Who do you plan to notify when labour begins? (vent) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll tell my younger sister when I go into labor and she'll tell my other sister and dad.  They won't bug me. They'll wait until they hear the news of the birth.  My younger sister will come to the hospital and stick around, but I won't worry about her.  I'll be very sad that my mother isn't there to be the first to see the new baby as was the case with all the others.  I only wish she was there to "bug" me.  She passed away almost two years ago and it pains me to think of my mother never knowing this child.

My MIL will know right away too because she is the one taking the kids for a couple of days.  She'll wait for the call after the birth too and probably wait 24 hours until she brings the kids to the hospital to meet the baby.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 AM

the only people i'll be telling when i go into labour are my mum cos she's watching the kids, my birth partner and the hospital oh and maybe you guys on here and my fb birth group lol but anyone else will find out when little man puts in his appearance though no one will be phoning or showing up at the hospital me and my birth are just not that interesting my dad will probably not see Xander till his next party whenever that is

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM

My parents will know because 1. they live below us and 2. they will be watching our daughter during the whole thing and we will tell my husbands parents just so they aren't left out. My one request, really demand, is that NO ONE be at the hospital waiting in the waiting room. I don't plan on calling anyone until the baby is born and we are out of labor and delivery and comfortable in our room. One thing that will help with this is that we switched to a midwife and she only delivers at a hospital about 30 minutes away. Our last hospital is 2 blocks away from where we live so it was easy for everyone to just show up. 

The entire family was in the waiting room for my daughters birth including my BIL's quasi girlfriend who I don't like and she doesn't like me, plus when she came in to meet the baby she basically told us we named her "Rhino"!!  I just really don't see the point of waiting hours and hours in a hospital for a baby to be born. 

Plus all during my labor the nurses would come in and tell me that my mother keeps asking how i'm doing and if the baby is here yet and so on and it just drove me crazy and didn't help the situation I was in. 

Old 03-30-2011, 04:21 PM

My first was induced 10 days late and my parents had already flown in from Canada. It was great to have them there already pre-baby, but they had do go and distract themselves at a museum for the day. They were in touch with my inlaws (who were still in Canada). Mostly it worked, but one parent called at well into the evening to see how things were going. I was sitting in the bathroom in transition so it was a real interruption. I had never though to tell people not to call. I don't remember exactly when we called them after the birth, after the snuggling but before we moved rooms. I was so hyped up that once we were settled we called all our siblings and grandparents. My parents waited until the next morning to visit and I was really happy to see them. They are really calm people who remember to bring your favourite snack. My father had to get over seeing me nurse (and pump) but he manned up.

This time hopefully the baby will come after the due date so my Mum will be here to look after the my son. I had not thought of calling any family before (they are all out of the country, so no dropping in). I will have to talk to my Mum about when we will call her with updates, certainly pretty shortly after the baby, assuming it is not the middle of the night. We can have her initiate the family new chain. I will talk to everyone about not calling.

For labour in general. I think it is all about the birther. The other parent does get a say, but mama has an unconditional veto. Or they can birth the baby. It is about you and your baby, not anyone else.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 PM

last time was so easy since we lived several states away from all our family.  our plan was to call my mother and my MIL when we were in labor but it was honestly such a confusing time that we didn't call anybody until an hour after dd was born.  since it was the middle of the night, we didn't have to spend much time on the phone.  our first visitors were my mom and step-dad who arrived the day we left the hospital and i thought that worked out perfectly.  

now we live in my hometown so i'm not really sure what will happen.... i know we'll have to notify someone so they can watch dd and i'm hoping that my mom will be willing to drop everything to whenever we need her because we plan on laboring at home for a while and i want someone to be ready to take her when we're ready to go.  we haven't discussed it with her yet.  i'm also hoping that we don't have people waiting in the waiting room but i know that my mom and step-dad and dad and step-mom will visit us soon after.  i'm hoping everyone else will wait until after we get home.

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM

If I didn't have my ODS I'd do the exact same as you, no one would know. I made the mistake of calling when I went into labor with ODS and I got calls every 20 mins for "update reports" even though I thought I made it clear after call 2 that we would call when baby came. It was annoying. 

This time, the only person who will know is my mom, because she is watching my ODS and she'll be staying with us from 39 weeks until the baby is born. I told her that my phone will be off during my labor and so will DH's and we do not want any calls during labor. She is free to tell whomever that I'm in labor but she won't be getting progress reports. I figure I'll let her deal with the craziness. If she needs us she can call and leave a VM and we'll check periodically to make sure ODS is ok but we won't be accepting or making any calls until baby is here and we're ready to talk. 

Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM

We called my parents to let them know when I was in labor.  My mom bulled my dad into calling to check on us at one point.   Our midwife picked up the phone while I was moaning loudly in the background a few minutes before the baby was actually born (because she thought maybe it was the 2nd midwife needing directions/lost/something) and basically told him to bugger off.  

ROTFLMAO.gif

He feels incredibly sheepish about the whole thing and still hasn't forgiven my mom.

User Tag List