Has the baby dropped already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 31 + 3 weeks and the baby had already dropped down. I had my appointment yesterday (A few days early, because the baby dropped and I have been having lots of BH since) and at my 29 week appointment I was measuring 31 weeks and at my 31 week appointment I was measuring 29 weeks. 

My midwife checked and there is no change to my cervix, and no signs of preterm labor, just lots of BH contractions since he got lower...

Wondering how normal this is for a second baby?

Cerise

Happily married mother of a tiny angel angel.gif (12/06 at 5 weeks) Maya Elizabeth dust.gif (12/07) and our full term angel Mateo German angel2.gif (Lost during labor on 06/01/11) Currently pregnant with our naturally conceived twin rainbow1284.gif's due 8/15/2012!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 AM

I think it's common for second (or more) babies to drop later, but I don't think that rules out dropping at this point, either, kwim?  I have no official diagnosis yet but my DH and others have commented in the last 3 days that my belly looks lower.  I am feeling more pressure on my bladder, more room by my ribs, and like you, have started getting Braxton Hicks, seemingly out of nowhere (my midwife just asked me last week if I was having any, and I said I wasn't sure if it was just baby stretching or actual tightenings....yeah, fast forward like 4 days and I could say without a doubt that YES I was having BH, lol!).

I can tell there is still lots of room for baby to really move down and engage (the pressure I feel is right over my pelvic bone and in my bladder, not that bowling-ball-between-your-legs thing!), but I think he/she has at least made a move in that direction. *fingers crossed* cause babe was head up a few times in the last couple of weeks and I feel pretty certain that since Monday he/she has been head down, a good combination with all my settling in feelings!

#3 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bluepetals...yes I feel the same thing....more pressure on my pubic bone and bladder, and more room above, but not like the baby is engaged or anything. 

That makes me feel better....I never really got to any other point in my first pregnancy before they did a c-section..so I am grateful for the info!

Happily married mother of a tiny angel angel.gif (12/06 at 5 weeks) Maya Elizabeth dust.gif (12/07) and our full term angel Mateo German angel2.gif (Lost during labor on 06/01/11) Currently pregnant with our naturally conceived twin rainbow1284.gif's due 8/15/2012!

#4 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm in the same boat as both you ladies- my belly went from high to lower (not sure how I am measuring now but I had been ahead) and this was accompanied by more bladder irritation and a lot of BHs.  I am 32w but this is not the same feeling as when DS dropped at 36w and was between my legs, kwim?  I think the babies are just getting in a good position but haven't engaged yet.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#5 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Midwife confirmed that he's definitely moving down a couple of weeks ago, but he's not engaged yet.  I hope he waits as long as possible for that!  LOL

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#6 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieD View Post

Midwife confirmed that he's definitely moving down a couple of weeks ago, but he's not engaged yet.  I hope he waits as long as possible for that!  LOL

I agree wholeheartedly!  All this bladder pressure is plenty reassurance for me for a few more weeks. :P

ceriserenee likes this.
#7 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM

My baby was moving a ton last night and this morning, like forceful twirling movements. I wondered if he was trying to wiggle into a better position, and then all day today he's been sitting lower. Right now he's got hiccups, and I can feel it in between my legs, lol. I had been mostly feeling them at the top of my pubic bone. I've also had a lot of BH and can feel pressure down below when they happen. It feels so good to be able to breathe deeply again though. I hope he stays, but in the past sometimes mine will get down low and then bobble back up.

I dropped early with my first, but it ended in a c/sec for breech. Then I never dropped with my 2nd, another c/sec. With my 3rd I dropped early again, and it was a vbac. All my other since I haven't really dropped until I'm pushing them out.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#8 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM

Yep, baby has moved down, though she's not engaged.  It feels so good to be able to breathe!!

We had a 3D ultrasound tonight, and she is in GREAT birthing position!  Hope she stays that way for another 6 weeks! winky.gif

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#9 of 22 Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Yes, she moved down about 2 weeks ago. Midwife confirmed it and she's head down as well. Been having loads of pelvic pain as a result but can breathe. :) Midwife said that they move down then up a bit down further up a bit and so on. Similar to what happens in labor, but she's definitely headed in the right direction.

#10 of 22 Old 03-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post Midwife said that they move down then up a bit down further up a bit and so on. Similar to what happens in labor, but she's definitely headed in the right direction.

Yup, my little one was feeling really low for 4 days straight and then Thursday night bobbed back up toward my ribs.  Seems to be moving back and forth now - sometimes I have crazy pressure on my bladder, sometimes nothing (last night I only got up once to pee!!  Unheard of!).

#11 of 22 Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 PM

#12 of 22 Old 03-27-2011, 05:20 AM

My other two never dropped until labor either. This one seems to be higher, though. I am going through spells where they baby seems to be right up in my lungs and I can't get enough air into my lungs. I wish it would move down some,

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#13 of 22 Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

Yup, my little one was feeling really low for 4 days straight and then Thursday night bobbed back up toward my ribs.  Seems to be moving back and forth now - sometimes I have crazy pressure on my bladder, sometimes nothing (last night I only got up once to pee!!  Unheard of!).

I think this is pretty common with women who've given birth vaginally before, since there's extra room in there. My quickest, easiest labors have been the ones where my baby was super high right up till I was pushing him/her out.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#14 of 22 Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Not even close. My last was still bouncing an hour before he was born! I don't expect baby to drop for some time.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#15 of 22 Old 03-27-2011, 03:19 PM

At my last appointment, the doc said he was very low. The smart butt in me almost said, "Yeah, you don't have to tell me." I've had some nasty pubic and pelvic floor pain for the past week or so.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#16 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM

just had an appt with my midwife this afternoon and she said babe was engaged (@35 weeks...)  Explains the extreme discomfort around my cervix, which can really hurt if I'm in the wrong position.  Didn't have this with either of my other two...

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#17 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 PM

I don't know. I don't think I've dropped, but someone told me I looked like it today. shrug.gif I doubt it, though, because at my appt. last week, I was measuring two weeks ahead, and comparing my belly shots, it appears that I've gotten bigger in the last two weeks.

I've been told at my last two appointments that baby is low, and that I should expect to feel pressure down there, but I don't unless I'm having BH. You guys scare me with your increase in BH when the baby's dropped. I've been having a ton already! Any more and I feel like my day would be one giant BH!

Is anyone having the baby head butt your bladder and claw at your cervix at the same time he/she is kicking your ribs? Or should I anticipate a very long baby?

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#18 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM

This little bugger is definitely stretched out enough to get both ends.  All weekend he's been using my bladder as a punching bag and cervix as a scratching post or something, the whole while shoving feet up in my ribs.  

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#19 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 AM

at my last appt, my mw said baby was head down & very low (30w+5).  I think she flipped that way from transverse just the night before bc I felt a lot of pressure on my cervix.  I'm also getting it at both ends - pressure on bladder & lungs.  at least she's very gentle *knock on wood!*... so far the hardest jabs have been outward on my belly.

since she's low now (but not engaged) is that why I'm feeling pressure (in vulva) sometimes when I stand or walk around?  the intensity varies & it's about half the time or less.  I started getting worried that I was going to get varicose veins but now I'm realizing it coincided with her dropping down.

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#20 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 04:52 PM

Yes at my 30w appt, I was measuring the same as I had the two weeks prior. I had noticed that baby dropped right before that, I don't remember any of my other

babies dropping so early.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#21 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 PM

my belly is already so low, I don't think she could drop any lower. Seriously, she's been hanging out inbetween my pelvic bones forever now. I constantly have tailbone pain, hip pain and a bladder the size of a pea. So yeah, I don't think my baby will drop!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#22 of 22 Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 AM

I woke up this morning to a much smaller belly and the LO's butt halfway down near my belly button instead of jammed up in my ribs.  I do have more crotch pain and hip pain but no more reflux!  I had been measuring 2-3w ahead for months but I am guessing that will change.  I am 33w now and DS dropped/engaged at 36w, born at 39w so I am guessing that I have more time for this LO to bob around.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page