Chat Thread March 14-20 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 03-17-2011, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post

reelgeek, where did you get your gown? That is a good idea, I think I'd have been happier in a more comfy gown w/ Z, though I guess it wasn't on the top of my mind smile.gif

I got my gown at Macy's because I figured it would be the easiest place to see a lot of options in one spot. There are no Targets or other large stores in San Francisco other than Bloomingdales and other more expensive options. I totally love mine, I'll have to take a picture. 

#32 of 59 Old 03-17-2011, 02:44 PM

I love the Pretty Pushers gowns :)

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Tais-Labor-Delivery-Gown/dp/B003ZKOCHY/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

You can often find them on sale for 15-20 bucks online

#33 of 59 Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 PM

I had my 33 week appointment today.  Not my best one...everything is fine, just little things.  2 weeks ago, my midwife had to really work to find the head, but she was satisfied that babe was head down.  Her partner did my appointment today and had an equally tough time feeling around for head.  In the end, she wasn't certain enough to commit to saying which end is head and which is bum.  Rascally little baby!  I have had a couple of moments this week doubting what I'm feeling up at the top of my belly, so this was disconcerting.  I have my next appointment with her as well (my primary midwife is on vacation this month), so if there is still doubt we will do a quick ultrasound.  The up side is that the heart tones were very strong down low, which would lend some support to head down.  Here's hoping!

Baby's heart skipped a 3 or 4 beats while we were listening, which my midwife assures me is normal, it's just not something I've ever heard in my other babies so it made me a wee bit nervous.

And she asked to weigh me (I haven't been weighed since December!), which I would rather not do period...she just wanted to have a more recent weight on file for hospital records, for estimating drug doses etc.  I've gained less than I did at this point with DS2 (or 1, for that matter), so I guess that's something.

Anyway, everything is fine, I just am thinking back on it and feeling like I didn't come away with the floaty, happy feeling I normally do (which has nothing to do with the midwife, she's lovely).

#34 of 59 Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Bluepetals I think there's just something in the air.  All the crazy legislature political stuff looming the earth quake the tsunami all the alarmist out there the nuclear meltdown.. there has got to be something going on astrologically as well!

It kind of brings me to what I wanted to discuss... hope it's not too heavy.  What do you guys think?  Are we in danger of radiation?  Anymore than we already get?  I have some alarmist type friends on facebook posting all kinds of alarmist things about the radiation coming to the states even already arriving.  When I look into it most of it is shot down by what sees to be people who know what they are talking about.  Do you think the government would tell us if there were a real threat?  I don't see what they would gain by not telling us.  I wish I knew a source to go to that I knew I could trust.

Also are kitties really a problem with newborns?

#35 of 59 Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Mama_rich, my best friend is a Nuclear Health physicist. His entire job is assessing radiation risk and keeping people safe. There is nothing to worry about in the U.S. The media is having a field day and getting people all freaked out over something that, while horrible, is not a danger to us here, even for people in Hi.

I am reposting some of his blog posts here. Some of his language is a bit intense, but he's really frustrated right now by the bad information on the news.

This his more informative post:

If you do not live in northern Honshu, you do not have cause for panic. The radiation release from the reactor has been localized to the immediate vicinity. A downwind plume exposure pathway emergency planning zone (~10mi radius) as already been evacuated. A wider 50 mile radius will be drawn for confiscation of foodstuffs to minimize any potential ingestion of radioactive iodine & cesium.

1. Normal operations of a nuclear reactor involves the operation of air and water monitoring stations in the facility itself and area environmental monitors for many miles around. A tsunami is likely to have broken more than few of those, but many more mobile units were rushed to the scene. This is how we are keeping track of what has been/is being released to the surrounding area from the reactor.
  2. Radioactive materials are being released to the air in the form of radioactive steam and water. Dissolved metals in the water and small particulates are particularly prone to becoming activated and thus radioactive, especially without a functional cooling and filtration loop to clean the water up. The radioactivity is very short lived, in general on the order of minutes to about a week, but rather nasty while it is present.
  3. Reports have indicated the presence of small quantities radioiodine and radiocesium in monitoring. This indicates that some of the nuclear fuel cladding has been damaged due to overheating.
  4. Unless ordered by a medical professional, DO NOT self-administer prophylactic iodine or Prussian blue treatments to protect against radioiodine & radiocesium uptake. These treatments carry some significant metabolic risks at the body saturating doses necessary to offer protection.
  5. The symptoms of acute radiation sickness (ARS) begin with vomiting. There’s an awful lot of things that may cause vomiting in a disaster situation like this, not the least of which is stress and psychosomatic response. At this point we will segregate you and watch for further advancement of symptoms. At present, only one person who has presented with symptoms that has had an actual radioactive materials uptake; his dose was less the 1/10th the what is normally associated with associated with ARS.

This is his more recent one (slightly more irate, but still really good info I think):

Instead of several reactors venting steam/smoke, I would instead like you to imagine this area in Sendai covered with a grove of trees in area comparable to the nuclear power plants.

I would now like you to light it up, all the trees on fire. Look at the smoke. Now, go to your mapping software of choice and look at your position on Planet Earth relative to Sendai.

If you don't think you would see the smoke from a fire of this size (rather small) at your current location, then you no have reason to be concerned about the fallout because the atmospheric transport mechanisms are exactly the same. In fact, fallout of the radioactive materials of concern are a bit less of a worry because the elements and isotopes of highest concern tend to be rather dense and not travel well. To move it around the world by getting material to the high winds of the stratosphere, you have to have a very large and/or very energetic fire.

Of course, moving material to that height in the air column also means global dilution as you spread it everywhere. Other than the immediate reactor vicinity, no one place gets particularly crapped up.

So, think of your last wildfire, think how large it was and how far away, think how the winds blew and what you saw. Now, compare that with the size of the reactor complex.

With that, please go back to contemplating the horror of the two disasters that actually happened to Japan rather than the one people are working hard to prevent. The reason the reactors are such a pain in the butt to get under control right now is because it is taking Japan...JAPAN, people!!!...nearly a week to get emergency power supplied to the pumps for these reactors. That is how badly the earthquake and tsunami have fucked up the basic infrastructure of the area.

I'm pretty tired of explaining things to people that seem to want this to be catastrophic nuclear doom for the world.

me again: I hope that helps a little. I know that having an expert to talk to has been amazingly helpful for me. I have stopped watching the news entirely because it's so sensationalized that it's kind of blowing my mind.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#36 of 59 Old 03-18-2011, 05:01 AM

Especially since I'm in FL, I'm not worried about the nuclear risk. I don't think I'd be worried anyway. Although, part of me thinks about preparedness in general and I want to look into having an "emergency kit" with the products for preventing radiation exposure.

Had a fabulous appointment with our doula last night. She went over a lot of things with us about positioning, comfort measures during labor, etc. Then we talked for an hour and a half about almost everything LOL!

I feel *somewhat* ready for birth. I told her when I finish the Hypnobabies course I'll truly feel ready. She just got her Hypnobabies instructor certification, so when we finish the home course, she's gonna do a birth practice with us.

Happy Friday!! I'm so looking forward to this weekend!!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#37 of 59 Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 AM

This week has been super busy. We've had at least one thing going on every night this week. And today we are driving 5 hours to see my family and have our last baby shower. It'll be the last time I see my mom while I'm not a mom myself and that is much more emotionally powerful than I thought it would be.

I've had a lot of pubic bone pain this week. It's the worst when I get up from sitting for a long time. On Wednesday we had baby ed class and I had been sitting for an hour and when I got up I almost yelped. Are there stretches I can do to help or is just the new pressure of a low baby? I went on a walk yesterday to try and stretch everything out. I'm going to try to keep that up, even if it's only a 10 minute walk.

I've finally hit that place in pregnancy where it's hard to sleep. I just can't get comfortable and the pubic pain isn't helping. If I move in the night I get woken up by the pain and then I just am awake for at least 30 minutes.

I think that's mostly it. I won't be on until Monday. Hope you ladies have a great weekend!

#38 of 59 Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Sigh... I can't catch a break.

Just now, DD was rolling around on the couch and fell off. She didn't hurt herself, but her entire body weight took her knee into my foot. OUCH! OF COURSE it would be the foot I have tendonitis in... I haven't tried walking on it yet (happened about 30 minutes ago). This stinks.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#39 of 59 Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas...

I DO think there is something in the air/water/stars going on right now, I've definitely had a mercury in retrograde type of week where things don't seem to be moving forward or even staying the same, it's like NOTHING works!  In the midst of a merger at work, moving to a home office, getting all the tech set up and working with VPNs is just such a PAIN in the rear!!!

I've almost been glossing over the Japan thing - listening but trying not to think too hard about it because I'm certain I could just break down and weep endlessly about it thank you hormones.  I hope that doesn't sound crass and I'm definitely wishing the best to those that are there.

But anyway, It is warm and sunny and blue skyed in VT so I'll take it.  I'm done with work for the week and have just to go do some yoga and teach some yoga tonight.  Maybe I'll go out this afternoon and sit somewhere and have tea and work on a birth plan.

RE: PUBIC BONE PAIN.  OK yeah.  I haven't had back or hip pain but my bikini area bones are pulling apart and I guess that extra 30 lbs is putting pressure right there!!!  Very sore.  

Swimming has been good this week but even yoga puts strain there.  I try to support with some kegels.

Home stretch ladies!!!  It's beyond mid-march!  

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#40 of 59 Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 AM

re: hip and pubic bone pain - I find it's the worst when I'm sleeping and I have to get up - so bad I can barely walk when I stumble out of bed in the middle of the night to use the toilet... UGH!  Apparently I'm moaning and groaning in my sleep - probably because I'm so uncomfortable, but I was given some positions to use for sleep that are also beneficial for positioning the baby for birth, and those have helped a bit.

re:Japan - it's overwhelming and I don't believe half of what's said by news outlets anyway... everything is either oversensationalized or played down to avoid panic.. It may sound selfish, but there's not much good that can come from MY worrying about the situation, so while I'll send good vibes to my friends that are in Japan, and I'll take whatever preparations/precautions necessary to keep myself and my family safe, I guess I'm kind of "glossing over" the whole thing like annaconda said. 

I had my 33 week appt. with our midwife yesterday - I passed my 1hr glucose tolerance test with FLYING colors (late, I know, but I started official prenatal care late), and my bloodwork looks GREAT, the baby's a good size and in a good position - DP and I got to feel the butt, spine (the head is under too much other stuff - the midwife felt it, but she's used to using A LOT of pressure when palpating her mamas)

She told me that everything I eat at this point is just being sucked up and added to the baby (okay, that's oversimplification, but...)

she banned grains (no problem, actually a GOOD thing - I was an atkins-for-lifer who shifted to a more primal approach, but DP was always trying to get me to eat grains, and I totally craved multigrain bagels and bread in early pregnancy), told me to cut down on fat, even "healthy fat" (I'm going to miss olive oil and flax seed meal and my full-fat greek yogurt), and to watch portion sizes... oh, and sugar (which I don't eat much of anyway) is out too, other than occasional bits of super-dark chocolate.  I'm supposed to load up on the protein and veggies - which is my ideal way of eating anyway.

#41 of 59 Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Elonwy thank you so much for that.  Basically backed everything I was feeling for real!!  I have cleared all alarmist from my fb.  I do not choose fear!

RE: pubic bone.  I have gained almost 100% relief from the chiropractor.  I also visualized my baby lifting.  My mw in first pregnancy recommended not sitting indian style and taking inclines and declines side ways.

Excited my little guy comes home tonight.  I just scored 20 good condition diapers for $75!!  My shower is tomorrow and I am excited to go with my son and have some fun!!

#42 of 59 Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM

I had high HcG levels in my last round of blood tests which means I have to go for weekly updated checks to see if the baby is growing normally and if I have enough fluids. I had my first of these today (it was an ultrasound), I'm just over 32 weeks and everything was totally normal. The baby is about 4lbs right, head down in optimum position and all organs are formed as they should be. He's still a boy. :)

We got our baby room mostly together, I'm just waiting on some final touches before I snap some photos as I'm being all obsessive compulsive about it. I've been interviewing for my replacement for maternity leave and had some good candidates on phone screens, so I'm worrying less about how work will do when I'm out too.

We threw a little St. Patrick's Day party last night and I made a pile of yummy carby things I should not have eaten and had a Guinness and vanilla ice cream float. I am quite pleased with that. Haha.

#43 of 59 Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 AM

yum. I miss guinness. I can't have it since going gluten free 3 years ago :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

I had high HcG levels in my last round of blood tests which means I have to go for weekly updated checks to see if the baby is growing normally and if I have enough fluids. I had my first of these today (it was an ultrasound), I'm just over 32 weeks and everything was totally normal. The baby is about 4lbs right, head down in optimum position and all organs are formed as they should be. He's still a boy. :)

We got our baby room mostly together, I'm just waiting on some final touches before I snap some photos as I'm being all obsessive compulsive about it. I've been interviewing for my replacement for maternity leave and had some good candidates on phone screens, so I'm worrying less about how work will do when I'm out too.

We threw a little St. Patrick's Day party last night and I made a pile of yummy carby things I should not have eaten and had a Guinness and vanilla ice cream float. I am quite pleased with that. Haha.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#44 of 59 Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 AM

Mrs. Bone have you tried Green's gluten free beer? They have a dark beer that while not being guinness, is a nice frothy dark beer. They are a Belgian company, I have found them at specialty beverage stores and sometimes at Whole Foods.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#45 of 59 Old 03-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

Mrs. Bone have you tried Green's gluten free beer? They have a dark beer that while not being guinness, is a nice frothy dark beer. They are a Belgian company, I have found them at specialty beverage stores and sometimes at Whole Foods.

thanks for the tip! i am definitely going to try it when i find it.

all of a sudden the last two days i have been a bit more run down. bp up a little bit and yesterday noticed i was spilling huge amts of ketones again. no swelling though. i havent been able to eat enough healthy foods... the volume is too much. im getting less than 1000kcal a day right now.  like today i have had

2 eggs with cream, coffee with cream

carrots and hummus

fresh cut asst fruit

1 rib

small salad

and i am FULL

i am about to go to the store and buy some ice cream bc it's the only thing i can think of that is calorically dense and carby that i want to eat.

i love reading this thread. all of you ladies are pretty great.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#46 of 59 Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM

I'm sitting here watching march madness. I don't even like basketball, but DH is in bed with a stomach bug, and I don't have anything else better to do. I'm about to put the kids in bed and put on a movie for Mommy. Thinking about watching Pregnant In America, but not sure if my Bubble Of Peace is strong enough.

**A funny, thought I'd share with you since I've mentioned my overbearing, anti-crunch mom before (which BTW we did NOT go on our road trip today!). DH read the Bubble Of Peace script to me today, and in the middle of him reading it, I cracked up laughing. I couldn't help but imagine my mom getting whacked trying to cross the BOP... Now if it just works that well when she starts in on me next time. I think hanging up the phone would be the best option...

#47 of 59 Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I made a pile of yummy carby things I should not have eaten and had a Guinness and vanilla ice cream float. I am quite pleased with that. Haha.

Yummmmm!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#48 of 59 Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 PM

Argh. Vent required. I posted the photo I put up in the belly photo thread onto Facebook (http://www.reelgeek.com/flickr/5540298829/) and two people commented that I either had a fat butt or gained weight in my butt.

1. I have not gained weight there, I have always had bootie - I just normally don't post photos of me in my underwear.

2. Both people who said those things are heavier than I am.

3. Who tells someone who is pregnant they have a fat anything?

I nearly had a hormonal de-friending. My poor husband has been dealing with me ranting for the last hour on and off. I figured I'd give him a break by telling you ladies. :)

Thanks for 'listening'.

#49 of 59 Old 03-19-2011, 11:29 PM

huh.gif

1. Seriously, you don't even come close to fat.

2. Are they jealous much?

3. Also, RUDE!

I don't know these people, but I totally understand you being upset. That's just mean spirited. And again, you aren't even vaguely fat. I come from a long line of bootiefied women and it's amazing how jealous other women can get when you've got some nice proportion on you. Hrpmh.

#50 of 59 Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:

1. I have not gained weight there, I have always had bootie - I just normally don't post photos of me in my underwear.

yeahthat.gif  yup, put my in the "always HAVE had a bootie" club... it may have even gotten a little SMALLER with pregnancy because I've been eating really healthfully. 

I got "oh, you got FAT" from several acquaintances... several of whom have bigger bellies than I do (and they're not preggo)

or *knowing look* don't worry, your boobs will sag/stretchmarks will appear/butt and thighs will get HUGE/other "all knowing things"... (uh, no, actually, everyone's different, none of this stuff is DESTINED to happen just because I got knocked up.)

I'm constantly amazed by the crap people will say to a pregnant lady.

#51 of 59 Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 AM

reelgeek: that is f'ing ridiculous - you look absolutely fabulous!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#52 of 59 Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 AM

wtf?! that is just wrong. i think i would unfriend those people too if i had that experience. you seriously don't need people like that in your life, or at least not on facebook. :-/  omg, that really just sucks. it is not funny (if they thought they were being funny) by any stretch of the imagination. i hope you have deleted those comments anyway...

hugs. by the way, you look beautiful!!!

Quote:

Argh. Vent required. I posted the photo I put up in the belly photo thread onto Facebook (http://www.reelgeek.com/flickr/5540298829/) and two people commented that I either had a fat butt or gained weight in my butt.

I nearly had a hormonal de-friending. My poor husband has been dealing with me ranting for the last hour on and off. I figured I'd give him a break by telling you ladies. :)

Thanks for 'listening'.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#53 of 59 Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Wow, rude much!?  I agree, I would defriend them, too!  It might spare someone else the pain of their ignorance in the future if they learn a lesson from it. 

#54 of 59 Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone! You made me feel better and more sane. :)

I'm just going to chalk it up to some jerkiness on their end and ignore them, although if they have one more transgression, they're off my friends list. I made a snarky reply and they both said that they were joking, but it's not really a funny thing regardless.

#55 of 59 Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Pregnancy+Hormones+Idiots= a lot of de-friended or hidden people on facebook.  You look like a goddess to me!!  Imagine the world with no jealousy!

#56 of 59 Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_mich View Post

Pregnancy+Hormones+Idiots= a lot of de-friended or hidden people on facebook.  You look like a goddess to me!!  Imagine the world with no jealousy!

yeahthat.gif

I'm overweight, and I've accepted it. I'm working on it when I'm not knocked up. Two weeks ago (30.5 weeks) I was out in a rather baggy shirt, and a woman asked me if we were having more kids (in a nice tone, not that "So you're done, right?" attitude that makes me mad). I said, "Well, we'll have a third in June." The woman says, "Oh wow, you don't even look pregnant! Well, you're carrying it in your hips and thighs."jaw.gif I wanted to tell her, "No, I'm just fat."

When I got home and told DH, he said, "Well, he's (baby) got an arm on one hip, a leg on a thigh, and a few pieces of him packed into your armpits, and when you go into labor, all those pieces come together in your uterus and come out." He always knows how to make me laugh.

Seriously though, some people need a stronger brain/mouth filter when they're around pregnant women!

#57 of 59 Old 03-21-2011, 06:11 AM

LMAO becca!  Don't you wish you could turn back the clock and fire back your DH's response? :P  Or something like "yeah, my doctor is writing me up for being the only known case of having a uterus in my hips and thighs!"  Gosh, people are weird when it comes to commenting to pregnant women!  grr

#58 of 59 Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I posted a pic on FB and people started commenting on my boobs - it was like... ok folks - I know you ask for pregnant pics - but guess what - YOU DON'T DESERVE THEM if you can't keep your comments positive....

I mean they were meant in a positive way, but when someone says "I never thought your boobs could get any bigger" and someone else chimes in "wait till the milk comes in" it's like... that's enough!!!

We have decided at my house there are only three things you can say to a pregnant lady:

1) YOU LOOK GREAT

2) HOW ARE YOU FEELING?  (answer to be listened to... and don't reply WELL JUST WAIT TILL THE BABY GETS HERE at any cost)

3) HOW CAN I HELP?

That's it.  Stick to those and you'll have a pregnant friend for life.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#59 of 59 Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 AM

I have to personally disagree with "how are you feeling" (although I guess the disclaimer kind of helps)

If one more person asks how I'm feeling (with a knowing look or smug smirk)... or "do you know what it is?".... irked.gif

at this point my answers are "overstuffed" and "we're hoping for a crocodile," respectively.  (ask me if it's a boy or girl instead of what IT is, and you'll probably get a less snarky answer, unless you INSIST that we CAN'T not find out...)

I guess I should be thrilled that people are interested in what's going on in my life? eyesroll.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post
1) YOU LOOK GREAT

2) HOW ARE YOU FEELING?  (answer to be listened to... and don't reply WELL JUST WAIT TILL THE BABY GETS HERE at any cost)

3) HOW CAN I HELP?

That's it.  Stick to those and you'll have a pregnant friend for life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page