Anyone who is always "late" ever go "early?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering.  Probably my only chance of VBA3C is if I go into labor earlier this time and don't have a 10 or 11 pounder.  With my first two pregnancies, my water broke which started labor 2 days after their EDDs.  With my third, I still hadn't gone into labor 10 days past EDD and my midwife dropped me, leaving RCS as my only choice.  Just looking for hope!

I have a friend who went to 43 weeks with her first two and the third was born at 41.  Two weeks could make all the difference for me.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#2 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 AM

DDDC- My first two went over their EDC , my last DS came at 35 weeks! Talk about a shock! Good Luck to you!

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#3 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 AM

Each pregnancy is different. Of course it could happen. 

Best idea if you really have to deliver before the EDD is to do natural helps - RRL, evening primrose oil (no personal experience but keep seeing people recommend it) and then more substantial natural induction techniques once the date gets close, if nothing more mild seems to be helping. I'm sure you have an idea about those probably, so won't go into detail. :) 

Do you have a midwife this time too? You should do your best to give your baby as much time as they need, so the more rigorous techniques shouldn't be used until it's crunch time. 

I'm a UCer (at least I hope to be :) ) so for me, I'd just hang in there and if things seem to not be happening, just pretend I forgot to return calls and stuff to the care provider and do the birth thing myself and only go in if things just aren't progressing right or don't feel right.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM

I tend to go a week or so over, but one of mine came at 39w6d. Not that early, but even that shocked me since I was fully expecting to go another week.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#5 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys.  I'm just leaving it in God's hands.  I feel like I've tried so hard the first three times and it just wasn't meant to be.  Still I can't bring myself to just sign up for surgery, yet have virtually no support in IL.  Last time I went with an "underground" midwife. (Because most doctors and midwives won't do VBA2C due to malpractice insurance. And nobody advertises that they do!)  I was so disappointed when she gave up on me at 41+ weeks.  That was a $4000 out of pocket waste of time.  (Plus I ended up paying--still paying on--a huge hospital bill--but that's another story.) 

I have to say even though I'm a chiropractor, and what I do every day is help people's bodies function better to naturally improve their health, I've lost faith in my body's ability to birth on its own.  I decided what's best for me is attempting to VBAC in a hospital in case an emergency does arise.  I understand intervention is more likely there than at home and honestly the ONLY doctor who is even partially okay with this is the one I'm using.  He's supported many VBA2C and has not said he won't support me.  He just also points out that the risks with multiple C-Sections increase each time and that the safest way to do it is not being rushed.  He thinks if I go past 40 weeks that we should do a RCS given MY history.  He has never just gone by the "numbers", he's always considered my individual situation.  He says I'd have a better chance if the reasons for previous C/Ss were breech babies or something.  My babies have always been well positioned and just haven't dropped even to 0 station and I've not progressed past 6cm even after 25 hours of intense labor (and pitocin the first time.)  He really thinks I do have a smaller pelvic outlet based on this info.  I say that's hard to believe because that excuse is overused.

I think if I go into labor before 40 weeks, I'm going to do my best to try for VBAC, if not I'll wait to go into labor and do a RCS.  I'll continue to do a lot of praying on this and make peace with it.  I just can't beat myself up about it anymore.

#6 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post

He says I'd have a better chance if the reasons for previous C/Ss were breech babies or something.  My babies have always been well positioned and just haven't dropped even to 0 station and I've not progressed past 6cm even after 25 hours of intense labor (and pitocin the first time.)  He really thinks I do have a smaller pelvic outlet based on this info.  I say that's hard to believe because that excuse is overused.

Not that it couldn't be true for you (being too small down there), but I will tell you that with my first I had 73 hours of labor. I took forever to get to 6 cm. I think I was 6 cm finally after 70 of those hours. No joke. I spent a lot of the labor laying down though and wonder if that may have made it take longer. I was also given pitocin toward the end to "augment" labor but looking back I don't think it helped. I went almost the whole time without an epidural until near the very end, I think they weren't liking my slow progress so were avoiding it though I knew very little about all of that back then as I was mainstream and didn't do as much research as I should have.

With my second, I remained upright the entire labor and things progressed well and my labor only took 12 hours or so. I also pushed hands and knees for most of the pushing (forced on my back at the last push as the doc didn't like my choice.) Anyway, pushing only too like 10 or 15 mins I think vs the 45 it took with my first on my back. 

Remaining upright to allow gravity to help is a really a good idea. Just wanted you to know that it's possible that you actually could be able to have a vaginal delivery still and to not completely give up hope. Of course, not trying to get your hopes up or anything but I think it's good to know that it's very possible. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#7 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Not that it couldn't be true for you (being too small down there), but I will tell you that with my first I had 73 hours of labor. I took forever to get to 6 cm. I think I was 6 cm finally after 70 of those hours. No joke. I spent a lot of the labor laying down though and wonder if that may have made it take longer. I was also given pitocin toward the end to "augment" labor but looking back I don't think it helped. I went almost the whole time without an epidural until near the very end, I think they weren't liking my slow progress so were avoiding it though I knew very little about all of that back then as I was mainstream and didn't do as much research as I should have.

With my second, I remained upright the entire labor and things progressed well and my labor only took 12 hours or so. I also pushed hands and knees for most of the pushing (forced on my back at the last push as the doc didn't like my choice.) Anyway, pushing only too like 10 or 15 mins I think vs the 45 it took with my first on my back. 

Remaining upright to allow gravity to help is a really a good idea. Just wanted you to know that it's possible that you actually could be able to have a vaginal delivery still and to not completely give up hope. Of course, not trying to get your hopes up or anything but I think it's good to know that it's very possible. 

Thanks!  The unknown has tormented me ever since the first C/S!  What if (this) or what if (that)...!  I did it without an epidural and with pitocin the first time up until calling it quits. I had an epidural the second time to lower my BP.  The transfer to the hospital was because of pre-E that time.  Did your babies drop?  Or not until late into labor?  None of mine even got to 0.  I had very conservative, supportive caregivers the first three times.  It just kills me that I haven't had a vaginal birth and I wish I had better support, but you wouldn't believe what I've gone through to find someone even halfway supportive this time around.

#8 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks!  The unknown has tormented me ever since the first C/S!  What if (this) or what if (that)...!  I did it without an epidural and with pitocin the first time up until calling it quits. I had an epidural the second time to lower my BP.  The transfer to the hospital was because of pre-E that time.  Did your babies drop?  Or not until late into labor?  None of mine even got to 0.  I had very conservative, supportive caregivers the first three times.  It just kills me that I haven't had a vaginal birth and I wish I had better support, but you wouldn't believe what I've gone through to find someone even halfway supportive this time around.

My second birth was in Romania and all I knew from what they would tell me is how many cm's dilated I was. Honestly, I didn't want any vaginal exams as they made me very uncomfortable, but they made me anyway. I'd have to say both my babies dropped considering I was successful with the vaginal births. I definitely think it took a long time for my first to drop though, just like it took a long time to dilate that time. They did AROM at 5-6 cm with my first and my water broke on it's own with my second at 3 cm approx. - don't know if that means anything? 

Upright positions allow for gravity to help - as previously stated. I don't know what positions you were in for your previous labors. The pre-E things sucks - my sis had that with her 31 weeker and had to deliver by C/S cuz of it.

You say your comfort level is in the hospital. - I'd avoid pitocin this time - as that causes much stronger contractions and I have read that just because they are stronger - doesn't make them more effective. Also pitocin as you probably already know - can increase risks with VBACs because of course the harder contractions may irritate the scar tissue far easier. Pitocin tends to make things very painful and may leave you begging for pain meds like an epidural. Epidural would force you on your back for the rest of your labor which would make gravity useless. Yeah, so anyway - try your best to do things naturally in a position that feels right, staying upright for sure during active labor - you may need to take some rest in early labor I know, though as soon as you feel ready it's good to be upright. I believe in you and I think it's up to you to be strong this time around. It sucks that you don't have more support but it is what it is. Try to be firm with your wishes to your doc and nurses. Probably put things in the birth plan like - I do not consent to pitocin, I do not consent to epidural unless medically necessary (C/S), freedom of movement, intermintent monitoring accord to ACOG standards. - etc. 

Might be wise to stay home as long as possible before going to the hospital and only go in if you feel something is going wrong or once you feel your contractions are really close together and more intense. Would prepare for "emergency" unassisted birth though, just so you won't panic if you all the sudden feel the urge to push while still at home or something. I don't know how far you are from the hospital. If it's a short distance away that'd be even better. There's a way to check your own dilation. Maybe do a search on MDC for it or on google. I personally will skip dilation checks but you may want to have an idea so you kinda know when to go to the hospital. HTH 

I still think it is very rare to actually be too small down there to deliver a baby. I don't know what the signs were according to them. If slow dilation was there only reasoning, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Anyway, best wishes and hold onto some hope. Whatever happens, just knowing you gave it your best shot will probably bring you some comfort. 

#9 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've given it my best shot twice (3rd time wasn't able) but it's still not comforting.  More than anything the fact that the babies never drop and heads show no sign of molding is what leads the doc to believe I may really have too big of babies for the opening.  I don't necessarily buy it.  I don't think that happens very often.  God designs us better than that. 

I was upright for the first labor, and half of the second until the epidural because of the pre-E.  My contractions were two minutes or less apart almost the whole time.  Only had pitocin with the first to see if it would help move things along.  Pitocin wouldn't be an option anyway because the doctor's biggest concern is that I may have 3 separate scars on my uterus which increases the chance for rupture.  He wouldn't do anything to induce or make contractions stronger. 

The only chance I have at all is to stay home as long as possible.  My DH jokes that this time we will have a homebirth, because I'll be afraid to go to the hospital too early!  A planned homebirth just isn't an option this time.  I may be able to find another "underground" midwife to assist me, but given the poor VBAC environment around here I'd be concerned that they would be hesitant to transfer to the hospital if needed.  My last midwife asked me not to name her and blacked out any identifying info on my prenatal records when she copied them for me to take to the hospital last time (when she dropped me.)  I'd also be afraid of being dropped again and out $4000 for nothing.

Considering I haven't been successful at a homebirth with support, I don't really feel comfortable going UC.  I never would have know about the pre-E the second time if the doctor weren't there.

These reasons are why I'm going to try to VBAC if I go before 40 weeks, but probably go in for a RCS if after 40 weeks.  It's kind of a deal with God--to give me the wisdom to know when to accept the intervention and not beat myself up about it.  I would feel completely different if I was somewhere where the environment was actually supportive for a VBAMC.  But when I have to fight sooo hard, it's just not the same.  I find in life that the road is not hard when I'm heading the right direction.  I've overcome a lot of obstacles in life and when I'm heading in the right direction, things line up.  Things may not be easy, but they line up.  Nothing is lining up in this situation.  IF I go into labor before 40 weeks then I will consider that lining up for a VBAC.  I know the odds are against me, but if anyone can do it in this environment I can.

Edit...

What would I need if I did accidentally have the baby at home though?  Since we've planned homebirth previously, I do still have a box of supplies with cord clamps and other things, but I have taken a few things out of there I think.  We have plently of old towels.  Anything major that we can't do without?

#10 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:

What would I need if I did accidentally have the baby at home though?  Since we've planned homebirth previously, I do still have a box of supplies with cord clamps and other things, but I have taken a few things out of there I think.  We have plently of old towels.  Anything major that we can't do without?

I recommend letting the cord stop pulsating before clamping and cutting. 

Things to have...

cord clamps 

scissors (sterilized of course)

the old towels 

postpartum pads (depends or some huge pads for afterbirth flow)

maybe a hat for baby

a bowl for the placenta (old mixing bowl or something)

maybe a bulb syringe (for sucking out the mouth and nose, if needed)

Can't really think of anything else since you'd only need the stuff if for some reason you waited too long to go to the hospital. 

#11 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Mine were 41+ weeks, 34 weeks and 43 weeks. I expect this one to go late, too.

I don't count my 34 weeker as "early": he's late. I know that seems silly, but babies with his condition never (not even ONCE in medical record) come past that point. In fact, 99% of them are born between 30-32 weeks... and 50% are born still with more and more born still the later they're carried. The fact that he was born at 34 weeks, two weeks "late" and was born alive was kind of amazing! So, yeah I consider him "late" as well. He also didn't look like a preemie: he was FAT!  ;) 

Remember that we all didn't get our periods at 12 years and two days... some babies and bodies just cook longer and there is nothing wrong or dangerous about that. Period!

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#12 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM

My first 2 were c/secs, 20 and 17yrs ago. First was for breech and 2nd was for failure to progress and cpd. I was induced with my 2nd at 39wks for fear that baby was getting too big. I had prostin gel to ripen my cervix the night before and pitocin the following morning. I labored hard for 20hrs but stalled out at 6cm for several hours and baby never dropped lower than -1 to -2. Ob said baby couldn't drop because my pelvis was too small. Infact he even told me he doubted I could have more than a 5lbs baby because of it. Those words hung like a cloud over me for the longest time. I really believed them. Here I was a labor/delivery nurse and I'd failed at the very thing that I believed was natural and witnessed other women doing every time I went in to work, although I did start noticing an alarming amount of scenarios that played out eerily similar to my 2nd birth. It was often the same. A mom would come in a week or two before her due date for fear that baby would be too big, would get induced before her body was ready, would receive one intervention after another, dilation would move slow or stall, and then a c/sec would follow. I remember one time walking into work and 8 out of the 10 babies in the nb nursery were c/sec babies. Something inside me told me that couldn't possibly be how God designed things. I started reading books on vbac, contacted ICAN, attended a vbac support group, and after hearing story after story of people who'd been through similar failed inductions and been told they had too small of a pelvis yet went on to have vaginal births often with a bigger baby I slowly started to believe there was hope for me too.

By the time I was pregnant with my 3rd four years later I decided a mw was my best shot. I ended having a 20hr long labor and stalled at 6cm for several hours again, I think about 12 to be exact. I feared the same thing was going to happen again, but my mws kept reassuring me and encouraged me to be patient and hang on. Eventually I turned the corner into transition and from there things moved quicker. I pushed for 1 1/2hrs but gave birth to a healthy 8lbs 10oz baby girl with no tearing.

All of my future labors since then have been much shorter(2-6hrs) and I never drop past -1 to -2 until I'm pushing my babies out. All of my future pushing phases have been less than 15min, one of those even being a footling breech! All of my vbac babies have weighed between 8lbs 2oz and 9lbs 2oz. So much for the 5lbs baby thing!

I just wanted to share all this with you to give you hope that just because you stalled at a certain point before and baby didn't drop DOES NOT mean you can't have a vaginal birth. I would encourage you to give your body till 41wks instead of 40 and stay home as long as you can. I will be praying that you get your much desired vbac this time!
dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#13 of 22 Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM

My first 4 came after their EDD, 2 came after 42w so it seems normal to me. Early for me would be 40w but I guess its possible for bub to come in the next few weeks and that would be very early to me!

I didn't have (notice) pre labour with my first 3. With #4 I had it for 5 days before he arrived. This time I have had pre labour since 30w so I am aware it could happen where I don't have the 43w gestation I am expecting.

#14 of 22 Old 04-01-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies!  I'll play it by ear and do what feels right to me.  I would have no doubts if my OB was super supportive, but I'm lucky he is marginally so.  He's already agreed not to schedule a C/S until 42 weeks.  He knows I want the baby to choose their birthday.  He also said if I show up to the hospital 6cm dilated that we'll go for it.  It's not ideal circumstances, but the best I could hope for within hours of where I live.

#15 of 22 Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 PM

#16 of 22 Old 04-04-2011, 01:58 PM

I kind of wonder if you have a rigid os more than a small pelvic outlet...seems odd that you would stall at more or less the same spot....I wouldnt even think youd get to a 6 without a  little apply pressure

not that this is about me but I stalled at right around 5 cm with my first for over 24 hrs....turns out she was posterior, she never turned and curiously had zero molding on her head born vaginally.... for the record, thats very unpleasant. I wont say I would have preferred a c-section..but it was incredibly unpleasant.

41w6d

my second shot right out, pit and she was early and only a 5.8 lber..no head moulding

pprom

35ish weeks, dates were weird

third, a 'textbook" labor, with pit 7.1 lbs....no head molding either, prom

37w

I'd try borage oil because there is some speculation it is more efficient than epo...Id work on softening the heck out of your cervix

epo doesnt do anything for me but give me hives :)

#17 of 22 Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM

I have my last 2 at 41 weeks. I'm really hoping this one comes earlier. I am so, so sick of this pregnancy.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#18 of 22 Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I had a similar experience with my first - a 72 hour labor. I went into labor on a Monday night, stayed home until Tuesday night, went in since I was puking and ctx were 5min apart, but only 2cm. I didn't hit 6cm until *thursday* night - so was 6cm at hour 69! But it was that check that they 'accidentally' broke my water (we had thought it had broken, but turns out it was just a big leak) and then Z came 3 hours later - I did have a long pushing time though, 90min, and was on my side since that was most comfortable. I think it took so long since my contractions were still weirdly spaced apart. But I went from 6cm to 10cm in like an hour! I also was put on pitocin that morning, and it didn't help that much.

I actually wish I had spent more of it laying down - I was trying to move things along and had a very 'active' labor - walking around, on the ball, birthing stool, etc. And didn't lie down at all. I wore myself out. They gave me a 5 hour morphine sleep in the middle of it so I could rest - which was great, since otherwise I don't think I'd have had the energy for pushing (and without an epidural)

in my case, part of it was the fact that he was coming down not posterior or anterior but in between (his back was on my right side) - that fixed itself wed night though, and I still didn't progress. Plus I had 'dysfunctional' ctx - 5min apart, not 'effective' - they didn't speed up right and I had weird aftershocks and skips in them. I also had a TON of amniotic fluid - I remember them telling me that at my 41wk appt - which I think kept him high up, not enough cervix pressure? They didn't want to break my water on purpose, but it was what ended up really moving things along.

I so hope this labor is faster!! even 2x faster would still be as long as the 'long' labor my mom complains about with me smile.gif

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#19 of 22 Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Seafox:

I bet you anything this labor for you, will be faster. I think it has a bit to do with the whole first time mom thing. I've read a lot of first timers take longer; though our 70 some hours experiences were pretty stinkin' long! :)

They ruptured my membranes when I was at 6 cm too. And before the pit my contractions were 5 mins apart. But, I also don't think the pit helped, just put me in more pain. I think the water breaking thing did actually help in my case too. 

With my second, my water broke naturally when I was like 4 cm and walking through the doors of the hospital, LOL.

#20 of 22 Old 04-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Seafox:

I bet you anything this labor for you, will be faster. I think it has a bit to do with the whole first time mom thing. I've read a lot of first timers take longer; though our 70 some hours experiences were pretty stinkin' long! :)

They ruptured my membranes when I was at 6 cm too. And before the pit my contractions were 5 mins apart. But, I also don't think the pit helped, just put me in more pain. I think the water breaking thing did actually help in my case too. 

With my second, my water broke naturally when I was like 4 cm and walking through the doors of the hospital, LOL.

I hope so! I don't think the mr. could handle another 4 day event like that smile.gif plus, with an almost-2-year old that we need my MIL to sit for, I'd rather not be away multiple nights! Ill try and stay home for longer this time, the throwing up thing really confused me, and made me feel like I was further along than I was. I couldn't even keep water down! So hopefully that also is a first-time mom thing but I've been super nauseous this whole pregnancy, so it might just be my reaction to the hormones or something.

sounds like our labors were really similar though! Its funny, they were suggesting pitocin for a while before I agreed - and my mom (kind of a doula in the 70's, so she's seen a ton of labors) was suggesting nipple stimulation as an alternative, and you can guess how desperate i was to move things along since I ended up with my mom fiddling with one and my husband fiddling with the other while we watched my ctx charts to see if that helped or not smile.gif

the pit I think did move my ctx a bit closer together though, so I do think it helped a bit - I was at 4cm from basically late tues night through to thursday AM, and when they started the pitocin then I got to 6 at least by thursday evening. But yeah, it didn't help as much as I thought it would (and for reference, nipple stimulation DOES work also, but they were getting so sore!) this time, I guess I could always just nurse my toddler smile.gif

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#21 of 22 Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my chance for a VBAMC may be gone now.  I fractured a rib yesterday and am in excruciating pain.  I don't know what to expect as far as how fast it will feel better, but I know a bone takes 3-6 weeks to heal.  My hope of going into labor early may not be useful now.  I can't imagine being in labor or pushing with pain like this.  Let's see how much better it can feel in the next few weeks.

#22 of 22 Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM

I wouldn't completely give up. Hopefully it'll feel better. I don't know if it be much more fun to be recovering from a C/S and a fractured rib at the same time? Just sayin. So, just leave your options open anyway is my personal recommendation. Sorry you are going through this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page