Posterior Baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After looking at SpinningBabies (which was ultra confusing, btw!), I'm pretty sure my baby is posterior. Anyone else? Is this something to worry about at 34 weeks? Know any tips to get him to rotate, and should I be trying to get him to rotate? I don't want to make things worse.

Thanks.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#2 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 05:03 PM

I got one of my babies to turn from posterior at 36 weeks after scrubbing the kitchen floor on my hands and knees. She ended up staying anterior till delivery.

My last baby was mostly posterior the whole end of the pregnancy. I could occasionally get him to flip ROA by sitting forward on my birth ball or crawling around on hands and knees, but invariably he'd rotate right back to posterior the next day. He was posterior all through the 6 hour labor and then turned anterior as I was pushing him out which lasted about 10min and wasn't hard as far as pushing goes.

It's not something I worry too much about honestly. I try to sit in good positions(leaning forward) and am avoiding the recliner like the plague, but other than that I figure baby will figure it all out when it's time. So far this one likes to flip back and forth from posterior to LOA, almost never ROA maybe because my placenta is on that side.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#3 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 PM

If it makes you feel any better, my baby is not yet vertex (or at least not consistently).  I know a little while ago she was for sure transverse (like 20 minutes ago) 'cause I had a head pushing on one side of my belly and a butt on the other side.  I'm also 34 weeks... trying not to stress about it but I do try to do some of the "poses" suggested on spinningbabies.com to encourage her to turn vertex.  I am considering finding a Chiropractor that can do the Webster technique to see if that helps.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#4 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Babies will turn posterior and anterior all the way through until well into labour, they'll always have room for that. :) FWIW I've had three posterior labours and I really don't see what the big deal is. They each were different in their own way.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#5 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM

OH! And also it's worth noting that almost 100% of babies that are posterior when labour starts will be born anterior. They almost always turn during labour. :) Cool, huh?

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#6 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 PM

I have an anterior placenta so was really stressing about this baby being posterior.  Honestly my last pregnancy- DD2 was in LOA position from 32 weeks on and never turned.  DD1 was more like this baby and one minute posterior, next minute right side, next minute left side.  I was beginning to go a bit nutty trying to see the exact position but honestly this baby is just too darn active he/she is vertex but in no way settled on a fave position yet. 

#7 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 AM

babies have to rotate as they pass through the pelvis... it's a matter of which way they turn at that point (they start off sideways, then turn either forward or back, in order to fit)... we actually just covered this in my birthing class on Wednesday.  The midwife teaching said that 'back labor' is waaaay overly diagnosed.  We say "oh, you had back labor?  baby must have been facing the wrong way!"  We look for explanations for everything that we see as abnormal.  I don't know how true what she said is, but the physiology of the pelvis and the baby's movements during labor do at least support some of what she was saying.

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#8 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 02:31 PM

all mine have been posterior position and i know that at least my last 2 came out in that position i haven't a clue what position this little man is as mw doesn't check till 36 weeks

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#9 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 09:49 PM

I'm not sure if she's posterior or not. I know DS was born that way and that explains LOADS about the birth I had with him. O_o. I asked midwife if there's anything to do to prevent it. She said nothing right now, but at 36 weeks on I should get on all 4's 2x a day for 10 mins which should open up pelvis (I think that's what she said) and allow room for her to move into a better position should she be in the wrong direction. That's coming up pretty soon, so might ask at my apt next Tues (35 weeks) about that more in detail.

#10 of 11 Old 04-02-2011, 02:10 PM

My last 3 babies were posterior entire pregnancy thanks to anterior placentas.  All turned either right before labor, during labor, or during delivery.  No backlabor really at all.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#11 of 11 Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMamaBeth View Post

If it makes you feel any better, my baby is not yet vertex (or at least not consistently).  I know a little while ago she was for sure transverse (like 20 minutes ago) 'cause I had a head pushing on one side of my belly and a butt on the other side.  I'm also 34 weeks... trying not to stress about it but I do try to do some of the "poses" suggested on spinningbabies.com to encourage her to turn vertex.  I am considering finding a Chiropractor that can do the Webster technique to see if that helps.

Same here!  This little one is moving from breech to transverse to vertex and back again almost daily it seems.  Mostly I can tell due to the location of hiccups which is happening daily as well.  I wish he would just settle head down so I could be more comfortable...as it is he is floating high and I can't breathe well.

I wouldn't worry, baby will turn the right way for birthingsmile.gif

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page