What are you wearing to your birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I scared a young man today at the pacific sunwear store at the mall, heh. I went in and was looking for some bikini tops. Their XL wasn't XL enough for my endowement so I was inquiring about the different brands there and coverage. I want cute but not constrictive, attractive but not ultra-conservative. I KNOW the 'style' is to be a little riske on the cleavage thing at Pac-Sun and not cover the whole caboodle, but I need support, man!

I explained to him I LOVE my bathingsuit I have now (got it at Target) but... it has little beads on it and I will be birthing in it in a tub in a few weeks. Beads are not newborn face friendly. His face went into a few shades of white.

Im pretty sure he's NEVER had that customer issue before. :P

But I AM in Oregon, and bathingsuits are not only typicaly not worn until LATE summer when the sun actually comes OUT, but also I have found people here tend to either avoid bikinis and/or cover the entirety of themselves over their suit. It's a good thing I usually dont mind being the huge blimp out there in a bikini while everyone else is covered with hats, capris, and pale white skin. I need my Vitamin D. And given the fact I abhore pregnancy swimsuits, my preggo bikini body tends to make other people feel a little more confident about their own physique and clothes DO start coming off.

So.... now that I have found the caboose for this runaway train- have you considered what you want to birth in or are you just gunna' fling it all off and throw modesty out the window when the pushing hour arrives? :D I also have this cute white babydoll nightgown for if I decide to walk during my labor, but I'm figuring it will be more or less a drivethrough event and I actually want to stall the last bit to allow my body to stretch so I dont have a bullet baby.

This was my suit for Emmalia's birth dbfec35a_Picture16.png

-Jyn, Blessed mom of Abbie ('99), Gracie ('00), AngelBaby ('01), Danny ('02), Jacob ('03), Eva Bella ('06), Angel-Baby2 ('07), Emmalia ('09), Justus John Mark ('11), Jude Ellias Due 7-16-13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM

I was just thinking about this. I find clothing annoying at the best of times and I have heard that skin gets really sensitive during childbirth, so I have a feeling I am going to end up being nudist. I was thinking about getting something really simple in a nightgown type thing in case I want to stagger around outside the actual birth room, but I am loathe to spend money on something that might get demolished by ickyness.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#3 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm probably gonna just wear a simple nightgown to the hospital. I refuse to change into those dreaded hospital gowns.

Jynuine likes this.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm planning on wearing a loose old night gown (just a longer cotton t-shirt really) just so I can stay somewhat covered as I don't typically like to have everything hanging out. It's not too long and I think it won't get in the way at "show time." LOL

I bought another night gown on clearance that has buttons going low down the center top - (thought that'd be good for breastfeeding.) I'm not hugely attached to it and considered it might work fine as an after the birth is over thing that I could potentially ruin and not cry over. 

I am a land birther. Can't imagine being in water. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 PM

I have a jersey skirt from Old Navy and a couple of tank tops that I plan on wearing.  I ended up naked at my last birth, but I'm having a photographer this time and I really have no desire to have my nakedness preserved for posterity.  LOL

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#6 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM

^ partly my thinking too. Hubby might be taking pics (something he loves to do) and I don't really feel like being naked in them. LOL

Jynuine likes this.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#7 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 PM

I've been naked at my last two births but this time, I'm thinking I'd like to have something on...

I've been thinking about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Pushers-Disposable-Delivery-Labor/dp/B002OFVEWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301534658&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Pushers-Organic-Cotton-Delivery/dp/B0033G9GU8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301534658&sr=8-2 

http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Pushers-Disposable-Delivery-Coffee/dp/B002L2OI5I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1301534658&sr=8-8

I'm having a home birth so I don't need spots for things to go...but I would really like to have something on this time.

#8 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM

With DD1 I wore a big oversized t-shirt that was from my first cycling century ride (to remind myself what I could do :) with my Marvin the Martian boxer shorts.  He's my fave character.   I arrived at the hospital and DD1 was born 10 mins later so there was no push to change.  DD2 was a home birth and I went from not being sure I was really in labor, to water breaking to DD2 arriving 20 mins later.  I honestly have no idea what I wore- LOL.  This will be a hospital birth again and I am hoping to have the time to change into a long t-shirt and boxers again.  I really hate hospital gowns or anything that might make me feel like I am some diseased patient.

#9 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 PM

With my first, I wore a tie dye tank top and my regular bra. I had ratty old PJ pants on that were great for walking the halls, but were done once my water broke. I washed them and wore them again until my lochia was done, then tossed them (they were dead at that point). I had very little idea about what I would want specifically at birth, but I knew I did not want to me naked. I just packed my hospital bag today. The birth center has a tub for water birth, which may or may not be my thing. I have a grubby nursing tank top (I like having bra-ish support for my ladies) for labour with some back up tank tops (including the one from my son's birth) and a Majamas sleep bra.

I wore the hospital gown after my son was born for only a few hours, but it just was not as comfortable as real clothes.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#10 of 26 Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 PM

I just ordered the sushi Pretty Pushers gown!  Thanks for the link!

#11 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 AM

Oh, I love the Pretty Pushers gowns! I can see I'm gonna have to beg DH for one!!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#12 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 AM

I picked up a little skirt at Old Navy on sale the other day, it's just t-shirt material and really stretchy (I tried it on over my jeans in the middle of the maternity section, LOL!).  Not sure what I'm doing for a top, I would like something that's easy to open up/strip off as soon as baby is out, so we can be skin to skin.  Last time after I got out of the tub (too small to birth in, and situation will be the same this time around) I put on a regular 3/4 sleeve soft cotton maternity t-shirt and didn't bother putting anything back on from the waist down.  So despite planning an outfit, I might end up naked or partially so when the actual moment of birth arrives :)

#13 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 AM

I guess it depends. I have plenty of bikinis so I will wear on e of those if I water birth. Still havent' gotten around to gettingthe tub yet though. If not I will probably wear a new nightgown type thing. I want something pretty that I could use for home or hospital birth since I still haven't decided which I am having.

I am definitely getting some soft warm PJs though, especially in case I go to the hospital, for after the birth. I want to be comfy and not cold!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#14 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 AM

I love those pp gowns too, but I am probably not going to buy anything for labor.  Last time I just wore the black skirt that I lived in for the last month of pg- stretchy with a huge lose fold-over top- and a big t-shirt.  Once we got to the birth center I lasted about 5 min and I was naked and stayed that way in the tub through pushing and birthing back out of the tub.  Our doula tooks pics which were not altogether flattering, but oh well birthing isn't supposed to be sexy, right?

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#15 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM

I'm thinking a birthday suit for the birth... maybe a sports bra or tank top, depending on temp/breeze and how saggy my boobs are feeling that day (oh, how I miss my pre-pregnancy teeny tight firm boobs)... really I don't care if any bra/tank I own gets wet or dirty, I'm more concerned about comfort.

I'm actually looking at one of the pretty pushers gowns or something like that (a kimono? I don't know?) for AFTER the birth.  I want to have a super-comfy clean, new outfit ready to go.  I usually wear pajama pants and tees/tanks to bed, but I'm told I probably won't be too interested in pants right after I give birth - lol, so some kind of gown/robe, pre-washed and stashed in the "transfer bag" for safekeeping is ideal.

#16 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM

I haven't really thought about it but I assume I'll be naked and in the shower most of the time and when I'm not there I'll have on some old pjs. I have an old swim suit cover that's pretty long and I don't really care if that gets ruined, so I'll probably wear that once I start pushing but change into something more breastfeeding friendly after baby is born. I'm surprised at how many people already have their bags packed. My EDD is May 2nd and I haven't even thought of putting a bag together yet.

#17 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

but I am loathe to spend money on something that might get demolished by ickyness.

If it's white... you can toss it in the wash with half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and the blood will come off. :) Im stocking up with white towels at home here for 'emergency' purposes for that reason. I explained to my older girls that if I go into labor and my water breaks at home... Im not going ANYWHERE. Im getting in the tub and having a baby. It will only be 5 minutes anyway, and I refuse to have a baby in the car on the side of the road or on the floor of the ER.

But blood does come out! Also, check out Totally Toddler. It's FANTASTIC. I love it- gets blood, urine, poop, spit up out of EVERYTHING and smells like baby powder.

-Jyn, Blessed mom of Abbie ('99), Gracie ('00), AngelBaby ('01), Danny ('02), Jacob ('03), Eva Bella ('06), Angel-Baby2 ('07), Emmalia ('09), Justus John Mark ('11), Jude Ellias Due 7-16-13

#18 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I am a land birther. Can't imagine being in water. 

Absolutely! Ive had 4 land births, one water labor that WOULD have been a waterbirth had I not been dragged out due to hospital policy, and 1 full waterbirth. Im a waterbaby. I take 1-2 baths a day ANYWAY and so for me, it's a HUGE comfort. :) I have explained to my first time waterbirthing moms who I've doula-ed to not set their birth plan that they are ABSOLUTELY going to birth in the water and that some moms find that it's not as comfortable as they were expecting ... for them. All labors are different.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

#19 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camprunner View Post

I've been naked at my last two births but this time, I'm thinking I'd like to have something on...

I've been thinking about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Pushers-Disposable-Delivery-Labor/dp/B002OFVEWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301534658&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Pushers-Organic-Cotton-Delivery/dp/B0033G9GU8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301534658&sr=8-2 

http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Pushers-Disposable-Delivery-Coffee/dp/B002L2OI5I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1301534658&sr=8-8

I'm having a home birth so I don't need spots for things to go...but I would really like to have something on this time.

WOW Those are SO pretty!!! I am thinking I might want to make one now!!! HAHAHA! Thanks for the links!

#20 of 26 Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 PM

I bought a pretty pusher gown (as the hospital requires that you have certain openings just in case of complications) and I have a kimono style housecoat in addition in case it's cold, or I feel like walking in the hallways or something. The birthing center I'm going to has showers in each of the rooms, so I'll just jump in and out of the gown. :)

#21 of 26 Old 04-01-2011, 05:18 AM

What about just going with a sports bra & a sarong of some type?  I'm not comfortable being totally exposed either so this allowed me to be covered but accessable & it wasn't too bulky when hopping in & out of the tub/shower.

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#22 of 26 Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i have no idea what i'm going to want to wear. at this point in pregnancy i am changing like 5-10 times a day as it is. then again i'm birthing at home so i'll have all my options available.

mama to 8 year old h  and 3 year old z

#23 of 26 Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 PM

I got my Pretty Pushers gown today - it's really comfortable, but so not flattering.  LOL  Ah well, nothing I wear is going to be flattering on me at this weight.  

Jynuine likes this.

#24 of 26 Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 PM

I hadn't decided. I know whatever I wear will be in the way as right after birth I want to hold her skin to skin to nurse... so any top will be in the way. However, I'm not sure how I feel about 100% nude either and I have nothing at all to wear. I don't have any bathing suits that would work and I don't generally have any night gowns that fit and buying one just to labor in isn't really in the budget.

Planning a first-time water birth, so kinda clueless on this one. :(

#25 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummibears View Post

I hadn't decided. I know whatever I wear will be in the way as right after birth I want to hold her skin to skin to nurse... so any top will be in the way. However, I'm not sure how I feel about 100% nude either and I have nothing at all to wear. I don't have any bathing suits that would work and I don't generally have any night gowns that fit and buying one just to labor in isn't really in the budget.

Planning a first-time water birth, so kinda clueless on this one. :(

Hmm, I'd probably get a sports bra or bathing suit top for the birth if you can. Might even be able to find one at a thrift shop if need be. 

#26 of 26 Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well, one thing I will consider are these things:

1. For waterbirths, you may get in and out of the tub. Sometimes it feels good to be in the tub and if things sort of settle down for you, getting out helps to speed them up again. Taking a nice little stroll and then coming back and getting in can help, so you want something that can get wet but that can either be easily removed and put back on.
  2. Your bottoms should be easily removeable. When you need to be checked (if doing so routinely throughout labor) and when transition happens and you start pushing, the bottoms you are wearing should be easy to remove. If you are not planning on a waterbirth, your membranes can rupture/be ruptured at any point and after this you tend to gush fluid and or blood, so up and walking around you will want to have on some undergarment and a pad. For a waterbirth this can be as simple as having a string bikini bottom to untie from either side. P.S. Faux-string bikinis dont work. I know this from experience. The strings should actually be a part of what undoes the bottom and not just for looks, lol!
  3. Steer clear of clothing with poky embelishments. Again, from experience- my bikini, for example, had little golden beads on it. Quite poky and scratchy for a newborn to rest against. So soft fabric is great.
  4. Clothing may get blood/juices on it. You might get stuff on your clothing you are birthing in. The chances are quite high, but know that this is not the end of the world- if it's comfortable to wear, wear it. You can wash it easily in a peroxide mixture that wont ruin it and/or other oxy agent that gets bodily fluids out of things. Bathingsuits are good for this as they are meant to get wet stuff on them and be washed frequently.
  5. If you are recording the birth- you may want to view it later and even show people. If this is the case, you might want to err on the side of something comfortable yet a little more decent and you can always throw caution into the wind and strip later if it's more comfortable. I frequently show my birth videos to friends and first time moms who are afraid of the experience. My first natural birth I was all tan from a summer pregnancy with bright triangle white D boobs bouncing all over and full of grins. Amusing for me but... as educational the video is, I'm much more inclined to NOT share that one. It's always nice to prepare, even if you may not know exactly how you feel about sharing such a private event initially.

Hopefully this helps some!!! If anyone knows of other tips, feel free to add....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page