Anyone with Gestational diabetes? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you, that does help a lot. I've been looking online where they are saying at 160 you are basically guaranteed to get it and that was upsetting me. I think I know the issue: I eat a diet of almost completely all carbs. So, I'm fixing that right now while I wait for a call back to schedule the 3-hour test. They were supposed to call yesterday and they never did yet... so maybe they aren't too worried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalynsky View Post

Gummi - I failed my one-hour by far more than you did... they were looking for under 130, I came in at 180.  But I only just failed my 3-hour... so there is hope, I promise (they wanted 95-180-155-140, I came in at 85-196-155-77.  I failed by one point).  I know it isn't *quite* the "score high on 1-h, pass the 3-h", but it's something!

Good luck, Gummi.  Fingers crossed.

#32 of 48 Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHappy View Post

hug.gif i'm sorry. well, remember that the 1-hr is a screening, and not a definitive "test" that diagnoses GD. it is just a screening and that's all. and it catches many women who will never end up with GD.

if you don't want to do the 3-hr test, consider getting a glucometer (covered by some insurance) and monitoring your sugars at home with your own food.

try not to worry. i know what you mean about obstacles popping up in the way of the pg and birth that we want. just keep holding the picture of how you want it to be. love.gif

xo

Yeah, they told me that it's not a conclusive test. I've just never failed it before and it really came as a shock. I told them flat out I'm terrified now and she said it's okay and not to be, but I figured that was just to keep me from stressing and wasn't the whole truth. They have yet to get back in touch with me as they are trying to schedule it so that I don't have to yank DS from school and DH from work, but not sure that's even possible when the hospital can't do it and it's a 35 mile drive to the office.

In the meantime I'm going shopping for different foods (less carbs as I don't have anything sugary at all, so it's gotta be the carbs doing it) and see if that doesn't offset something as well.

I just keep hoping this birth is better than DS's.. and I pray it'll be the one we have been writing a birth plan for. I know there's no promises things will be how we want them, but I wasn't ready to lose it all this early, either.

#33 of 48 Old 02-25-2011, 01:00 PM

gummibears - earlier in this thread I posted a chart that gives you an approximate risk of GD based on your 1-hr score. According to that at least, you're only about 30% likely to have the diagnosis confirmed by the 3hr test. Hope this relieves some of your anxiety!

I had about the same 1-hr score as you and *do* have GD, but everyone's different. I never did the 3hr test, just confirmed by testing and tracking my diet at home.

#34 of 48 Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysmile View Post

gummibears - earlier in this thread I posted a chart that gives you an approximate risk of GD based on your 1-hr score. According to that at least, you're only about 30% likely to have the diagnosis confirmed by the 3hr test. Hope this relieves some of your anxiety!

I had about the same 1-hr score as you and *do* have GD, but everyone's different. I never did the 3hr test, just confirmed by testing and tracking my diet at home.

Yeah, I saw that, and it worried me as I feel that's an awful high chance to have it when my only risk factor is that I'm over 25 years old. I have ZERO other risk factors, so not only does this ruin my entire water birth plan as well as my nursing plans, but it's unbelievably confusing why I'm even in this boat. All I can figure is it's the carbs, and my midwife's office said more than a day ago they'd get back to me and I've heard nothing. I don't even know what to think of any of this, but I know I cried more than I care to admit over the last day and a half over the prospect of having it.

#35 of 48 Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post

Yeah, I saw that, and it worried me as I feel that's an awful high chance to have it when my only risk factor is that I'm over 25 years old. I have ZERO other risk factors, so not only does this ruin my entire water birth plan as well as my nursing plans, but it's unbelievably confusing why I'm even in this boat. All I can figure is it's the carbs, and my midwife's office said more than a day ago they'd get back to me and I've heard nothing. I don't even know what to think of any of this, but I know I cried more than I care to admit over the last day and a half over the prospect of having it.

Sorry to have stressed you out with the chart :(

Just wondering.. why do you think that this would ruin your plans for a water birth or nursing?

I know everyone is different, but my MW follows lots moms with gestational diabetes who are diet/exercise-controlled, and they're still perfectly free to choose a water birth and nurse after birth just like anyone else.

If you have really severe and uncontrolled diabetes your risk of a large baby (or severe hypoglycemia at birth requiring supplementation) is going to increase, but that seems like a VERY unlikely situation for you.

BTW I don't have any traditional risk factors either, but apparently this is pretty common even in people without any of the risk factors. And as depressing as the diagnosis is, I know that my diet and exercise levels have improved significantly since I found out. So there is at least some good that can come out of it. (Not saying that I'm glad that I was diagnosed, but just trying to look at the positives.)

#36 of 48 Old 02-25-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysmile View Post

Sorry to have stressed you out with the chart :(

Just wondering.. why do you think that this would ruin your plans for a water birth or nursing?

I know everyone is different, but my MW follows lots moms with gestational diabetes who are diet/exercise-controlled, and they're still perfectly free to choose a water birth and nurse after birth just like anyone else.

If you have really severe and uncontrolled diabetes your risk of a large baby (or severe hypoglycemia at birth requiring supplementation) is going to increase, but that seems like a VERY unlikely situation for you.

BTW I don't have any traditional risk factors either, but apparently this is pretty common even in people without any of the risk factors. And as depressing as the diagnosis is, I know that my diet and exercise levels have improved significantly since I found out. So there is at least some good that can come out of it. (Not saying that I'm glad that I was diagnosed, but just trying to look at the positives.)

It's okay, I just had a bad labor with DS and was determined to have the birth I wanted this time around which weighed heavily on no meds at all and most certainly NOT a c-section. I'm beyond depressed and cannot stop crying over the thought that everything's messed up and there's possible danger to our baby. In addition I have no idea how long I'll be in the dark worrying. Never heard back from the midwife's office since they were going to call yesterday, so that puts things off til at least Monday. By the time I get retested I'll have worried/stressed over this for a week or more.. and it's getting worse by the day.

I've read on several places that if I'm positive I'm now high risk and because of that (and the possibility of being induced - another thing I was dead set against) I cannot have a water birth. In fact, it seems unlikely that I'll be able to have a vaginal birth, too from what I've read. Another thing I was dead set against because it's longer recovery and with DH working 2 jobs and me to care for both kids and get DS to school on foot is not mixing well with this outlook.

I also read that there might be early induction, amino (another thing we are dead set against) and sugar water given to the baby, which isn't good when I'm planning to nurse. In addition to her pain when she's born with countless heel sticks (which does not sit right with me at all) All the drugs they will have me on post c-section for pain management (if I'm unfortunate enough to have this in future) will not make nursing an option I'm sure in addition to my being put under and unable to hold her until hours after birth which will make nursing hard - like with DS (and nursing with him ultimately failed. Something else I was praying would not happen) I also read they might wisk her away to a special nursery, which goes against my wanting her with us 24/7. Everything I wanted is gone if I fail this test.

I can't see any positives in any of this. I exercise as it is - I walk 12 blocks 5 days a week to get DS to school. How on Earth can I do that after surgery? I'm pretty sure they won't advise it right after I'm released and there's no other way for him to get to school. The only thing I can think that did it was the carbs, and I'm planning to change that tomorrow when we get more food.

My natural birth is basically out the window and I'm sickened by that thought as well as the risks that come with it to the baby. I at least wanted to get into labor before finding out depressing and upsetting news like this, not think about it for the next 10 weeks. :( And I realize I must sound horribly whiny right now, but gosh darn it I wanted what was likely my last birth to be something better than the last one, now it seems that the last one will be the better out of the two.

As for the risk factors, I wonder why they have them in place if they don't really mean much. DS was a fairly small baby (7pounds 14oz) and he was 6 days overdue, too. No issues with his pregnancy and I lived on koolaid soda and juice that whole pregnancy. This one I'm drinking water only and haven't had anything with sugar. Absolutely baffling.

#37 of 48 Old 02-26-2011, 05:26 AM

Hugs, gummibears!

I've ran through the whole spectrum of emotions with this - denial, anger acceptance, etc. I was really upset, felt I was going to get classed as high risk and thrown into the "intervention" bucket. I went out and bought a glucose tester and strips right away and started testing at fasting (first thing upon waking), and 1 and 2 hours after each meal. I immediately started modifying my diet when anything in a meal made my glucose spike (shooting for 90 or under fasting, and 120 or under on either of the postprandials (post-meal) tests. I started walking more as well.

I ended finally having a conversation with my homebirth midwife who told me that I was glucose intolerant during pregnancy, not diabetic (in her mind) since I was controlling it through diet and exercise. She reminded me that I was NOT in an obstetrical practice, that I wasn't high risk, that I wasn't going to get inducted, etc. She praised me for taking an active role in educating myself and embracing dietary changes.

To be honest, I feel better than I have in weeks - I started feeling super tired, bloated, cranky (well, ok, I'm still cranky) and now I feel pretty darn good. Frankly, I feel like I'm doing more of the right things now (diet and exercise) than I had been. I still go through angry phases that I'm dealing with this, and know far more about GDM than I ever wanted to, but I think I'm ok...

Hang in there

hug2.gif

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#38 of 48 Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 AM

I'll also add that I'm not convinced (after reading tons of studies) that controlling blood sugar for mild glucose intolerance does anything to improve outcomes. I have made peace with the fact, though, that the diet I'm following and the added exercise is healthy and something I should be doing anyway, and that our modern culture is so inactive and so full of simple sugars as compared to traditional diets that I'm not surprised at all that so many of us are falling into this camp. And my family eats really, really well (all local, all organic, hubby makes all bread, etc). But if I compare myself to someone who was active from sun up to sun down and didn't ever have white sugar, white flour, tons of white potatoes, etc, I have to admit that it makes sense a bit that my glucose regulation is not as fabulous as it perhaps should be.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#39 of 48 Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Almamiel, I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues coping with the idea of this. I'm not sure how I'll even be able to do the blood testing if I have to. I hate needles (the 1-hour test was torture enough without a 3-hour/4 blood draw and daily sticking, too... but of everything this is currently the least of my worries)

I worry about just what I'll be forced to consent to in terms of the birth and I now dread thinking of going into labor. I've all this time (for 8 years now) been looking forward to giving birth to another child and now I just dread the whole thing - until I get answers back, that is. I'm preparing myself to hear the worst, and hoping for the small chance that the best will happen. It's rough not knowing when I'll even find out what's going on, too. If I just knew what stance my midwife would take on the high risk/vaginal/ water birth vs c-section I could maybe calm just a bit, but this not knowing is eating away at me.

I haven't been feeling bad at all. I've finally been infection free for a week, I'm walking 12 blocks a day, the only thing is I have heartburn like mad at times and breathing is getting harder, lol. But I can't say as though I've been feeling 'yucky' and can look at it as a good thing to feel any better if I have to do all this. I know I'm seeing things from a somewhat limited scope now, but everything I've read on GD and C-sections terrifies me. DH will be working 2 jobs, and if he has to take leave from them to help out post c-section we are gonna hurt. Not to mention I can't work, either. Then our family vacation is put in jeopardy as well, and there's no way I'm not showing my family the new baby this Christmas. Ugh, see, getting ahead of myself again. But yeah, all that I read on c-section recovery is meds, meds, meds, meds, meds. I wanted none at all. It's so hard not to mourn the possibility of losing the entire birth plan in the blink of an eye.

And I must say, with your eating so well it shocks me that you are falling under the GD umbrella, too. And if this all comes down to hormones, which can't be controlled (we all know how that goes, lol) Then how can changing diet and such change what the hormones do, too? It doesn't much seem to make sense. Makes me seem like I'm hopeless as we don't eat all that well, well, I don't. Anything meats or eggs has been making me sick the whole pregnancy, so I moved to all the carbs just because I could keep them down better. Trying again to keep them down though, with the hopes that I can beat this next screening... I can only hope.

Off to get loads more food filled with meat and protine and hopefully less carbs, lol. Also planning to get something nice for the baby.. I need to feel excited about this again even if it means shopping for a nice going home outfit for her.

#40 of 48 Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM

hug2.gifgummibears. keep a positive thought. the waiting and uncertainty are so hard, and of course it is normal to go to the worst thoughts.

oh, and the way the diet and exercise work is they change how the sugars are being processed at the cell level. the issue as i understand it for pg women, is that our insulin requirements skyrocket (and our blood volume, for that matter), and for some women, it is hard for the pancreas to produce enough insulin, thereby pushing the sugars into the blood cells (and hence, to the baby). so, for example, eating few simple carbs will lower the amount of sugars going in in the first place. and, taking a 10-minute walk after a meal moves the sugars out of the cells quickly.

hopefully, you won't need to deal with any of this, once you take your 3-hr test. winky.gif

blessings,

xo

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#41 of 48 Old 02-26-2011, 11:15 AM

I'm sorry you're dealing with so much uncertainty :(  Please try not to feel like you did something to cause a high number (one high number, that is all you are looking at right now - you could potentially retake that test today and get a totally different result)...I have known lots of people diagnosed who ate well and were healthy weight, and lots of people (me included) who don't eat as well as they could and/or were overweight, but passed with flying colours (although, on a different day or with a different breakfast, maybe I could have failed the screening too...it is just a screening, and very unreliable).  Did you do the screening fasting?  Some care providers instruct you to fast, others to eat normally, others to eat a light breakfast....what you ate most recently and how long ago that was could impact your result on the screening as well.

Also, it varies by practitioner, I guess, but I've never known anyone with GD who's been automatically routed to a c-section.  Induction a bit early is more common, which of course carries its own risks.  Especially under midwifery care (is your midwife working under ob/gyns?  or independent? that would make a difference, I imagine), a GD diagnosis doesn't seem to risk you out of everything other than c-section.  I am pretty sure I'm not going to take the test at all, and I asked my midwife what that would mean for my care given that I have big babies (despite passing all the GD screenings!) and am plus sized...she said it won't affect me one iota (nor would the diagnosis, assuming I kept my sugars in check).

Something I find helpful to remember is that I have to consent to these types of interventions.  No matter what happens, if you are truly not OK with automatically going to a c-section or being induced at 37 weeks, you do have the right to refuse that and come up with an alternate plan that you can feel comfortable with.  If your care provider says it's 100% their way or the highway, it's a clear sign that you might want to shop around for someone else, cause even if you pass the 3 hour screen and avoid a GD diagnosis, an attitude like that can be a strong predictor for more conflict as the birth draws nearer.  JMHO.  I hope that you will get great relief from talking to your midwife next week, and this paragraph will therefore be moot ;)

#42 of 48 Old 02-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Ah, that explains it a bit more, BHappy. From what I can tell it's mostly hormonal and there's not much that can be done to avoid this? I do know some of the things I was eating were... like amazingly high in carbs I was shocked. Like over 60 carbs per meal. I just got home from shopping and was careful to keep carbs at 20-40 or so which was hard enough, but at least there's a lot of protine and meats in those carb counts and it's healthier food, too. Still, I know if I fail I'm gonna bawl in the office because I'm doing all I can now and it still might not be enough. I guess all I can do is try, though. That and pray for the best possible outcome no matter what.

#43 of 48 Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

so with another test done, it was confirmed last night by my OB that I do have GD. I am very sad about this. I feel like I have failed even though I have been doing great in my weight wise. I had a feeling this would happen to me and sure enough, it did! I know it's common in pregnant women but at 29 years old, I have just become a high risk pregnancy and I am so ashamed. Now I have to go to a nutritional class and I have to start pricking myself. I hate knowing I have this and I am just so sad greensad.gif

#44 of 48 Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisab82 View Post

so with another test done, it was confirmed last night by my OB that I do have GD. I am very sad about this. I feel like I have failed even though I have been doing great in my weight wise. I had a feeling this would happen to me and sure enough, it did! I know it's common in pregnant women but at 29 years old, I have just become a high risk pregnancy and I am so ashamed. Now I have to go to a nutritional class and I have to start pricking myself. I hate knowing I have this and I am just so sad greensad.gif

(hugs) I'm likely going to find out which side of the line I'm on today and I'm terrified. It's gotten to where I'm afraid to eat anything at all. :(

I think the feelings you have are normal, as they are the same ones I've been struggling with since Thursday. It's hard being thrown into the high risk group, especially if that rules out birth options you planned to use.

From all accounts of what I've read, there's little you can do to cause this. Like so much of pregnancy, it gets chalked up to hormones. It's this all-encompassing umbrella of "it's hormones" that is perhaps the most difficult thing to accept and cope with. The weight might not affect it, either, as I lost 15-20 pounds and was normal weight when I conceived plus I walk 12 blocks 5 days a week yet I'm still possibly looking at a positive GD result as well.

#45 of 48 Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 AM

*hugs* I'm so sorry, Lisa!  The pricking part isn't so bad, once you get used to it.  Two weeks in and I hardly think twice.  It helps that you don't see the needle at all, you're just pressing a little button. 

I'm 29 too, and this is my first... It's sad that one of the risk factors is being 25+ (it used to be 30... seeing as I'm a month away from turning 30, I guess I'm close enough on that one too).  Talk to your practitioner, though - I'm not yet considered a high risk pregnancy even though I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes.  If you can control your numbers with diet, you may not be either.  It depends on your practitioner. 

At this point, assuming I can continue to control my numbers, I can still mostly have the birth I want - intermittent monitoring, time in the tub and shower, etc...  the big change for me right now will be whether or not I have to induce (some doctors don't like you to go past 40 weeks, some even prefer to induce at 38!) and the fact that I'll have to put up with frequent finger pricks during labor itself.  My midwife actually told me that snacking during labor will help to control my blood sugar levels, so at least I know that if all goes well, I'll even be allowed to eat.  

Obviously this is just where things are for me right now, and how my midwife handles low-risk GD - your situation may be totally different.  Basically, don't lose hope, do some research, and be prepared to ask your caregiver a LOT of questions before you make some informed decisions about how to proceed. 

Good luck with everything!!!

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#46 of 48 Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM

Lisa--GD is nothing to be ashamed of! It is not your fault! Many women get it who don't fall under any of the risk categories. I am borderline GD too (my risk factors are that I am 32 and I weighed over 9.5 lbs at birth), and because my baby measures large (above the 95 percentile), I am taking insulin now, too, even though my daily blood sugar values are fine.

Don't stress about this. I am a serious needle-phobe (as in, I pass out at the slightest medical invasion of my body, even if I am lying flat on my back!), and I am doing both the pricking (6 times per day!) and insulin injections (3 times per day) without batting an eye. Both the pricking and the insulin are hard the first few times, but once you realize it doesn't hurt, you will get into the rhythm of it. I enjoy plotting my numbers in excel to see how I am doing. And whenever I find it hard to prick myself, I just take a deep breath and think about my tiny baby who needs me to do this for him. Also, the nutrition class is a good thing: I found it really helped me to structure my eating habits over the day, so that I don't eat too many carbs all at once. Even if you're not GD, this is a good thing to be aware of!

I totally understand how you are feeling, though. I was also really sad when I first found out. My pregnancy was going so well, and now this! But worrying only stresses out the baby. So relax, take a deep breath, and stop blaming yourself. There is nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to be sad about. In fact, you should be happy that you found out early, so you can take steps to help your baby to be healthy!

ETA: Will being "high-risk" effect your birth plan? I know if you take insulin, they often recommend (or require) that you birth at a place with an NICU, but if you are managing your GD with nutrition, it should not effect where you give birth, should it? (I didn't read through the entire thread, so if you already said this, I am sorry.) The hospital where I plan to give birth is totally fine with my GD and insulin. They want me to induce at 38 weeks, but said it is ultimately up to me.
#47 of 48 Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for the support. Today was my first day with the pricking and your right its not that bad. It just sucks that I have to do it 4 times a day! I was so nervous this morning that it took me 3 tries to finally be able to do it. I am just glad that I only have 11 weeks to do this. When I woke up this morning my levels were higher than normal but after I had lunch my levels were under the cut off line which is of course a great thing. I'm already missing my ice cream though :-(

#48 of 48 Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Just alittle update, since I have been watching what Im eating, I've lost 7lbs!!!!!!!! If it was only this easy when I am not pregnant to lose weight!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page