Baby shower faux-pas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel really bad...I got a bunch of diapers for gifts and then slipped and mentioned how I plan to cloth diaper (I thought they were newborn size and said oh great this will work for the meconium stage before I start cloth, thank you!). Then I realized they were size 2. So several mommas offered to return the diapers and get me something else. Ahh I wish I had kept my trap shut and just donated them. I hope they weren't offended and think that I'm ungrateful or persnickety. 

One mama is an environmental engineer and said that sposies are better for the environment. I was surprised by that considering the studies I've read. 

Wife to DH, mommy to DS(4/23/08) and 3rdtri.gifdue in May!selectivevax.gifcd.gif
#2 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 07:04 PM

I stated very clearly on my invite not to bring disposable diapers, but I am dreading how to deal with it if someone does. I would not be too concerned, these things happen.

As far as the whole which is more environmentally friendly thing, she is probably referencing a study that looked at diapering services and concluded that cloth diapering was less environmentally friendly because they wash the diapers like 7 times which results in a huge usage of water and energy. The study did not look at people who cloth diaper and wash their diapers at home (which you don't need to wash 7 times, cause it's going back on the same kid).

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#3 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM

I received sposies at my shower as well and just held on to them.  When at home I 100% cloth diapered my girls but on vacations I would use sposies as it really isn't convenient to use cloth on vaca unless it your own vaca home or you are with like minded people.  I find traveling with a baby means lugging so much stuff that to then lug a cloth diaper stash and have to search for a laundromat... well.. wasn't worth it.  I really dislike sposies and would always look forward to getting back to that cloth diaper booty.

As for the reference, I agree that your friend is probably referencing a much quoted study that compared sposies to diaper services.  They wash the diapers many, many times and use a lot of bleach to kill bacteria.  They then factored in things like the fuel to transport the cloth dipes.  I never used a cloth service myself.

#4 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

I stated very clearly on my invite not to bring disposable diapers, but I am dreading how to deal with it if someone does. I would not be too concerned, these things happen.

As far as the whole which is more environmentally friendly thing, she is probably referencing a study that looked at diapering services and concluded that cloth diapering was less environmentally friendly because they wash the diapers like 7 times which results in a huge usage of water and energy. The study did not look at people who cloth diaper and wash their diapers at home (which you don't need to wash 7 times, cause it's going back on the same kid).

Yeah, that study also didn't look at the impact of CREATING the disposables diapers and the sheer amount of massive waste that produces... It was extremely, extremely selective and biased when doing it's "research" and someone with an environmental science degree should know better, otherwise she REALLY needs to go back to school!!

Coincidentally that study was funded by the sposie industry. ;)

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#5 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 PM

I think the environmental engineer was trying to make herself feel better.  Besides being better for the environment cloth is safer for your little ones.  Thats the big piece for me.

So I got home a couple of hours ago from my shower.  I am nauscious, can't breathe, have a head ache from hell, my sinuses are simply effed, my eye balls are itchy and falling out of my head from an allergy attack.  People were smoking inside!! I didn't realize how bad it was till I got home.  My son and I just reek of smoke.  I have dread locks and I wonder if I will ever get it out.  It was an open shower both men and women thrown by my couple friends who are also expecting.  I asked him twice to stop smoking and then had to say something to her too... no body stopped.  I feel really bad for complaining but really!  I really do feel like a bitch for complaining.  But I am sick from my shower?  I did get the Bum Genius diaper sprayer though!!  The games were real fun too.  I'll just get back to feeling gratitude instead of sick!!

#6 of 10 Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i can't believe you stuck it out for so long...i 100% would have left no matter whether or not it was my shower! people are idiots...smoking indoors? sheesh...

mama to 8 year old haye  and 3 year old zao

#7 of 10 Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Yeah I wish I realized how bad it was.  My son and I woke up sounding like we each smoked a pack!!  I feel like a bad mama for not leaving.  I just didn't know it was so bad till we were out of there.  Thankfully my son did a lot of playing outside too!

#8 of 10 Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh that's awful. I can't believe people would smoke around pregnant women. My in laws smoke but they always go outside.

Wife to DH, mommy to DS(4/23/08) and 3rdtri.gifdue in May!selectivevax.gifcd.gif
#9 of 10 Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM

For the OP:

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think your faux-pas was really all that bad. :) The kind of folks who bring diapers as gifts to showers are interested, IMO, in getting you something that will truly be useful to you, so I wouldn't think they'd mind taking them back as long as it resulted in you getting something you really need and want.

Plus, I don't know about you, but I often forget how people are kind of willing to give pregnant women a free pass for lots of stuff. Not that I think what you said was really that bad or anything, but idk, it's hard to hate on a big, round bellied beautiful mama to be. :)

WriterMom2be likes this.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#10 of 10 Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Could be worse... My grandma mentioned off-hand to my mom that she's planning on getting us a year supply of diapers.  Luckily my mom jumped on that and explained the whole cloth diapering thing.  So even though she doesn't quite understand why we'd *want* to cloth diaper, I don't have to worry about what might be showing up at my door anymore. 

I agree, you didn't say anything too awful - and even size 2, if you just use them for the occasional outing, or if you have someone babysitting who isn't comfortable with cloth, you'll probably go through them.  If not, go ahead and donate - there are plenty of places that LOVE getting diapers donated.

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page