Chat Thread March 7-13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This week is going to be crazy busy for me. I've got something every night this week. I've got dentist appointments, vet appointments and I'm meeting the new Ob/Gyn for the first time, baby ed class and other such stuff.

And then this weekend we are going to try and tackle cleaning out the basement and getting it all organized because on Sunday I have my first shower. I'm having two showers, one for DHs family and one for mine. One is Sunday and the other is next Saturday. My goal is to have the basement all cleaned out and ready for the new batch of stuff we'll be getting. I'm really lucky because our Goodwill will pick up and donation that's larger than 5 items and we're going to have at least a truck's bed worth of stuff. Although, most of it will be clothes. DH and I have lost a lot of weight over the last two years and we're finally getting rid of all of our old stuff.

Is anyone else currently dealing with a DH who really wants to start a large scale house project? DH wants to re-tile the kitchen and while he says it'll only take a weekend (Yea, right!) I just can't even think about starting that right now. First of all, I don't really want to be spending a ton of money before the baby gets here and second, I know it will take at least three times longer than he thinks it will and that entire time the kitchen will be out of use and that thought just about sends me to tears but he doesn't get why I don't want to just jump in and do it.

Ugh, sorry to complain but I almost broke down in the car last night in front of my MIL because he wouldn't drop it and when I told him I already had too much on my plate he responded by saying, "Well, this wont be on your plate. Just don't think about it." 

Ok. rant over. Happy thoughts for everyone this week.

#2 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Sally sorry to hear about the kitchen project.  Scary!

DH took me to a bed and breakfast for a night for my birthday after dinner out with his family.  He's such a prince.  We had a great connecting weekend together.

about 1.5 feet of snow at my house in VT overnight last nght....

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#3 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM

SallyNichole- good luck with your basement.  We have a finished basement and one side is the kids play area and fairly neat.  The other side is a pit and I really want to tackle it before the baby arrives.  For us, it's mostly paperwork and computer stuff so it requires more organizing. Good luck with all your appts.  Sounds very hectic.

I would go nuts if DH wanted to start a kitchen project.  My DH is sweet but not one to finish projects for months so I would definitely be upset.  Has your DH been very good about start/completing home projects before?

Annaconda- so sorry about the snow.  I am in MA and we finally have only had rain instead of snow.  The kids were so thrilled to see our grass today.  It's been covered since Xmas time.  That weekend sounds lovely.  How sweet.

AFM- just returned from my 31 week midwife appt- everything is great.  I am measuring 30 cms but I was 27 cms at my 28 week visit so that still is a 3 cm growth.  She was not concerned.  I go back in 2 weeks and will bring my birth plan to go over.  The birth plan I have used with my first 2 kiddos was fairly simple and just had the items we really wanted that were outside the norm.  DH is a wonderful advocate and not afraid to stand up to medical personnell so I am lucky to have him.

#4 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

He's got really great intentions and he's really good about working on it when he can but the problem comes in that we usually are waiting for someone else in his family to help him finish the work. He's not super handy but other people in the family are. I'm sure that if I weren't pregnant I wouldn't care but with all the baby to-dos and all the stuff we still want to do with our exchange student before she leaves in early June, I just don't think we should be adding anything else.

AnnaC- Very Nice! I hope you were able to sleep in and get lots of relaxing time together.

Karen- 3cm is pretty good.  And you still have weeks of growth spurts to go. :) Were your other two on the small-ish/average side?

#5 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so with all the general mommywisdom that we have floating around here, when, after birth, is it generally ok to have an alcoholic drink?

I have only had three craving this entire pregnancy: oj, guacamole, and a margarita. orngbiggrin.gif

I know I'll need to ask my dr but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here, too.

#6 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 AM

SallyNicole-don't know about the drinks. We don't drink, but having a husband wanting to start a big project this close to D-day would probably drive me to drink!

AFM-Just spent way too much money on maternity clothes and nursing bras. Motherhood is having a B3G1F sale on nursing bras. I only bought two outfits and four bras and DH kinda flipped at the price tag. So, I may be bringing back one outfit. But, the bras I refuse to give up, That's enough bras to last me through nursing, because at about 12-15 months I switch back to regular bras.

Had an OB visit today. This time it was with the CNM. She's really sweet. She wants me to rest more though... HA

Birthday party for the little man on Saturday. I'm making a volcano cake with a Dinosaur Train toy at the base of the volcano. Making it vegan because of food allergies of the kids at the party. I can do egg free. This will be the first time I've tried milk-free.

Kids are on my absolute last nerve today. I'm so thankful I'm home and it's naptime now!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 AM

I had a glass of champagne with dinner when DS1 was 2 days old.  When baby is quite small, I tend to avoid drinking more than a small glass of wine occasionally...as baby grows, I get less worried about it.  The amount of alcohol in your milk is the same as your blood alcohol level, so the amount of exposure to baby from breastmilk is much lower than in utero (however, small babies detoxify alcohol more slowly than adults, so that factors in as well)

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

http://www.motherisk.org/women/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=347

As for your kitchen, usually it's me pushing DH to do stuff to the house before baby shows up ;) With DS1, it was new flooring in the baby's room, painting the main floor, and tiling the kitchen counter (which we never got around to...even now, 6 years later).  DS2 we renovated the main floor powder/laundry room at around 35 weeks pregnant, which wasn't too bad, a little over a weekend job.  Then we proceeded to completely tear apart the upstairs bath only to (surprise!) not get it finished before our home birth. It was s-t-r-e-s-s-f-u-l and I was in tears alot...my FIL was here helping for a week while DH was at work during the day, and it just felt like NO progress was getting made, and I had no bathtub/shower until like a few days before baby arrived, and no toilet upstairs until AFTER the birth was over!!  So, this time I am pushing all the little "we shoulds" in my head waaaay back inside there and we are starting NO renovations. :P If we can declutter a few spots in the house so that we come home to a tidy home with baby, I will be satisfied!!

#8 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Sally Nicole, here is a copy and paste of La Leche Leagues breastfeeding recommendations.

http://www.llli.org/faq/alcohol.html

"La Leche League's The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding (p. 328) says:

The effects of alcohol on the breastfeeding baby are directly related to the amount the mother ingests. When the breastfeeding mother drinks occasionally or limits her consumption to one drink or less per day, the amount of alcohol her baby receives has not been proven to be harmful.

La Leche League's The Breastfeeding Answer Book (pp. 597-598) says:

Alcohol passes freely into mother's milk and has been found to peak about 30 to 60 minutes after consumption, 60 to 90 minutes when taken with food. Alcohol also freely passes out of a mother's milk and her system. It takes a 120 pound woman about two to three hours to eliminate from her body the alcohol in one serving of beer or wine...the more alcohol that is consumed, the longer it takes for it to be eliminated. It takes up to 13 hours for a 120 pound woman to eliminate the alcohol from one high-alcohol drink. The effects of alcohol on the breastfeeding baby are directly related to the amount the mother consumes."

So it's best to have your glass of wine or whatnot directly before breastfeeding, and then it's usually out of your system before you will need to feed again. Also, if you metabolize alcohol faster, or are heavier than 120 pounds. Then you have longer in between when you'd need to be concerned. There's always the option of pumping and having some extra bottled milk on hand if you want to have more than one drink. You don't have to pump and dump though because it leaves your milks as it leaves your blood stream.

#9 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies.

I'm not looking to have more than one but this entire pregnancy I've craved the taste of a margarita. I'll just have to be a little more patient, I guess.

#10 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Ugh the kitchen would bug me and I wouldn't want to start on it either. As for the drinking I prefer not to have a drink the first couple of weeks or at least until I get a hang on the baby's schedule enough to know that I have enough time for the drink to pass my system before the next feeding.

Keep in mind though one drink is one 12 oz beer, one 5 oz glass of wine, or one 1 oz shot. If you have a margarita make sure you measure the alcohol put in when you mix it so that you can be sure it counts as "1 drink" not 2 or 3.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#11 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies.

I'm not looking for more than one. I might even be fine with just a drink or two of one but this entire 32 weeks Ive craved margaritas.

I'll just wait until after I know around when she'll be wanting to bfeed

#12 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

oops, double post

#13 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM

I've been "lucky" enough to start a major project while pregnant all three times! The first time it was moving at 38 weeks, the second time I laid hardwood floors in my dining room. This time I am preparing my house to rent out. The renters will move in after the baby is born but there is still so much work to do before that. It is seriously overwhelming.

I feel almost bad that this is such an uneventful pregnancy. I fell pretty good. I did have some acid reflux last night and things like getting up from sitting on the floor are tough but other than that i feel pretty good especially when compared to how the first trimester and first part of the 2nd tri treated me.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#14 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM

SallyNichole,

Babies under 3 months old cannot metabolize the alcohol at all.  Their livers are still growing.  I personally would limit myself to one drink and do it immediately after nursing so that it could clear alot before the next feeding.

#15 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 PM

oh man. Total meltdown. I wrote a paper this weekend, got about halfway through, worked for about 5 hours. Saved it on my idisk, went to go work on it at work today and it wasn't there. Came home, found it, then synced the wrong way and overwrote it. Bawled for about 20 minutes, as in uncontrollable sobbing like someone had died. Of course the stupid thing is due tomorrow. Now I'm off to rewrite. *sigh*

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#16 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 PM

SallyNichole, I feel the same way! Which is so weird to me - my dh and I are not what you'd call drinkers really, maybe 1-2 drinks a month, if that. We go months without any alcohol and then one of us will bring something home, which will take us months to consume. And I didn't have any desire for alcohol during either of my previous pregnancies, or even while I was nursing, but with this pg I have wanted either a beer or a marg pretty much the whole time. So it's good to see I'm not the only one! And to get some info on how our bodies handle alcohol while nursing - I was thinking if I did do it, I'd have to pump and dump, so it's happy to find out that's not necessarily so.

Oddly enough, at babies r us a couple of months ago, I saw some test strips for alcohol in your milk in the breast pump section. No idea how reliable that would be.

My MIL likes to tell me how her "Irish grandma" (as opposed to her Italian grandma) used to tell her when she was pg with my dh that she needed to remember to drink her "good Irish beer" for all the vitamins and nutrients in it! Happily, she didn't, lol, but it makes me wonder if I'm somehow missing a nutrient I need that I've been craving beer off and on! I should look that up...

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#17 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

oh man. Total meltdown. I wrote a paper this weekend, got about halfway through, worked for about 5 hours. Saved it on my idisk, went to go work on it at work today and it wasn't there. Came home, found it, then synced the wrong way and overwrote it. Bawled for about 20 minutes, as in uncontrollable sobbing like someone had died. Of course the stupid thing is due tomorrow. Now I'm off to rewrite. *sigh*

Oh Elonwy! I'm so sorry! hug2.gif

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#18 of 45 Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

I would have bawled, too. Like a BABY!

I save stuff to google documents as well as a thumbdrive now, because that has happened to me more than once.

Also, MamaChef, thanks for the info on newborn's liver development! I was looking forward to a beer, but will definitely hold out.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#19 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 AM

Oh my word. Last night I started getting an achy, stabby pain in my pubic bone. It was so bad I couldn't move. DH had to carry me to the bathroom because I had to pee. I think my full bladder+baby was too much weight on my pubic bone because it got better, but still hurts. Anytime I shifted weight last night in bed or walk around it just hurts. I've never had pain like this. I may see if my MIL will come over to watch my kids so I can go to the chiropractor.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#20 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 AM

Elonwy - been there - it's a nightmare mecry.gif

Becca - ouch! Hope it goes away soon!

Feeling good - hit 32 weeks on Sunday! Getting excited - bought the homebirth kit last night and have some prefolds and fuzzi bunz on the way. Now have to finish my maternity leave plan this week - struggling with it a bit and need to just LET GO.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#21 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Caught up, read it all, love you guys!!!!

I have had the occasional sip of beer and wine throughout my pregnancy.  I've not really wanted any more than that, but I have loved a sip of good beer every few weeks and ditto with a little sip of wine here or there.  I may be in the minority here but if I wanted a sip of margarita, I'd probably have one while pregnant.  I've been erring on the side of having a little bit on occasion so I don't want an entire drink at any point.  It's been completely satisfying and unworrying to me...  and I don't really want a whole drink ever at any point.  A little dab does it completely - just for taste, not for alcohol, I guess.  There are lots of good yeasts and carbs in beer.

As for right after birth, I found this non alcoholic sparkling cider and tried it and it was SO good and wouldn't result in any kind of dehydration from enjoying it.  In fact I totally had 2.5 glasses of it when I opened it last night it was so yummy and delicious.  It's going in the fridge/hospital bag for SURE!

I'm straddling the fact that things are flying by vs. creeping along.

Hypnobirthing classes start tonight - once a week, 2 hrs each, and will take me through the end of March.

At my house, the word of the next 8-10 weeks is MITIGATION.  DH said to me, ok. We're at that point.  We're just going to try to mitigate everything, not be aggressive.  We'll clean in small spurts.  We'll sleep as best we can.  We'll get you naps and good food.  We'll make sure you are comfortable.  We are on the home stretch here so please don't try to do anything gung-ho.  Let me do it for you, accept help, rest, relax, and let this last little bit go by without feeling guilty that you're not "contributing enough".  I like that so much.  Thankfully I don't have another LO to care for right now!

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#22 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View PostAt my house, the word of the next 8-10 weeks is MITIGATION.  DH said to me, ok. We're at that point.  We're just going to try to mitigate everything, not be aggressive.  We'll clean in small spurts.  We'll sleep as best we can.  We'll get you naps and good food.  We'll make sure you are comfortable.  We are on the home stretch here so please don't try to do anything gung-ho.  Let me do it for you, accept help, rest, relax, and let this last little bit go by without feeling guilty that you're not "contributing enough".  I like that so much.  Thankfully I don't have another LO to care for right now!

Love this!

#23 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 AM

After doing piles of research and getting the 'go ahead' from my OB & midwife, I have been having a glass of wine (or occasionally beer - but it's not my first choice) or two a week throughout my pregnancy. The recommended intake for all sorts of things in the States is very restrictive because people here sue like mad, so I've been checking into all the studies and regulations elsewhere too, so as to get a well rounded view on how the world views pregnancy. I'm a Canadian on a greencard, so I'm seeing some inherent large differences in what my friends in Canada are told vs what I get told here.

Right now, because I haven't found anything that tells me that this is outright bad, it's my plan to have a small glass of very expensive scotch directly after birth. I know lots of people do champagne toasts and whatnot, but I'm a scotch drinker and this will be my first chance to do so since I got pregnant and I'll likely just do a sip now and again while breastfeeding and stick mostly to a max of a glass of wine a day (unless I have some bottles prepared) until I decide to stop.

On a personal pregnancy note, I've suddenly become insanely thirsty and hungry in the last two weeks. I down three glasses of water in a row about 5 times a day. Suffice it to say, my washroom trips are becoming more frequent then anything else I do. I'm not really a sugar person because I've trained myself to not want it because of my PCOS, but now I'm craving ice cream and sweets a lot! I've managed to keep it reasonable, but is this just the baby getting fat time that is upon me?

#24 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM

reelgeek - I was doing the wine/beer thing to, until I found out about my glucose intolerance - then I had to cut it out (along with all other sorts of yummy stuff). I'm planning on champagne right after birth - but, hmmm, you've given me a great idea to get a bottle of fabulous scotch for hubby! I like it, but I love champagne way more.

#25 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Scotchy scotch scotch... I think I need to watch Anchorman now lol

#26 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Elonwy- I am so sorry about the loss of your paper.  I would have cried as well.

Funny, the discussion about alcohol.  I made Mexican last night and told DH I would give anything for an ice cold Corona with lime.  I don't drink often but I would love to just have a nice glass of red wine on the weekends on occassion.  With my other 2 kiddos, when they were tiny infants I only took a few sips of wine but as soon as they started to space our their nursings a bit, then I would sometimes nurse, have a glass of wine and then by the time they nursed again it was always 2-3 hr so more than ample time to exit my system.

I have friends in Ireland and it used to be standard practice to give women Guinness right after labor as they Guinness provided a lot of vitamins and carbs necessary to nursing and helped relax the new mom :-) 

Working some contracting hours this week.  Just trying to balance everything - still trying to figure that out.  DH had one of the managers in his department review my resume and she said they really liked it and that I should submit it to the company.  Going to have to wait until after the baby is born but that made my day.

#27 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the nice words. I finished crying, took a shower and sat down and rewrote the thing in 2.5 hours. Wasn't as good or as long, but it's done and I have something to turn in tonight. I came in late today to work too, cause my face was a hot mess this morning. Puffy and red and a headache. I put a cloth on my face and went back to sleep for three hours, was perfect. 

Beer is basically fermented bread, so it's full of good stuff. (not that I can drink it:P). I've grown to love my faux drinks, like the faux-jito and faux-gerita. Though an actual margarita would be pretty amazing, gotta say. I think I'll probably wait until the baby is a bit older and I know how the feedings are spaced, like other people said. 

Karen- That's got to feel exciting! YAY!

I was thinking about doing a birthday cake for the actual day of. My husband thinks I'm weird: "The baby can't eat it!" Umm... I can :P

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#28 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Almamiel - you actually can probably still have your wine, you know.  My mom is type 2 and often has a glass of red wine along with dinner because red wine actually helps lower your blood glucose levels (white wine works too, but not nearly as much - it tends to have more simple sugars.  Since beer has lots of carbs, it may not do anything at all, other than help increase milk supply).  The ADA actually recommends that if you're drinking alcohol and are on insulin, you test your blood sugar before bed to make sure your levels aren't too low (less of an issue with us pregnant ladies, since we probably aren't going to be having more than a glass), and there are plenty of studies that show moderate wine drinking can lower your fasting glucose levels (cinnamon does too, by the way - and green tea!).  They basically think that wine works like metformin... 

Obviously I'm not a doctor or anything, but you'd probably be perfectly safe drinking a little wine in the evenings if you wanted to!  In my GD nutrition class, the nurse said alcohol was a big no-no, but the midwife I talked to later said they throw that in because it's a group of pregnant ladies and no alcohol for the preggers is sort of the party line, not because it's actually bad for diabetics. 

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#29 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM

I have had the odd glass of wine with a meal during each pregnancy, too, although all it tends to do is give me heartburn :P  I think this time, I had a little bit with Christmas dinner and that's been it...but I did discover dealcoholized beer when I was DYING for a beer one day.  It's actually not all that bad!  It still has a wee, wee bit of alcohol (less than 0.5%) so I only have one or maybe two if I'm eating food with it.  It's not real beer by a long shot, but it's very light tasting and goes nicely with salsa and chips ;)  I went through a dying for margarita phase, too, and ended up drinking a ton of sugary lemonade and limeade...so yummy, but so bad for me!

Elonwy, with my second child, I read about making a cake during labour and fell in love with that idea.  If you search "labor cake" you should find some threads with recipes here on Mothering...there is one that each egg symbolizes something and supposedly your labour is supposed to move forward as you progress with the cake.  It was a great little activity (I kept it easy - cake mix and jarred icing!) to keep me busy and doing 'normal' stuff as long as I could before labour really got intense.  I baked the cake and iced it as labour was really getting going, and then we had a little "0" candle and sang happy birthday to the baby the next afternoon (the plan was to eat it immediately after birth, but I didn't feel like it...now that's a first!! LOL!).  The four of us cuddled up in bed and ate chocolate cake, crumbs and all.  One of my best memories (oh crap, now I am getting all teary thinking about it!).  We will definitely be doing it again for this one.  Actually, it's funny you mentioned it today, I was just thinking about it a couple of hours ago, planning what kind to make and reminding myself to add it to our packing list. 

#30 of 45 Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 PM

I love that story Bluepetals. I will probably do a gluten free cake mix, since that is the easiest thing. I have a castle cake form I used to make our wedding cake, I think it would be fun to use that for the baby too. I love the idea of the 0 candle :) Now to convince DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page