Mothering Forum banner

Chat thread 3/21-3/27

1K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  mama_mich 
#1 ·
Chat away :)

#2 ·
Visit today with OB's partner (the midwife, not the anti-VBAC doc). Baby looks fine, probably head down, very low (didn't have to tell me or my pubic bone that one).

Found a car seat I like better than the first one I picked out. Also found some dressers that we're gonna get for our room and give the baby our old dresser (DH and I are sharing a 5 drawer that is exploding!)

Found myself in the baby clothes department of Walmart today. We have TOO MANY clothes, but it's OH SO tempting!!

#4 ·
I have my 34 week appointment today with the new Ob/Gyn. I'm not nervous or anything, just in a mood to not put clothes on and leave the house.

We had our second and last shower this weekend. HOLY PINK Batman! I would say at least 95% of the items we got were some form of pink clothing or pink blanket. We are definitely stocked on 0-6 month old clothes, I just wish that people had listened when we said we wanted gender neutral items. Oh well, at least it saves me from having to buy the stuff myself.

We only have one item on our registry that's a must have item that we didn't receive but we got plenty of gift cards to cover the cost of the bassinet and the shipping.

So, YEE! That mostly just leaves us with buying a few crib pads and a few other assorted items, like breast milk storage bags and such. All things that can wait until we receive our coupons from the store.

#5 ·
I had my 30 week appointment Friday and it was actually with my OB and not his NP. I thought he was wonderful! lol. He told me my uterus is now officially bigger than my ass. I beg to differ but he put me entirely at ease. He's up for anything as far as the birth is concerned- if I want to wait til ast minute to come in, if I want an induction (after 40 weeks), if I want to come in and get an epi as soon as possible. We discussed all scenerios. He asked about breastfeeding and circumcision and was very happy that I'd be breastfeeding even with starting law school and was even more excited that we were not going to circumcise.

#6 ·
I never found out the gender of my first babe and so people were forced at my shower to give me loads of gender neutral clothes and such...however... as soon as DD was born I was inundated with pink frilly clothes. I'm not a huge pink fan but both sides of the family felt like we needed to shout out loud and clear that we were toting a baby girl around. I would say that we didn't even use a good 30% of them because family on my husband's side in Southern CA just didn't calculate the babies age for the clothes they bought (ie. summer rompers in size 3-6 mths) and when she would have even fit in them it was winter time- LOL. My 2nd child was born at the same time of the year so we'll have to see if this one is a girl and we finally get to use some of those summer outfits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

HOLY PINK Batman! I would say at least 95% of the items we got were some form of pink clothing or pink blanket.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

too many clothes? not a problem over here...

still have nothing for the baby other than 2 blankets knitted by friends... I guess we're not worried though
wink1.gif
There's still another few weeks before I'm officially at term...
I should clarify, we have all the clothes from DS1 (and when I say all, I mean every item he ever wore), and they're both spring babies, so we don't have to worry about seasonably appropriate (although in FL we have two seasons: summer and January).

As far as the pink stuff goes, I love pink. I know I'm the outcast on that subject, I am with my local group of friends too. My little princess is quite the frilly thing, and I couldn't be happier! ;)

#8 ·
Trying to catch up on posts from the past week. I thought I had an appt with the MW today and went all the way to the office only to realize it is on Thursday- ugh. I've been doing them on Mondays but remembered once there that the MW there today doesn't do deliveries. Anyways... at least the traffic wasn't bad.

I was feeling pretty good energy-wise ( I think the Floradix, spinach salads and Flintstones/Iron chewables are finally working) but I came down with a horrible cold on Saturday night. I'm still in the sneezy,achey, coughy phase. Hoping to get over it quickly

Last week was a tough week as my close to 90 yr old grandmother passed away. She was a feisty, independent, intelligent woman and I could only hope my children would have a grandmother so involved in their lives. We spent every Friday night and most of Saturday at her house until teenagers - my sister and I were her only grandchildren - and she spoiled us rotten. Up until right before Thanksgiving she was driving her sporty red car and still living on her own, reading the newspaper and caring for herself. She had a stroke and never fully recovered and it was one medical issue after another until she said- I'm done. No more procedures, no more nothing- I've lived a long life. It was difficult to watch her slowly fade away and every time I would visit the baby would be kicking and moving- almost to tell me that life is a cycle and there is both death and birth. We have her memorial service next Monday and I'm trying to put together a little tribute to her, to be read. Not sure I'll be able to hold it together with all these pregnancy hormones inside and not just cry through the whole reading.

Trying to make up a real to-do list of items I need to get done in the next few weeks. It's coming along slowly.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMT View Post

Last week was a tough week as my close to 90 yr old grandmother passed away. She was a feisty, independent, intelligent woman and I could only hope my children would have a grandmother so involved in their lives.
hug2.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was so much fun and just amazing!! I realized yesterday that this would be the first baby I had that my paternal grandmother would never hold, and I just bawled... and she died about four years ago, also after strokes just sapped her life away. Wishing you so much strength in the coming weeks!

I was all set to whine about finding my impossible bra size (I need something like a 42-44ish B-small C) (barrel chested yet small breasted!) and then while digging online I found bra strap (well, for around the chest) extenders. I think I'm saved.

Delayed reaction to catching up from last week - Thank you Elonwy for posting the nuke info commentary! Sent it to a gf in ID who was flipping out about not having Ki for her kids. I hope she reads and heeds!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View PostHe asked about breastfeeding and circumcision and was very happy that I'd be breastfeeding even with starting law school and was even more excited that we were not going to circumcise.
These are awesome things to hear about an OB... to hear about anyone, really! :)

Re: gender specific clothes- I can't find the newborn baby girl stuff I know I have somewhere... *sigh* but otherwise I think we have enough to get us through the first 2-3 months. I need to get some nursing pads, I keep forgetting about them. I really hope to avoid disposables this time. I'd like to try the bamboo and wool models, since cotton didn't work well for me last go-round.

#11 ·
All of my newborn clothing is gender neutral so I am set there but once teh 3-6 months kicks in it is very very very pink. I am not going to be able to afford to buy any clothes either. So, if it's a boy I hope he looks good in pink! lol.

#13 ·
Karen - I want to say that I lost my grandmother about 2.5 years ago and she is still with me all the time. I was very close with her and - well - I can't explain, but I find many ways to feel close with her.

I'm feeling HUGE today! I mean spectacle huge! 33 weeks... at some point soon we stop getting bigger, right? Like around 36 weeks? Then the baby settles? Or do they just keep growing... sigh...

Last night DH dropped me into such deep hypnosis I didn't even hear him "invite" me out of it... it was awesome. I have to say it yields very restful sleep (until you have to go pee.) Class 3 of 4 of hypnobirthing tonight.

#14 ·
Granted our baby shower is next Saturday, but we have like 4 onesies and three pairs of socks. And one diaper :p Oh! and a pair of mittens and booties.

I am feeling super blarg this week. Sunday night I didn't fall asleep until 8am (Part of that was gluten related - 3rd trimester tea- not GF!) so I didn't go to work yesterday. I am super interested in seeing the results of my anemia test, because I've been feeling really weak muscled lately. Also dog tired but unable to sleep at night. If I lay down for a nap during the day (like on the weekend) I'm out like a light and zonk for about 4 hours but lay down at night? Pfft. I wish I could nap at work in the afternoons. 37 days until leave!

#15 ·
Quote:
I'm feeling HUGE today! I mean spectacle huge! 33 weeks... at some point soon we stop getting bigger, right? Like around 36 weeks? Then the baby settles? Or do they just keep growing... sigh...

They just keep growing, and growing, and growing. My son clearly grew after his due date. As did my stretch marks. Though when they do heads down they feel and carry different and once they drop it is different again. All of my favourite shirts keep riding up.

Mine was heads down last week for the back up OB appointment, but today is back to transverse breech (I am 34 weeks) She (or he) just keep spinning. With my son I ended up with a version at 38 weeks to turn him. Part of me is worried we will end up there again (and a C section if that does not work) and part of me is just glad she/he is in a more comfortable position for me again. I liked the OB, and while I hope to never see her again, I would be comfortable with her if we did.

I love shopping for tiny baby things second had. You can find so much stuff that was washed once and never used. It also lets you fill all your clothing cravings with out breaking the bank. My town's parenting center has the best consignment sale and this past weekend I picked up 213 things at the bag sale ($5 for a giant grocery bag) which worked out to 2 cents per item. I cleared out the 0-3 and 3-6 month tables, particularly the pink since we went gender neutral last time (we like surprises and don't find out). Even if I have all boys, it is a cheap thrill. Silly thing is that I have tons of baby clothes all ready (like 21 short sleeve 3 month onesies).

We are almost out of lawyer review on the house and close in less than three weeks. My midwife was excited for us, as long as I keep the hospital bag packed and easy to find. Packing is a great way to get some organizing done. I have a huge purge pile in the crib right now (to keep it out of my toddler's destructive reach.

I bought another baby carrier (I have an addiction and worse yet, an employee discount), a Dolchino wrap. It is beautiful and comfortable. I managed to get my two year old (28 lb) on my back last week on my first try. At 33 weeks! I am very proud of myself.

#16 ·
When I went in for my 34 week appointment she mentioned that after that visit I would be having internals every time I came in and I about flipped out. I can't believe how fast this has all gone.

I really want to start drinking my RRL tea daily but I find it gives me heartburn. any suggestions to help fight against that?

I've also started doing my pelvic tilts/lifts and those about kill me. I'm just having so much pubic bone pain. the OB said that little Hannah is really low and she wouldn't be surprised if I ended up walking around dilated for a while before labor set in because of how low she already is. I figure I'll take as much low pain dilation as I can get :)

The LLL meeting is held in this second hand kids shop and it's super dangerous for me. I keep finding things that I want to buy and I have to remind myself that I don't need anything else in my house. Although, they do have this really pretty ring sling there that I think I'm going to have to pick up next time. It's just too pretty.

#17 ·
Karen ((hug)). I hope that there is some healing in being able to honor her in such a special way. Im sure you will put something really beautiful together.

AFM, just been really busy getting everything ready for baby and trying to spend time with DD before everything goes into the newborn whirlwind. I feel like these last weeks are dragging by though and I cant believe that I could possibly be pregnant for 7-9 more weeks. With my first I didnt mind being pregnant up till the very end.. 42w5.. but this time I am praying soooo hard not to go over. I just want to meet this little already!

Babe has been suspected to be pretty persistent breech all pregnancy. She likes her head up by my heart cuddling her placenta.. LOL..

Since Im likely 34 weeks (maybe 33, but I really think 34) and have a bit of a short torso, we decided to take a peek via U/S and sure enough her little head was up. Ive been going to the chiro weekly since before pregnancy, but we did some more aggressive adjustments yesterday and the webster's technique then babe moved like crazy all afternoon and evening.. at one point I thought I saw her WALK up my right side, which was followed by a thunk feeling on my cervix. Didnt want to get my hopes up and I suck at palpating myself.. so went in and had my former mentor midwife take a quick look and YAY.. she is now head down.

Hopefully she stays that way.

#18 ·
Well Yeah on all the head down news from everyone!

I love freecycle.org for used recycled baby clothes items. And well just about anything! I seem to luck out on the fabric scraps all the time!! Great way to get rid of stuff too!

I'm at 34 weeks and boy has the colestral? set in. Ok so I have no idea what to call it but everyone was talking about how in the second pregnancy you make more of this stuff that helps bones separate expand what have you for baby. Well what ever its called I feel at times my legs are not connected or are going to just fall out. Really weird. I am also having my milk come in. Holy burning swelling uncomfortableness! It's also been amusing to see the looks on all the younger than me faces at school. One dude got a chill or a quiver when he watched the baby roll across my belly today in 3d class!

Oh getting so excited to hang out with my little man on spring break! No next week but the following. Taking him to zoomontana.org/. We're a ways from Billings so it will be fun to get a hotel room and explore together!

Would ya'll even consider driving 2370 miles with a new born and 3 yo? It would take 5 days at an average of 8 hours a day. Oh that just seems crazy to me with nursing and all. Thats also a lot of car seat time for the babe. It is by far the least expensive way to go. Wish it wasn't so darned expensive flying in and out of MT!

Karen sorry about your loss....love and light ~*~

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

When I went in for my 34 week appointment she mentioned that after that visit I would be having internals every time I came in and I about flipped out.
You know, they can't give you an internal if you don't take off your pants! Just letting you know. I thought all those exams were "required" with my first. They aren't.

AFM, some days I feel huge, some days I feel small. It has a lot to do with his position.

Let the nesting officially begin! We bought new dressers for DH and I, and we're gonna be moving our over-stuffed dresser into the boys' room today. I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!

#20 ·
Karen, I'm very sorry for your loss. *hug*

mam_mich, having had a kid (DS2) who screamed screamed screamed every time I put him in his car seat, from the very first trip into town at 1 week old, nope, there is no way I would drive that distance, or I would at least not plan/commit about it until taking some test runs. We were semi-hermits for his first year because it was so stressful to be in the car with him, I am praying this baby will be more like the oldest in the family, who slept during every car ride! Of course, I probably wouldn't drive that distance without kids, I hate long-distance driving (maybe he got the screaming from me? :p). So take my input with a grain of salt for sure.

I am hopeful that this little one is also head down, hopefully for the long haul...? I have mostly thought so all along, but had a day here and there in the last couple of weeks where he/she felt suspiciously breech, and my midwife last week wasn't willing to say which end was bum and which was head (it was one of those suspiciously breech days for me). Sunday was a crazy is-baby-breech day, and since then I am feeling very reassuring kicks at the top of my belly and bits of hand movement at the bottom...and yesterday I asked DH if my belly looked a little lower and he said he had actually noticed that the night before and hadn't bothered mentioning it. Here's hoping that's the end of that - we go for a quick ultrasound next week to double check. He/she is still spinning to posterior, though, so we will have work to do on that anyway...last night I was getting all the kicks and tickles right along my midline - feet up top, knees in the middle by my navel, and hands down low. Little monkey :p

#21 ·
34 weeks + 1 day here. I'm getting excited! I know it's going to go fast from now on.

This is day 15 of bronchitis for me, but my double ear infections cleared up. I got rid of my pink eye once, but it's back today. And I apparently caught a cold the other day. Where do I throw in th towel? The bronchitis is getting better finally. I was able to sleep in 2 hour increments last night which was heavenly! Not trying to complain. Just struggling and frustrated.

I'm looking forward to a homeschool conference this Friday and Saturday. The kids even get to go and attend workshops of their own appropriate to their age. Sounds fun and useful!

#22 ·
Hi Ladies! I'm a little late on picking up the weekly chats and I wish I would have been reading them earlier! It is so nice to read about what you all are doing and going through. This is our first baby and its nice to know we aren't alone!

I am 33 weeks today and it hit me that our little boy will be here in no time! At times I feel like I have a ton to do and then in the next moment I just want the baby to be here. We have our baby class this Saturday and I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it will help my husband & I feel more ready for Dominic to be here. Although, I'm not sure what they could say or do to make us feel ready. Still, I'm hopeful to complete another part of the process.

Last night I also had consistent braxton hicks contractions. I would generally get one when I walk the dog or do laundry, but these were the first ones that were consistent. I'm glad our bodies do this. It just makes me excited that my body is gearing up to have this baby!

#23 ·
Karen - sorry to hear about your Grandma, at least she lived a long and active life. You'll have great stories to tell to your kids about how great she was. I'm making a 'this is your family' book for my baby because a lot of the folks have passed on now so maybe that's something you can do to share your love of her with your new one.

Jrs'mom - ouch! 15 days of bronchitis does not sound fun. Glad you're starting to feel better.

I got food poisoning on Monday night from pasta and meatballs at a restaurant for lunch and puked for 12 hours straight, all night into the morning. The baby was not pleased and kept on kicking me in the stomach, which made me puke more. I at least was able to keep hydrated with coconut water and regular water. Managed to keep down some chicken soup last night at 9pm, but that gave me heartburn when sleeping. Bah. I go for my next prenatal appointment tonight and weigh in, so that should have dropped at least 2lbs from what I would have weighed. Got to look on the bright side!

#24 ·
UGH. not fun. I had food poisoning at 23 weeks (funny thing, I eat strange [sometimes questionable] food ALL OVER THE WORLD, and what gets us? McDonalds in Madrid - go figure) - I puked more than I have collectively in the last 25 years (to be fair, that's not a lot), and I didn't feel the baby move for several hours after I finally stopped puking... like I said, UGH!

hope you're feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post
I got food poisoning on Monday night from pasta and meatballs at a restaurant for lunch and puked for 12 hours straight, all night into the morning. The baby was not pleased and kept on kicking me in the stomach, which made me puke more.

#25 ·
OK. With my epic hugeness post - a fireworks explosion of stretch marks. DAMN!!! I mean I'm not much of a bikini gal anyway but I guess I wasn't imagining it. Growth spurt and the marks to show it. I am 33.5 weeks.

I find pelvic raises make me feel any pelvis pain I have more acutely than anything else. They are good for you, but they totally put your focus on the area. I'm just getting used to the knifelike stabbing in the crotch as a fact of life every time I stand up.

Today I got a NICE dose of one of my most HATED things about 3rd trimester. If I say how I'm truly feeling women who haven't been pregnant in years whip around and say WAIT TILL YOU HAVE THE BABY! And nod at each other.

DO YOU NOT REMEMBER WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE IN THE THIRD TRIMESTER? Awkward, sore, sleepless? It's AWESOME to get the baby on the outside of your body, even if it's rough adjusting to a newborn. I've never had one, but this is my least favorite comment to get - like oh you think you have it hard now? Blech. I should just shut up but sometimes I would like to be able to gripe a little bit.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post

He told me my uterus is now officially bigger than my ass.
ROTFLMAO.gif

i just read the rest of this thread...so sorry to hear about your grandma, karen. i would be distraught if my nana died, seriously. we are super close. much love to you.
greensad.gif

midwife appt today went well...i only gained a pound in the last 3 weeks but oh well. they don't seem concerned. she's head down with her head up by her face
smile.gif
or at least she was sleeping that way at that moment. haye got to help out with measurements and everything and was very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.