GBS+ urine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my OB's office just called to let me know that my urine culture tested positive for GBS, and that I should start taking 500mg Cephalexin 4x/day for a week. Has this happened to anyone?

I'm a little annoyed because they didn't tell me to do a clean catch, and I just thought that they were dipping my urine for protein and sugar like they always do. So I wonder if this could have affected the result. Then again, maybe GBS in any level is a cause for concern?

I definitely don't want to get a kidney infection and want to minimize the risk that I'll need antibiotics during delivery... but I also don't want to expose my LO to unnecessary antibiotics. WWYD?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to clarify that this was not the regular GBS test (swab), but a urine culture. I've read that this is more likely to correlate with "heavy colonization" than just a normal positive GBS screen by swab, hence the antibiotics now vs. just during delivery.

#3 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysmile View Post

Just wanted to clarify that this was not the regular GBS test (swab), but a urine culture. I've read that this is more likely to correlate with "heavy colonization" than just a normal positive GBS screen by swab, hence the antibiotics now vs. just during delivery.

Yes. I would take a urine colonization very seriously.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#4 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Sorry, just realized that might sound alarmist. I didn't mean 'very seriously' as in panic mode, but I'd take the antibiotics definitely.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#5 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 AM

well, I know that GBS can cause bladder infections, so they may be trying to prevent that since they're seeing it in your urine.  How long do they want you on the antibiotics for?  There's a LOT of info out there on the pros and cons of antibiotics, but I don't know how those carry over into your case.

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#6 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 AM

As you've said, GBS in urine is considered a high degree of colonization.  I would be iffy about the clean catch thing, too - can you just call and ask to go in and do a clean catch sample, for peace of mind?  Then at least you'll know for sure that it was a urine thing and not contamination from wherever else.  If it did come from your vagina, for example, you could be taking other steps to work on this before you get swabbed, without resorting to antibiotics (which have been shown, I think, to not affect outcomes when it comes to vaginal/anal colonization).  ETA: and by that last point, I of course mean oral antibiotics during pregnancy, not IV during labour...

#7 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies! I decided to to go ahead and start the antibiotics since it does seem to be potentially serious if untreated. I have an appointment today, and am hoping to find out how severe the infection is (I think that they should have a count or something like that), and ask if the lack of a clean catch could have impacted the results if the levels were low. I was really hoping to avoid antibiotics during delivery.. not sure if this is possible any more even if I test negative again before delivery. I'm planning to ask about that too though.

#8 of 12 Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM

when is your actual due date, Silly?  Because GBS is something that can come and go fairly easily/rapidly.  Standard testing is between 35 and 37 weeks - so you can always request the regular test when you're toward the latter half of that window to see if you still test positive - though again, this can be impacted by the antibiotics, so they may not do the test.

There are a bunch of situations where you don't need to do the IV antibiotics at birth...  As I recall, the main risk factors are if your baby is premature, if your water breaks early (I think it's like 12 hours before labor, or if you develop a fever during labor.  You can talk with your doctor and see if they'd be willing to allow you to forgo the IV unless you fall into one of those categories. 

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#9 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm due 5/15, so I have a ways to go, but I asked my OB about this at my appointment this week and she said that I was considered to be heavily colonized and would need antibiotics even if I tested negative before my due date. Grr. She also wants to induce me if I go much past 36 wks. I'm hoping to make it to at least 38 though. Between the likely pitocin, antibiotics, and all the hypoglycemia checks after birth (since I have GD), my birth is getting way more medically complicated than I hoped. Oh and they found a heart arrhythmia the other day, which means an echo shortly after birth as well :(

#10 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 AM

SillySmile- I'm sorry you're going through all this.  Is this your first child?  I'm not sure why they would induce you at 36 weeks just because of the GD.  That seems like a setup for a caesarean.

#11 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

This is baby #2 for us. They're not inducing because of the GD, but because they think that the placenta is going to fail and that I have a relatively high risk of stillbirth (a few percent is what they told me), which will go up steeply as I get further along. All of this worry is based on an extremely elevated AFP result from my mid-trimester screen. They ruled out a lot of stuff and were left convinced that there must be a problem with the placenta. However, the baby is still growing very well and I'm hoping to get as close to 38 wks as I can as long as things look good. I still want to have a vaginal, unmedicated (i.e. no epi) birth if at all possible.. hopefully it will all work out!

#12 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 PM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page