Last chat thread of March, ladies :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas!  Happy Monday.

I had an interesting weekend... the to-do list said "deep clean."  The only thing I was good at this weekend was putting food in my mouth, lol.

DH kicked some butt yesterday and our kitchen is spotless.  I cleaned the fronts of the cabinets and complained the whole time.  He recaulked and cleaned the shower in our master bed/bath too!  I think he's nesting.  I seem to be watching.

My shower is next weekend and I have a big shopping trip, a work conference and my last birthing class to tackle this week, not to mention finishing the cleaning that I didn't get to this weekend.  But, the house is in way better shape than it has been for ages so I can't complain.  

This weekend I started to feel a little bit of desperation towards pregnancy - moms who are repeat moms - how the hell did you do it?  I had a great pregnancy but 30+ weeks with kids I just cannot imagine it.  I am hoping to have 2-3 kids.  I guess when you're deep in it it seems daunting but I'm guessing when you have the babe in arms you kind of forget about the last ten weeks.  Hopefully?

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#2 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Aughhhh! I am exactly 2 mos from my due date! I still have so much to do around the house.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#3 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 AM

35 weeks 1 day!

Had deep cleaning on the list for this past weekend, too, but ended up house-sitting for my parents (they have a farm). Enjoyed the weekend and think I slept for 65% of it! Sleepy me - it felt great.

Starting to get the "I don't want to be at work anymore, just want to have this baby" blues - a little early, I think. I need to snap out of it!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#4 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Today marks 35 weeks. I can not believe I'm already this far into it. I didn't do a single thing off of my to-do list. oops. Last week I started separating out the clothes and stuff to be washed but I never finished it.

Last week we finished our Baby Ed class. Thank god. I need another open night to get stuff done. We also had the doula come by the house this week. I LOVE my doula. she's such a perfect fit for us. It makes me feel really calm about the upcoming birth.

#5 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM

You know, Annaconda, when I was this far along with my son - and every bit as huge - and my daughter was 16 months old, as difficult as some things were, I was just totally consumed with having those last weeks with JUST her, and I didn't have the brain power to focus on both of us, so I focused on her! I know I looked just like I look now, but I don't remember being quite this miserable during that last pg. I remember more about struggling with movement and having very painful feet with my dd than with my ds, so maybe I have blocked it out, with the help of having a little one to chase?

Of course, I was 9 years younger too... that probably helped! I certainly never thought I'd still be having babies at this age, or that my kids would be so far apart in age. From one extreme to the other in regards to spacing the kids apart!

And now my kids are 10 & 8.5, and just incredibly sweet and helpful - they do all the dishes, they do most of the laundry, they lift things up so I can grab them rather than having to bend down or over all day, get stuff out of the lower cabinets and drawers - if they weren't so helpful I might be moving a little better! But they've spoiled me.

We had a fairly good weekend - my big goal for weeks has been to get dh to the store to look at car seats with me. I wanted his input, dang it, but he just kept thinking of other things to do since we have "plenty of time". I got him there! And after all that effort, his input was pretty much that I should get the one I liked best. wild.gif He wasn't worried about the cost and he has no problem with getting another one in a year or so (our kids are never big enough to turn at one, and now with the newer guidelines backing up my own determination to keep this LO rear-facing for as long as possible, one of the 30 pound limit infant seats will likely last us well into the first year) and basically I should've known this - could've saved myself some time and insistence. He just assumes I'll make the best choice and doesn't worry too much about it. At least if he comes back later and wonders why we have car seat X (I still don't know which one I'll get!) I can tell him it's because he agreed with me. ;)

I got a couple of hours on my own with our local Birth Network's Blessingway, which was fun and relaxing, (and full of the SWEETEST little babies!!) and then we all ate a great dinner my dh made and watched The Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring. The kids had never seen it before, so that was fun. :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#6 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 12:33 PM

35 weeks tomorrow. Baby seems to like to stay heads down, so we are ahead there. We are moving in two weeks and I had planned to get a bunch of packing done. I got one box done and three naps in. I am just feeling wiped. Monkey is having a period of tantrums which just takes so much parenting, and then I can't be getting things done.

Getting things in boxes is making the housekeeping easier though.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#7 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Just got home from pre-natal and my sons first dentist.  He's 3 I didn't know they like to start at 1! Well I had his first cleaning scheduled for May but noticed a spot in back that I couldn't get clean and asked to be moved up.  I happened to get today!  Well 2 cavaties and a lot of enamel wear down.  I feel so bad. Like a bad Mama.  I never had a cavity till my 20's and at that just 1 on a grown up molar I couldn't reach the back of.  So with minimal care my mouth was always ok.  I have been handling my sons mouth the same way :( His Papa does have bad teeth but I thought it was just his days of too much partying etc.  Anyway they like give the kid nitris oxide to avoid any bad memories etc just to make sure the experience is not remembered as awful.  They will take care of everything in 2 visits.  I just don't know.  I toured for a number of years and the idea of my son on nitris is freaking me out!  I would like to think rescue remedy would handle it. But he will getting a shot which he has not had b4.  

What's ya'lls experience?  How do you feel about nitris and a 3 year old?  I know I can't spell it!

#8 of 43 Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM

I was given nitrous as a kid and it totally made the experience bearable. The great thing about it is they just flip on the oxygen afterwards and you walk out of there normal, not all doped out of your gourd like other stuff. They are also starting to bring back nitrous in labor to take the edge off, cause it doesn't cause any kinda of permanent effects and can be turned off and on pretty easily (when you stop breathing it, you stop feeling it). I wouldn't have a problem with it, I have more worries about lidocaine and novacaine than about nitrous. 

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#9 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 AM

I've never had nitrous. It kind of scares me. I don't know if I'd want my kid having it.

We had a busy weekend. Saturday we visited DH's grandparents, then dropped the kids off at my parents house so we could go to an arena football game. My parents gave us their tickets to one of the games. They have killer season tickets, on the goal line, three rows from the floor. Kids got to sleep at my parents' house, so we got to sleep in and didn't have to get kids ready for church. Yay.

Yesterday was supposed to be that "deep clean" you all keep talking about. Then when I woke up, had horrible pains across my torso. I honestly thought I was in labor. I think it was gastrointestinal though. I wasn't comfortable doing the planned cleaning, and ended up sitting on the couch all day until we went to the car dealership and picked up MY NEW CAR!! Well, it's new to me! A Ford Windstar minivan. Yup, I feel so grown up driving a minivan...

We had a Bible study last night, and I got enough energy to make these muffins/cupcakes for the adults and some banana muffins for the kids. They went over very well. I'm thinking of making a tray of them to bring to the hospital along with my birth plan. Our doula said bribery helps to get your birth plan read.

We got the cradle/swing seat cover yesterday, so that's set up. My parents are moving this week, so I'm watching my siblings tonight and tomorrow. I may put the oldest one to work helping me get everything I need to do done.

Is anyone else on edge? My mood has just been lousy lately. I have no patience, getting anxiety attacks, irritable, frustrated, and just generally not wanting to be around people. My poor husband and kids are paying the price the most. Sunday after church we had a fight because I had gotten to that point where I was too hungry to decide what I wanted. I'm starting to use my Rescue Remedy more. I'm just ready for this pregnancy to be over.

I feel like a whale, and my mother's comments about my size aren't helping much. A couple Sundays ago she says (in the middle of a full church foyer), "Wow, Rebecca, you're really getting fat!" then turns to someone next to her and says, "I love to tease her." She told me yesterday, "I noticed yesterday you're getting big! I mean, not just your belly, your hips and thighs, you're really huge!" I told her I'd only gained 25 lbs and changed the subject. Witch. I'm about done with her comments. I really think I may blow up if she doesn't stop. DH says she's just playing. I don't really care. It's bullying to me. I mean, if we were 12 years old and at school, she'd be suspended for bullying.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#10 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 AM

I have gotten really big since Sunday! I might take a picture just to illustrate. My belly is totally popped out and really round and I noticed when I pulled my hair back to wash my face this morning that my face has puffed up some. Grrrrreat! 32 weeks, so 2 more months of this.

My midwife has suggested at 34 weeks doing garlic at night to help eliminate GBS. I don't want to smell like garlic down there though! hahaha. I'll probably do it anyway though.  Better safer than sorry.

I knew both of my girls were going to be late (15 and 11 days respectively) but I don't really have that feeling this time. I am thinking it might only be by a few days and that is cool with me. June 6th is the date that keeps coming to mind but maybe because I just watched Band of Brothers.  Any date besides June 5th is fine with me, that is my MIL's birthday and I don't want my baby to share with her- she is evil!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#11 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave their condolences last week on the loss of my Grandmother.  The memorial service was yesterday and went really well.  I was able to read a several page eulogy before a very small gathering and mostly hold it together.  We celebrated her life and I think she would have been proud.

Mama_mich: My older daughter has extremely crowded baby teeth and despite our very vigilant tooth care she developed several cavities between her molars.  We went with the nitrous oxide at her pedi dentist and I would do it again.  It made her very mellow and a bit dopey for the initial part of procedure and she barely noticed the novacaine being given.  She had to go back for 3 visits and wasn't anxious the 2nd or 3rd time.  The effects wore off quickly.  The only thing to note is that a lot of dental insurance companies do not cover the nitrous so I had to pay for that out of pocket.

AFM:  I started with a pretty bad head cold about 10 days ago, I thought it was going away but then on Friday it turned into a horrible sinus infection.  I tried, in vain, all weekend to get it to clear with sinus rinses and rest and vitamins but it just got worse and my asthma became unbearable.  By yesterday my cheeks, teeth and ear were in agony and I was constantly wheezing.  I went in and my Dr confirmed a bad sinus infection, ear infection and respiratory infection- For some reason each time I've been preggo and caught a bad head cold it just morphs into this type of thing.  So, nebulizer treatments, inhalers and zithromax... and in about 6 days some OTC yeast cream - blech.  Hoping the meds kick in by tomorrow as I still feel like poop.

In terms of preparedness, before this cold knocked me totally out Sunday, I managed to wash and put away all of the newborn clothes and diapers.  I need to buy about 6 fitted diapers and would love to buy another wool cover as I love the one I have.  I bought one more nursing bra and ordered the infant car seat.  I was going to go with the Graco 30 but bought the regular one as DD1 is moving out of her Britax Marathon and it still has a few years before it expires and works RF'ing up to 35 lbs.

#12 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM

Becca - I would also blow up at my Mom if she were saying those thing, especially in public in front of other people. Saying "I'm just teasing" is just a way to try to get away with bitchy behaviour. I doubt she'd react well if you told her that you thought she was an ignorant cow and followed up with "But I'm just teasing you, Mom!".

Mama mich - I had nitrous at the dentist when I was younger and it was totally fine. I lot less scary then just getting the needle without anything to take the edge off.

On a personal note, one of the midwives at the hospital birth center I'm planning to have the baby in called yesterday with good news. My HcG levels were apparently high at my last blood test and they have a policy to have you go in for an ultrasound at 32 weeks and then weekly monitoring for an hour at a go to check the baby's heart rate, your amniotic fluid levels and the growth of the baby because there was a slight chance that there could be something wrong with your placenta based on old correlations. All the people I talked to about it at the hospital said that they have never found anything wrong in all their testing, but it's protocol and they assumed it would be changed in the future.

Well, lucky for me, I had my ultrasound and they told me that because I fall under the new acceptable range that they only need the ultrasound now. So I don't have to go in for weekly annoyances during my work hours. Big stress off my back there!

#13 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelgeek View Post

Becca - I would also blow up at my Mom if she were saying those thing, especially in public in front of other people. Saying "I'm just teasing" is just a way to try to get away with bitchy behaviour. I doubt she'd react well if you told her that you thought she was an ignorant cow and followed up with "But I'm just teasing you, Mom!".

On a personal note, one of the midwives at the hospital birth center I'm planning to have the baby in called yesterday with good news. My HcG levels were apparently high at my last blood test and they have a policy to have you go in for an ultrasound at 32 weeks and then weekly monitoring for an hour at a go to check the baby's heart rate, your amniotic fluid levels and the growth of the baby because there was a slight chance that there could be something wrong with your placenta based on old correlations. All the people I talked to about it at the hospital said that they have never found anything wrong in all their testing, but it's protocol and they assumed it would be changed in the future.

Well, lucky for me, I had my ultrasound and they told me that because I fall under the new acceptable range that they only need the ultrasound now. So I don't have to go in for weekly annoyances during my work hours. Big stress off my back there!

Yeah, I am about at my wit's end. I think part of it is that the "f" word (fat) was never allowed in my house growing up. My sister is morbidly obese, my parents are obese. Until I started having kids I was always the smallest person in my family. Even now, at my start weight I was less than my mom.

Are you seeing a high risk OB? That's some crazy guidelines for monitoring. The only people I've seen do monitoring like that are people with pre-e or HELLP or multiples.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#14 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM

I mentioned that my new Ob/Gun mentioned last week that from this point out she likes to do internals at every visit. I am thinking about telling her that I only want it done at 38 and 40 weeks. Is there any reason that I should get them done more frequently?

#15 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

I mentioned that my new Ob/Gun mentioned last week that from this point out she likes to do internals at every visit. I am thinking about telling her that I only want it done at 38 and 40 weeks. Is there any reason that I should get them done more frequently?

There's really no reason for internals at all. The only time I'm getting undressed from now till time to deliver is for the GBS test on Monday.

#16 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post

Are you seeing a high risk OB? That's some crazy guidelines for monitoring. The only people I've seen do monitoring like that are people with pre-e or HELLP or multiples.

Nope, not a high risk OB. Just the women's center policy for the higher than normal HcG levels. I guess they just redefined 'normal' and now I'm within range. I told them I thought it was excessive and I was going to opt-out of the high frequency. I could see if you went in and the 32 week ultrasound showed cause for concern, but mine was totally normal. Now they're just going with that for their official policy so at least I don't have to argue with anyone.

#17 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_mich View Post

Just got home from pre-natal and my sons first dentist.  He's 3 I didn't know they like to start at 1! Well I had his first cleaning scheduled for May but noticed a spot in back that I couldn't get clean and asked to be moved up.  I happened to get today!  Well 2 cavaties and a lot of enamel wear down.  I feel so bad. Like a bad Mama.  I never had a cavity till my 20's and at that just 1 on a grown up molar I couldn't reach the back of.  So with minimal care my mouth was always ok.  I have been handling my sons mouth the same way :( His Papa does have bad teeth but I thought it was just his days of too much partying etc.  Anyway they like give the kid nitris oxide to avoid any bad memories etc just to make sure the experience is not remembered as awful.  They will take care of everything in 2 visits.  I just don't know.  I toured for a number of years and the idea of my son on nitris is freaking me out!  I would like to think rescue remedy would handle it. But he will getting a shot which he has not had b4.  

What's ya'lls experience?  How do you feel about nitris and a 3 year old?  I know I can't spell it!

Don't feel bad!  I took my oldest to the dentist at 3 and he had rampant cavaties! (12 cavities!)  I was horrified!  This kid had the healthiest diet ever and we were very careful about cleaning his teeth.  They wanted to give him general anesthesia and fill all these cavities.  I did a ton of research and consulted holistic dentists who didn't offer much better choices--just more compatible filling materials.  Finally after reading things on the dental board here, I found out about ozone treatment and raw dairy in the diet helping HEAL cavities!  We found a dentist an hour away who uses ozone.  He simply scraped the brown away as much as possible, treated each cavity with ozone and gave us recalcifying paste to use on my son's teeth every night after cleaning. (No flouride by the way.)  He had used an instrument to measure the density of each tooth and over time, we could see the density increase.  My son is now 6 and we've never had to fill a cavity.  He's lost 8 teeth already and you can see where the big cavities had been, but they didn't progress and most importantly we never had to knock him out and drill and fill!  It's amazing!  We also used raw dairy and butter in his diet too.  He craved butter like no one I've ever met.  I guess his body knew what it needed.  I've been taking my second son to this dentist since he was 2 and he's had only the start of two cavities which we took care of right away with the ozone and paste.  We take my 2 yr old daughter there next week for her first exam.  Good luck!  I hope this info helps!  Teeth can heal!  Bones heal!  What a concept!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#18 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM

I had my 35 week check up today.  I finally brought up talking about the birth since the OB hadn't mentioned our previous VBAMC conversation since our first consult.  At that point he discouraged me, but said we could talk about it more.  That was the best I could get after searching like crazy for support in IL.  Even the "VBAC friendly" docs flat out said NO to VBA3C.  All except this guy.  I like him and he's actually close to me unlike the others I had consulted hours away.  Anyway...he said he still doesn't think I should expect different results this time unless I go into labor early.  (I'm always "late" and have 10lb+ babies that have never even dropped after 25 hours of labor.)  He said if I go into labor on my own and show up at the hospital 6cm dilated then we'll go for it!  That may not sound great to anyone here, but it's seriously the best I can hope for.  I took it as good news.  We'll see what my body does.  I'll pray that if I'm supposed to deliver naturally, that God let's me go into labor early for once!  Otherwise I'll trust that it's okay for me to have a repeat C/S at 41 weeks.  I'm making peace wih either way.

Baby is head down and everything else is good.  Yay!  (That's always been the case though.)

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#19 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM

My mom is so awesome. I think I mentioned that she has been sewing since I told her we were pregnant. Well, I finally got to see what she's been working on, and it was amazing. Two baby quilts, 6 blankets, 24 receiving blankets/swaddling cloths and 24 cloth wipes. Plus some extra burping cloths. This huge box of awesome showed up. Pretty amazing. The cutest fabrics too, one of the quilts is blue with babies on clouds, the other is blue with a moon and stars. There is another blanket that is pink with starfish on it, and also an orange one, a green one and a yellow one. The receiving blankets are mostly white. 

We're starting to have quite a bit of stuff! Starting to feel real. I told my husband "If the baby comes now then it won't freeze!"

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#20 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 05:29 PM

We made it through the dentist alright!  They knew I was anxious about the nitris so they did not give it to him. He wiggled a bit with numbing shot but then thought it was pretty cool that he couldn't feel anything.  When they put the "tent" thing in so the water and stuff would get swallowed he got uncomfortable.  He was weepy through the whole thing but sat still and was very proud when they all told him how good he was doing.  I held his hands and sang his favorite song or om'ed when he was extra weepy and it calmed him to almost silence.  The team praised papa and I for our bed side manners.  They went on and on about the om or the "papa song" (aka hush little baby) "that was amazing how responsive he was to you etc etc".  Made me wonder what other parents do or don't do?  I had to go straight to class afterward so he went home with papa.  I can't wait to talk to him about it.  I can't wait to hear what he has to say about the experience so I can gauge better wether or not we will need the nitris for the next visit.

Becca jealous on the minivan for sure!  And I have been the biggest agro bitch!!  I was happy for my son that he was going to papa's so he doesn't have to deal with it.  He is going to get a poddy mouth if I don't get these moods in check.  I think I will look for a flower essence that fits more specifically than the rescue remedy.

Happy for your good news Reelgeek! 

Thanks everyone for the replies on the dentist!!

Oh on a note from my prenatal.  I have always thought 36 weeks you're safe.  My midwife said I have to be 37 or 36 weeks and 5 days to birth at the birth center.  Otherwise I have to go to the hospital.  It's kind of annoying in that I feel like they are soooo medical at the birth center and I feel like there has been so much thrown at me about what would make me have to go to the hospital etc. Not the same as planning a home birth. I still feel like I will go early and have been talking to baby and body about making it till at least 36 weeks...next Sun!! I just have to throw another week on I guess.  I have been crampy and there has been bloody discharge so fingers crossed.  I guess on some level I have given up on my hospital fear and just want the baby out too!! 

blah!!

So big exam thurs for art history and a fluff 3d class and spring break is on!!  SO excited to conquer the list and to take a mini rd trip with my boy to the zoo!!

#21 of 43 Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

ITA with Becca. I said something to you about this last week, but I think I was too late in the game for you to catch it... There really isn't any reason for internal exams unless you want them, and it can lead down a slippery slope to birthing in a way you hadn't wanted. My midwife doesn't do them prenatally AT ALL, and only in labor if you want her to. Like Becca, I won't be getting undressed for anything but my gbs test and the birth! Oh, and on notifying people... I'm with you as far as hospitals go - if someone wants to sit in a waiting room, that's their issue! LOL.

Becca - big hugs. I don't know how you handle your mother with the grace that you do... I liked Reelgeek's response! And I've been downright irritable lately. Sadly, my dh and kiddos are the ones that catch it the most. Thankfully, they've been patient with me!

And Reelgeek... that's great to hear about an office actually readjusting their levels for current research, instead of digging in and not listening! AND great to hear everything's normal for you!

Elonwy, my mom has a similar box she's getting ready to send... I can't wait! :)

Jr'sMom... I will definitely be checking that out - ds's reflux has really messed with his teeth. :(

Mama_mich - I'm so happy your son made it through, and so bravely, and that you were by his side! I had lousy baby teeth and ended up with a lousy pedi dentist who didn't allow parents in the exam room. WHY my mother allowed that I'll never know, (nor does she, in hindsight) but he was a horrible man, and controlled children with fear & anger. He had no business working with kids, and terrified me. Of course, I was too scared to tell my mother what a worthless freak he was, so that went on for a year or so while he told them I hid when it was time for my appts because of the inevitable pain of dentistry. That said, since then, I've had pretty great dentists.

Had my 31.5 week appt today. My little human has apparently flipped head down and facing my left side... and my mw thinks "he's" got one leg in front of him and one sort of bent at the knee and going back behind him. Sounds uncomfortable! I just want him to go back to being transverse!! The shift is messing with me. And since both of mine before stayed breech until they decided to flip right before the birth, I just don't worry about it anymore. I think babies stay in the position they need to be in until birth, and if they don't turn, there may very well be a good reason for it that we can't know, maybe until they're out, maybe ever. This starts my every-two-week visits. Far out. :)

#22 of 43 Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only moody one here lately! I was in such a funk yesterday. Today's a little better. I'm fighting off a cold, which is NOT helping things! I've got my three siblings today to help with the kids and moving laundry around. WHY does it seem that I never get caught up on laundry?!

mama_mich- glad things went well!

Has anyone done/seen patterns for burp cloths? I only have white trifold diapers (you know, the type you *don't* use as diapers) for burp cloths, and I now have the space/ability to decorate them. I want another sewing project. Not that I don't have enough to do already...

#23 of 43 Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Becca, my mom takes those and crochets an edge around them with uh... embroidery floss, I think it is? And sometimes just puts a cute binding or colored bias tape type situation around the edges for a more boyish look. She's the one who sews in the family... I can barely hem a blanket. :)

#24 of 43 Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 AM

mama_mich, I'm glad your little guy did so well...good job to him and to you and his dad, too :)  One more visit and then he's done, then?  that will be a bhig relief, I'm sure.

Re: vaginal exams at prenatals.  I totally agree with PPs.  I guess some people are curious, but in all the people I know who've had them done regularly at those last few appointments, I've never seen it tell anything useful.  All it seems to do is make people a) discouraged because nothing is happening (which is normal!) or b) think they might go at any minute, which could be true, or they could be waiting another 3 weeks!  I just don't get why care providers feel they are at all useful.  I had a doctor for my first child and she never checked me once at prenatals (she offered in a "I am guessing you don't want me to check your cervix" kind of way.  She totally got that I am hands-off for sure :P).  I was checked a couple of times in labour, but even then the nurse told me to go ahead and push/grunt as I needed to if I was feeling the urge, and then she gave a quick check a little while after that (I was still in transition, but I just kept up with my grunty little pushes anyway).  With DS2, I wasn't checked at any time before birth or during - I just pushed when the urge came to do so.

That said, if you are getting into a situation where induction is being talked about, I guess I can see the need to check for how receptive you might be to it.  But as a routine thing, it boggles my mind.  JMHO.

#25 of 43 Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Edited to add: To SallyNichole

One thing that wigs me out is my midwife was telling me that here locally (we have a large medical/nursing school near here and the huge hospital they have is where a lot of people go) it's considered "routine" as part of the exams to strip the membranes. So it might be worth asking exactly what they will be doing during each exam depending on how invasive you want them to be. I sometimes find with regular docs, even when I have a great relationship there, that you have to press to get details about stuff. I would be livid if someone did that without asking me first. I stress that this is something I only know of as local, coming out of people trained at that school specifically, so may not be the case at all where you are at, but might be something to think about asking. My midwife doesn't do them at all until labor, unless I want her too, which I am soo ok with. 

#26 of 43 Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Super tired today! Yesterday I was a little manic and got a ton of stuff done, so this is my punishment ;)

My girls are getting super excited - and both can cloth diaper like experts! Had to share:

photo.JPG

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#27 of 43 Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

Edited to add: To SallyNichole

it's considered "routine" as part of the exams to strip the membranes.

I actually talked to her about this at our last visit. She said she could do it in office if I requested it but I'm not going to, so no worries. And I think that I'm going to disrobe for the gbs test but I'm going to request that no internal exam be done. I am not sure if you all remember my earlier dilemma with being the polite patient but I'm going to try hard to not let that happen again.

#28 of 43 Old 03-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Maybe you will get lucky and they'll just tell you to swab yourself - that's how they do it here (some docs, at least).  Last time around the doc handed me the thingy, said "open it up, swab vagina then anus, and carefully put it back in the container without touching anything else" and then left me to do my thing.  This was a change from my first pregnancy, so I was a little taken aback :P

#29 of 43 Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 AM

Will be getting a very quick peek at baby today after my midwife appointment...she is having a hard time telling head from bum (I am fluffy ;P) so we're going to head to the hospital after my appointment to have a quick look via ultrasound.  Send me head down vibes, please?  I have been feeling super confident that babe was head down for like 10 days straight - and then yesterday I had a big bulge in my belly for a while (which made me worry maybe baby was repositioning) and then the big kicks seemed lower than usual.  This baby is a little rascal, this is the second time in a row he/she has seemingly moved around right before a midwife appointment! 

#30 of 43 Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

Will be getting a very quick peek at baby today after my midwife appointment...she is having a hard time telling head from bum (I am fluffy ;P) so we're going to head to the hospital after my appointment to have a quick look via ultrasound.  Send me head down vibes, please?  I have been feeling super confident that babe was head down for like 10 days straight - and then yesterday I had a big bulge in my belly for a while (which made me worry maybe baby was repositioning) and then the big kicks seemed lower than usual.  This baby is a little rascal, this is the second time in a row he/she has seemingly moved around right before a midwife appointment! 

Head down vibes! I am going to see if they can tell by palpitating tomorrow. I will be 32 weeks. I don't want the internal check at 36 weeks, though, even though I will already have my pants off for the GBS test.

I ordered three shirts and three pairs of pants from Old Navy and they came last night. I am pretty stoked about wearing them for the next two months (and probably a bit beyond!) all of my other maternity stuff is so gross and frumpy looking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page