How many of you guys are banking baby's cord blood? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm undecided and the cost is so high..not so sure I can afford..even with a payment plan...

#2 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM

won't be banking, just delaying cord clamping.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#3 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM

I was interested in it but after research decided I want baby to have the cord blood now (so we're going to delay clamping/cutting) rather than later.  I got the impression that the 2 choices are incompatible, so if you want to delay clamping there wouldn't be enough left for collection/banking.

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#4 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

What do you think is a reasonable time to delay?  I've heard any where from 90 seconds to 15 minutes....

#5 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 05:23 PM

The general recommendation I've heard/read is until it stops pulsating (which can vary I guess).  We're going to wait at least 15 mins, probably more like a half hour to be sure.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanieC View Post

What do you think is a reasonable time to delay?  I've heard any where from 90 seconds to 15 minutes....

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#6 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM

From what I've read, the cord blood wouldn't be useful for the baby for a very long time and even then it's very unlikely that you could use the cells for the baby itself. It would be more compatible for a sibling or relative, provided that they actually do make major headway with being able to fix DNA related diseases/issues. It would do nothing for non-genetic problems like cancers that were environmental in nature.

Also, if you're in the USA, there is already a fairly large bank of stem cells that have been donated and you're more likely to find a match there in the future over your own cord blood, should the technology be good enough. We're going to donate the cord blood to the general stem cell bank for research because of those reasons.

#7 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM

This was also off-putting for me.  Why should I deny this baby her own cord blood when it would be used for her sibling, if at all?  Seemed unfair.  All the success stories I've seen on the commercials are one child using another sibling's cord blood cells.

I think you can still donate the cord after delayed clamping, for what little may be left in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

From what I've read, the cord blood wouldn't be useful for the baby for a very long time and even then it's very unlikely that you could use the cells for the baby itself. It would be more compatible for a sibling or relative, provided that they actually do make major headway with being able to fix DNA related diseases/issues. It would do nothing for non-genetic problems like cancers that were environmental in nature.

#8 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 PM

cbr has a good faq page that you can follow up on to verify with independent sources

http://www.cordblood.com/cord_blood_faqs/processing_banking.asp#6

#9 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 AM

I think that for public banking the amount collected that can be donated varies because in STL our public bank said that they had no problem with delayed clamping and then collecting whatever was left.

and with public banks there is no fee, or there isn't for us.

We're delaying the clamping until it's done pulsating and we are also donating.

#10 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 AM

I got a nice handout from the midwives that made me go "no thanks" on the banking front.  First, if you do decide to bank, they clamp immediately - so you can't do delayed clamping *and* cord blood banking.  Also, some of the diseases that cord blood may help to cure can already be present in the blood at birth, making it useless.  The cost of private banking is also seriously discouraging.  Public banking is basically a donation, which is awesome, but I want to do delayed cord clamping, so... that's still ruled out.

Basically, if you know your child is at risk for a disease that may be cured by stem cells, you may want to think about doing this.  But you may be able to donate your own stem cells if the need arises. 

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#11 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM

We were planning to do delayed clamping with our first, but didn't get the chance because there was a tight nuchal cord that had to be cut as her head was out. This is apparently pretty common, and something to consider if your only reason for not banking the blood is the cord clamping. For example, maybe you could have the kit ready and only use it if the blood is available.

We ended up doing the public banking with our first. Oddly, they didn't tell us that delayed clamping (which was specified in our birth plan) would be in conflict with the banking. Maybe they just didn't read our birth plan, and it didn't come up because of the nuchal cord issue.

We got a call within the first year to let us know that a patient matched to our banked cord blood, and asking if we authorized its use. I of course let them use it, and feel that it will be something that my daughter will appreciate down the road. My understanding was that there was still a chance that you could use your own banked blood if you used the public option, but don't know all of the details. I've actually been meaning to call and find out whether all of ours was used already, and to clarify whether we could use it at a later time if still available.

#12 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM

BTW this site suggests that you can delay clamping AND donate:

http://www.mazecordblood.com/blog/?p=253

Particular banking programs may have different requirements though. I'll be checking with our hospital to see what their requirements are.

And another FYI, my DD's iron levels were really good at a few months even with the "early" cord cutting (i.e. a minute before she was even born). Not sure what the stats on that are though. Anemia was my main concern, and she was getting exclusively BM at that time.

#13 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 PM

really cool that you got to find out someone was able to use it sillysmile...something like that would really make my day

#14 of 14 Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM

We will be publicly banking. I don't see much benefit to us with banking, but think the larger community can really benefit. http://www.marrow.org/ for more info.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page