two quick questions for other cloth diapering DDC sisters - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas! We CDd with our daughter but didn't use wool...any recs on how best to lanolize initially (I'm knitting a few soakers for this babe) and for maintenance?  Also- what do you wash your dipes in?  We used Allen's Natural for quite some time, but it ended up breaking down some diapers (we just didn't have luck with it...) Can't believe we are getting this close!!

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#2 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 05:38 AM

I've always just used whatever detergent I have for dipes never had a problem, Tide Free usually.  With the soakers, I had no luck with knit soakers, pee soaked right through they were just too thin even when lanolized.  This time I bought an old wool sweater and made some thicker soakers.  I bought wool wash and liquid lanolin online and lanolized in the sink. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 AM

This will be my first, so I don't speak from experience...  but we went in to our local cloth diapering store and talked with them for about an hour on all topics cloth.  They recommended Charlie's soap for diapers and baby clothes.  They told us that baby skin can be a bit more sensitive, so while it's perfectly fine to use normal detergent, you may just want to cut back and use a little bit less than you normally would for your own clothes. 

Hope that helps!

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#4 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 AM

I wish I knew the brand but I use a solid bar lanolin to re-lanolize my wool soakers.  I also have liquid lanolin but only use that when I really have to do a heavy duty lanolizing because I find it rather messy to work with.  As for soaps, I have gone through both tons of different ones and loads of different routines.  A lot depends on the type of washer you use and how soft/hard your water is.  I settled for Charlie's soap with DD2 and I also like to use Oxy-Clean with it.  I think a lot depends on whether you are using any microfiber type of diapers as I find laundering the pure cotton/prefolds to be fairly easy but the diaper stink can come along with the microfiber and hemp inserts that really are dense and hold the urine in.  I have never gotten away from some build up issues and will typically strip my dipes every few months using a very small amount of bleach and then making sure to dry them out in the sun.

#5 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 PM

No answers with wool. I'm trying out Econuts, but usually use Charlie's soap for detergent

#6 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM

I do cloth diaper customer service for a living so feel free to ask me any questions.

For lanolizing, I love Sustainable Babyish's photo instructions

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?id=74286602577&aid=332025

I do the same thing, but with Lanisol lanolin and Eucelan wool wash.

Natural fiber diapers are more forgiving about detergents. Man made fibers hold detergent residues in if you use the wrong thing, causing problems and then you need to strip to get them clean again. There are a bunch of detergents that work with cloth. Some are just better than other and most work better or worse for different people with different diapers in different places with different washers. Expect some trial and error.

We use and love Country Save (we buy at Amazon) for everything. I have mostly hemp fitteds and use 1/4 cup with 1/4 baking soda in my top loader. I do a warm wash with a cold rinse. Nice and simple. The baking soda is essential to ending hemp stink. I find that my pockets need stripping twice a year with this routine.

A warning about Charlies. For many people it is wonderful. For some it leaves ammonia burns. If it works for you, perfect. If you are having trouble, switch.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#7 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 AM

we only do wool here, and prefolds. We do use pockets at night though. For washing diapers, we just use biokleen liquid detergent, no issues. For lanolizing, every 6 to 8 weeks or so Ill get a little tub, melt some lanolin in water, add that and some baby soap and more warm water to the tub (keeps the lanolin 'broken' up, should look cloudy) and then Ill add prewashed longies, let them sit for a bit, and then roll them in a towel, and then hang dry after that.

I have a Sheepish Grins lanolin wool wash bar that I use for washing, so I don't really need to lanolize all that often.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#8 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

When we first used wool I used this method:
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/lanolize.htm

Later on I switched to Naturally Luxe Wool Wash. It has lanolin already in it, so it was washing/lanolizing in one easy step. Comes in all sorts of yummy scents too. You can request up to 10 free scent swatches before ordering to make sure you'll like the smell.
http://hyenacart.com/naturallyluxe/mt/238/69777/WOW-Organic-Liquid-Wool-Wash-8-oz

I use Country Save detergent. It seems to work the best with our hard water.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#9 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 PM

I don't use wool so I can't help you there. 

Detergent-wise, though, I just use whatever we have, usually Tide or Gain.  I used to be a total diaper laundry nazi, using fancy detergents in miniscule amounts and stripping them all the time, etc... but a fellow CDing friend of mine had a come to Jesus talk with me about it, and diaper laundry is WAY less stressful now!

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#10 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM

I use soap nuts for washing.  I used them over a year (DD is potty learned now), never had an issue with buildup.  I just threw a little bag in there and then threw the nuts into the bio-trash when it was done.

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40
#11 of 13 Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM

For the regular diapers (I don't have wool) I use naturoli soap nuts liquid soap. 

With my wool nursing pads, I have used eucalan wool wash.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#12 of 13 Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Jumping in from April DDC - lanolin actually decreases the amount of absorbency in the wool as it makes it kind of repellent (it helps neutralize the urine though). I had the best luck with using very lightly lanolinized or not at all thicker knit soakers/longies (usually made out of Cestari, or bulky Gaia) and making sure the fitteds I was using had enough absorbency. If your wool is getting peed straight out of, you probably need more absorbency or a bigger diaper. DD was a SUPER flooder, she would hold it in and then pee all at once, so I really needed to have way more absorbency then most commercial diapers came with (hence I started making my own but that is another story). 

I also love the Naturally Luxe Wool Wash - I just use that and no lanolinizing after - works awesome! She has a million scents, so that is kind of overwhelming, my favs are Birthday Cake and Sandalwood Vanilla (both are sweet smells, the SV is my all time fave).

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#13 of 13 Old 03-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieD View Post

I don't use wool so I can't help you there. 

Detergent-wise, though, I just use whatever we have, usually Tide or Gain.  I used to be a total diaper laundry nazi, using fancy detergents in miniscule amounts and stripping them all the time, etc... but a fellow CDing friend of mine had a come to Jesus talk with me about it, and diaper laundry is WAY less stressful now!

ROTFLMAO.gif

The way you phrased that just cracked me up, Lacie! :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page