Alternative to RRL tea - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've tried. I've really, really tried to drink my RRL tea but it makes me have heartburn and generally not feel awesome. Are there other options, tea or otherwise, that can give me the same benefits but that are a little easier on the stomach? I can't tell if it's too much peppermint or what, i just know that I felt terrible most of last night.

#2 of 9 Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM

Hi there! Not sure of alternatives, but I have a book I'm gonna check out when I get home. Was just wondering- are you drinking straight up RRL tea, or a kind of prenatal blend that includes RRL? Could be that the other herbs or flavors in a blend might be what's upsetting your stomach. I make RRL iced with Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger, and I can't even tell the RRL's in there.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#3 of 9 Old 03-25-2011, 02:32 PM

I'd get RRL as a single herb.  Mints always give me heartburn when Im pregnant, even when I smell them.

But, if it is the RRL that is giving you problems. Partridgeberry/squawvine is your next best bet.

http://www.rebeccasherbs.com/herb_partridgeberry.html

#4 of 9 Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Nettle is an alternative. There are others but my books has been misplaced :(

#5 of 9 Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM

Nettle is a great herb, but it isnt a partus preparator like RRL.

#6 of 9 Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 AM

I drank plenty of RRL prior to getting pregnant, but it just hasn't settled well since becoming pregnant. I have both the Traditional Medicinals RRL bags and a 'loose leaf/whole herb' RRL from a local supplier.

What I have *loved* this pregnancy, is Rooibos Tea. And I'm now doing a blend of equal parts alfalfa, rooibos, and RRL - which I find to be incredibly nourishing. I feel so good after drinking a cup....really ought to drink it more!

While Rooibos and Alfalfa are not uterine toners, they are both loaded with vitamins & minerals. And the rooibos can help reduce stomach complaints, boost iron, and control both appetite and blood sugar levels. It is high in antioxidants, and has anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties. Rooibos is the traditional pregnancy tea in South Africa.

So sure, I'm not getting all the benefits of straight RRL, but my mix is working for me so I'm sticking with it. Maybe blending your RRL with other gentle plants like alfalfa &/or rooibos would help you too??
#7 of 9 Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

I've been doing a premixed prenatal tea. Should I try and find pure RRL and just brew it by itself?

#8 of 9 Old 03-26-2011, 06:22 PM

For me it is just plain cheaper to order it in bulk. It costs the same for a 6 month supply when I order in bulk  as it does for a months supply when I buy it in a box.  the prenatal teas are supposed to be good too. My midwife gave a friend of mine instructions to make her own prenatal mix from the loose leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

I've been doing a premixed prenatal tea. Should I try and find pure RRL and just brew it by itself?

#9 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to find a capsule version of the Red raspberry. I am going to try that and see if it bothers me as much as the teas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page