Birth announcement etiquette - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'm a crafty gal and I'm excited about making birth announcements -- so of course I've been thinking about a design, colors, etc. already.

I mentioned the idea to hubby, and he thinks it's weird to send announcements to his family since they will already know about it. Somehow to him, a formal announcement through the mail feels too removed for immediate family.

What's the etiquette for who receives birth announcements? I thought it was specifically for family and close friends - but now I'm confused.

Things were easier in the old days when we couldn't just email a photo from our phones ....

Thanks!

:-)

#2 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 AM

i think it's completely appropriate to send them to close family.

when dd was born, i pretty much sent them to everyone who was invited to our wedding (dd was born less than a year after we were married, so the wedding guest list was still pretty relevant to us, but this might not be true for everyone).  i sent them to others in addition to that as well. 

i think everyone loves to hear of such joyous news and it's nice to have something to hold and look at (and hang on your fridge), rather than just an e-mail.  when i get birth announcements, they hang on my fridge for a long time. 

obviously, family will know long before the announcement arrives, but everyone enjoys a formal announcement.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#3 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know about the etiquette is, but with our first I had double sided photo Christmas cards made up . (He was born in August.) On one side was the Christmas card and on the other side was printed - this year we welcomed our first born, a son, <insert full name> born <insert date> at <insert time> ... and then gave the weight/length. People really liked it. So, everyone who got our Christmas card that year also got a birth announcement. We ended up saving a lot in postage.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#4 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 AM

I too send them to everyone (well my friends & family).  Even though my immediate family knows hours after the baby is born, its nice for them to get a formal one they can hang onto or show others.  Like my MIL takes hers to work to show co-workers.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#5 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks everyone for your thoughts! Now I just have to figure out if I push through and send them to his family too, or just leave them out.

Sigh ... having a baby brings up a lot of family stuff!

#6 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 AM

I agree, friends and family (close or otherwise, depending on your budget)...everybody loves a baby pic to stick on their fridge :)  We didn't do announcements with our kids, but we did do photo thank-yous for gifts...the first time around just a regular thank you with a pic in it, the second time around it was more like a combined thanks/birth announcement, and I did them up as postcards so people thought that was pretty neat :P 

Trying to decide what we're doing this time around  - with the first two, we got gifts from everyone that we would be likely to send an announcement to, so it worked well.  This time I figure we won't be getting near as many gifts, but it would feel weird not to send anything in the mail.  We'll see.

#7 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Saying you shouldn't send birth announcements to family who already know about the birth is like saying you shouldn't send physical thank you notes....

I mean, everyone seems to announce births on facebook these days anyway, but a nicely printed birth announcement makes a great keepsake (ESPECIALLY for Aunts/Uncles/Grandparents, etc. - and the LO when they grow up and look at their baby book or other mementos) and/or fridge hanger

If I were a grandparent (or other close relative) and I heard you'd made and sent birth announcements but I didn't get one, I'd probably be offended and/or wonder what I did to annoy/offend YOU.

#8 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

Saying you shouldn't send birth announcements to family who already know about the birth is like saying you shouldn't send physical thank you notes....

I mean, everyone seems to announce births on facebook these days anyway, but a nicely printed birth announcement makes a great keepsake (ESPECIALLY for Aunts/Uncles/Grandparents, etc. - and the LO when they grow up and look at their baby book or other mementos) and/or fridge hanger

If I were a grandparent (or other close relative) and I heard you'd made and sent birth announcements but I didn't get one, I'd probably be offended and/or wonder what I did to annoy/offend YOU.

You wrote my post. Good job. Also, I don't Facebook.
#9 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Who will NOT know about the birth by the time birth annoucements get in the mail and in their mailbox?  If you haven't heard it thru the grapvine by then, you're not important enough to get one anyway!  It really is just for keepsakes IMO, when I get them I always already know the baby has been born, but it's cute/nice to get the first formal picture!  Although I guess I'm lame I just facebook ;)

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#10 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 12:04 PM

I'll probably put a Name/Weight/Time post on Facebook (great way to spread the news amongst old classmates, yadda yadda) - wasn't thinking I'd do anything formal and printed (though now you've got me thinking about it, carrot!), but definitely personal phone calls to relatives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philomom View Post
 Also, I don't Facebook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

Although I guess I'm lame I just facebook ;)

#11 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM

I hadn't even thought of this, but it's an awesome idea. I am only crafty to a certain level, so I'm going to do Walgreens. Pre-done card options, upload photo, pick up at store, mail..... done.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#12 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Probably facebook and an email because I'm lazy... not crafty, and sending mail is something I'm not that great at.  I stay out of the holiday card game because I'm wary of adding those kinds of to-dos to my life.  I always appreciate and hang others' on the fridge though!

PunkElmo likes this.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#13 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

This is exactly the argument I need for DH, thanks!

Quote:

For you crafties out there, I'm a big fan of PaperSource ... they have lots of colors of envelopes to mix & match, and you can do some pretty easy creative stuff with a colored flat card and coordinating ribbon. I made our wedding invitations, so why stop now ...

Although am I totally crazy to think I'm going to have time and/or energy for that?

Thankfully it's a pretty short list of people ... maybe 25 max.

#14 of 17 Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we never made announcements for haye because we were overwhelmed and lazy. eyesroll.gif
this time around though i think i will make them up ahead of time as a fun little project and then just add in all the details and the photo and mail them off after she's born smile.gif
i'm still thinking about how to design them though, because i kind of want to include a photo of haye with her but also one of her by herself. maybe i'll make the actual announcement just her? ugh. decisions! lol.gif

mama to 8 year old haye  and 3 year old zao

#15 of 17 Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM

I'd send to friends and family. Then they get something nice to remember the occasion by.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#16 of 17 Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:

yeahthat.gif

Guys just don't think like grandmas, aunts, and SILs do!! :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#17 of 17 Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
i think everyone loves to hear of such joyous news and it's nice to have something to hold and look at (and hang on your fridge), rather than just an e-mail.  when i get birth announcements, they hang on my fridge for a long time.

We send announcements out pretty widely to our extended family. Basically I decided that people like pictures of babies to put on their fridges (lots are still there two years later). I know lots of people (great aunts, old family friends etc) were touched that we thought of them.

A friend designed a 4x6 print in photoshop with his information (joyfully announcing etc.) and I had the envelopes addressed already so I was not too much work.

I will do the same thing this time (designed in Arts Cow's design thing) and found really neat orange envelopes at Paper Source on 75% clearance months ago. I would do something really craft, but I like to get them out right away and have about 80 to send.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page