In order of importance (besides car seat), what baby gear is needed the first 6 months? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got a Boppy thrown in when I bought a crib from a friend who was moving and it worked for me. What I loved was the Medela nursing stool. Not big, but it changed the whole position of my legs and made comfortable nursing so much easier. I never had a special chair and usually used the couch.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 07:23 PM

I am expecting kiddo #3 so I'm thinking about what I will take out of the attic in the next week or so:

- Arm's reach mini-co sleeper.  We co-sleep but there are times when baby is napping or sleeping and I am not in the bed to watch over. Namely, I have two smallish dogs and can never predict when they might jump on the bed. 

-- cloth diapers

-- baby tub - I have an infant tub that has a sling that goes in it and is arched.  Loved that for giving baths as I could either put it in the tub or right on the counter

-- Kick and play seat- this seat was great for when I took a shower and baby was awak and alert.  When baby is really small and napping we would actually put a pillow in our oval laundry basket, rest baby in there and put the basket in the bathroom.  Essentially turning it into a moses basket.

-- Slings- I am a huge fan of my moby wrap and my Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch.  I'm not sure what I'll do about my fleece pouch as both my girls were early Fall babies and this kiddo will be late Spring, leading into summer.  I think I need a new pouch that is a cooler material.

-- infant car seat

-- rocking chair- I love my gliding rocker for nursing and putting a baby to sleep

-- breast pump- I have a Medela pump in style that was bought about 6 yrs ago.  I love it.  As far as nursing goes, I agree, be determined to make it work and understand that the first 6 weeks there will be hurdles to overcome but if you persist it will pay off.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 AM

I found the cradle/swing I have wanted since DD (3.5) was born at consignment for $45 last week! We've got the bouncy seat in case the swing is too much at first. The Pack N Play we have has a changing station and (For who mentioned no bells and whistles) the electronic stuff is removable. I have a changing table on my registry that matches the crib we use as a sidecar cosleeper, but it's on the "not necessity" list. I think the only things that are left on my list that are necessity are the momma cloth I'm working on and the XS Fuzzi Bunz that I'm waiting to order on Earth Day. DS1 is 2, and was a spring newborn (yes, Feb is spring here in FL) so all my newborn stuff is 95% short sleeve so it'll work. And of course I saved everything. I saved everything from DD too, in case we only saw unbilical cord. All our newborn stuff is in the same box, so I have to sort the boy/girl stuff out.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 AM

We have so much Stuff we hardly ever used for DS. I'd wait on the swing, bouncy seat, high chair, bumbo, baby bath, all that stuff. Alot of that is helpful once you figure out your baby. I rarely put DS in the big bulky swing we got simply because he was colicky and hated being restrained. I honestly didn't use the sling with him until he was 6 months though, but that was mostly due to the colic. Wearing him didn't sooth him, it made him restless. So yeah, I basically had to carry him around with me or leave him on the floor with some toys for about 5 minutes at a time. As long as money isn't an issue and you can wait until after birth for a lot of that stuff(not relying on baby showers to get what you need) then I'd wait! Oh and I agree with the other posters, go into bfing with a mindset that it will work, and don't even consider buying formula unless you absolutely have to! I know if I had formula laying around in those first few weeks, I probably would have caved..I BF'ed DS until 21 months, but the first few weeks were hard, not impossible though!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM

We're expecting baby #3 and I'm trying to keep things to a minimum this time.  Things on my list include the carseat and stroller frame (though this may change if we sell my van and get an apartment in the city - then I'll probably look for one of those cool convertible strollers on craigslist), mini co-sleeper, bouncy seat or swing (a MUST for getting a shower in), ergo w/ infant insert, moby wrap, cloth diapers & wipes, diaper bag, onesies and sleepers, and a few blankets.  Still debating whether or not to get an infant bath...  I've never used one that I liked, but I'm considering one of those tummy tubs this time.

User Tag List