Nursing bra VS front clasp bra - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm the last of my friends to have a baby, some of them are even on baby 2 or 3. And I've heard conflicting things about going ahead and getting a nursing bra or saving money and buying the cheaper front clasp bras.

What do y'all think?

~Keep in mind that I'm a big boobed mom-to-be.

#2 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM

You mean the bras that clasp in the center front? I would definitely prefer a nursing bra or tank personally. I found some good priced ones at target and they were nice and comfy. I'm on number 3. If you have a big chest, then you may be looking at higher costs of finding a larger sized nursing bra. I personally start out as an A cup (pre-pregnancy) then go up to a C by the end of the pregnancy and end up as a D for a while in the beginning of nursing. Possibly even until my kiddos start solids, then go back down to a C I think for the rest of the nursing experience. Just to give you an idea about it. Some nursing bras are more forgiving for sizes. I think the bravados are supposed to be that way with some of their styles, though they are spendy. The target one I found was the gilligan and omalley sleeping bra and I think it'll stretch but it only goes up to a DD. Tanks are forgiving but I think they'd only fit up to a D comfortably unless you get the specialty nursing tanks with REAL bras built in. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM

What I do (and I'm a 40/42F) is nursing bra from birth until about 6 months or so, then a nice bra from Frederick's, slipping the strap off my shoulder and "popping it out" to nurse.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I am just not used to spending upwards of 35 dollars on a bra but I have a feeling that quality and cost are linked in this particular area. I'm just going to bite the bullet and invest in some really good quality nursing bras.

#5 of 19 Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM

Personally I would not like the front clasp bras while nursing since you could end up popping out too much with them.  I second the gillian & omalley's from target- they are cheap and fit decently.  Be forewarned that no matter how much you spend, you will end up needing to buy more as time goes by.  I was a C pre-pg, a D in pg then an F postpartum, settling to a DD and finally a D again when DS was around 10-12mo or so.  By the time I got back to a D, I could wear regular bras again (hallelujah) and I just pulled the cup over or slipped the strap off.

Some decent options for less expensive nursing bras online:  breakout bras, motherwear (not my favorite), and ebay

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#6 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM

I'd go for true nursing bras, maybe a couple that are comfy enough to sleep in and a couple that are super supportive for wearing out of the house. I'm a big cup but small band(34G-H once milk is in), so I have to order online to find something that fits. I usually order from Breakout Bras, because they have free shipping, easy returns, and the best prices. They also have the best sizing instructions, ime.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#7 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 PM

I definitely think nursing bras are worth the money. Sadly, I don't require as much support as many of you seem to.. lol, (unless this time around I'm about to be amazed) but I have the opposite problem as ibusymomto5, needing a larger band and smaller cup... (38-40, a-b.. maybe a b+ish cup) and they're hard to find too.. definitely going to check that site out!

I tried the odd front-closing bra in the past, and even if I was home and showing way too much didn't matter, the problem I ran into was my bra basically running away from me back behind me, and getting it closed again with a usually sleeping infant in hand was pretty much impossible, and if I was home alone fine, but if family was over or whatever.. not so much a good time. My breasts were just too small to get to the nipples if I didn't open the silly thing all the way. Just a hassle.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#8 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The front clasp bra might come off completely while nursing. The nursing bras are worth it.

#9 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 PM

I am a big breasted woman and pretty much had to wear a bra 24/7 for the 1st 6 to 9 months due to leakage!  I needed to be able to keep a pad in place.  My friend sent me her used nursing bras and in the pile was 1 Bravada!!  Amazing and wonderful.  Even though I wore it everyday...she did too...it kept its shape and support.  And the support these bras give is second to none that I have tried.  I bought myself 2 this go round.  So worth the $35 to $45 dollars.  http://www.bravadodesigns.com/  

I would recommend staying away from anything with wire in it to avoid any kind of breast infections.

#10 of 19 Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

I did not like any nursing bras.  I really liked the nursing tanks (Target).  I wore them every day.  

#11 of 19 Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 AM

I've been buying nursing bras since I was around 10 weeks... my boobs have grown 2+ cup sizes already, and the first one I bought was because target was out of sports bras in my size (and I figured I'd be nursing anyway, so...)

The next nursing bra I bought was because I wasn't feeling adequately supported in my bras at 18-20 weeks and I was at a maternity store anyway... it was SO MUCH more supportive than sports bras (and no more uni-boob) or regular non-preggo bras... I got a second nursing bra - same style, different color when I went back to exchange a pair of pants - best decision ever, very happy to have these bras and know that I'll be using them for their intended purpose soon!

As for actually NURSING with the nursing bras, I'd say the nursing bras have at least one HUGE advantage over front-clasp... there are several adjustments on the band of a nursing bra, as opposed to a single setting with a front-clasp.

If your breasts are changing sizes as you nurse, I'd think you're more likely to fall out of a front clasp... maybe that's just me.

also, I dig the built-in pad/space for padding in the nursing bra, and the way it manages to be super-supportive despite changing breast size/firmness (from my experience thus far in pregnancy)

#12 of 19 Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 AM

I've never done nursing bras but I have small breasts so I have no idea if this would work for larger breasted women.

I buy bras without underwire. Barely there makes a really nice one AND it does have shoulder clasps so you can take the cups down if you want though it isn't marketed as a nursing bra. I nurse from the bottom. The baby covers my stomach and I wear a sweater or shirt to cover my sides/back.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#13 of 19 Old 03-11-2011, 12:35 PM

#14 of 19 Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to go ahead and invest in some nursing bras with a front clap for at home, just to try it out. Since I am large breasted most of the front clasp bras have three or more claps and I think I could get away with leaving one of the bottom clasps closed so the the whole bra doesn't come off. It'll be an entertaining experiment.

#15 of 19 Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 AM

With DD1, I bought several of the Medela nursing bras and one Bravado bra.  For some reason I wasn't as crazy about the Bravado but did like the Medela one.  Now, with DD2, I really loved the Bravado and sort of wore out the 2 I own.  I've never looked at Target for nursing tanks but will have to check it out.  I tend to wear my nursing bras 24/7 for almost the first year of nursing because I have a very overactive letdown and unless I have a nursing pad snuggly against myself I leak horribly on my clothes.  I am an A-cup pre-pregnancy and about a B-cup right now, will end up a C at the beginning of nursing and eventually a B.  I'm not sure how supportive the Bravado is for larger breasted women.  If you plan on having several kiddos than it is a worthwhile investment because these bras are on their 3rd and final round.

#16 of 19 Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMT View Post

With DD1, I bought several of the Medela nursing bras and one Bravado bra.  For some reason I wasn't as crazy about the Bravado but did like the Medela one.  Now, with DD2, I really loved the Bravado and sort of wore out the 2 I own.  I've never looked at Target for nursing tanks but will have to check it out.  I tend to wear my nursing bras 24/7 for almost the first year of nursing because I have a very overactive letdown and unless I have a nursing pad snuggly against myself I leak horribly on my clothes.  I am an A-cup pre-pregnancy and about a B-cup right now, will end up a C at the beginning of nursing and eventually a B.  I'm not sure how supportive the Bravado is for larger breasted women.  If you plan on having several kiddos than it is a worthwhile investment because these bras are on their 3rd and final round.

I like my Bravado Original for around the house/sleeping in, but it's not supportive enough for me for a going out type bra. I also have a Bravado Bliss, and it is much more supportive and good for going out, but I think the cups run kind of small in that one and it's not quite as comfy as the other one. My absolute favorite for going out is the Elomi 3912. It's an underwire, but it is incredibly comfy, extremely supportive, and gives a very nice shape. I can have it on all day and not feel at all like I'm wearing an underwire. It's actually more comfy than my soft cups.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#17 of 19 Old 03-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post

I also have a Bravado Bliss, and it is much more supportive and good for going out, but I think the cups run kind of small in that one and it's not quite as comfy as the other one. My absolute favorite for going out is the Elomi 3912.

I'll have to check out the Bravado Bliss and the Elomi.  I am prone to plugged ducts so not so sure about anything with an underwire.  The only way I can wear the Bravado Original outside the house is with my think nursing pads.  Otherwise it is just too thin.  The only other complaint I have about the Bravado is if you are planning to wear it during the summer it has a full back to it and shows above most tank type tops.

#18 of 19 Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 PM

I've only used nursing bras and I, too am ample chested. I honestly wouldn't be able to function as well without them, but to be fair, mine were all given to me in like new condition. Had I had to buy them I probably would have tried to make due with something cheaper.

#19 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM

I have small breasts, so I opted for stretchy bras (I like patagonias barely-there bra) that I just pull down to nurse with. The clasps and such just got irritating. Or, a tank w/ a shelf bra. But I imagine I can only get away with this since I am *maybe* a C when nursing (B otherwise)!

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page