Hospital Bag - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-30-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The plan is to have this little one at the birth center at our local hospital. I have a list, checked it twice etc. I just finished doing the first packing and it just fit in my rolling carry on bag. But there is stuff that is not in there yet, including my DSLR camera, which is not small. We are planning on a short stay. One of the things on my to pack list is a very large tote bag to bring all the extra's home in. I was thinking I could put all the labour stuff in that and have the rolling bag for the post labour gear. Right now everything is in mesh packing cubes, labour, post labor me, post labour baby, and coming home with some clothes for my husband thrown in the bottom.

I was induced last time so it was easy to pack knowing exactly when we would be going and that we would both be able to carry stuff. This time I will more likely then not meet my husband at the hospital (I will take a cab) so I want to pack light. So how much is too much to carry?

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#2 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 AM

I'd just have a baby outfit, going home outfit, camera, breast pads, at least a couple of your preferred after birth pads, a couple diapers (more if you plan on using a special kind while in the hospital other than what is provided.) You may need another outfit to birth in or another outfit to hang out in the hospital in depending on your plans. 

Preferred toiletries if you don't like what they give you.

If packing for hubby, a couple outfits (one may be enough?) and toothbrush, etc.

They may require a car seat to leave the hospital? 

That should be enough I'd think? 

(Edit: woops, yeah, put a  few copies of your birth plan in there too. :) )

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 AM

Having a homebirth, but putting together a few things:

a. transfer bag - a change of clothes and travel toiletries, copy of healthcare proxy allowing DP to make medical decisions, birth plan (even though hospitals never read them), list of important phone numbers, extra cell charger, and my point 'n' shoot camera (in case we can't or forget to grab the DSLR)

b1. box with all the labor/delivery supplies (accumulating gradually)

b2. box of baby diapers/clothes/blankets

b3. box of post-partum mama stuff (cloth pads, cool pads [in freezer], witch hazel, lasinoh, maybe a kimono robe/nightgown or something, etc.) - perhaps have this sitting in the transfer bag just in case?

b4. pumping supplies (don't know how long it will be before I USE the pump instead the actual breast, but definitely want to have on hand BEFORE kiddo gets here)

c. pre-charged extra batteries and memory cards for the DSLRs (I'm a photog, so we're going to mount one, maybe two on a tripod with a remote, have at least one more handy to just grab when the mood strikes, since DP and the midwife have great eyes for good shots)

d. stash of celebratory drinks for post-birth - special reserve whiskey on the rocks for me, dirty martini for the midwife, probably a REALLY NICE cigar for DP (I have a friend in the cigar business). This may sound silly, I know, but we like to plan ahead for these things - lol!

#4 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

d. stash of celebratory drinks for post-birth - special reserve whiskey on the rocks for me, dirty martini for the midwife, probably a REALLY NICE cigar for DP (I have a friend in the cigar business). This may sound silly, I know, but we like to plan ahead for these things - lol!

love this!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#5 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM

Punk Elmo - sounds cool but I think that's a bit too much stuff if you plan to bring it all in the case of a transfer? :)

Also, OP is probably taking a cab to the hospital so less is best. Some neat ideas to pick from though.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#6 of 24 Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM

Oh, no, the only thing that comes with me in the event of a transfer is that "transfer bag,"  a DSLR if we can/remember to grab it, and perhaps some of the post-partum mama-care items... I figure a hospital has pads, diapers, swaddling blankets, etc (even though they won't be the cloth pads/diapers we want or the clothes we want, If I transfer, the "stuff" will be the LEAST of my worries - the paperwork in the transfer bag is probably the MOST important thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

Punk Elmo - sounds cool but I think that's a bit too much stuff if you plan to bring it all in the case of a transfer? :)

#7 of 24 Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm planning:

Going home outfit for baby

Car seat (won't be allowed to take baby home without it!)

Camera

Phone

Toiletries

Blankets for baby (2-3 since it may still be chilly here in WI by the time she's due - heck we are still getting SNOW here!)

Slippers

Possibly bathrobe

Busy toys for DS

Whatever DH will need (we are all rooming together until baby and I go home, so probably packing for a 2-3 day stay)

Diapers

Cell phone charger

Pads for post-partum

Gift for big brother, so he doesn't feel left out of the celebration

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, too... half of this is already packed.

#8 of 24 Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post

(we are all rooming together until baby and I go home, so probably packing for a 2-3 day stay)

When you say we are all, do you mean all four of you? If so, you might want to clear that with the hospital. All of the hospitals here only allow baby and an adult visitor (husband, partner, grandmother, friend, whatever) to stay. No children overnight.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#9 of 24 Old 04-02-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

I packed my bag using mesh packing cubes.

Labour

toiletries kit

swimsuit and T-shirt for Husband

junk nursing tank for me

good camera

small water bottle

snacks including ginger mints

Post Labour

2 pairs of PJ pants, 2 tank tops, nursing sleep bra, light robe (it felt so good to me in my own comfortable clothes rather than a hospital gown last time)

grundy knickers (just in case I want them)

compression socks (I had to walk home from the car in January snow in two pairs of hospital socks with my son because me feet swelled so much)

laundry bag

double wet bag with cloth diaper kit, 7th gen disposables (the smell of pampers makes me a little sick) and a little shirt and hat

Baby nail clippers

total change of clothes for husband.

Coming Home

outfit for me, complete with sandals

two coming home outfits for baby (blue and pink based) and blanket

the car seat will live in the trunk of our pastor who will drive us home

also paperwork is in the bag along with chargers etc.

#10 of 24 Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post

When you say we are all, do you mean all four of you? If so, you might want to clear that with the hospital. All of the hospitals here only allow baby and an adult visitor (husband, partner, grandmother, friend, whatever) to stay. No children overnight.

I mean me, DS and DH and baby, yes. And it's already been cleared. :) They said they'd move me to another nearby ward if they were short rooms, but it was fine and they had room for us all to stay, which is good because it's 35 miles one way to the hospital from home and there's no way they could commute daily to spend that much needed family time with baby and I.

If they didn't allow my son overnight I'd have to go elsewhere. I'm not shipping my eldest off somewhere when he needs to be reassured that he still has a place in the family unit. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about it. They said they'd have sleeping provisions for everyone for when the time came.

#11 of 24 Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM

^ that's neat. I honestly have never heard of a hospital allowing that before.

#12 of 24 Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Wow, that's awesome that your other child can room in with you, gummibears!  I wish that were an option here...it would make a huge difference in my outlook on a hospital birth if we end up transferring/having to attempt breech in hospital. 

#13 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:

^ that's neat. I honestly have never heard of a hospital allowing that before.

Honestly, I can't see how they can't allow it. How bad would an older sibling feel being pushed off elsewhere when they should spend bonding time with their sibling and parents? To me that's all kinds of wrong and I wouldn't allow it.

I called back in my first trimester to ask about this and confirmed it again in person during the hospital tour. Guess we got lucky, but then again the rooms here are quite large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

Wow, that's awesome that your other child can room in with you, gummibears!  I wish that were an option here...it would make a huge difference in my outlook on a hospital birth if we end up transferring/having to attempt breech in hospital. 

I can understand that. I couldn't do a homebirth, though if I wanted to due to the hospital being 35 miles away. Traffic, 2-lane roads the whole way, and all and it could be real ugly if anything bad happened. So, I'm glad they allow it because there's not many places I can choose from around here to go to in the hopes that they'd allow it. If they didn't I'd be all upset and not enjoy the birth of my child because I'd be too worried what my eldest was thinking when he was left out of the family bonding. 

It's just wrong. You get but a few days with kids off school and DH home from work to bond before you go home and resume life as it was... sorta. You should be allowed those days together 24/7 to assure the younger children that they haven't been pushed out and viewed as less important.

#14 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM

I agree with you but I've heard of the older siblings not even being allowed to visit because of some worry about the flu or something? Sounded pretty ridiculous to me and I would not be happy about it one bit. 

#15 of 24 Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:

I agree with you but I've heard of the older siblings not even being allowed to visit because of some worry about the flu or something? Sounded pretty ridiculous to me and I would not be happy about it one bit. 

Is that why? I did see inthe handbook that no one sick should be allowed in the room, wash hands like mad etc, but it's not a rule so much as advice, I think. I'm not terribly worried as I'll be breastfeeding and she'll get antibodies to protect her that way. But yes, if that's why, it's just plain sad that the siblings are shoved aside for such a silly thing. Thankfully, I'm due closer to summer when the weather is warmer and illnesses are at a minimum. :)

#16 of 24 Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM

My main item to bring is More Sweatpants Than Last Time, and More Underwear.

I ran out of clothes and ended up stuck in the hospital gown longer than I wanted. I'm fairly broke, but contemplating charging a couple of new pairs of yoga pants in size XL, so I have something at the hospital and something to wear when I get home without having to do laundry in the first day.

I'm good with DD not rooming in. She can spend nights at home w/DH, and days with the sitter that she enjoys anyway... should only be 2 days, and she can visit for like 6 hours a day w/DH. I don't see it at all as her being pushed out; I see it as me having the only break from caring for 2 children that I'll get for many years. It will also be the only time that the new baby is an 'only,' and can get my full attention.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#17 of 24 Old 04-25-2011, 01:39 PM

I'm finally getting around to packing my bag--or at least making a checklist of stuff to pack!  Since I've been having contraction consistently (but not strong) since yesterday and I'm 39 weeks tomorrow, I figured I better get with it.  I still don't think I'm going to go at any minute or anything. I've got to get a checklist of stuff we need to pack for the kids to go to Grandma's too.  I guess we better stay on top of the laundry!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#18 of 24 Old 04-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post

I guess we better stay on top of the laundry!

I hear you!  We are packing for a week for the whole family, so it feels silly to try to pack ahead of time, but then it feels silly to leave it till the last minute.  I don't want clothes to be out of commission for up to two weeks waiting for me to go into labour!  I think I'm going to make a list of what I need to pack, and then pack our bags while I'm waiting for DH to come home from work to leave for the birth, and/or while we wait (it shouldn't be a long wait) for my parents to arrive to watch the kids.  It'll give me something to do to keep busy and on my feet while I wait (or it will stress me out...hopefully the former!)

#19 of 24 Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM

glad someone started this thread.  this is next on my to-do list.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#20 of 24 Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Here is my list as of right now

Hospital bag

3 pair underwear

2 nursing bras

3 tanks

1 pair sweats

1 skirt

Clothes for Mark (underwear, shirt, shorts)

bikini top

squishy ball for hands

lavender lotion

hairbands

shampoo/conditioner/body wash

toothbrush/toothpaste

hairbrush, hairdryer, straightener 

overnight pads

lip chap

camera

camera charger

copy of birth plan x2

cell phone

cell phone charger

bathing suit for Mark

snacks 

Baby bag

cloth diapers (10 GMD, 3 covers, 1 snappi, 2 KL0)

3 baby outfits

1 baby hat

wetbag

Stuff to leave in CAR 

breast pump

pillow from home x2

boppy pillow 

2 extra blankets 

cooler with ziplock for placenta

#21 of 24 Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM

my bag's only for an emergency xfer, but packing it nonetheless... tossing items in when I think about it - last night tossed in 2 cloth postpartum pads and lasinoh, started charging up my ipod shuffle (it hasn't been used in over a year) and looked around for a spare phone charger to toss in the bag.

#22 of 24 Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM

i was told by the hospital to have one bag for things i'll need during labor and one postpartum bag (and to leave the postpartum bag in the car until i need it).  is anyone else doing this?  it seems like more work.  what are they gonna do, check my bag?

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#23 of 24 Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

i was told by the hospital to have one bag for things i'll need during labor and one postpartum bag (and to leave the postpartum bag in the car until i need it).  is anyone else doing this?  it seems like more work.  what are they gonna do, check my bag?

i agree, it does make more work having to separate stuff out. i'm just bringing one bag.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#24 of 24 Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I though I would update my list with what I actually used. We were in the hospital for just under three hours before baby came and then less than 12 hours after.

Quote:
Labour

toiletries kit

swimsuit and T-shirt for Husband

junk nursing tank for me Wore in tub, worked great

good camera Should have reviewed with husband how to use it

small water bottle They brought me ice water right away

snacks including ginger mints

Post Labour

2 pairs of PJ pants, 2 tank tops, nursing sleep bra, light robe (it felt so good to me in my own comfortable clothes rather than a hospital gown last time) Wore one set with the robe. Much better to be in your own clothes.

grundy knickers (just in case I want them) I just did the mesh knickers and the giant diaper pads

compression socks (I had to walk home from the car in January snow in two pairs of hospital socks with my son because me feet swelled so much)

laundry bag Should have had it with labour stuff for my street clothes

double wet bag with cloth diaper kit, 7th gen disposables (the smell of pampers makes me a little sick) and a little shirt and hat Wonderful to have her in our own things. The diapers were super easy. I could have added our own blanket, but theirs were fine

Baby nail clippers Must bring, I clipped all the fingers, all the toes, then the fingers I missed to keep us both from getting scratched

total change of clothes for husband. He had a shower and changed and was glad for them, even though he did not get messy during birth.

Coming Home

outfit for me, complete with sandals

two coming home outfits for baby (blue and pink based) and blanket

the car seat will live in the trunk of our pastor who will drive us home

also paperwork is in the bag along with chargers etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page