weight gain! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so, I had my midwife appointment today and I have gained 6 lbs since my last appointment 3 weeks ago. Does that sound like alot? I'm 33 weeks 2 days. If I keep gaining at that rate I'll have gained 33 lbs total by my due date. I'm at a 20 lb gain right now. I've always heard that you gain the most in the last few weeks. Is that true? I only gained 29 lbs total with DS. I'm not really worried about it, I'm just trying to see how much everyone else has gained, and if it's comparable.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Unless you are showing signs of fluid retention that weight gain doesn't sound bad at all.  I've read that babies undergo big growth spurts at this point.  I have been on a 1lb a week gain for a while now and that puts me at about 18lbs gained so far.  With DD1 and DD2 I gained a total of about 24 lbs.  I am slightly ahead of where I was with them but I chalk that up to being preggo in the winter vs the summer where I was far more active than I've been recently.  It sounds like you were of normal weight prior to pregnancy so your number doesn't sound off at all. 

Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 PM

that doesn't sound excessive.  i had gained quite a bit at my last appt as well.  i've gained 26 pounds so far.  gained 40 total with dd.  i'm guessing i won't gain that much this time.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM

I've gained 31 pounds (at 32 weeks) and my midwives don't seem concerned, even though their guidelines say I should gain 25-35 lbs. I'm pretty active and my eating habits aren't awful. I think my body/my baby just needed me to pack on some pounds. I've had trouble putting weight on in the past, so it's kind of fun to me. Is that strange?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM

DDCC to say that I put on 16 lbs in the last month of my last pregnancy. The good news is that I lost 30 lbs within 26 hours of dd's birth, so that last month is pretty much fluid retention, not fat.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 PM

I think I've gained about 30 lbs so far.  I haven't kept track of the weekly gain & only weigh myself right before my mw comes over for a visit.  Honestly & regrettably, I have no idea what I started at!  So I won't really have a good reference point for future pregnancies. 

ETA I've remained active & have been eating fairly well, so whenever I worry about the amount of weight (i.e. why do my thighs need it?!) I just eat more live/fresh foods to feel better about it. eyesroll.gif

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM

I've gained around 16 I think so far? I gained 20 total w/ Z, the bulk was really between 24-30wks, oddly enough. I gained still in the third, but only 5 lbs or so. So I am following a very similar curve. I started out this pregnancy a bit lower, so I won't be too surprised if I gain a bit more (I was 10lbs less when they started tracking, I think because being pregnant AND nursing AND having morning sickness I was losing weight)

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Up until 28 weeks I had gained 12lbs but then at week 29 I was diagnosed with GD so I had to start really watching what I am eating. So because of that, I have lost 7lbs since my last weigh in which was last week. I only gained 5lbs up to date. According to my OB because I am overweight I shouldn't worry and that being overweight I shouldn't have to gain an ounce in this whole pregnancy. I don't entirely trust my OB because I am not a big fan of her's but as long as she tells me I am not harming my baby then I guess this is a good thing. She also said that once the baby comes out you lose around 25lbs...so at this rate, I am going to be skinnier then when I got pregnant.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Mom View Post

I've gained 31 pounds (at 32 weeks) and my midwives don't seem concerned, even though their guidelines say I should gain 25-35 lbs. I'm pretty active and my eating habits aren't awful. I think my body/my baby just needed me to pack on some pounds. I've had trouble putting weight on in the past, so it's kind of fun to me. Is that strange?

I don't call that strange, I call it darn lucky! ;) That's happy that you're having fun with it and not struggling to gain the weight you both need through this time!

Well. I'm here to help you all feel better, apparently, for those of you hoping not to gain too much or that you haven't already done so...

I'm 30 wks tomorrow (Oh Holy COW!!! Saying that is crazy!) and I've gained *at least* 37 pounds. (feel free to go look at my 28.5 wk pics in the belly photo thread and have a good laugh at this juncture - I had gained all 37 before those pics) (duh, or just look at my profile pic) According to the same scale I'd used all last summer, I was 160 when I got pg, which for me, with the work I was doing outside all summer in the garden and eating really well, was a great weight. I was wearing things that made me happy and very happy with how I looked from all angles, LOL, so that was good. But right before I found out I was pg (I wasn't expecting to be... just thrilled when it happened) my appetite kicked in with a vengeance. It stayed that way til January or so? And then calmed down until two weeks ago? Now once again, I have to eat every couple of hours. I don't eat a tons, I can't cause my belly is squished, and I'm eating good foods, nothing pointless, but I HAVE to eat. And this week I started waking up at night (every 3-4 hours) desperate for food and water too. I have to eat a cheese stick or yogurt or ... something, or I'm too hungry to go back to sleep.

In fact, between my MW prenatal and my OB "risk assesment" that happened 2 wks ago and two days apart, I'd gained a pound between them. So that 37 pound gain was 2 wks ago. It could be a big difference between the scale I had in CO vs. my MW's scale here... or I could just be huge.

I gained about forty with both of my other two, so I'm going with "just huge". My mw isn't worried - in fact she really couldn't believe how much I weighed so I guess I'm fairly dense? lol.gif

Even weirder to me... I had my daughter when I was right at 180, and I felt worse then than I do now at this weight. I believe that's because my nutrition is at a much better level - and has been for a couple of years - this pg than with hers. And now I'm hungry.

ETA: cause I'm scatterbrained and can't read the calendar.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 PM

I have gained about 25lbs and am 29w... I have gained literally most all of that in the last 2 months.. I lost weight in the begining and then started packing on the pounds

which is typical for me. Given my history I am expecting to gain about 10 more pounds before the baby is born... I usually stop gaining around 35w.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm with you, mama!  Had only gained 13 or 14 lbs at 29 weeks and have gained 4 or 5 lbs in the last 3 weeks. (and I'm not eating more; if anything my appetite has decreased...perhaps with the increase in heartburn;)  I gained 40 and 35 lbs with my previous two; and don't think I'll be at that with this one...but you never know if this trend continues.  I definitely wouldn't be concerned!

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:23 PM

I've gained about 30 lbs already with 10 weeks to go provided the baby isn 't that late. I will know for sure tomorrow as I have a Dr appt. in the morning.

I gained about 40 with Dylan and a bit over 60 with Ava so I wasn't expecting to stay thin. I just wish I didn't gain so much weight in my butt!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Honestly....weight is soooo different for every mama!!! 

With DD..I lost 15lbs in the first trimester.  Then I gained that 15lbs..plus another 15...for a total net gain of 15 (or 30 depending on how you want to look at it?).

This time...I lost 11 lbs in the first trimester....gained the 11 I lost...and since then I've gained about 6 lbs (or 17, again, depending on how you look at it!).

For every mama it is totally different. I am betting I will still end up gaining more weight these last 7 weeks...but I'll still probably only have a total net gain of 20lbs or less.  It really doesn't matter in my opinion!  We just have to make good healthy food choices and eat the way our appetite is telling us to! :)

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

User Tag List