Is There Anything You Just Can't Get Enough Of? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I not only look like I've swallowed a watermelon.., I may have actually done so. Just bit by bit, of course, cause I cannot stop eating it!!! For about the past month, I've had to have it on hand, or go out looking for it. And as it's still very early Spring, it isn't always easy.

After reading up on the nutritional aspect of watermelon, I'm not too bothered by this, but it's way beyond a craving.

Anything you just MUST HAVE in the house... or on your person.. to eat?

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#2 of 38 Old 03-24-2011, 06:18 PM

I require cottage cheese everyday. I've been having it with a banana and berries for breakfast each morning. I try to buy the no fat version just because it makes me feel better, but a few times I've put light maple syrup in a pint of it and just ate it by the spoonful.

#3 of 38 Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 PM

YUM cottage cheese! But only the nancy's brand because it has a nice tanginess to it- no other brand will do. My must-haves change frequently- currently it is brown cow maple yogurt (FULL of sugar :( ). In the past it has been nancy's cottage cheese, pickles, red peppers, morningstar veggie buffalo wings.... I am sure there are more. Unfortunately my must haves are countered by TONS of must-not-haves. I never had this many food aversions with my past pregnancies!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#4 of 38 Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Surgarrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

#5 of 38 Old 03-25-2011, 07:04 AM

Cottage cheese for sure. Yes.

And mangoes. At least one a day! I cannot decide if this is really a food craving or it's somehow subliminal. DH and I decided to watch LOST in its entirety during my pregnancy and it seems like every episode someone's walkin' around on that crazy island eating a papaya or a mango.hahaha

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#6 of 38 Old 03-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Kombucha...I'm trying not to overdo it but I have to have at least 2 glasses a day...I'd drink more if I wasn't pregnant.  I'm also loving yogurt(stoneyfield farm full fat french vanilla is my favorite) with blueberries, strawberries and a few chocolate chips in it.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#7 of 38 Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Ruby Red grapefruit juice.  I could seriously drink a bottle a day, but I ration it.  

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#8 of 38 Old 03-25-2011, 05:22 PM

I CRAVED nancy's cottage cheese in the first trimester..something about that tangy yogurty, cheesey goodness. YUM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post

YUM cottage cheese! But only the nancy's brand because it has a nice tanginess to it- no other brand will do. My must-haves change frequently- currently it is brown cow maple yogurt (FULL of sugar :( ). In the past it has been nancy's cottage cheese, pickles, red peppers, morningstar veggie buffalo wings.... I am sure there are more. Unfortunately my must haves are countered by TONS of must-not-haves. I never had this many food aversions with my past pregnancies!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#9 of 38 Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 PM

honestly, I haven't had many cravings this pregnancy. I only had cravings in the first trimester, and they were for things I couldn't stomach. SO not fair. Now that I can eat food again, I just don't crave much. It's weird. I wonder if it's my diet? I eat very little grain, lots of fat, protein, veggies, fruits and nuts. Maybe it's limiting the cravings? I don't know. I'd say the only thing I have to be careful about is sugar.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#10 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Apparently MO is to ask a question then disappear. :)

I'm going to have to go looking for some Nancy's cottage cheese. I really miss the brand they had in CO, and every standard grocery store (as opposed to natural) has a brand that I could take or leave. But, I'm a weirdo (according to my dh, who also loves fruit in his cottage cheese), I have to add salt and pepper to my cottage cheese! Maybe some tomatoes. Or some lasagna noodles, sauce, spinach, etc etc... ;) But it was such a great snack, and I'm just not impressed with what they have here.

I think my son got about a fifth of that last watermelon, and the rest was all me. And I need to find another one.

#11 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 04:39 PM

My favorite way to eat cottage cheese is as a dip for salt and pepper kettle chips. Fruit and cottage cheese is just weird.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#12 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 06:42 PM

Orange juice! I could probably drink a whole carton a day if I let myself, but I don't!

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#13 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 PM

i second the sugar option! so horrible.
also, ORANGES. lemon water, frozen lemon wedges eaten whole. ice chips. SO MUCH ICE.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#14 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

My favorite way to eat cottage cheese is as a dip for salt and pepper kettle chips. Fruit and cottage cheese is just weird.

Word, Sister. :) At least I'm not the only one! ... and that sounds like something I'll have to try.

ETA: Anne1140, I couldn't stop drinking OJ earlier in my second tri - and I don't even like it when I'm not pg!

#15 of 38 Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 AM

Water!

- Watermelon sounds pretty awesome too. If I had one, I'm sure I'd eat the whole thing in a day but I love watermelon pregnant or not. :) And watermelon, as it implies, is very hydrating!

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#16 of 38 Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 AM

Icy cold water. I always have a huge glass with me and can't get enough. I think I could eat a whole watermelon too! Too bad it's not in season. Oranges have been tasting really good though.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#17 of 38 Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 AM

Pinapple, OJ, sugar sugar sugar and anything with cheese.  And Kashi island vanilla whole wheat cereal.  ANd peanuts.  This could go on and on...

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#18 of 38 Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 AM

Guacamole, cottage cheese and pineapples.  Not all together though.  The cottage cheese and pineapple thing has kind of faded, but for about a month I ate them everyday.  The guacamole thing isn't as hardcore as it used to be either, but I still go through a lot of it.  Wholly Guacamole brand is the best.  I never seem to like it when I make my own.  I eat with a spoon as a dip and on sandwiches.  The other day we went to visit my inlaws ( a two hour drive) and I brought two 2-container packages.  One for the road and one for when we were at their house.  I would probably eat cottage cheese more but I have trouble finding a brand I like.  We only get mainstream brands of anything around here and the best I've found is Borden and even that is hard to come by.  I was also eating a ton of grapefruits for a while but then one morning I woke and was just done with them.  Could not stomach the thought of another, lol.  It's kind of weird that everybody wants cottage cheese though.  There must be something to that.  I never really liked it before my pregancy and when the cravings came I was going through 2-3 containers a week and that was just because I forced myself to slow it down and not eat a container a day.  I like the full fat stuff too.  No half-waying it for me.

#19 of 38 Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 AM

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/15/2

Apparently cottage cheese is fairly high in a lot of things that you need during pregnancy. :)

#20 of 38 Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 PM

ICE!!! Constantly every day and at all times. I go absolutely crazy if I don't have it, I drive 20 minutes away every other day to get an 8lb bag of it from this one gas station because the ice is small enough to chew without hurting my teeth. I do not know if this is weird but I do know it is the best tasting thing in the world to me right now. It drives my DH absolutely crazy to hear me chomping down like a "log grinder" all the time but he puts up with it because he is amazing and knows it will all be over soon. yummy.gif

#21 of 38 Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStegall View Post

ICE!!! Constantly every day and at all times. I go absolutely crazy if I don't have it

Be careful, that's a sign of a nutritional deficiency. Not trying to be an alarmist or anything.

AFM: I've got such a sweet tooth lately. Sweetened green tea, soda on occasion, Yesterday I found myself eating marshmallow cream at my mom's house. Yeah, I know, nasty.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#22 of 38 Old 04-10-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStegall View Post

ICE!!! Constantly every day and at all times. I go absolutely crazy if I don't have it, I drive 20 minutes away every other day to get an 8lb bag of it from this one gas station because the ice is small enough to chew without hurting my teeth. I do not know if this is weird but I do know it is the best tasting thing in the world to me right now. It drives my DH absolutely crazy to hear me chomping down like a "log grinder" all the time but he puts up with it because he is amazing and knows it will all be over soon. yummy.gif

Be careful with the ice.  You can definitely hurt your teeth.. sometimes craving ice can be a sign of iron deficiency.  It's a form of pica.

Im craving falafel with good feta.  Other then that, Ive moved outta the craving stage for now it seems.

#23 of 38 Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Thank goodness it's citrus season right now!  i want it all, especially minneola tangerines.  YUM!   also, i've been eating a lot more bread than I used to.  I've actually eaten pasta five or six times, which was unheard of before i got pregnant!  this probably explains how i've gained a bit more weight than i was intending.  I ate way too much cottage cheese my first trimester, and now it makes me a little queasy to think about. 

#24 of 38 Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 AM

WATERMELON is so awesome.  Seriously I was even dreaming I was in a store that sold nothing but watermelon - quarter melons, half melons, and slices.  Damn it's so good.

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one on the sugar thing.  Seriously I have never eaten this many sweet things in my life - usually I have a few days between cravings.  I'm keeping up the exercise and protein so I'm not concerned... but wow.  It's work sometimes to go for the non-sugar option.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#25 of 38 Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to thank you all for the Nancy's cottage cheese recommendations... THANK YOU. It takes just like cottage cheese should AND has probiotics?? Oh yes. Yes, please. Happy times are here again. :)

And I still LOVE watermelon. Looooooove it. :)

I have to fight the sugar cravings. When dh and I were disputing reality, if you will, I bought a cherry danish and though I *have* shared with the kids, I've probably eaten well over half if not 3/4 of it. bag.gif But, it was SO good. At least I've stretched it out over a few days... right? That makes it better, yeah? And I'd eat something protein-y first to try to keep the balance.(The balance between feeling guilt and feeling reasonable, of course.) And stuff.

#26 of 38 Old 04-14-2011, 03:17 PM

Strawberries! mmmm.... LOL

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#27 of 38 Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Im right there with you Lizzie I can't get enough of watermelon

#28 of 38 Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM

You all sound so healthy...I can't get enough pancakes, crepes, french toast, muffins, biscuits, scones...sigh.  You get the picture.

Still-learning wife to long-suffering and wonderful DH and manoula to DS #1 (8/09), an angel baby (7/10), and DD #1 due May 29!
#29 of 38 Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 AM

^ LOL, if it makes you feel better, I keep craving fast food and pre-made freezer food. Sooo healthy... whistling.gif

#30 of 38 Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 AM

If it was up to me all I would eat would be hamburgers, french fries, ice cream and mac n cheese. I'm trying to restrain myself though :P

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page