"Natural C-Section" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just had to share this c-section as I have never seen anything like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg&feature=youtube_gdata_player 

as the baby is being born, they lower the drape and let the mother watch baby slowly emerge, they delay cord clamping, and give baby straight to mom and don't seperate them. Then, they encourage breastfeeding right away. Why can't they all be like this when they are medically necessary? Just beautiful. Oh, and it is overseen by a midwife! 

Cutie Patootie likes this.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#2 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 AM

I watched this with tears running down my face. How I wish my births had been like this! Hopefully I won't have to even think about another c-section!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 AM

Beautiful! If my C-section had been like this, I really would not have such feelings about it. 

Thank you for sharing!

Cerise

Happily married mother of a tiny angel angel.gif (12/06 at 5 weeks) Maya Elizabeth dust.gif (12/07) and our full term angel Mateo German angel2.gif (Lost during labor on 06/01/11) Currently pregnant with our naturally conceived twin rainbow1284.gif's due 8/15/2012!

#4 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM

obviously, i don't want another c-section, but if i had one, i hope it would look like this.

before dd was born i was convinced that i would have the beautiful drug-free, intervention-free natural childbirth i had dreamed about.  c-section never even entered my mind because that wasn't going to happen to me.  so, when it happened, i was completely unprepared.  after the surgery, i completely stopped advocating for myself (like i had been up to that point).  i kind of just let things happen to me (i guess i felt defeated and disappointed).  my greatest regret about my c-section is that i didn't demand to hold my daughter sooner.  she was over two hours old before i got a chance to breastfeed.  

i don't regret how she came into this world, but i do regret that i didn't make more noise afterward.  even though i'm planning a natural childbirth this time around, i've included an "in the event of a c-section" in my birth plan which includes delayed cord clamping and immediate contact between mama and baby. 

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#5 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 AM

I cried when mom got to see baby's sex first.  This is a wonderful way to do this surgery when necessary... just hope it doesn't end up promoting more elective cesareans. 

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#6 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndie View Post
... just hope it doesn't end up promoting more elective cesareans. 

I doubt it would as someone who is naturally minded is probably not looking for a surgery if they can avoid it.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 AM

I agree that it probably wouldn't in the US, but here in Peru, the c-section rate is 85% and people don't see the need for natural childbirth...this may encourage them to have C-sections and not see the value more in natural childbirth. Because this way they could say they have the best of both worlds. 

I get told a lot that I am ridiculous for wanting a natural childbirth and not just doing it the "easy way" another time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I doubt it would as someone who is naturally minded is probably not looking for a surgery if they can avoid it.

Happily married mother of a tiny angel angel.gif (12/06 at 5 weeks) Maya Elizabeth dust.gif (12/07) and our full term angel Mateo German angel2.gif (Lost during labor on 06/01/11) Currently pregnant with our naturally conceived twin rainbow1284.gif's due 8/15/2012!

#8 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriserenee View Post

I get told a lot that I am ridiculous for wanting a natural childbirth and not just doing it the "easy way" another time...

i can't believe people think a c-section is the "easy way".  i wouldn't want to go through that again.  the surgery, the recovery, how it affected me physically and emotionally...no thanks.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#9 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM

I don't think the very few doctors willing to perform c-sections like this are going to allow patients to just elect to have surgery.  Nobody can demand a c-section when it's not necessary, you have to find an OB who supports that, I would think out of anyone these would be the OB's to say, no, that's not safe, I won't do it.  Anyways...looking on the positive side, this is such good news for the moms who will need c-sections, better for mom & baby. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#10 of 44 Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 PM

I agree.  My backup OB performs gentle cesareans and I can't imagine he'd allow a woman to just elect to have it done.  From talking to him about such things he gave me the impression that it's very much looked at as a last resort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

I don't think the very few doctors willing to perform c-sections like this are going to allow patients to just elect to have surgery.  Nobody can demand a c-section when it's not necessary, you have to find an OB who supports that, I would think out of anyone these would be the OB's to say, no, that's not safe, I won't do it.  Anyways...looking on the positive side, this is such good news for the moms who will need c-sections, better for mom & baby. 

#11 of 44 Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 PM

I completely agree...it was so hard on me and my family....plus the bonding was so hard, and breastfeeding even harder. I really pray that all those who are trying for VBAC and natural births in this forum are able to have beautiful, healing, powerful and strengthening births!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

i can't believe people think a c-section is the "easy way".  i wouldn't want to go through that again.  the surgery, the recovery, how it affected me physically and emotionally...no thanks.

#12 of 44 Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM

I think that is great but now I really wish I wouldn't have watched it, because it drug up all the memories from

my c-section :( I had such severe chest pain immediately afterwards that even when they brought the baby into recovery I

didn't hold him b/c I was in such pain.  The thought of having another C-Section makes me want to throw up.

I am honestly glad for that lady and glad that she was happy with her birth though.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#13 of 44 Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriserenee View Post

I agree that it probably wouldn't in the US, but here in Peru, the c-section rate is 85%

jaw.gif

That is so, SO sad. I had no idea.

I can see the reasons for hoping this doesn't become the next trend - but I tend to agree that those seeking out and those performing this type of c/s would not be doing it out of convenience. At least, I really hope not. As far as c/s go, this would certainly be the one to have.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#14 of 44 Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriserenee View Post....plus the bonding was so hard, and breastfeeding even harder.

oh, for me too.  i was miserable and felt so alone.  wish i had known about mdc back then (didn't find it until dd was nearly a year).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#15 of 44 Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 PM

#16 of 44 Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 PM

As most of you know, I am trying for a VBAC here is Peru, and am working with a wonderful midwife. She is the only Doctor (She is actually and OBGYN that acts as a midwife here) in all of Lima that will work with you to have VBAC. I am grateful to have found her and am really hoping for a great experience. I also can understand those who don't want to watch this, or wish they hadn't...C-sections can be so traumatic...I am sending lots of healing energy to you all.

#17 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 AM

A few things I want to say:

1. yes you can ask for a cesarean and get it. LOTS of people do. This is a large part of why iatrogenic prematurity is such a huge, huge, huge problem in the states.

2. In times when a cesarean is medically necessary, most are emergencies... they won't have time or the luxury to make things all flowers and sunshine. It is going to be 99% the "non emergent" cesareans that are capable of being done like this, which means that it's mostly elective and repeats, which are neither medically necessary nor should be encouraged. I think the general idea here is that if you have the option to have a "woman centered cesarean" (what a misleading title!), you probably didn't need a cesarean at all. There will be exceptions, but it'll be pretty rare.

3. Before anyone jumps on me for not knowing what I'm talking about, I'm a cesarean mom and an ICAN co-leader.

Being safe and happy with your birth are paramount, and in the best interest of mother and baby health (as well as bonding, long term side effects, breastfeeding, and a MILLION other reasons) cesareans should not be prettied up imho. They're already popular enough... I think we can all agree the last thing the cesarean industry needs is more excitement on why it's awesome to get one. Cesareans are major abdominal surgery, and carry very serious risks to both mother and baby. I don't know that I think this kind of surgery should be promoted considering the amount of women who would be ideal candidates for it (IE. ones that cannot, cannot, cannot have a vaginal birth and that reason does not mean an increase in medical monitoring or care due to being in a high risk situation) are going to be very few. VERY few.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#18 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 12:25 AM

10:29-10:37

"And I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be the way in which cesarean section- elective cesarean sections - are generally performed across the country".

Emphasis may be mine in text, but it's his as well; listen to his voice. This is an option only for elective sections. Those which are NOT medically necessary, NOT an emergency, where vaginal birth WAS an option.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#19 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 AM

I think this is incredible and was really moved by the film...until the end when the doctor said something about changing the way elective c-sections are done.  I'm thoroughly against elective c-sections, but for mothers who have no other choice but c/s, this is so amazing.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#20 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 AM

Yuck. :( 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

"And I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be the way in which cesarean section- elective cesarean sections - are generally performed across the country".

Emphasis may be mine in text, but it's his as well; listen to his voice. This is an option only for elective sections. Those which are NOT medically necessary, NOT an emergency, where vaginal birth WAS an option.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#21 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 AM

What about something medically indicated but not emergent...like transverse position, herpes outbreak, etc.  I would never, ever, ever elect to have a c-section, but if I were in a position where I was having to plan one, it would be nice to know that options like this are available.  And what about a failure to progress c-section - one could argue that those are unnecessary, but they don't tend to be a whisk-you-off-fast situation.  If the routine practice could move to incorporate at least some of this stuff, as much as possible in different circumstances, it would make a big difference for people's experiences. 

There is a video in our LLL library about the 10 stages a brand-new baby goes through to latch for the first time, and it has a section in it aimed at health care providers, to show how they can alter their standard way of doing things to help facilitate this process in c-section birth.  Little things like lowering a curtain are not particularly difficult or time consuming to do, it's just a routine/cultural shift and then it becomes part of the norm.  And if baby is breathing well at birth, there shouldn't be a reason to separate from mom, even if there was a rush to get baby out.  Making changes at the non-emergent level could, eventually, affect how emergent situations unfold, even just a little bit.  You make something just a part of the routine and it becomes easier to incorporate more and more often.

#22 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Littleteapot, may I say how much I disagree?

My DD was born by c/s for unstable hemorrhage resulting from a grade III placenta previa.  The surgery is coded as "elective" in my records.  I have no idea how many of the surgeries described as elective in hospital records and statistics resemble mine in that no one who wasn't a hospital administrator would consider them optional.

Now, honestly, I would not have wanted this kind of surgery:  by the time my DD was born, I was completely freaked by the sight of blood and DH was worse.  I am immensely grateful that they cleaned her up before they brought her to me (which was about 60 seconds before they brought her to the NICU).  But we had some time before the surgery - not a lot, but a few minutes - to discuss our desires with the OB, to consult with anesthesiology, neonatology, and the surgical team, and I see no reason why we should have been denied this option.

Your argument seems to be that c-sections are popular enough, we shouldn't make them nicer.  But that implies that making the c/s nicer is just a frill, and I don't think it is.  If facilitating mother/infant contact makes the situation prettier, so be it - we don't do it because it's prettier, we do it because it's good for moms and babies.

I would love to change the way hospitals operate.  I would love for unrestricted malpractice insurance to be affordable to all OBs, and for every hospital to be able to staff the L&D unit at levels that make VBAC safe and available for all women.  I don't think that anyone but me and my doctor should have input into the question of whether or not I have a surgical delivery.  None of these things requires that obstetrical surgery must suck for everyone who has it. 

Quote:

A few things I want to say:

1. yes you can ask for a cesarean and get it. LOTS of people do. This is a large part of why iatrogenic prematurity is such a huge, huge, huge problem in the states.

2. In times when a cesarean is medically necessary, most are emergencies... they won't have time or the luxury to make things all flowers and sunshine. It is going to be 99% the "non emergent" cesareans that are capable of being done like this, which means that it's mostly elective and repeats, which are neither medically necessary nor should be encouraged. I think the general idea here is that if you have the option to have a "woman centered cesarean" (what a misleading title!), you probably didn't need a cesarean at all. There will be exceptions, but it'll be pretty rare.

3. Before anyone jumps on me for not knowing what I'm talking about, I'm a cesarean mom and an ICAN co-leader.

Being safe and happy with your birth are paramount, and in the best interest of mother and baby health (as well as bonding, long term side effects, breastfeeding, and a MILLION other reasons) cesareans should not be prettied up imho. They're already popular enough... I think we can all agree the last thing the cesarean industry needs is more excitement on why it's awesome to get one. Cesareans are major abdominal surgery, and carry very serious risks to both mother and baby. I don't know that I think this kind of surgery should be promoted considering the amount of women who would be ideal candidates for it (IE. ones that cannot, cannot, cannot have a vaginal birth and that reason does not mean an increase in medical monitoring or care due to being in a high risk situation) are going to be very few. VERY few.

#23 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post None of these things requires that obstetrical surgery must suck for everyone who has it. 

I agree - it's not necessarily about prettying it up, it's about making the best out of a less-than-ideal situation for the sake of each mother-baby pair.  And it doesn't mean we can't continue to strive for a 15% c-section rate instead of 30%; those 15% of necessary sections would be at least a slightly better experience for those mothers and babies.

Maybe that's naive?  I have been fortunate not to have had institutionally-approached births (my first was in hospital, but with a family physician, not an OB), so maybe I just see the world through rose-coloured glasses ;)

#24 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 AM

Two doctors in my state perform c-sections like this, and I know for a fact they do emergency c-sections like this.  In fact I just spoke to an ICAN leader the other day about her c-section (yes, truly necessary, after days of laboring), that was beautiful and gentle like in this video.  Better for mom better for baby.

Quote:

#25 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Really, I agree with the fact that cesareans should be done with a lot more care... less traumatizing is the way to go. Having baby up on your chest would be great. Skin to skin would be great. Minimal separation would be great. Ideal. Perfect! But the word "Elective" has a very specific meaning, and it is for cesareans where a choice was present. And I stand by my original point: the number of women who would be truly eligible for this (including in the above examples) is very, very slim. This will not be an option for emergent cesareans. Period. Which, if we're trying to get down to a safe and healthy number of cesareans, is what we're aiming to save the surgery for.

Emergency cesarean sections are done to save a mother and baby's life, which is why the doctor specifically said these can only be done for electives. He mentions repeatedly that while the surgical procedure doesn't differ, extra time is involved. You do not have that time in an emergent situation... because it is an emergency. You do not have the luxury for skin to skin and all that stuff because mom and baby are in dire need. That's why the surgery was done. Originally this is why we had cesareans, but this is no longer the case unfortunately.

Labours that are "too long" or have failure to progress are very, very, very often iatrogenic. By several days in it's unlikely it will change, but changes to policy in the beginning would have created a very different situation. The times when failure to progress is a serious issue are very slim, and you're usually talking about situations wherein CPD is true (less than 1% of diagnosed CPD is true CPD caused by a defect in the baby's head or mother's pelvis). Persistent transverse lie in late labour is also very rare. It happens, but it's extremely extremely rare (and is often exacerbated by having your membranes artificially ruptured, as if often the case with cord prolapse as well). As for the herpes outbreak one... well, please do a lot of research on the topic. I don't want this thread to turn into a, "let me prove to everyone why MY cesarean was necessary"-a-thon because that's pointless and painful, but please remember that very few are medically required... that's why we have a problem. If you're standing in a room full of 100 women who all had "necessary" cesareans, chances are only about 8-10 needed them. This is the sad truth about the cesarean epidemic.

PS. On the hospital record thing. Sometimes they write that to cover their a$$. My records also say "Elected to have a cesarean" after being "calmly explained the pros and cons"... when in reality my baby was crowning when the doctor realized he was frank breech (the safest and best way to deliver a vaginal breech) and reached in and shoved him forcibly back into my uterus while I screamed in pain, told me my baby would die if I didn't agree with him, and then took me to the OR (without moving his hand from inside my uterus the entire time) and knocked me unconscious while I screamed, "No I want a vaginal birth. I want a vaginal birth". Ironically he ended up dying anyway for something totally unrelated and unseen... you'd hope that doc would feel like a tool for having used the dead baby card and actually having it happen, but no...

Not much elective about that. I was told my cesarean was "emergency", but in my records it's classed as BOTH elective and emergent... however, neither are true. It wasn't an emergency, and it wasn't elective: it was just bad policy. The next day the surgeon came in and said, "If I'd known your baby was going to die anyway I might have allowed you to have a vaginal birth", shook my hand and left. Bad policy, impatience and fear is what drives most cesareans... the institution needs to change. Birth on a whole needs to be healthier and safer for mom and baby, and imho we're not going to get there by focusing all our energy on making elective cesareans prettier.

#26 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:

Emergency cesarean sections are done to save a mother and baby's life, which is why the doctor specifically said these can only be done for electives. He mentions repeatedly that while the surgical procedure doesn't differ, extra time is involved. You do not have that time in an emergent situation... because it is an emergency. You do not have the luxury for skin to skin and all that stuff because mom and baby are in dire need.

Again, I disagree. 

If a surgical delivery is done to address a crisis which ends with birth, then there is no reason why, crisis past, skin to skin contact can't be initiated immediately.  So long as I'm not puking into my oxygen mask, is there any reason why the nurse assigned to make sure I'm not showing signs of distress can't lower a curtain at the right moment?  There is no reason why a basically healthy set of parents can't nuzzle a basically healthy baby on one side of the blue curtain while suturing goes on on the other.  In a lot of cases, c-sections are preventive medicine:  poor fetal heart tones might indicate a serious problem, but might be nothing - if I'm getting bad fetal heart tones, I want surgery and if, once out of my body, my baby is pink and screaming, we can all slow down and indulge in a small luxury like nursing on the table. 

My "elective" section (they really do not need to cover their butts when sectioning for previa) included a moment where a nurse brought me my baby and held her where I could kiss her cheek.  They still got her to the NICU really fast, and surgical recovery was arranged so that my mom and my DH could come in and report to me on how she was doing.  Why on earth does everyone not get that?

We don't have to attack only one problem in maternity care at a time.  We can have nicer c-sections AND work to reduce the overall percentage of c-sections.  Collectively, we have the resources to do both. 

geekgolightly likes this.
#27 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

PS. On the hospital record thing. Sometimes they write that to cover their a$$. My records also say "Elected to have a cesarean" after being "calmly explained the pros and cons"... when in reality my baby was crowning when the doctor realized he was frank breech (the safest and best way to deliver a vaginal breech) and reached in and shoved him forcibly back into my uterus while I screamed in pain, told me my baby would die if I didn't agree with him, and then took me to the OR (without moving his hand from inside my uterus the entire time) and knocked me unconscious while I screamed, "No I want a vaginal birth. I want a vaginal birth". Ironically he ended up dying anyway for something totally unrelated and unseen... you'd hope that doc would feel like a tool for having used the dead baby card and actually having it happen, but no...

Not much elective about that. I was told my cesarean was "emergency", but in my records it's classed as BOTH elective and emergent... however, neither are true. It wasn't an emergency, and it wasn't elective: it was just bad policy. The next day the surgeon came in and said, "If I'd known your baby was going to die anyway I might have allowed you to have a vaginal birth", shook my hand and left. Bad policy, impatience and fear is what drives most cesareans... the institution needs to change. Birth on a whole needs to be healthier and safer for mom and baby, and imho we're not going to get there by focusing all our energy on making elective cesareans prettier.

What your doc did is insane! The baby was coming out, that should have been considered too late. It's obvious he had never had to deal with that before and panicked. How horrible! If your baby wasn't going to die anyway, they may have had some serious injuries from what your doc did.

Just another thing to add to the list of why I'm UCing. 

I honestly know very little about C/S except that they are done way too often and the fact that you had a previous one doesn't mean you should have another. I tried to convince my sister to try for a VBAC with her second, as her first was an emergency C/S for pre-e at 31 wks gestation, but she wouldn't do it though I gave her all the info. She actually said she didn't like the idea of a vaginal birth. I found that sad but I guess her only experience with a vaginal birth was how my first went (she was there) and the way typical hospital vaginal births go is also rather scary. I'm sure the whole thing really freaked her out. 

I will say anyway, that I think littleteapot could be right, that this type of surgery is only available when the situation isn't considered emergent and that is troubling. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine docs who thought the situation was an emergency doing things so nice from my previous experiences.

#28 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 PM

uum did you completely miss my post about the fact that emergency sections are done like this in my state?  By two OB's who believe this is what is BEST for mom & baby, not for the frills.  And if this isn't about proving which c-sections are necessary, why are you going ahead and trying to disprove the c-section that I mentioned?  I don't really care about the strange attitude you have towards all of this but please just stop saying this will not be an option for emergency c-sections because it's not true, it's not a matter of your opinion.

Quote:

Really, I agree with the fact that cesareans should be done with a lot more care... less traumatizing is the way to go. Having baby up on your chest would be great. Skin to skin would be great. Minimal separation would be great. Ideal. Perfect! But the word "Elective" has a very specific meaning, and it is for cesareans where a choice was present. And I stand by my original point: the number of women who would be truly eligible for this (including in the above examples) is very, very slim. This will not be an option for emergent cesareans. Period. Which, if we're trying to get down to a safe and healthy number of cesareans, is what we're aiming to save the surgery for.

Emergency cesarean sections are done to save a mother and baby's life, which is why the doctor specifically said these can only be done for electives. He mentions repeatedly that while the surgical procedure doesn't differ, extra time is involved. You do not have that time in an emergent situation... because it is an emergency. You do not have the luxury for skin to skin and all that stuff because mom and baby are in dire need. That's why the surgery was done. Originally this is why we had cesareans, but this is no longer the case unfortunately.

Labours that are "too long" or have failure to progress are very, very, very often iatrogenic. By several days in it's unlikely it will change, but changes to policy in the beginning would have created a very different situation. The times when failure to progress is a serious issue are very slim, and you're usually talking about situations wherein CPD is true (less than 1% of diagnosed CPD is true CPD caused by a defect in the baby's head or mother's pelvis). Persistent transverse lie in late labour is also very rare. It happens, but it's extremely extremely rare (and is often exacerbated by having your membranes artificially ruptured, as if often the case with cord prolapse as well). As for the herpes outbreak one... well, please do a lot of research on the topic. I don't want this thread to turn into a, "let me prove to everyone why MY cesarean was necessary"-a-thon because that's pointless and painful, but please remember that very few are medically required... that's why we have a problem. If you're standing in a room full of 100 women who all had "necessary" cesareans, chances are only about 8-10 needed them. This is the sad truth about the cesarean epidemic.

#29 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM

That's really neat. It'd be even neater if it could almost always be like that for any emergency C/S. I'm assuming that it's only relevant for something they know before hand, rather than an on the spot emergency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

...emergency sections are done like this in my state?  By two OB's who believe this is what is BEST for mom & baby, not for the frills.  

#30 of 44 Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM

It's something that I will have in my birth plan for an emergency situation.  I can't really think of an emergency situation that wouldn't permit skin to skin contact right away (unless I'm under general anesthesia)  Me holding the baby or a nurse holding the baby makes no difference when determining apgar score, in a full term pregnancy of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

That's really neat. It'd be even neater if it could almost always be like that for any emergency C/S. I'm assuming that it's only relevant for something they know before hand, rather than an on the spot emergency?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page