anyone dealing with swelling now? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have noticed swelling here and there, but today it's pitting in my legs and my right foot. I was wondering if this is just when we start to see that or if I should be concerned. I have certainly seen it more swollen! my last pregnancy I went preeclamptic and my legs blew up like horrible balloons. I don't really know what is normal swelling anymore.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't had any swelling yet.  At this point in my last two pregnancies I had very mild swelling but it was July at this point in my pregnancies so really hot.  Do you have swelling in your face or hands?  I know that can be more tell-tale for pre-eclampsia.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

yes. yes i do. i have general swelling from what i can tell, but its worse in my feet.

thanks for answering. i can know all of this in my head, and im good at making decisions for other people, but when it's happening to me, i sort of get lost in anxiety and can't think straight.

i think if my blood pressure doesnt go down by noon, i will call my doctor and let him know what's going on. my pressure this am was 145/100. i took my labetalol immediately. eep!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 AM

Do you eat a very  high protein diet?

I know not everyone agrees with this but...... for me at least it did curb the start of pre-e last PG.  I was extremely swollen late pregnancy, and started to spill protein (but blood pressure was still low, we caught it early).. and basically tripled my protein intake.. and magically by deliver I barely had any swelling and I never saw protein in my urine again.. it was very helpful for us at least.

This time around swelling is a constant battle, but the more quality protein I eat.. the less I swell.  I've found fish to be one of the best proteins to really knock out the swelling, sometimes if it gets out of hand I'll eat a lb or two even of fish in one day.. and usually I'm doing much better by the next morning.

(((((((((hugs)))))))

Rae 27 DH Phillip 32 married 11-22-03
DS1 Nathaniel b. 11-21-04, DS2 Ian b. 9-8-06, DS3 Samuel b. 10-1-08, DS4 Peter b. 5-24-11

Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

sonshine, hi!

i typically eat lots of protein but since i've been spilling ketones, i thought i would try and up my carbs just to get more calories in and see if i can stop spilling ketones. i am waiting for my own reagent strips (ordered off amazon and they should be here wednesday), so i dont know if its been working. i do know that despite my swelling my weight is actually down these past few days.

UGH im getting lost in details i think.

in any case, i think that you're right. i need to go back to concentrating on protein rather than carbs. carbs make me feel super woozy anyways, despite the fact that i can eat more calories that way. i have a steak in the fridge and ill cook that and eat it today and finish off the tilapia i made last week.

thank you!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 PM

I start swelling before 20 weeks with every pregnancy...but only my ankles and feet (and it progresses to my lower shins toward end of pregnancy).  Luckily, it all seems to be circulation-related for me - no protein in urine, BP fine.  My osteopath did some work on my legs during my recent appointment and I saw hardly any swelling for a week, and though it's creeping back I still am seeing much less 2 weeks later than I was before she did the work (kind of getting anxious to get back in to see her again, it's lovely being un-swollen! :P).  So yes, it can be normal (my normal, anyway) to be swelling now, but you obviously are keeping an eye on the big picture, which is key.  I hope your BP settles back down for you.

User Tag List