Yeast infection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I have a yeast infection.  I'm a little annoyed, I had an ob appt. yesterday, told the dr. that I'm having issues.  I figured they would check me but instead just said sounds like a yeast infect. and wrote a Rx for a cream.  So I had the Rx filled, but before I started using it I looked it up on the internet.  Turns out the cream, Terconazole, is a catogory C drug.  I'm not comfortable taking a Cat. C drug especially when I wasn't even truely diagnosed w/ an infection. 

I've read that leaving a yeast infection untreated won't harm the pregnancy, just leave me uncomfortable and could be passed on to the baby at birth.    So what are other mama's doing during an infection.  Part of me wants to take the Terconazole, since the dr prescribed it can't be bad, but on the other hand I'm scared too and rather POed for them to give me a Cat. C drug.

WWYD?

-Becky
DH 10/01, DS 1/04, DS 1/06, DS 5/09 (born sleeping), DD 4/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 07:07 AM

You could hang on to the prescription for now and try something natural to start...raw garlic as suppositories, lots of probiotics, etc.  If you are iffy about using actual garlic (I am wimpy like that), you can get acidophilus and garlic suppositories at natural health places.  I used them before my Group B strep swab last pregnancy, they were pretty easy to do and not that messy.

Another option would be to bring it up with your pharmacist for possible alternatives or at least reassurance about the drug you've been prescribed.  Maybe since it's a cream, it has a lower risk of actually getting to baby in any significant amount?

#3 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 AM

When I get a yeast infection I can't just wait and see as that always ends up with a total nightmare down below.  How about the OTC yeast infection creams like Lotrim/ Clortrimazole?  Not sure what category they are but the OTC ones may be less risk than the stronger prescription meds.  I tried the homeopathic type of cream/suppositories with my last yeast infection but after a week of using it the infection was only slightly better and I just gave up and bought the OTC cream.

#4 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

i think that i have a mild one as well, no abnormal discharge, just very sore and swollen feeling almost? friggin antibiotics. i'm upping my garlic intake and water intake...i also have boric acid suppositories from my midwives that i just might cave and use.

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

#5 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Clotrimazole is a class B, used topically very little makes it into your blood stream.  Maybe try that first and then pull out the bigger guns if you need them?

#6 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 12:20 PM

My favorite yeast infection remedy, that won't hurt anything at all if it turns out not to be one, is to pour a lot of apple cider vinegar into my bathwater and make sure to let it "get in there"  When I've had them, this usually clears it up in a day or so.  You might have to take a couple of ACV baths, but it's cheap and effective.

#7 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 PM

ddcc

When I was pregnant, I had thrush for the first 6 months. I thought it was just a really consistent yeast infection, I thought I was allergic to panties, to toilet paper, to laundry detergent. I stopped eating bread, pasta, sugar, caffiene, ect. I used garlic and yogurt. I ate probiotics and I even put it down there, inside with the garlic. I did everything I could not to have to use percription creme. Nothing worked. Finally, I used Gentian Violet. I used it both as in a tampon, and externally with a cottonball and while wearing latex gloves. If you use it, and you have an OB appointment, just make sure you tell them you used it first. Otherwise, it can be very confusing for the doctor whistling.gif.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600725/DSECTION=proper-use 

I didnt really follow any measurments. I poured the GV into a cup, dipped the tampon in, and then used it. I changed it about every 3 hours. Whatever you do, dont use scented tampons. I dont normally buy tampons so when i went to the store, I didnt even think to look to see if they were scented. I used unscented regular OB tampons. Hope that helps!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Thankfully I haven't had an internal yeast infection (at least not one that causes symptoms), but I HAVE had external yeast rashes with this pregnancy and last (no wonder babies are so miserable when they have diaper rash... that stuff SUCKS!)... my doctor with my second pregnancy told me to use clortrimazole (sp) cream and my midwife this time said to buy Monistat 7 but just apply the cream externally.  I'm pretty sure it's thanks to all the lovely (sarcasm) extra moisture that I'm blessed with as my pregnancy progresses.  So then I start wearing a pantiliner... and the pantiliner irritates me.  It's a vicious cycle.  I've been happier just changing my undies a couple times a day.  I'm wondering if I need to start washing my undies in HOT water separately to make sure I'm getting them thoroughly clean.

And there's your TMI for the day.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#9 of 13 Old 03-05-2011, 12:39 AM

I had 2 this pregnancy one time I was given a non prescription cream forget what it was it was generic brand and the other time I had monistat. I used monistat I think with DS too early on and nothing bad came from it. Wonder if that would be a better solution for you?

#10 of 13 Old 03-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

have any of you used boric acid capsules before? 

i have some and my midwives recommended them (and actually sold them to me) ... i don't think that it's bad enough yet for me to use them though? 

i have 5 days left of antibiotics...blah

mama to 9 year old h  and 3 year old z

#11 of 13 Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Was recommended yeastaway at the health food store back when I had an internal yeast infection at the beginning of my pregnancy (I think.) And I believe it did the job. The lady knew I was pregnancy and told me she had been trained in natural medicines. She's been really knowledgeable with everything else so I have no reason to doubt it. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#12 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Can't say enough good about GSE- I am in love with the stuff!  Use it diluted internally as a douche or externally plus there are pills you can take too.  This is how we beat thrush when DS iwas an infant.  I also think that Boric acid works wonders although it takes some time- a few days- to give relief.  ACV is another great option, along with acidophilus.  I have never had great luck with garlic though I believe it wouldn't hurt to eat more of it.  There are a bunch of homeopathic remedies at chain drugstores near me but I never gave them much of a try- many of these have acidophilus in them too. 

FWIW, even with all these natural remedies under my belt I sometimes just break down and use an OTC.  I agree that it is not optimal and I avoid all chemicals while pg, but suffering with a yeast infection for weeks is not worth it IMO- I would use an OTC.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#13 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I had an ACV bath for 2 days in a row and I've been eating more yogurt.  Plus I've been changing my undies everynight.  So far I'm getting relief!  I believe mine was only external so I'm hoping I've got it under control.  Thanks for all the ideas, I agree I'm really trying to avoid OTC meds if possible.

-Becky
DH 10/01, DS 1/04, DS 1/06, DS 5/09 (born sleeping), DD 4/11

User Tag List