Taylor sitting to relieve crotch pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My crotch area was been really, really hurting bad! To the point where I didn't want to stand up or sit down and lying down seem to help a little. Some how I ended up taylor sitting and all the pain has gone away. The more I taylor sit, the less pain I have when i get up!

This seems contradictory to everything thing else I've read. Has any one else solved the problem this way? Do you know why it works?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM

YES!

theres a dutch physiotherapist that recommends this...and taking big open strides when walking..and NOT guarding keeping your legs together

but using your lower body intelligently with as much balance as possible

and some ways to lay down on your side without using pillows etc etc...all of this has helped me tremendously

as is explained by her and I've since gotten the same info from a chrio and an orthopedist..its not the looseness of the joints that causes the pain..its the imbalance of the looseness in the pelvis that creates pain...balance it out and the pain dimishes dramatically

I tried it because in my last two term pregnancies none of the usual advice helped..I mean do you know anyone whos been helped by it?

#3 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM

Fascinating. This is my go to comfortable position since about the middle of this pregnancy. Cool.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#4 of 14 Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 PM

also...try lying on your back..if it doesnt make you dizzy or ill...put the soles of your feet together and let your knees relax and slowly fall to the sides...it will open your pelvis more and I actually got this huge startling pop the first time I got it to totally relax and the pain I had in my groin was immediately gone....it did come back but not with the same intensity

I start my day like this now

#5 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 03:38 AM

Ooooh, I am so trying this! The pain has made me break down into tears twice in the past week. Thanks for the tip!

#6 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM

I've never heard of Taylor sitting! I'll have to try it. I've been in so much pain down there. 

#7 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVaughn View Post

YES!

theres a dutch physiotherapist that recommends this...and taking big open strides when walking..and NOT guarding keeping your legs together

but using your lower body intelligently with as much balance as possible

Are you talking about this lady? http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelvic-During-After-Pregnancy/dp/0897934806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301498384&sr=8-1

(I swear, I don't work for her, and I don't hang out on the forums just waiting for people to mention SPD..... it's just that someone here recommended this book to me and it's made the difference between crippling pain in pregnancy and being able to function happily the whole time)

My first pregnancy the advice I got from my midwife/the internet/etc. was "keep your legs together as much as possible, try to avoid anything that hurts, and this is just going to keep getting worse until you have the baby".  Which it did.  Because that advice was total crap.

foreignerforlife likes this.
#8 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM

I must be the only uninformed person here because I have no idea what Taylor sitting is. but I'm glad it's working for you!

#9 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM

It's actually Tailor sitting (as in, sitting like a traditional tailor). Might help people google it easier. 

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#10 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camprunner View Post

My crotch area was been really, really hurting bad! To the point where I didn't want to stand up or sit down and lying down seem to help a little. Some how I ended up taylor sitting and all the pain has gone away. The more I taylor sit, the less pain I have when i get up!

This seems contradictory to everything thing else I've read. Has any one else solved the problem this way? Do you know why it works?

Have you looked into whether or not you might have a separated symphasis (pubic bone)? I have this and it's common among grand multipara women (women who have had many kiddos) but it can also happen to first time moms.

Im not sure if the Taylor sitting position is detrimental to a separated pubic bone or not yet... I DO KNOW there are definite things you shouldnt do and ways you shouldnt birth with a separated symphasis becuase it can make it worse. You might look into that though before settling into something you think might be helping but really isnt?

ONE thing about having a separated pubic bone is.. your hips are wider and there is more space for the baby to pass. Has to be a good side, I guess! LOL!

-Jyn, Blessed mom of Abbie ('99), Gracie ('00), AngelBaby ('01), Danny ('02), Jacob ('03), Eva Bella ('06), Angel-Baby2 ('07), Emmalia ('09), Justus John Mark ('11), Jude Ellias Due 7-16-13

#11 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM

Aww. Got it.
I might have to try this tonight because around lunch time I tripped and stumbled a little and when I did that I caught my toe on the rug. I caught myself and didn't fall but that little bit of a fall and toe jam was enough to give me this really sharp pain on the right side of my pelvis. It hurts really bad and it actually feels like I might have thrown something out of whack. I'm going to try some stretches but if I'm not better by Monday I'm bringing it up with the dr.

#12 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

Aww. Got it.
I might have to try this tonight because around lunch time I tripped and stumbled a little and when I did that I caught my toe on the rug. I caught myself and didn't fall but that little bit of a fall and toe jam was enough to give me this really sharp pain on the right side of my pelvis. It hurts really bad and it actually feels like I might have thrown something out of whack. I'm going to try some stretches but if I'm not better by Monday I'm bringing it up with the dr.

Might have torn a small ligament :/ It's times like this I miss anti-inflamitories, hahahaha!

-Jyn, Blessed mom of Abbie ('99), Gracie ('00), AngelBaby ('01), Danny ('02), Jacob ('03), Eva Bella ('06), Angel-Baby2 ('07), Emmalia ('09), Justus John Mark ('11), Jude Ellias Due 7-16-13

#13 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

Are you talking about this lady? http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelvic-During-After-Pregnancy/dp/0897934806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301498384&sr=8-1

(I swear, I don't work for her, and I don't hang out on the forums just waiting for people to mention SPD..... it's just that someone here recommended this book to me and it's made the difference between crippling pain in pregnancy and being able to function happily the whole time)

My first pregnancy the advice I got from my midwife/the internet/etc. was "keep your legs together as much as possible, try to avoid anything that hurts, and this is just going to keep getting worse until you have the baby".  Which it did.  Because that advice was total crap.

yes this book exactly!!! my OB's office was so interested in it because I stopped all of my problems in their tracks that they requested the authors name/ book title so they could start passing along the advice because the traditional advice (including guarded birthing positions) don't really seem to help pretty much anyone.

I've managed to largely be able to function normally because of it...and avoid tylenol for the most part as well.

#14 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynuine View Post
Might have torn a small ligament :/ It's times like this I miss anti-inflamitories, hahahaha!

I'm still in pain when I get up from sitting or when I tried to switch sides through the night but it's better than it was yesterday. I'm hoping some rest and sitting with my heels together will help stretch it out and get me up and moving again but I don't think I tore anything. I think it would take longer to feel better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page