cervix checkers - Mothering Forums
1 2  3 
May 2011 > cervix checkers
lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 11:36 AM 04-01-2011

curious for those who check their own cervix what it feels like at this stage.  I'm 33 weeks, it's high but I can reach it with 2 fingers, closed, as soft as the rest of the vaginal wall.  Posterior.  Feels like it's 1/2 cm long.  No one else is sticking their hands up their so I'm relying on my own knowledge to figure out what's going on..not that it predicts anything.  And yes I know proper hygiene.

becca_howell's Avatar becca_howell 11:47 AM 04-01-2011

About the same. Very high. Didn't have much time to check this morning. May try later.

LacieD's Avatar LacieD 01:51 PM 04-01-2011

Mine is soft, high, and open about 2 fingers wide.  

Jynuine's Avatar Jynuine 05:19 PM 04-01-2011

Mine is soft and a tad effaced- Im probably about 1 cent dilated but that could be normal for me.

Have you ever checked out mybeautifulcrevix.com? It is a site a doula and midwife in training (I THINK she is a midwife now... cant remember) started by tracking pictures of her own cervix at different times of the month. Other people contribute now.

onlyAngil's Avatar onlyAngil 10:50 PM 04-01-2011

I tried... but was unable to find it! :( Any tips?

Very odd to me because it is always right there when I "poke" for charting! LOL

Nutter's Avatar Nutter 09:15 AM 04-02-2011
Pre-pregnancy I could always reach my cervix. Now though I can barely reach it. From what I can tell, it feels about the same as when I checked it in my second trimester.
lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 09:17 AM 04-02-2011

Interesting yesterday I checked it again, and I realized I had to go around the baby's head to get to it, so it's definately posterior. 

lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 01:38 PM 04-02-2011

When you are dilated, I remember my midwives saying they felt the head (previous pregnancies).  Wouldn't you just feel mucous with the plug still being there?  Or the amniotic sac?  Or can you feel through those?  Curious..

littleteapot's Avatar littleteapot 03:50 PM 04-02-2011

Mine is very soft, short and a full wide open 2-3cm. No funnel at all: I can stick a finger straight through with almost enough tostretch for 2 fingers.

penstamon's Avatar penstamon 04:04 PM 04-02-2011

I can't find mine.  It is way up high and I didn't fish around too much.  I did realize how low the baby's head really is though because I could feel the head on the side of the vaginal wall.  This babe is so low for 33+w!

lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 04:07 PM 04-02-2011

what do you mean by no funnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

Mine is very soft, short and a full wide open 2-3cm. No funnel at all: I can stick a finger straight through with almost enough tostretch for 2 fingers.

littleteapot's Avatar littleteapot 08:47 PM 04-02-2011

When your cervix is dilating, it has a funnel-like effect at first where the bottom part of it is more open than the top part. As you efface, and your cervix becomes thinner, this effect gradually disappears. When you're 100% effaced there's no "funnel" anymore: your cervix is practically paper thin. Mine's about 50% effaced or so, but my dilation goes straight through. Usually when you start to dilate before labour you'll be closed at the top, but open at the bottom.

sharita's Avatar sharita 01:00 PM 04-03-2011

started checking mine around 38 39 weeks because curiosity got the better of me.  Then I started checking it too often I think.  Like every other day or anytime I felt crampy.  I even stripped my own membranes with steril gloved fingers coated in evening primrose oil. 

I woke up 40 weeks 3 days with a leak, then a gush a few hours later.  Labor didn't start for 36 hours.  I believe all the checking contributed to my PROM.  Or the membrane stripping. 

I wouldn't say checking is a bad thing I myself just got way too curious and over did it only to learn one thing:  I don't believe (especially in subsequent births) that cervical status is any real indication of labor readiness unless you are over 4 cm or something, lol.  At least for me, that is.  I stayed 3 for weeks with one of my pregnancies and swore I was slowly dilating more.  However, it wasn't until I woke up with actual contractions one morning and thought it was stomach trouble and decided to do a check (a few pregnancies ago) and found a tight bag with a head behind it that I knew for ssure.  I was about 4-5 cm then.

I am all for knowing ones own body and think its cool to be able to access these things.  I just have to not let my curiosity get the better of me this time.  Had I been having a hospital birth, they would have never let me go 36 hours without a single intervention after my water broke. 

As for the labor, it was awesome though.  Once the contractions did start, two hours and two pushes later, he was here!!!

I know I will check again this time but wont strip my membranes and will be careful not to check too much but just go by other signs.  However when you have as much prodromal labor as I do, those signs lie!!!!

lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 01:27 PM 04-03-2011

I won't strip my own membranes, good tip ;)

L&K'smommie's Avatar L&K'smommie 05:59 PM 04-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharita View Post

started checking mine around 38 39 weeks because curiosity got the better of me.  Then I started checking it too often I think.  Like every other day or anytime I felt crampy.  I even stripped my own membranes with steril gloved fingers coated in evening primrose oil. 

I woke up 40 weeks 3 days with a leak, then a gush a few hours later.  Labor didn't start for 36 hours.  I believe all the checking contributed to my PROM.  Or the membrane stripping. 

I wouldn't say checking is a bad thing I myself just got way too curious and over did it only to learn one thing:  I don't believe (especially in subsequent births) that cervical status is any real indication of labor readiness unless you are over 4 cm or something, lol.  At least for me, that is.  I stayed 3 for weeks with one of my pregnancies and swore I was slowly dilating more.  However, it wasn't until I woke up with actual contractions one morning and thought it was stomach trouble and decided to do a check (a few pregnancies ago) and found a tight bag with a head behind it that I knew for ssure.  I was about 4-5 cm then.

I am all for knowing ones own body and think its cool to be able to access these things.  I just have to not let my curiosity get the better of me this time.  Had I been having a hospital birth, they would have never let me go 36 hours without a single intervention after my water broke. 

As for the labor, it was awesome though.  Once the contractions did start, two hours and two pushes later, he was here!!!

I know I will check again this time but wont strip my membranes and will be careful not to check too much but just go by other signs.  However when you have as much prodromal labor as I do, those signs lie!!!!

This is very true...even for FTM's.  With my 2nd I was 5cm dilated for a week(was 3cm all ready at 36 weeks) before he decided to be born on his due date.

That said, I have checked my cervix all ready and it's still so high I can hardly reach it...but this baby is still very high as well.

SallyNichole's Avatar SallyNichole 10:48 AM 04-04-2011

Want to know how to freak out a first time dad?

text him that your doctor just told you that you were dilated to 1. He called me all panicked and wanting to know if that meant labor was starting.

:) hehe, I guess someone wasn't paying attention in class and when I talked about how you can walk around dilated to a 4-5 for weeks. It was sort of cute how worried about me he was and if nothing else I think this convinced him to get the pager from work today.

elonwy's Avatar elonwy 12:41 PM 04-04-2011

LOL SallyNichole. Watching my husband learn all this stuff is sooooo cute. I am totally waiting for one of these moments to happen :P

lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 07:33 AM 04-06-2011
Almamiel's Avatar Almamiel 10:18 AM 04-06-2011

lovebeingamomma - excellent post - thanks!

Had midwife check my cervix yesterday after the GBS test - mostly because I was curious about how accurate my own checks were! It also gave her apprentice a chance to do an exam, too, which I'm cool with.

So, about 1cm dilated, 25% effaced, -1 station- just what I thought! Yay, me ;)

I'm pretty much always like this after 30 weeks, and don't typically do much more until labor actually begins (though this is number 3, so all bets are off, I hear).

36 w 3 days today.

HappyMamaBeth's Avatar HappyMamaBeth 12:19 PM 04-06-2011
My apologies. Didn't mean any offense, was just stating why
I am not checking. I still enjoy reading about what others are doing/finding.
lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 12:31 PM 04-06-2011

I named the thread "cervix checkers" for a reason, I'm not sure why you're posting if you have no intention of checking.  We all know we can't tell our cervix's what to do. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMamaBeth View Post

I have no intentions of checking... I figure my cervix is gonna do what it wants when it wants LOL.

lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 12:35 PM 04-06-2011

I'm so curious too if I what I think I'm feeling is correct.  I'm getting checked on Friday to make sure my frequent ctx's aren't dilating me too much, so I'm going to check that morning and compare to what my midwife tells me.  I just learned about the ischial spine thing and checking station....trying to find my ischial spine now when I check, because the head is so low I think I could figure out station.  I find this all so fascinating! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamiel View Post

lovebeingamomma - excellent post - thanks!

Had midwife check my cervix yesterday after the GBS test - mostly because I was curious about how accurate my own checks were! It also gave her apprentice a chance to do an exam, too, which I'm cool with.

So, about 1cm dilated, 25% effaced, -1 station- just what I thought! Yay, me ;)

I'm pretty much always like this after 30 weeks, and don't typically do much more until labor actually begins (though this is number 3, so all bets are off, I hear).

36 w 3 days today.

sharita's Avatar sharita 06:47 PM 04-06-2011

So after some spotting after intercoursethat carried over into the next day, I got curious and checked.  I am not sure what is going on but I dont remember my cervix ever feeling like a warm marshamallow before.  It is so soft it has practically no firmness to it at all, I can just smush it around.  Weird!  A fingertip dilated which is normal since this is baby #6, I pretty much dont ever close even when not pregnant.

Anyone else got a super soft cervix?  Oh and the spotting stopped.  All is good, just irritated it. 

ryleeee's Avatar ryleeee 08:35 PM 04-08-2011
you had to go around the baby's head?!?! you could FEEL the baby's head?! that is so interesting to me...now i HAVE to check! haha

lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 05:48 AM 04-09-2011

when I was checking before the head really came down it was easy to reach my cervix, now I can't reach my cervix because the head has almost fully engaged, and the cervix is still posterior.  So if the baby's head has almost fully engaged, it's very easy to know that it's the head...hard rounded surface close to the the entrance of the vagina.  It really is cool :)  Oh just adding that I'm not feeling thru the cervix, so I'm not feeling the REAL head, just thru the vaginal wall. 

lizzie's Avatar lizzie 11:42 AM 04-09-2011

Now see, I was all telling myself I was being a "good girl" and not checking down there every week or so... but I can't stand it. I haven't checked in a couple of months and now I'm going to have to after reading this to see what's up! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyNichole View Post

Want to know how to freak out a first time dad?

Seriously, how about a third time dad?! My dh wasn't going to leave on his last trip just because of all the B-H ctx I've been having. I don't know if he'll every get used to the idea of my body just going through some warm-up exercises for the big event. And he *knows* how it's always been before - he just cannot maintain his cool with a baby on the way it seems. Totally cute!

The other day, (again, he's a trucker) we were having an argument (about when/if our mothers were going to be around post partum, of all things) so we weren't really talking much to each other that day - but right before he went to sleep he texts me to ask "How's your stomach?" ... Uh... you mean, my uterus? And the baby inside of it? LOL... All of which he knows, but wow does his logical side take a vacation the last couple months of my pregnancies!

lovebeingamomma's Avatar lovebeingamomma 04:19 PM 04-11-2011

my cervix came down, now I can get a finger thru and feel the head!  Thru the bag of waters, but the bag of waters is so thin it's obvious I've feeling the head.  So cool. 

LacieD's Avatar LacieD 06:21 PM 04-11-2011

Well, at least I was right with my own observations!  Had an internal today, and I'm 3cm on the outside and 1cm on the inside.  I can't reach up far enough to feel the inside dilation, but I've been at least 2cm on the outside for quite a while.  

lil_stinkyfeet's Avatar lil_stinkyfeet 08:38 AM 04-14-2011

Cervix is super low (has been whole pregnancy) I am about 2cm outside but 0 inside... I am only 33w so I am good with that!

I try not to check mine, I stripped my membranes with #3 and had a very loooong labor. With #4 I had PROM and ended up with a C-section so I don't want to do anything to encourage PROM again!

Jynuine's Avatar Jynuine 01:19 PM 04-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_stinkyfeet View Post

Cervix is super low (has been whole pregnancy) I am about 2cm outside but 0 inside... I am only 33w so I am good with that!

I try not to check mine, I stripped my membranes with #3 and had a very loooong labor. With #4 I had PROM and ended up with a C-section so I don't want to do anything to encourage PROM again!

I have had my membranes stripped with my last 5 and it hasnt made anything longer. But with PROM, I totally agree. My last birth was great because the bulging waters actually paved the way for her allowing me to have a MUCH smoother transition. She was born 5 min post spontanious rupture. If you are over 5 cent or so it SHOULD be pretty safe to help that along (as long as theyre engaged and there is no cord prolapse) but I generally say , "Keep away from my membranes!"

Im big on the membrane sweeping though :)

1 2  3 

Up