NB outfit plans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With DS I made these little nb kimonos in neutral colors that were so cute but they ended up being huge on him at birth and we got many comments of "why is your son wearing a dress?"  in regards to the nb pictures.  I wanted something nice for this baby- something new since all DS clothes are gender neutral from nb-3 mo and this babe will have A LOT of hand me down's.  I tie-died some little nb tshirts but don't have a whole outfit.  I don't know why this matters to me so much but this time it does!  I really don't want a cheap layette set (carter's style) either.  I wouldn't mind a better made one/organic or something...

Any suggestions?  What are you planning on whether or not you know the sex?

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM

I ended up splurging on a few girly clothes as all my NB/0-3 stuff was gender nuetral and girly stuff is so cute! :) 

I don't have money to spend more on "nicer" stuff, so I don't have suggestions there, but I understand how you feel. If I were well off, I'd spend some on organic clothes, etc.

Now that I think about it, I think etsy has some really neat stuff. I'd definitely check that out.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM

I think my MIL is making baby a sweater (she has made one for my other 2 kiddos, and pretty sure she mentioned recently on Facebook that she's working on one).  As with the other 2, it'll be green, yellow, or some combination, since we don't find out the sex :P  Possibly it will be really green as I asked her a while back about whether she might be able to do a Yoda baby hat to surprise my DH when baby is born...so if she did that, the sweater will probably match.  I must really love my hubby.  LOL!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:49 PM
tzs

i think we'll just do onesies and blankets for a while...until i either pull out dd's old stuff or get our hands on new stuff. 

how did you make the kimono, by the way? is it hard? i just got a sewing machine and i think this might be another girl!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 PM

I'm totally going to splurge on a little something from Zutano (a local VT company).  They're outrageous but I know exactly the onesie and cap that I want my little guy to enjoy for the first stylish little outfit.  I'm so not a fashion person but... I can't help it.  Most everything else in the drawers is gifted handmedowns.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 PM

I would also like one nice new outfit for newborn pictures and maybe to wear on the birthday itself. Have no idea where to get it or what I'm looking for. I'm browsing but not super impressed with anything I see...but it's a boy and the clothes just aren't as cute.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:15 PM

My grandmother made two sweaters for this baby, blue and pink. I pulled together two coming home outfits from my favourite of our clothes (which are almost all second hand). The blue one will have a Petit Bateau striped wrap onesie and blue pants. The pink my favourite Hanna Anderson wiggle pants (orange, which matches the varrigated stripes in the sweater) and a plain soft wrap onesie. They are all packed in a packing cube waiting for the rest of the hospital bag.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM

I got this from a seller on Etsy... since gowns don't work great with carseats, I'll probably hike it up around her hips and possibly get some newborn BabyLegs or something to put with it.  Or maybe I'll take pictures of her in this and then change her into a comfy one-piece with legs. LOL

181711_494710086338_565226338_6602963_4211830_n.jpg

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 PM

Old 03-12-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKrista View Post

Beth, very cute! I've been hunting around Etsy in hopes of something sparking my interest. We kept gender a surprise though so we unfortunately can't do anything super cutesy custom :( I'm considering maybe finding 2 separate outfits that I love, 1 for each gender. It'd have to be from a big box store though because I'd want to return the one we don't use. lol

A friend of mine wasn't finding out her baby's sex, so she was going to go with neutral colors and just put their last name possibly.  (I put the flower on the hat.)  I have never had a "surprise" (I'm too impatient), but I DID take a neutral outfit to the hospital when my daughter was born just in case. ;)

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

Old 03-13-2011, 04:29 AM

We already have both our kids' going-home outfits, so I think he may wear his big brother's (or big sister's if we just saw umbilical cord--I can hold onto the possibility still, right?) going-home outfit. It's a really cute overall outfit with a bear on it.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 AM

NM :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 AM

I just commented to dh yesterday that if we do have a baby girl, things are going to be getting mighty pink and fluffy around the 3 month mark to make up for so much initial neutrailty! Pretty much everything we have is used, and gender neutral to boyish, as per some dreams I've had, but I do have both ds's and dd's coming home outfits, and my grandma gave me one impossibly cute Pooh Bear little boy outfit, and one darling little pink embroidered dress, plus I know I have *some* (every time I sorted through the bins, I got rid of more clothes!) other relatively tiny things from dd and ds, so I think I'll be able to pull some stuff together. Pretty much everything I've purchased is either a onesie, soft t-shirt material type pants, or a gown. Tons of onesies, really, since I keep finding them at such great prices and conditions, and I figure in SC a baby isn't going to want or need too much more. I have *gobs* of receiving blankets in all kinds of prints - and colors - that I picked out & edged a few years ago when we got serious about ttcing again, so if I go with one of dd's or ds's outfits for pictures, I can change up the background with a blanket that only this LO will have used so I won't be confused years from now! Lol!

HappyMamaBeth, that little outfit is just precious! And baby legs are a great idea for the gowns & onesies... especially with A/C this summer. Think I might splurge a little, or break out my crocheting. Totally forgot about baby legs! :)

Really looking forward to going through what's been in storage for years and figuring out what else we need. And we're still not sure where we're having this baby, (planning a UC, or a birth center possibility has arisen, depending on where dh is when I go into labor) but at this point, God willing, it won't be in a hospital, so I'm also trying to decide if I think I can get some great pictures myself or if I want to try to get some professional pics.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Just bought a couple of gowns and hats biggrinbounce.gif

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:48 PM

We just do onesies, gowns, and sleepers depending on the weather. I'm big on comfort(no scratchy tags or appliques), and everything must be 100% cotton. Other than that, I keep it simple with newborn clothing since they can go through so many. Some of the brands we have are Gap, Children's Place, Old Navy, and Carters. I kind of like gowns for right after birth, just because they're so easy with diaper changes, no snaps to do/undo. The weather will probably be warm here by then, so once I'm up and around it'll most likely be onesies/socks most days.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM

We weren't planning anything super fancy. We were just going to do a cute little dress or onsie but at the shower this weekend my mom got us a super fancy dress with matching ruffle socks and fancy shoes. And if we don't use it, I'm afraid her world would crumble, so I'll be the one walking down the hall in maternity jeans and a t-shirt with a baby dressed to meet the queen.

Oh well, it's important to her and I don't really give two flips, so fancy dress it is. And it'll be a nice keep sake.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 AM

Oh crap, this kid is gonna need CLOTHES? (said with tongue in cheek, of course) nut.gif

the only clothing we're getting ahead of time (besides hand-me-downs and unexpected gifts) is some kimono shirts, a bunch of swaddling/receiving blankets, and some newborn cloth diapers (with perhaps a pack of 'sposies for the first meconium poos), plus the hats that come with our midwife's birth kit.

We don't know how big the babe will be or how much we'll feel like ECing at first (I'm told I won't be doing much of anything but snuggling, sleeping and BFing the first few days) - but the general idea is to avoid stuff that pulls over the head (large heads run in DP's family), and we're thinking that blankets + diapers and shirts will be sufficient for a May baby - swaddle swaddle swaddle, and hold! smile.gif

Maybe it's 'cause I'm a first time mom having a homebirth, and we don't know the gender... but we don't really see a need for fancy schmancy outfits (unless someone gifts us one, and even then...) does this make me strange?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

Oh crap, this kid is gonna need CLOTHES? (said with tongue in cheek, of course) nut.gif

Maybe it's 'cause I'm a first time mom having a homebirth, and we don't know the gender... but we don't really see a need for fancy schmancy outfits (unless someone gifts us one, and even then...) does this make me strange?

LOL!

You know I got some truly adorable, very schmancy fancy action from an unexpected baby shower the women at my church at the time had for us right after my daughter was born. (On a personal note, having a shower after the baby is born is a horrid idea - it was the last place I wanted to be, I didn't know many of the women there, and they all wanted to touch my baby... uh... NO! But of course I felt so obligated. And it was a lovely shower... but no one really asked me if I wanted it or how I would want it.) I was really grateful for the the thought and gifts, but there were a lot of "proper ladies" (of all ages) that gave us such fluffy stuff, and while I loved them, they were so complicated to wash, frequently not very soft, and generally over-the-top that I never put them on her. She was starting to outgrow the sizes, so ultimately I just staged a dress-up day for dd and I ... I dressed her up as in as many as she could stand, for as long as she was ok with it, took pictures of each, and that was it. Then she got right back in her soft cotton onesies and I gave most of that stuff away early on.

The one thing that was cool was that one clear headed proper kind of lady gave me a gorgeous dress in an 18-24 month size, and I actually managed to hold onto it and doll her up in it for her first pics with her baby brother. She loved it, she is SO girlie, and she looked great in it. And then I packed it up and that was that. Maybe if you got some super fluffy stuff you could exchange it for larger sizes?

Or better yet... stuff you actually need!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM

I have gender neutral clothes for most of that 0-3 mth age span so I'll probably use all of the clothes from my two girls- they were surprise gender as well so I do have a load of yellow/green type of stuff.  For my other two kiddos I mostly kept them in sleepers and the gowns for the first 6 weeks.  I would use the gowns at night as I found it so much easier to do night time diaper changes when I didn't have to get 20 snaps done in the correct order- LOL.  DD1 and DD2 were Sept babies so I didn't do a whole lot of onesies as the weather became wet/cold by the time they were 4 weeks or so.  Most of my layette stuff probably is Carter's but, to be honest, it has been very durable and worn well.  I'd love to do organic but 1) it's not in my current budget and 2) they are only in the 0-3 clothes for a super short period of time.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM

I have these two outfits in my cart at Old Navy waiting for Give and Get later this week.  

and

on811008-00vliv01.jpg

Not sure which one we'll go with - we'll probably take them both along and see which one we like better!  

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM

LacieD:

I have those pants and wanted you to know they shrink a lot. The 3-6 month ones shrunk down to more of a 0-3 month size after washing and drying. 

Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Ooh, good to know, thank you!  I'll grab both sizes just in case.  :)

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM

I just bought this in size three months: http://www.zulily.com/index.php/boys-bubble.html 

And this in size preemie: http://www.zulily.com/index.php/blue-257286.html 

Hoping that one of them will fit for the newborn pics I'd like to have taken and/or as a birthday outfit. I also think either would be appropriate for church and the wedding we are supposed to attend when he is a few weeks old.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM

We are using this hoodie set for her coming home outfit.

full.jpginter.jpginter.jpg

Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM

That is a really cute outfit.  I love Winnie the Pooh.  I just went through my bins and had to specifically make sure to choose "newborn" sized clothes for the coming home outfit.  I remember with DD1 that I had a 0-3 mth outfit thinking that was fine.  She was swimming in it and it was hilarious.  I love how they are still like a little frog with their legs all crinked up the first few weeks.

User Tag List