*sigh* I need to buy a plastic hunk of junk, apparently... (ISO good pack 'n' play) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

put this in the "they don't make things like they used to" category....

I'm looking for recommendations on a pack 'n' play/play yard type thing with a bassinet, with as little plastic as possible and no electronics.

Also, nothing frilly, lacy, or foufy.... just a basic (no bells and whistles), neutral dealy-do.

(why does this seem SO HARD to find!? irked.gif)

#2 of 31 Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 PM

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3687549

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#3 of 31 Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM

I think they may have improved the design of those since my dd was born (little over ten years ago) but just try to make sure that when it's opened up, if you're using the diaper changing bit, (if you get one with that available) that you are comfortable with the height of it.

We had a tiny apt when she was born (and we do again, as it turns out!) and were counting on the diaper changer bit to make it worth it w/o needing a separate changing table. However, the height of it (actually the lack thereof, and dh and I are NOT tall by any stretch) made it awkward and eventually painful for my back to use it. Not ergonomic for my size at all. I think they're taller than they used to be, but just something you might want to evaluate either before you spend the money at a store, or before your LO is there if you order it.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#4 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 05:50 AM

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4279439

This is similar to the one we bought 4 years ago. We don't use the "mobile", our model came with a music box that is removable and we just don't use it either. I like the basinette and the changing table. I'm not sure if I'm gonna set it up this time though, because DS is quite the climber, and I don't expect the LO to be napping in it much. We mostly use it as a changing table.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 AM

I bought a Graco Pack/Play with my first daughter.  I honestly never used the bassinet, changing table or mobile feature.  I just didn't feel the changing table was all that stable.  What worked better for us was to but the foam cushion for our actual changing table on our bed.  I don't have any complaints about the play yard itself.  I never used it all that much, mostly for when DD1 and DD2 had outgrown my mini co-sleeper and I needed a place for them to take a nap in a quiet room or to play in safely while I was taking a shower or just not able to supervise.

#6 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies joy.gif

Some good links and advice!  I don't really care about the changing station (we've got changing pad that will work on any flat-ish surface) - a bassinet or infant snuggler/carrier is nice though... the whole point of this apparatus (for us) is to have someplace to put the wee babe safely and comfortably next to our bed when we either can't or don't want to co-sleep (if we're SUPER exhausted, etc)... bonus that it's portable and can be taken to a friend or relative's place. thumb.gif

Sorry if my initial post came off as grouchy or snarky, I guess I'm just feeling tired and not ready for the baby to be here (and yet SO ready to be NOT pregnant anymore), and mass-produced baby products make me want to run away from my uterus (always have, probably always will)...

I fail to understand why Graco (or Babies R Us, or whoever's in charge of these things) can't name their models (ie, the "Joey" had a bassinet, mobile and changing station, the "Roo" has just a bassinet, etc.) instead of just being called "Graco Play Yard" and having the color/pattern name... it makes it a lot harder to find the features I want or don't want. *sigh*

#7 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 08:33 AM

I've used an eddie baur (cannot remember spelling) and a Graco with a bassinet before. I found the graco one was actually nicer and less expensive. I had sold it when I moved and actually am stuck with my eddie one that is starting to wear out but oh well, it'll still work. 

Yeah, shopping seems to be more and more complicated. It can take me hours to decide on different things and hubby thinks I nuts. LOL 

But, almost every time I make an impulse choice, I end up regretting it. Better to read reviews and carefully make my decision.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#8 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM

You don't need to apologize to US for being grouchy.  twins.gif  hug2.gif  I think lots of us are reaching that point!  I am so thankful to be having my sweet baby, but I'd be telling a big fat lie if I said I wasn't uncomfortable and grumpy these days.

And honestly I had trouble finding the Pack'n'Play I wanted too.  I had a very simple one with my kids but I have since passed it on to my sister.  I'm sure she would give it back to me but she lives 1200 miles away so it's really not practical.  I ended up getting one with a changing table (which we may or may not use, only time will tell) and a newborn napper (or something like that).  I figured that might be handy in the early days, as my kids always slept better at a slight incline (rather than completely flat).  If all else fails, I will take the newborn napper and changing table off and it has the "bassinet" feature (the floor of the pack'n'play is basically raised up to a reachable height).  I already have that bad boy assembled and pulled right up to my side of the bed.  Now all I need is the baby! ;)

Beth

#9 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

my crabbiness is irritating ME... which makes me grouchier, which further irritates me, which.... you see where I'm going here. banghead.gif

I WISH I could say is "All I need is the baby!"

Fact of the matter is, I don't have ANYthing except a few blankets yet. I don't know why I find all this picking of products to be so difficult... probably because if it's a piece of crap, I'm not going to be happy... I wish MY playpen hadn't gotten old and disintegrated, otherwise I'd surely use THAT... metal legs, meshy siding... probably some plastic in the sides/bottom for diaper blowout purposes, but... the plastic in the construction of EVERYthing these days is frustrating, and the overly "cute" nature of baby products puke.gif... ugh. I feel like a scrooge when I look at frilly lacy things and say "HUMBUG!" and want to RUN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMamaBeth View Post

You don't need to apologize to US for being grouchy.  twins.gif  hug2.gif  I think lots of us are reaching that point! 

Now all I need is the baby! ;)

awakenedheart likes this.
#10 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

my crabbiness is irritating ME... which makes me grouchier, which further irritates me, which.... you see where I'm going here. banghead.gif

Fact of the matter is, I don't have ANYthing except a few blankets yet. I don't know why I find all this picking of products to be so difficult... probably because if it's a piece of crap, I'm not going to be happy... I wish MY playpen hadn't gotten old and disintegrated, otherwise I'd surely use THAT... metal legs, meshy siding... probably some plastic in the sides/bottom for diaper blowout purposes, but... the plastic in the construction of EVERYthing these days is frustrating, and the overly "cute" nature of baby products puke.gif... ugh. I feel like a scrooge when I look at frilly lacy things and say "HUMBUG!" and want to RUN.

I understand!  And if it makes you feel any better, it was just within the last week or two that I got the things I "need."  I figured I needed to have a carseat to bring baby home and a place for baby to sleep.  I know a lot of people cosleep but I typically don't feel comfortable with that until my babies are a little more bigger/stronger, so the pack'n'play with the newborn thing in the top has worked well for me in the past.

I have some blankets and some clothes and some diapers, so I should be good to go.  And I still have 6-10 weeks to go LOL.  I would be content to sleep for a few of those weeks, but my 8 and 5 year old don't seem to think that's the best idea. ;)

Beth

#11 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 PM

we used a graco pack n play last time around, next to our bed....it worked out fine.

My friend is lending me an Arms Reach Co Sleeper Mini for this one, and I'm pretty excited about it. It's portable, and smaller than the PnP. Also, I like that it can sidecar the bed so I won't have to move him so much to nurse during the night if I don't want him quite in our bed (or if the 2 yo decides HE needs to be in the bed, which is probable, and we have a Queen bed)

So maybe you want to look into that.

I also like that it's not made by one of the main BuyOurBabyStuff brands.

#12 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not in this DDC, but the arms reach Co-sleeper can be all of those things (I am pretty sure....) and it is just about as basic as they come.

Get the full size of course.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#13 of 31 Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 PM

I hope ya'll still repy on this thread since it is very relevent and causing me some anxiety.  My awesome ex lost all the hardware to the crib he insisted he keep in the split.  I looked into order the hardware and it is almost $100 said and done.  My local cloth diaper store had an arms reach for sale for $50.  I picked it up today and get to check it out before I decide on it.  Here are my pros and cons please send some input too:

Pro

It takes up less space than crib would.

It is also a pack n play.  I throw a music festival every year and pretty much live on site camping for a week or so. I will need a pack n play for this.

I plan on co-sleeping with baby anyway and feel this will be a safer option with 3 yo , me and newbie in bed.  Also my 3 yo is a bed hog who has to have as much of him touching me as possible.  I am enjoying the idea of being able to keep a little space for myself instead of being sandwiched between them. 

Con

It is so plasticky!  I don't have it set up all the way and I'm guessing with sheets and blankets it loses its plasticness some?

I am honestly worried where I will put my cell phone, water etc if this is where a nightstand normally is.  I know I can put these things on the other side of the bed.  I just get out of bed b4 my 3 yo for showering and stuff I wouldn't want the alarm to wake him...

Seems like a pain for getting up to go to the bathroom.... but I will have to go much less frequently and get to stay in bed each time baby wants to nurse!

I wonder is it safe for napping?  I mean for baby to sleep in when I'm not in bed too in co sleeper position?

I am single and I do have to consider that I may wind up dating at some point in my life again.  I would love to be held and cuddled but this would require us to be in the baby's space.  Obviously I don't plan on just having any tom dick or harry but this will make even a night of cuddles a huge deal I think.  Even with someone we have spent a lot of time getting to know.  I think this is also a pro!  I tend to jump right in...this will help me keep it real slow!!

I really like how small it is!

#14 of 31 Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 AM

You should look into a Moses basket if you wanted something portable and smaller and not plastic...BUT it won't be as high as a bed unless your bed is on the floor.  An Arm's Reach was going to be my second suggestion. 

We have a Graco play yard with bassinet attachment that we've had since my first was born...the only problem is the main board that you put at the bottom of the play yard or for the bottom of the bassinet is getting all bent out of shape as we have used it a lot...otherwise it's basic with not all that much plastic and works great.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#15 of 31 Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 AM

I, too, wish there were affordable non-plasticky options.If I were wealthy and could kick my frugal nature to the curb, I'd totally get this. Unfortunately, though, I'll probably end up going for something like this.

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#16 of 31 Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

if money were REALLY no object, I'd have some craftsman build me a custom piece from an awesome hard wood... but....

I'm not even buying a carseat, because it's a piece of plastic I'd like to put off for as long as possible... and I don't have a car, nor do I travel in one very often - it's all subway and walking for me!

Does anyone know if the co-sleeper will adjust for a really low bed?  we have this bed, and our mattress sits right around the height of the frame, which is only about a foot off the ground... I think most things that are meant to attach to a bed are meant for higher beds.

Oh, and Almamiel - that modern bassinet looks... interesting... but, yeah, I think even if I DID have unlimited $$, I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much for it!  The graco one you linked to is more like what I've been seeing... WAY too many bells and whistles for my tastes (which is why I started the whole thread)... we just can't win, can we!?

#17 of 31 Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm not sure if this is too plastic or not, but we're getting this Phil and Ted's traveler cot for beside our bed and to bring around to friends houses and when we travel as our hotel baby bed. The mattress is inflatable, so makes for easy portability.

http://philandteds.com/productsus/sleepus/travellerus

It's got a 'mosquito' top next that is also a cat guard which we wanted because of our lovely kitty. :)

#18 of 31 Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

oooh, realgeek, I kind of like that!  I'm not sure if it fits our needs for this, but I like!

#19 of 31 Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 PM

I can totally relate PunkElmo!  This whole baby registry ordeal I'd have to say has been the hardest thing about this pregnancy besides the emotional/hormonal issues.  I don't understand how people can just buy things without researching where they came from, what they're made out of, how the corporations that made them treat their workers, animals used/or tested on, and the pollution to our earth.  I want to set a good example as a mama to teach my child to care about where their things come from, & their impact on our delicate planet.  To be mindful of our use of limited resources, since that WILL effect them later on in their lives.  Keeping all these things in mind when choosing items to buy or put on your registry, has made it pretty challenging finding things that are affordable.  Its definetely worth it though, since there are so many things that have chemicals & toxins in them, not just baby gear but the food us Mamas put into our bodies & theirs, so its a no brainer to me to, at the very least,  buy the items with the least amount of crap, that are organic & cruelty-free!  Good luck on your search!

Quote:

#20 of 31 Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenedheart View Post
buy the items with the least amount of crap, that are organic & cruelty-free!  

I agree, though I can only do so much. Just too poor to buy too much of the good stuff. Wish I were "rich" enough to buy everything that way though. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#21 of 31 Old 03-19-2011, 07:08 AM

I find that the best way to buy items that are better for the planet, while still saving money is to buy used. Yes, they may not be as natural and organic as you'd like, but buying used keeps a brand new item out of the landfill. Plus, babies go through stuff so fast, it seems silly to me to buy things brand new(except we did buy baby's bedroom furniture brand new because it's going to grow with her. It turns into a toddler bed then a full bed, so I figured that's a worthwhile investment). But yeah, all the plastic stuff makes me want to vom.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#22 of 31 Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

every time I think a thought like this... I remind myself of women in 3rd world countries who don't have much of ANYthing, and still seem to make it work with 2-3+ kids. shy.gif

It's humbling really - all a baby REALLY needs is love, nourishment and protection (clothing/shelter).  Sometimes it's really difficult to step back from popular culture, see what a babe REALLY needs, and simplify. (wear your baby, let it sleep in your bed, exclusively breastfeed, etc. etc. - it all helps to avoid weird plastic/chemical laden products... unfortunately, if you use a car, you're pretty much relegated to having a plastic-ful car seat - UGH)

That being said, we're still probably getting a pack 'n' play type thing... hypocritical? maybe.... that's why I'm looking for a better option to suit our wants (not needs, wants). smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I agree, though I can only do so much. Just too poor to buy too much of the good stuff. Wish I were "rich" enough to buy everything that way though. 

#23 of 31 Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Another option is to sidecar your crib up to your bed...then there is no need for a playpen.  You can just buy a wooden crib with an organic mattress...and then when you want to move baby to their own room you can just move the crib as well.

#24 of 31 Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

right, but then I don't have a portable sleep/play spot for the wee one, which is half the fun of a pack 'n' play....

baby's probably not getting their own room until they're out of a crib... unless the kid takes over the living room, which is ENTIRELY possible lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post

Another option is to sidecar your crib up to your bed...then there is no need for a playpen.  You can just buy a wooden crib with an organic mattress...and then when you want to move baby to their own room you can just move the crib as well.

#25 of 31 Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:

right, but then I don't have a portable sleep/play spot for the wee one, which is half the fun of a pack 'n' play....

baby's probably not getting their own room until they're out of a crib... unless the kid takes over the living room, which is ENTIRELY possible lol.gif

With my first our pnp stayed right next to my bed for the first 6 months and then went into a closet when baby went to their own room...I honestly either wear baby for naps when little or just lay them on the couch while I do whatever needs doing...I never used the pnp for a playing area...they just used the floorsmile.gif

#26 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 AM

I agree Mrs Bone.  I always try to buy used 1st.  Mainly the registry I have is for family members who aren't fortunate to live in cities that have amazing thrift stores/2nd hand stores, and still want to contribute to our new lil family.  I'm so lucky to have so many reuse stores, it makes it super easy to live by the whole Reduce, Reuse, Recycle way of life.  

#27 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 AM

Don't know if this helps or not, but the Arm's Reach is not "plasticy" at all when set up. The support parts are metal and only the joints and feet are plastic. The joints all around the top are covered by the bassinet insert fabric. So when you've got a pad and sheet in there, it's pretty nice. My friend has one that actually has a drapey cotton slipcover thing, which makes it look super plush.  Also, we did use it to create a bug-free play/nap zone while camping, with a bug net thrown over top. That was really useful.

We spent months looking for a used one when we were expecting DD and ended up buying new. Every time one showed up on Craigslist or wherever, it was gone in seconds. At least we know we'll be able to sell it for a good price when we're done with it!

And I've reached the grouchy point too- I am now grouchy that the co-sleeper has not been assembled yet. The plan is to set it up in our room and put the home birth supplies on it, so everything is all together in an accessible spot. OTOH, it's a couple weeks too early for a HB for us, so I should cut hubby some slack on that. blush.gif

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#28 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenedheart View Post
it makes it super easy to live by the whole Reduce, Reuse, Recycle way of life.  

thumbsup.gif  unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of baby stuff at the secondhand stores in NYC... I think most of it ends up in the trash.  I know I could have QUITE the baby arsenal if I just went "dumpster diving" on the Upper East Side, but I'm not sure how I feel about picking stuff out of the trash, and I think most of what's there is strollers and car seats, neither of which I want. (le sigh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenAnanas View Post

Don't know if this helps or not, but the Arm's Reach is not "plasticy" at all when set up.

That IS good to know -  I don't think the Arm's Reach will adjust as low as my bed is (about 12" off the ground)... I'll have to look into that. smile.gif

#29 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM

I was looking at the basic Graco pack n' play (the one that's around $65), because it gets great reviews and is super simple. The main drawback I can see is it only supports up to 15 lbs for the bassinet, and what if my baby hits that early? I was hoping to use it as a bassinet until at least four months or so, and then switch to a mini-crib (small apartment).

I thought about the Arms Reach, but they are so much more expensive, and my cousin said they are a PIA on a couple of fronts: one, with it attached to your bed it is really difficult to get in and out of bed, and also they don't always match up to the mattress height-wise; and two, she found it more trouble than it was worth to convert to a pack n' play.

This is what I ended up registering for: the Graco Travel LIte crib. I saw one in a consignment store (missing the bassinet part, sadly), and it's not super tiny, just trim. That is, it seems like it would be plenty big for a baby to sleep in for several months, and it will fit way better in our apartment. The big advantage, though, is that it has two bassinet settings: one that's higher up and holds up to 15 lbs, and another one that's lower and holds up to 20 lbs, so you can use it a lot longer. After the bassinet is outgrown, it's just a small pack n' play that can still be used for travel sleeping. It will fit much better beside our bed than a full-sized pack n' play, and last longer than a cradle or bassinet.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3609375

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#30 of 31 Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, yes, simple and trim, I like it!  

However, I think, after much research, I've decided I hate canopies too. (lol?)...

Also, FYI, for anyone who's been following... my bed is 12" off the ground - I can't use the arms reach, I finally got the official answer on that looked up... it's 24" and it's possible to adjust UP for higher beds, but they say nothing about lower beds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
This is what I ended up registering for: the Graco Travel LIte crib. I saw one in a consignment store (missing the bassinet part, sadly), and it's not super tiny, just trim. That is, it seems like it would be plenty big for a baby to sleep in for several months, and it will fit way better in our apartment. The big advantage, though, is that it has two bassinet settings: one that's higher up and holds up to 15 lbs, and another one that's lower and holds up to 20 lbs, so you can use it a lot longer. After the bassinet is outgrown, it's just a small pack n' play that can still be used for travel sleeping. It will fit much better beside our bed than a full-sized pack n' play, and last longer than a cradle or bassinet.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3609375

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page