RRL Tea prep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I bought some Red Raspberry Leaves, the instructions on the bottle said 1 c boiling water and 2 tsp leaves and seep. Do I need a loose-leaf tea set or can I do it without buying anything else? Also, how much should I be drinking per day?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM

I have a strainer that fits into my mug. You can also get empty tea bags and put it in those. It's pretty much impossible to strain without something though.  I'm interested to see what others say on how much. I just started to drinking it again. I'm starting with one cup of it this week. Think I'll move to two cups a day next week. After that I'm hoping to fit in 3 cups a day.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Where did you buy the strainer?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:43 PM

I ordered it from Mountain Rose Herbs I think but I also think they might have them at Vitamin Shop.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 PM

3 cups per day is the recommendation I've always seen.  As far as a strainer, Walmart sells a tea ball in the kitchen gadgets aisle for like $1.50, and it works great!

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 PM

I just received my shipment of herbs today. I throw RRL, nettles and peppermint all in together (because I don't love the taste of RRL). I got a tea strainer at Kroger for super cheap that sits right on the lip on the cup. I've been doing one cup a day, but next week (35 weeks) I'll up it to two. and so on.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 PM

My midwife recommends 1-2 cups per day. The way she says to prepare it is to pour 4 cups boiling water over 1 oz of RRL tea leaves (preferably wrapped in cloth—I use cheesecloth). Steep in covered container for at least 4 hours. Drink from about 28 weeks until bleeding stops postpartum.

mommy to DS (5/29/05) and DD (3/21/07) and DD #2 (5/3/11)
Expecting DD#3 around 1/2/15
Old 03-26-2011, 04:06 AM

I got a strainer at the kitchen shop downtown for $1.99. I also use a loose leaf variety, and I mix it 70/30 RRL with a "Materni-tea" that has some great stuff for iron, milk production, etc. I can't stand the taste normally, but this stuff is actually rather good. Either way, I hand-pack the strainer with my fingers (maybe 1.5 tablespoons?) and then boil in about 1L of water. Add some sugar to taste, cool, put it in my Kleen Kanteen and freeze it overnight and sip on it throughout the next day. Works great, because otherwise I'd honestly never drink it... hot tea makes me throw up.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM

I am the exact opposite lol.gif.  I can't stand to drink anything cold so when it's 90 degrees here in May, I will still be drinking it hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

I got a strainer at the kitchen shop downtown for $1.99. I also use a loose leaf variety, and I mix it 70/30 RRL with a "Materni-tea" that has some great stuff for iron, milk production, etc. I can't stand the taste normally, but this stuff is actually rather good. Either way, I hand-pack the strainer with my fingers (maybe 1.5 tablespoons?) and then boil in about 1L of water. Add some sugar to taste, cool, put it in my Kleen Kanteen and freeze it overnight and sip on it throughout the next day. Works great, because otherwise I'd honestly never drink it... hot tea makes me throw up.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

Same here, well, hot tea doesn't make me throw up but it makes me feel awfully nauseous. I love the RRL tea icy, icy cold.

I'm just using bags, but I steep on the counter overnight then stick in the fridge leaving the bags in it till I'm ready to drink it. I use 2 bags(1 RRL & 1 Pregnancy, Yogi brand) in about 16 oz water.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM

I have to have it cold too! I've been using bags for now, mainly because the local health food store was out of bulk RRL, but I want to start switching out with nettle too. Right now I'm getting in two cups a day, steeping one bag of Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy Tea (with mostly RRL, strawberry leaf - lots of iron, calcium & happiness - and nettle)  , one bag of Alvita RRL tea, and one bag of a fruity herbal tea (per each cup) to help with the taste. I do not love the taste of the RRL, so the strawberry leaf and fruity tea really helps. I actually like it! I do add sugar while it's warm or room temperature and then refrigerate it ... then add ice before drinking!

My bloodwork says my iron is borderline, so I thought the teas would be the happiest way to boost that, and it's a good habit for me to get going anyway.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.

User Tag List