Anyone else with swollen ankles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, for the past few days my ankles have been swelling up like elephants! greensad.gif  It started two weekends ago, but I thought it was just because we ate out a couple times that weekend and I'm sure the salt intake was higher than normal.  But now, it seems pretty consistant.  I work at a computer 8hours a day, so my feet aren't really elevated until I get off work and can take some time to relax.  Pretty unsightly..and worrisome too..just hope it's not beginning stages of preeclampsia or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Mine have started to swell over the course of the last week... They aren't bad, but I definitely notice that my ankle bones don't stick out like they used to... I think we're just getting to that point in the pregnancy, sadly.  It does make the end seem closer/more real, though!

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#3 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 PM

You might consider increasing your protein intake. My midwife has me eating between 80-100g of protein/day!! It's a ton, but I haven't had swollen ankles, except on days that I am not diligent about eating protein at every meal and snack. She claims it really helps and she rarely sees pre-eclampsia.

Good luck!

#4 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM

I get swelling in feet and ankles starting in second trimester, every pregnancy.  For me, it seems more about carbs than protein (although if you up your protein, you are naturally going to have less room for carbs)...so if I eat sweets, for example, watch out...there will still be residual puffiness the next morning.  Drinking tons of water seems to help.  I also had HUGE relief from having osteopathic treatment on my legs a few weeks ago...it didn't last between appointments, but I had a good week of pretty much no swelling, and another week of big improvement...then it slipped back to the norm.  I just got home from another appointment so I am looking forward to being shocked by my skinny legs and feet in the morning ;)

#5 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 03:29 PM

My midwife told me that swelling was pretty normal and not to worry about it unless it pits or doesn't go away after resting with your feet up. I have been having it off an on since 2nd trimester. 

She also said that one of the reasons our bodies retain so much water, especially towards the end, is that our vascular system is gearing up in case of large amounts of blood loss, so it can dump all those fluids in and keep us hydrated during a rough birth. Thought that was pretty neat.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#6 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolla143 View Post

You might consider increasing your protein intake. My midwife has me eating between 80-100g of protein/day!! It's a ton, but I haven't had swollen ankles, except on days that I am not diligent about eating protein at every meal and snack. She claims it really helps and she rarely sees pre-eclampsia.

Good luck!

yeahthat.gif

Check out www.blueribbonbaby.org for some reading about avoiding pre-eclampsia with diet... and the diet (it's Dr. Brewer's).

That having been said, while I do notice some changes based on diet, since about 2-3 weeks ago if I'm either on my feet all day OR not getting a lot of movement (clearly need to find a balance) my ankles do get a bit puffy by the end of the day. My dh is a truck driver, and he has to wear compression socks due to sitting all day if he doesn't get a chance to exercise, and he's not even a little bit overweight. So it seems like its probably mostly related to having to sit all day. Any chance you can get in even a short walk at lunch or breaks, or maybe sit with one foot up, or even one foot on a small stool and then swap feet off and on throughout the day?

Maybe with the baby getting bigger and affecting some of your bloodflow as you're sitting, it's just getting harder for your body to get the return pumping through your calves going. I've also read (as we look for ways for dh to avoid damaging his lower vascular region any worse) that doing calf raises even while you're sitting down will make a difference - flexing and relaxing your calves while you're sitting there.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#7 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM

If I sit at the computer normally (feet on the floor) then after a half hour to an hour, I notice swelling. If I need to do something on the computer for an extended period of time, I put a chair next to my desk and prop my legs up on there and that makes a big difference. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#8 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Another random thought - maybe sitting on of the big birth/exercise balls would help? You could bounce easier and possibly it would put less pressure on your thighs, knees and booty to promote better circulation?

#9 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 AM

wish I could use a birth ball to sit on at work!  Apparently it looks 'unprofessional', so my request got nixed.

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#10 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalynsky View Post

wish I could use a birth ball to sit on at work!  Apparently it looks 'unprofessional', so my request got nixed.

Is it professional to look like you have elephant legs? Dumb people...

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#11 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalynsky View Post

Seriously?? You'd think that would go towards cutting sick time loss or health care costs or something... :(

#12 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Last night was a first for me.  We had a busy day with lots of errands and then went out on the town to eat for my b-day.  When I got home, my ankles, feet, all the way up to my knees had swollen so much that I had huge indentions where the band of my sock was as if they had been super tight.  Crazy! 

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page