Chat Thread March 7-13 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Elonwy...if you're planning on having more kids, try the "it will be a great tradition for older siblings" argument.  We feel bad now that we didn't do it for DS1, but will be doing it for the other two kids ;)  We have awesome pics of DS1 in his jammies eating his brother's birthday cake in bed, he still remembers it :)

#32 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM

We don't plan on having more than one at the moment. We're both onlies, so are comfortable with that. However I just talked to him about it again and he said "so you eat the cake and then a few hours later the baby sorta does" which made me laugh. Then I explained the whole making it while in labor and he really liked that. He takes a while to think about things sometimes. :)

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#33 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Celebrating today. A friend of mine who was due next month with her twins had them yesterday. Both good size for early twins (4 13 and 5 9), both born naturally and both doing well.

My arms ache. In part May can't come fast enough. On the other hand, I've got so much to do...

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#34 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM

elonwy - having similar computer issues but didn't lose anything near as big as a huge paper... and still I was about to bang my head off walls scream and cry.  So sorry about your distress!!!!

Why... oh why... I'm so good until I get tripped up... then I'm such a mess.  And so tired.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#35 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 PM

I crave dark beer when pregnant (which is hard) so with my son I had my first beer less than a week later at his first trip to the pub. This time I am planning on putting a Guiness in the labour bag. Other people bring champange, so why not.

With nursing I have always followed the safe to drive safe to nurse rule. That means one drink for me, which is all I ever want anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

Ok, so with all the general mommywisdom that we have floating around here, when, after birth, is it generally ok to have an alcoholic drink?

I have only had three craving this entire pregnancy: oj, guacamole, and a margarita. orngbiggrin.gif

I know I'll need to ask my dr but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here, too.

We are working on the all the paperwork to buy a house mid april (when I am 37 weeks) and the stress of that, plus toddler, plus pregnant is getting to me. Had a good cry along with my son this morning. Then we nursed for more than half an hour. I seem to have more milk this past week. Nursing really does help make it all better.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#36 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

Caught up, read it all, love you guys!!!!

I have had the occasional sip of beer and wine throughout my pregnancy.  I've not really wanted any more than that, but I have loved a sip of good beer every few weeks and ditto with a little sip of wine here or there.  I may be in the minority here but if I wanted a sip of margarita, I'd probably have one while pregnant.  I've been erring on the side of having a little bit on occasion so I don't want an entire drink at any point.  It's been completely satisfying and unworrying to me...  and I don't really want a whole drink ever at any point.  A little dab does it completely - just for taste, not for alcohol, I guess.  There are lots of good yeasts and carbs in beer.

As for right after birth, I found this non alcoholic sparkling cider and tried it and it was SO good and wouldn't result in any kind of dehydration from enjoying it.  In fact I totally had 2.5 glasses of it when I opened it last night it was so yummy and delicious.  It's going in the fridge/hospital bag for SURE!

I'm straddling the fact that things are flying by vs. creeping along.

Hypnobirthing classes start tonight - once a week, 2 hrs each, and will take me through the end of March.

At my house, the word of the next 8-10 weeks is MITIGATION.  DH said to me, ok. We're at that point.  We're just going to try to mitigate everything, not be aggressive.  We'll clean in small spurts.  We'll sleep as best we can.  We'll get you naps and good food.  We'll make sure you are comfortable.  We are on the home stretch here so please don't try to do anything gung-ho.  Let me do it for you, accept help, rest, relax, and let this last little bit go by without feeling guilty that you're not "contributing enough".  I like that so much.  Thankfully I don't have another LO to care for right now!

I agree with the alcohol...that's what I do as well.

And I'd love for my dh to say all that...but, alas, not so much.  Drives me crazy but his thinking is more that pregnancy isn't an excuse(which yes, for my first pregnancy that was easy, but not since then).

Doing okay here...just tired and sore.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#37 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM

i love the idea of baking a cake during labour! that sounds like something fun we could do with our 5 year old. i guess i won't fully commit to it as you never know what you are actually going to feel like doing, but it is a great idea!

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#38 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 PM

I love the labour cake idea.  When preggo with DD1 I took the birthing from within course and made these awesome posters to take with me to L&D and packed a bag with aromatherapy and had a doula.... unfortunately that labor was only 4 hrs start to finish- started out high intensity and never stopped.  With DD2, I had about an hour of on and off burning in my back before I realized I was having back labor.  We called our midwife and relatives... my water broke and contractions became freight train intensity and DD2 was born 30 mins later.  I know that some moms who have had labor that lasted days would jump on a short labor but after reading all the Ina May books and reading tons of birth stories I think I always had this vision of a slower, more blissfull labor...my midwife keeps telling me the 3rd baby is a wild card so maybe this labor will be totally different. I'm just psyched to have midwives that (so far) haven't even mentioned the word induction as I know most OBs would just schedule someone with fast labors to an induction at 39 weeks or the like.

#39 of 45 Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Whoa, those were fast, KarenMT!  I am hoping for the same as my previous experiences, really...both time I have had relatively quick active labours (4.5ish hours the first time, 3 the second time) with a few hours of early labour leading up to them.  Things are getting tougher for the couple of hours before I move into active labour, but it's not till those last few hours that it gets really intense.  Sort of the 'textbook' 12ish hour labour, I guess.  I kind of hope the 3rd isn't too much of a wild card cause I need all that lead up time to get organized and do the drive to where we're having the baby (and do the cake! LOL) before things get intense. 

I have a friend who has really fast labours (faster each time) and yeah, I will totally take my not-too-long-but-definitely-some-lead-time labours over going from 0 to full-on active labour in 10 seconds flat.  No cakes would be baked in such a situation for sure! :P

That said, I would trade it all for my mother in law's labours...short but also not particularly painful (or, alternatively, she has an incredibly high pain tolerance). She recently told me she was always surprised when the baby started coming out because she figured she should be in more pain.  Ah, I can dream!!

#40 of 45 Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 AM

Oh, I hope my labor is short this time. With DD, I was in labor over 24 hours before they talked me into an unnecesarean. We did a lot of things wrong, too so I hope to change that with this one. We're doing Hypnobabies, have a doula, waiting as long as possible before going to the hospital, moving a lot during labor and refusing an epidural, everything opposite of what we did with her.

I'm having a bad day, and it's only 9:30! DS is cutting his canines, which means no one sleeps. I did something last night I've never done before. I sent a whiny toddler back to his own bed! He was just not wanting to let us sleep. Around 4, I picked him and his water bottle up, took him to his room, laid him down and he whimpered for a second until he saw his bottle. Then he giggled, took his bottle and fell asleep and he's still asleep. Doesn't gain us the rest of the time we lost. After sending him back to his bed, I woke up an hour later with cramps in both legs-my right calf and left thigh. Then we woke up late and woke up to find out an elderly member of our congregation had passed away. It was expected, but still sad. He had no earthly family, so our church family was his family. He'll be missed, but he was in a lot of pain. It makes me feel utterly superficial, but DS's birthday party (put off a month because of our move) is supposed to be Saturday, so I'm hoping the funeral's not the same time or else we're gonna have to change the time/day. THEN... DD, who went to bed with a dry cough, woke up with a croup, sounding congested in her chest and also a red, goopy eye. So, I'm here with a sleeping teething toddler, a sick preschooler, crampy legs, mourning a dear friend and not sure if I should even start the birthday cake...

31 weeks today... can't believe it's going this quick. I knew it would, but still!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#41 of 45 Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM

Another person here signing up for the tired train!!!

Toot Toot!!!

Hang in there mamas... let's hope we get some good rest and sleep this weekend.

I could not even begin to be thinking about buying a house right now or moving - my sympathies!!!!!

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#42 of 45 Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM

I haven't posted here in a while!

I love the idea of a labor cake too, but I tend to go into labor in the middle of the night and then go fast. But, we'll see what happens this time.

I'm feeling pretty good, having crazy tired days mixed with energy filled days. The tired ones are starting to be more frequent making it hard to get things done!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#43 of 45 Old 03-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Sorry about all the ickyness becca. Hope everyone gets better soon.

I passed my glucose test!!partytime.gif

We also got our returns back from the accountant, and I am much, much calmer about finances for the rest of the year. Just a wee bit of padding to make everything a little easier.

I am so tired, and measuring ahead a bit (evidently pretty normal cause I'm short). We start birthing classes next week, which I am very excited about. I am also happy to be starting visits every two weeks. I freak out too much when left in my own brain, and ten minutes with my midwife just calms me down completely.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#44 of 45 Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I met with our new Ob/Gyn today for the first time. She seemed really busy and rushed but supportive of my plan for an un-medicated delivery. The only thing I didn't like was that she said that she usually induces at 41 weeks but allows 42 weeks but you have to have extra testing to make sure everything is ok. I got an ultrasound and baby was head down and wiggling her but at the camera. :) Baby was also doing practice breaths which is a good sign. Today relieved a lot of stress that I had been holding on to.

Elonwy- CONGRATS!

#45 of 45 Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Haven't had time to get caught up yet, but just checking in.  We had a fun vacation at Walt Disney World but we were all quite ill by Thursday and it was a long trip home Friday with no one feeling well.  The airline lost one of our bags too, so we had to wait around and do paperwork and deal with unpleasant people while we just wanted to get home.  The good news is they found our bag (called us at midnight!)

I actually made an appointment for myself with our family doctor today.  Just for background--my kids have never had anything other than a wellness visit there--and I haven't taken an antibiotic in 15 years.  So you know this is serious!  He said I have the worst case of bronchitis he's seen in a long time but doesn't think there is fluid in my lungs.  He said to call him if my fever goes above 101 degrees and he'll give me an antibiotic.  He scolded me for taking Tylenol (which I rarely do!)  but had to with traveling so long yesterday and if I wanted to make it to his office (an hour away) today.  I love that an MD treats it like the poison that it is.  He told me to take 275,000 IU of vitD3 for the next 7 days and 1000mg of vitC every 2 hours and just suffer through it.

Anyone have any suggestions to supress this cough especially at night?  I've been coughing so hard that it literally makes me vomit.  I need some rest!  I even bought non-drowsy OTC cough suppressant today but have taken it yet.  Imagine what my doctor would say about that if he hated the Tylenol so much! 

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page