Bladder Problems? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into pregnancy related bladder issues? With my first pregnancy two years ago, I didn't have any at all (apart from needing to go frequently which we all suffer from.) Being almost 7 months into this pregnancy is a totally different issue...

I can't safely cough or laugh hardly without having an "accident." I feel the need to go again a mere minute or two literally after leaving the restroom (even if I hardly have anything at all in my bladder!)  Do you think there was damage of some sort after my first labor or do symptoms like this vary that much from pregnancy to pregnancy? I'm really at a loss (no pun intended :o) ) and not sure if this is just something I need to put up with or an actual medical issue.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. For those of you with toddlers, you might find it funny that I have MUCH more empathy with potty learning for my 18 month old at this point! Almost have to laugh about it!

#2 of 17 Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM

It sounds like a baby pressing on your bladder :) or at worst maybe a little pelvic floor dysfunction..  have you tried Kegelling?

#3 of 17 Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM

My bladder has never been the same since my first pregnancy. Sneezing or laughing when I wasn't pregnant I had to be careful sometimes, not sure if I had an injury or just weaker down there since?

But I would say definitely I have to watch out for sneezing, laughing ect during my current pregnancy with baby #2. I wear liners all day just in case, also there are times I have a slight leak and am not aware of it. Baby for the past few weeks was enjoying kicking and sitting on my bladder too! But luckily she flipped over and is head down now for the past few days, so much needed relief on the bladder.

I remember at a moms group I met with last year, every single mom there had weaker bladders after their first pregnancies, I was really surprised cause I thought it was just me.

So it's not as uncommon as I thought....

Hang in there...

Has anyone ever brought this up to their Dr outside of pregnancy? I haven't but I am curious...

~Kristy~ *Madeline Age 6 *Baby#2 May28th
#4 of 17 Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM

I ditto the Kegels exercise question ........ as this is my 4th pregnancy and I definitely do have a weaker bladder then pre-kids.. but not like your talking about generally.

However I've always had to do kegels (okay admittedly I didn't really start until 'after' the first baby) to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, otherwise without them the weight and wear of pregnancy leaves them just to weak to properly maintain continence.

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

#5 of 17 Old 02-23-2011, 01:54 PM

This is my second pregnancy and I can DEFINITELY relate.

I believe (from taking a look down there) that I might have a protracted urethra, as I can see it in my area (tmi sorry)

I seem to be constantly leaking urine and am now really starting to wear liners to avoid the smell of it

Most times I don't even notice that I am...ahhh..good times

My midwife suggested the kegels, emptying the bladder every two hours, and also that it could just be the pressure from baby laying so low.  I am hoping my little one makes a move soon to provide some relief..and I must get to work on those kegels

Hugs mama

#6 of 17 Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
tzs

my first pregnancy symptom this time around was bladder issues. 

i guess it hadn;t been the same since dd's birth and i had gone to the incontinence clinic at the womens' health center and nothing was wrong, just had to do kegels...but i fell off the wagon.

actually it's gotten better since first trimester. or maybe i've just gotten better at controlling it but i do wear liners since there does seem to be some leakage.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#7 of 17 Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM

ugh.

i am usually fine, but i've been so sick coughing my brains out for the last 5 weeks that i am definitely having issues. >_>

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#8 of 17 Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well thanks for the replies/commiseration everyone! It must really just get worse with subsequent pregnancies or at least the second one. Also I hear you about the coughing Ryleeee ... I have been having terrible hayfever the last couple of weeks making this problem a real pain. I mean sneezing causing problems 30 seconds after leaving the bathroom... I'm saying Come On, I JUST emptied you! 

I really need to get better about the kegels, will work on that. 

#9 of 17 Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
tzs

what's even worse than coughing is vomiting. i didn't have morning sickness but had a stomach bug a couple times. with sneezing and coughing it's over in a second but with vomiting not only do you lose control but you pretty much expel your entire bladder. not cool.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#10 of 17 Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 AM

i had to change my pants this morning after coughing while doing the dishes... darn cold and lingering cough.  i have not have this problem until now!  i guess i'd better get going on my kegels.  also, this woman's site is very interesting... she talks a lot about pelvic floor dysfunction and how kegels are not the "cure".  she's very entertaining anyway....  http://www.katysays.com/

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#11 of 17 Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laliu View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has insight into pregnancy related bladder issues? With my first pregnancy two years ago, I didn't have any at all (apart from needing to go frequently which we all suffer from.) Being almost 7 months into this pregnancy is a totally different issue...

I can't safely cough or laugh hardly without having an "accident." I feel the need to go again a mere minute or two literally after leaving the restroom (even if I hardly have anything at all in my bladder!)  Do you think there was damage of some sort after my first labor or do symptoms like this vary that much from pregnancy to pregnancy? I'm really at a loss (no pun intended :o) ) and not sure if this is just something I need to put up with or an actual medical issue.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. For those of you with toddlers, you might find it funny that I have MUCH more empathy with potty learning for my 18 month old at this point! Almost have to laugh about it!

I could have written your post!  Only I'm not brave/energetic enough to begin seriously potty-training my 18-month old.  I don't think it's damage per se, just that the uterus is pressing on your bladder and pelvic floor muscles, so the natural "closing" reflex when you sneeze or cough isn't as strong.  I'm terrible at remembering to do Kegels, but that's the best bet.  I also pee 58 times a day.

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
#12 of 17 Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM

This just happened yesterday. I was sitting on the couch and had a full bladder and hadn't got up to deal with it yet, coughed... and had my first accident. This is my first, but I am getting severe pressure on my bladder, where sometimes I am hobbling to the bathroom. Stupid small torso. Hrmph.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#13 of 17 Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM

I am with all of you... i have another question/concern to add to the mix however.  In addition to peeing all the time and worrying about accidents -- does anyone else eexperience a sort of full/pressing sensation down there?  I guess might be baby pressing? but it is tough to explain, sometimes it's SO intense... definitely seems worse towards end of the day and I wonder if my muscles, including bladder and lower uterine are just tired or if something is amiss...

Also, after peeing just a bit, it feels like i need to pee more but nothing comes out. So frustrating because I know I will end up back on the toilet in about 15 minutes doing it all over again!

Also in addition to this fun, I began experiencing some itchy/burning sensations (a la vaginal/urinary bacteria yukkiness)  which I am mostly successfully keeping at bay but then after several days of none of these symptoms suddenly --  wham! they are back!  Welcome to third trimester I guess!

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#14 of 17 Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM

I get a really crazy pressure sensation that makes me need to feel like I have to pee whether I do or not, but it's all based on baby position. When I'm getting kicked in the ribs and the baby is head down, I think the bigger head (instead of feet) creates this pressure. When I am getting kicked down low it's just normal "Oh hey I got kicked in the bladder" pressure.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#15 of 17 Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu2000 View Post

Also in addition to this fun, I began experiencing some itchy/burning sensations (a la vaginal/urinary bacteria yukkiness)  which I am mostly successfully keeping at bay but then after several days of none of these symptoms suddenly --  wham! they are back!  Welcome to third trimester I guess!

i am on antibiotics so i am definitely feeling this...although i am taking pure garlic pills 3 times a day and drinking RRL tea and water and trying to stay away from sugar (i'm doing pretty good!) and white breads...definitely hasn't turned into a yeast infection yet thank the good lord!!! i also diluted some GSE and used it to wipe with, and it seems to have helped a lot. 

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#16 of 17 Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu2000 View Post

Also, after peeing just a bit, it feels like i need to pee more but nothing comes out. So frustrating because I know I will end up back on the toilet in about 15 minutes doing it all over again!

have you tried the "hula pee"?   i find that leaning way forward helps to empty my bladder but sometimes leaning to the side or the back is the ticket :)

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#17 of 17 Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAgreenmama View Post

i had to change my pants this morning after coughing while doing the dishes... darn cold and lingering cough.  i have not have this problem until now!  i guess i'd better get going on my kegels.  also, this woman's site is very interesting... she talks a lot about pelvic floor dysfunction and how kegels are not the "cure".  she's very entertaining anyway....  http://www.katysays.com/

I 2nd this site!!!  My constant sciatic pain has been all but gone since following her recommendations & I'm trying to get her squats in daily now too instead of kegels - this whole sneeze pee thing is getting really tiresome.   You heard it mommas - you DON'T have to do kegels!!!  Seriously, you gotta read Katy's site!!!  Also, check out this link for a summary of several of Katy's blogs:

http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html 

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page