Do UTI and Yeast Infections = Antibiotics Needed At Birth/ GBS+? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was reading the book that my midwife gave us to take home and GBS came up. It mentions if you are GBS+ you'll have to have antibiotics and the baby might need them too (which infuriates me). Reading further it says : There is one exception: occasionally, GBS can cause UTI during pregnancy. If you get a UTI, it should be treated at the time it is diagnosed (they have been), and then you should be given antibiotics again when you are in labor.

Am I reading this properly to mean that I have NO CHOICE now GBS negative or not but to be given antibiotics when in labor? I wanted NO MEDS for labor and this is just bringing me to tears thinking about it. I've had FIVE scripts this pregnancy for antibiotics and I'm sick of the things. Does anyone know if this is something that's reliant on being GBS+ or if I have to do it due to having had 3 UTI's already?

In addition thinking of the risks to our baby and having her on an IV of antibiotics further disgusts me. I wanted nothing at all in her system so she'd nurse well. I didn't want a repeat of what happened with DS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM

My midwives talked to me about my options if I was GBS+ (just got the test back and I am not).  They do not use antibiotics.  Instead they use a vaginal wash that is apparently used regularly in Europe that is as effective as IV antibiotics in preventing the infection in babies.  They said that there is this special cleanser that they put in a peri bottle and spray around the vagina ever so often during labor.  That is where the GBS bacteria lives so apparently this wash kills it and allows the baby to come down without being infected.  And it allows you to avoid the IV and antibiotic.  I don't know the name of it but I bet a little online research would help you find it.  I don't know how open your providers are but maybe this would give you another option.  Good luck with the new babe!

#3 of 3 Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you that's reassuring to know if I was in that position. She has me on probiotics daily til birth, which I'll gladly take over the nasty regime of antibiotics my old (non midwife) doctor prescribed. One reason I went with a midwife when I moved was hoping to get away from all the meds. :)

Thanks again Sadie's mama! I'll be sure to mention this option in my next apt @ 29 weeks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page