Confused Over Lab Results. Call Said Abnormal, Letter Said Normal - Which Is it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thursday I got a call that I failed my GD test by quite a bit. I guess the max should have been 140 (though I've heard up to 180 is fine, too) and I scored a 168. So, they wanted to schedule a 3-hour draw, which kinda stalled since DH and DS have work and school during the hours they want me in there. They were to call back Thurs about that and I've heard nothing since.

Now, today I get a letter from them congratulating me for having normal labs or labs within an acceptable range. This includes the blood lab which they called about. So, which is it? Is it okay or not okay? It seems things get more and more complicated over this dumb lab by the day.

Have you ever had a similar situation where they said it was a problem, yet you got a letter saying it was normal? If so, which answer turned out to be right for you?

Obviously at this point I'm calling the office first thing Mon morning, but sure would be nice to know if I could stop worrying before that. :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you know how many grams of glucose you consumed?

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

I looked at the note and it doesn't say. I know they told me, but it was last Tuesday and I can't recall if it was 5 or .05. It had a 5 in it, lol.

It does say next to the GD result in the alert column a "H" (not sure what that means) but the front cover letter says my labs were normal or acceptable just the same.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The drink they made you drink... do you know how much glucose was in there?

I did a two hour test and was asked to consume 75 grams of glucose. At one hour, my plasma glucose result was 171 and I passed. At two hours I was at 121. My fasting was 72.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 PM

Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

It's possible. I know that I had been under a great deal of stress for that day and the day or 2 before and that I had a lot of carbs that day. Ironically, enough I was stressed that I'd fail the UTI screening not the GD one which I had no concerns over failing in the least. I'm thinking MAYBE the stress did it.... both of which I'm already in process of correcting with hopes that I'll not test positive.

Honestly, I want out of the 3 hour test. I was sick enough after the one hour test as it is without drinking that on an empty stomach. By the time I can get home and eat I'll be at 13+ hours without anything to eat. :( (It's a trip home from the office) Not to mention I really don't want to pull DS out of school to be bored for 3 hours at the office nor can we afford DH to miss a day at work to drive out there for the test. *sigh*

Yes, I had quite a few infections. Nothing for 2 weeks now, though, and that includes the week I had the GD screening. Also, there was no glucose in urine or ketones. So, I'm literally baffled. My son was a small baby (7 pound 14oz and 6 days post due,) and I walk 12 blocks 5 days a week, so I really can't wrap my head around how I'm even where I am now.

All I can think is that the stress sent blood sugars soaring and that the TWO carb heavy meals I ate that day might have done it.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM

If I had "failed" the 1-hour test, I was considering working with my midwife (or nutritionist, whichever they prefer) to do a GD diet and check my blood sugar with a glucometer at home regularly.  Essentially, I was going to act as thought I had a GD diagnosis.  I'm not sure I would have been able to stomach the 3-hour test, and it sounds like you have the same concern.

Perhaps you can talk to your provider about taking this approach?  Maybe you can start by eating what you normally eat and checking your blood glucose regularly and logging it for a week or so--if your numbers are within the normal/healthy range, maybe you can discontinue monitoring.  If not, then you can start following a GD diet and continue monitoring??

Good luck!

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I got a call back (after a nerve wracking 5 hours this morning) and it could be better than I thought and it can be far worse depending on where I land on this next test. I'm not sure they are doing the 3 hour draw now. She mentioned meeting with dieticians and testing blood somehow that way, which might be happening at the apt tomorrow. Which sounds like I may be off the hook for the 3 hour test.

My midwife didn't warn me about carb heavy meals. She had no advice at all other than eat nothing sugary, which I didn't. Of course I was the blind one that didn't think ahead that carbs break down as sugars when I chose my lunch and breakfast. :( I did ask if my carb heavy meals may have done it they said it's possible. I'm holding onto that hope for dear life, because it sounds like if it's not then I have to transfer out of her care and into a hospital an hour away which also means no water birth. :(

To say there's a lot at risk here is pretty much an understatement and I'm really worried. :( They don't think I'm at a real high risk to have GD, but there's still the possibility that I am and that I might lose everything - even my super nice midwife (who is my 2nd HCP this pregnancy as it is. I really don't want to transfer again at 30+ weeks to someone else.

I'm certain the 3 hour test would have me horribly sick. I was feeling quite a bit of stomach upset with the one hour and I didn't have an empty stomach. My understanding is that the 3 hour is worse yet. Ack.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM

I also failed the 1-hr, and opted out of the 3-hr. I got a meter and did some testing, and it was pretty clear that I did have GD based on that alone. For example, I ate a breakfast with 50g carbs and went into the 170's. Much easier than the 3hr test IMO. However, I did have to pay for the testing supplies since it was before I got an official diagnosis. Maybe your doc/mw can write you a script for the testing supplies just based on your 1hr numbers.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'll ask about the script depending on how it looks like they are leaning with me. I'm about to head off to the appointment. Terrified still. *Sigh*

Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Dont worry, I failed my 1hr test with 170level, and had my 3hr test yesterday and still waiting for results whistling.gif hoping I pass this one. It was terrible when I had to drink that 100ml sugar drink. but what I did was drank lot of water through out and walked in between the draw. Hopefully I will pass. Think this way that even if you fail atleast you know it, better that ignorance.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

She decided to forgo the 3 hour test since it won't work with the schedule DH and DS are on. She instead did a finger prick test there in the office and we got the results instantly. They were looking for under 120 and I scored a 73, so I think this means I'm okay and in the clear. They might occasionally test me again to be sure, but I can handle that just fine. Probably doesn't hurt to be safe anyway.

That 100ml glucose drink had to be horrible even with the water between. I'll be keeping you in my mind hoping that you pass too!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 AM

gummibears - so glad to hear that you passed the test!!! Was it another 1-hr/50g drink that they gave you, or something else?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I was in tears when they said it was good. Like DH I thought it was 173 not 73, LOL. Darn those hormones, I tell you they haven't made me all that weepy til these last couple weeks... now it takes nothing to get me going.

They didn't give me anything at all. She asked what I ate yesterday and I told her and said it'd been about 3 hours since I last ate. She tested me just randomly on whatever was in my system.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM

I passed my 3hr test!  Got my result today ...Yay!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats OhMyFirefly! :) 

User Tag List