unrecognizable.

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
#23 of 23 Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 PM

I just started experiencing very itchy skin and scalp over the past few days.  It's mostly the top of my scalp that seems so itchy and dry.  I'm pretty sure it's dandruff but the notice of some child with head lice in my daughter's preschool program is making me horribly paranoid.  Mind you, I've been checking both my kids twice a day and not found anything but it's just that creepy feeling.  I used DH's head and shoulders shampoo but don't think it helped much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page