april 1-7 chat thread! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorry, i couldn't resist...WE ARE HAVING BABIES NEXT MONTH. ahhhhhhhh....

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1305418/last-chat-thread-of-march-ladies

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#2 of 53 Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 AM

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

So much to do, so little time! I just pray we get everything we need done. The van should be fixed this weekend. GBS test Monday. I'm nervous for the first time ever... I've never tested positive though.

Gotta run. Pancakes for breakfast this morning...

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 53 Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Mmm... pancakes. I have a big bag of homemade pancake mix leftover from Shrove Tuesday (my MIL & I make the pancakes from scratch for the Pancake Supper at our church) and have been thinking I should just make them all at once, then freeze them between layers of wax paper for an easy post-birth meal or two. Just pop 'em in the toaster oven and you're ready to go. We'll see how far I get today. What I *need* to do is laundry, dishes, yoga, income tax, and maybe pancakes. What I *want* to do is browse MDC in my pj's; then drive 35 minutes to an awesome bakery for homemade doughnuts; pick up a crockpot that is on sale; grab a yummy drink and enjoy my doughnut(s?) with a book by the lake. If I'm really efficient maybe I can do all of it??

I ordered a couple Bravado bras & they arrived in the mail yesterday. Yeah! To buy a Bravado BodySilk locally they are $70CAD. But a friend of mine sells them, and is going out of business, so I got them through her for $45 each instead. (1 medium because that's my current size, and 1 large because there is still growth to come!) I also bought 4 gently used newborn size Bummis SWW for $5 each, and 2 new small at $7 each. And a Hazelwood with Amber necklace to hopefully ease some of the heartburn I've been experiencing.

Right... about that being efficient thing... I should start with signing out of MDC, yoga, & getting dressed!
#4 of 53 Old 04-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Nutters that's exciting on the bras!! Still figuring out what to do myself.  Size wise.  I hate trying on bras! 

Glad the van will be ready for ya Becca!

I had the craziest most realistic going into labor dream last night! I was freaked out to get out of bed cuz I was scared it would really happen. My support system I have set up was with me on the astral and made me feel really good about my choices!

I have decided not to travel out east this summer.  I really wanted to bad but I can't justify spending the money.  If I stay in the NW I won't have to get a job and can spend the summer bonding!!  I feel bad about not seeing some people.  I also get angry though. I have lived here for almost 8 years now and only 1 person has visited me here.  And it's not even a family member.  I was in such dire straights last Dec I was almost evicted!  I couldn't possibly justify spending the money. All 3 of my sisters afford to take vacations with their families every year and never choose here. Why should the brokest of us spend the money on it?  Sorry it just kind of hurts and I use anger a lot of the time to not feel the hurt.  The worst part is that they all want to make me feel bad when I dont come or they don't see my son etc. I am already feeling guilty.

Getting so excited for our trip tomorrow!!  This is going to be great!

#5 of 53 Old 04-03-2011, 04:08 AM

mama_mich, sorry about the family thing. I know it's hard. My FIL is one of those "come to me" people, and we're finally putting our foot down because of their toxic lifestyle (he's an alcoholic and smokes cigars, SIL is unstable bipolar, smokes cigarettes, they let my 7 year old nephew eat peanut butter all over the place and DD's anaphylactic to peanuts). He's yet to come to our new apartment, but he rarely came to our old one when we lived 10 minutes away. I don't think some people realize that it's the same driving distance for both parties, and having small children makes it more difficult.

Nutters, I wish I had gone the Bravado route. I bought some nursing bras from Motherhood Maternity and had to have some of them shipped to my house. Of course, wouldn't you know I get an e-mail from Enfamil's Family Beginnings a week later?! I was doing so well at avoiding those things...

I'm nauseous too much. This is not good. This is the first pregnancy that I have had nausea this late. I need to get off this computer though because I need to get my kids ready for church...

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#6 of 53 Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM

I dreamed that my friend (who is due a few days before I am) and I went into labor at the same time and for some reason we only had one birth tub so we had to share it. She had her baby unassisted then my midwife came over and I started crying because I wasn't contracting any longer but couldn't remember whether or not I had had the baby yet or not.

I walked for 2 hours today which was great. I realized that I get super dizzy if I am standing up and still for a while but walking is just fine.

I also bought a nightgown to wear when I have the baby- it's really pretty and some PJs for after in case it's cold in the hospital.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#7 of 53 Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM

mama_mich I hear ya on the relative thing. We are getting pressure from both grandma's to come visit after the baby is born. Granted he hasn't been back to his hometown since before we were married, but it's out in the middle of nowhere and expensive to get to. We keep trying to explain that we're going to on one limited income after the baby is born and that one single woman traveling is way less expensive and easy than two people with a new infant.... she's a very one minded person though it's very difficult to have a rational conversation there. She is also PISSED that we are moving to Australia.

My grandma keeps dropping hints about us stopping by HI on the way to Oz, which I would actually love to do, since most of my family lives there, but I need to do it in such a way that we still get reimbursed for the flights, cause I don't want to pay those out of pocket at all. The frustrating thing there is that she refuses to get on an airplane. I'm like.... why did you move to an island in the middle of the ocean? I'm glad she did because I ended up growing up there, but it's like.... I dunno.

At least my east coast relatives are just like "we're coming to see you!" so there is one pressure missing, but I also have my LA "friends that are pretty much family" making noises about us coming to visit there and it's just like.... you people do realize that we will have less money to burn and a little bitty baby to haul around right? I have been down to LA a bunch of times to visit and the only time people have come up here was for the wedding, so if any of those folks want to see me than by god they can come up here. Hrmph!

Woo, there's a ramble for ya! We're off to a moby demo at the local baby stuff store! Everyone have a lovely Sunday!

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#8 of 53 Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM

SOOO excited that our babies are coming SOON!  I'm ready and yet not ready at all!  I'm still struggling with illness (for almost a month now) and realize that I'm just not going to feel a whole lot better until the baby is born, so I better just quit complaining!  After getting a lot of work done around the house on Friday, my DH took the kids to check on our vacation cabin since we haven't been there in 2 months and he worries about it.  It's 3 1/2 hours away so they left Saturday at noon, spent the night, and should be back any minute now.  My sisters came over last night and made dinner and we just hung out.  We went out to breakfast this morning, then I had three hours to rest before my family comes back.  Just what I needed this weekend!  I miss the kids as soon as they're gone though!  They're so darn cute and sweet!  I guess that's why we keep having more! 

I'm thinking about cutting back my hours at work.  I'm so exhausted and I just try to keep pushing through!  I hadn't planned to leave before the baby is born. We'll see.

I'm doing some research on "labor prep" (herbs) to help me go into labor.  It looks like I'm a little late in thinking about this since the ones I read about are supposed to be started at 34 or 35 weeks and I'll be 36 soon and think I'd have to order them online which would take a week or so to ship.  Maybe I've missed the boat.  I'm still just praying I go into labor before 40 weeks (never have) because my OB is likely to be supportive of a VBA3C if I do.  (And not likely to be supportive if I don't.)

Lots on my mind! 

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#9 of 53 Old 04-03-2011, 03:24 PM

I am getting SO excited!!!  35 weeks here, and I am just counting down the days to my due date.  I am expecting to go late as I went to 42w with DD. 

I got lots of stuff done around the house this weekend.  All the new baby clothes we received at showers and as gifts were washed, nursery closet organized, painted two rooms, cleaned the interior of the car really well, and... installed the car seat!!  Yes, a bit early, but I wanted to get it done.  And, just seeing that seat in my car makes me happy. shy.gif

We also had our birthing center tour today, and I'm really happy with where I'll be delivering.  Based off the tour and word-of-mouth from friends, they are very much family-centered, and I truly believe I'll have a great experience there. 

I have my 36wk appointment this Friday, and they'll do my GBS swab then. Looking SO forward to that ... not!

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
#10 of 53 Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post

SOOO excited that our babies are coming SOON!  I'm ready and yet not ready at all!  I'm still struggling with illness (for almost a month now) and realize that I'm just not going to feel a whole lot better until the baby is born, so I better just quit complaining!  After getting a lot of work done around the house on Friday, my DH took the kids to check on our vacation cabin since we haven't been there in 2 months and he worries about it.  It's 3 1/2 hours away so they left Saturday at noon, spent the night, and should be back any minute now.  My sisters came over last night and made dinner and we just hung out.  We went out to breakfast this morning, then I had three hours to rest before my family comes back.  Just what I needed this weekend!  I miss the kids as soon as they're gone though!  They're so darn cute and sweet!  I guess that's why we keep having more! 

I'm thinking about cutting back my hours at work.  I'm so exhausted and I just try to keep pushing through!  I hadn't planned to leave before the baby is born. We'll see.

I'm doing some research on "labor prep" (herbs) to help me go into labor.  It looks like I'm a little late in thinking about this since the ones I read about are supposed to be started at 34 or 35 weeks and I'll be 36 soon and think I'd have to order them online which would take a week or so to ship.  Maybe I've missed the boat.  I'm still just praying I go into labor before 40 weeks (never have) because my OB is likely to be supportive of a VBA3C if I do.  (And not likely to be supportive if I don't.)

Lots on my mind! 

It would definitely still be worth it though.  Have you looked into seeing if you can buy Evening Primrose Oil locally.  I've heard that they sell it at Walmart.

I'm sorry about all the family stuff!  That isn't any fun and you'd think they'd understand having had small children before.

I'm tired and am definitely feeling ready to be done being pregnant...one of the first pregnancies I've really felt this way about...especially this early.  I still need to get out my old baby clothes and sort through them and wash them...and we eventually need to get the carseat out, but that shouldn't take long.   I'm looking forward to May...it will finally start getting green here and then my Mom comes on the 14th and then this baby can come any time after that.

Otherwise, I'm hoping my BP stays down.  I've never dealt with high BP(and that is my only symptom), but my MW(I'm planning my 2nd homebirth) told me if it is high again(second number over 90) then I'll have to be seen by a doc.  I'm not sure if that means I have to transfer care or just get checked out by one, but either way I'm making sure to actually eat and eat more protein.  I've been trying to eat a small meal with protein every 2 hours or so.  It's hard when I don't feel hungry and I'm taking care of 3 other kids, but I am trying to make it a priority and have noticed I've been feeling better since eating more.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#11 of 53 Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 PM

I'm with all of you mommas and can't believe that I am 35 weeks along.  I just want time to stop or my kids and DH to stop messing the house so I can get the items on my to-do list completed.

Mama_mich: I totally relate to your frustration with relatives/friends visiting you.  DH and I lived in N.Cal for the firs 3 yrs of DD1 life and my inlaws all live in S. Cal.  They only visited us about 2-3 times total and when we moved back to MA, we were in MA for nearly 6 mths before they even knew we had moved (we have a virtual phone number).  DH didn't want to tell them and also wanted to prove that their "need" for us to live in CA was ridiculous because they never made any effort to come see us.  I always get upset because whenever we visit my two BIL's and their wives are always saying they will be out over the summer to visit us.  At this point I just say, "can't wait" but I know it will never happen.  I just feel bad for DD1 who is 6.5 and doesn't understand why they keep saying they will visit when they never will.  Oh well...

Nutter:  I just got my new Bravado in the mail as well.  I have a few from my previous pregnancies and now that I have a "new" one I realize how ratty my old ones are.  Oh well, I'll wear the others until they begin to fall apart as I'm on a tight budget.

JrsMom:  I'm sorry about your continuing cold.  I am still recovering from the sinus, ear and respiratory infection.  I've sort of given up that my asthma will clear itself until the baby arrives as I think the preggo hormones are just aggravating things and suppressing my immune system a bit.

AFM:  I really hope that the sinus issues clear up so I can have the energy this week to get a lot of my to-dos done: pack hospital bag for myself, pack bags for my girls (in case they have to stay with Gram/Gramp for the night), pack bags for my dogs (one of my dogs has epilepsy and meds 4x a day so have to be prepared with him), test arrangement of car seats, replace elastic on pocket dipes, and a whole bunch of other things.  My biggest nutty is that there are a ton of cleaning projects I want to get to but with the day-to-day cleaning, part time work and kids I am not getting them done.  It was so much easier to nest when I didn't have DD1 and DD2 to take care of....

#12 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Leaving in 20 minutes for my GBS test... Really nervous. I'm going to discuss with her about taking oral abx if I test positive and retesting closer to my due date. Prayers/happy thoughts appreciated!!!

#13 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMT View Post

when we moved back to MA, we were in MA for nearly 6 mths before they even knew we had moved (we have a virtual phone number).

jaw.gif  okay, I'm not the closest with my family, but that's pretty.... wow!  Even in the "worst" of years, we'd manage to meetup at least once, even though I've lived on the east coast for almost 13 years, and my parents (and DP's mom) are on the west coast.

in other news, put me in the "squished stomach" and "funny dreams" category!

I'll be RAVENOUS, I'll even eat and wait 20-40min and STILL be ravenous... then I'll fall asleep a few hours later, wake up a few hours after that and feel SO OVER-FULL and gross.  Today we'll see how a "normal" day at work goes (as opposed to the weekend, where I took several naps and had a strange sleep pattern).

I'm freaking out a little bit - I got my midwife's birth kit, and... wow is it full of disposable stuff I'd normally never buy!  Underpads (I keep making jokes about doggy wee-wee pads), GIANT post-partum pads that look like diapers, different GIANT pads that are wider than my legs.... yikes2.gif  scary-looking mesh panties and silly things I already had (like a digital thermometer - I have TWO already, and bendy straws) *sigh*

Ordered the waterbirth deluxe kit (air pump, water pump, hose, adapter, thermometer, etc.), and attempted to go to goodwill to get some used sheets/towels for the birth, but my local goodwill sucks, and isn't really secondhand, it's more like a big lots store, so my only option for queen sheets was $30-40 for brand new (originally some outrageous price, I'm sure, but...)... not a single towel in the joint either... guess I'm going to head to IKEA or Target or something and just wash everything a few times irked.gif

I've also sprouted stretch marks on the underside of my belly... DP is really really disappointed because they aren't pretty (he's SO vain), he was actually pretty mean/rude about it, so I told him to f--- off, because there's absolutely nothing I can do about them short of cutting the baby out right now, and not much that I could've done to prevent them, other than lubing up my belly with various butters and creams (which I HAVE been doing). bawling.gif

#14 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 AM

I had my baby shower on Saturday and it was super awesome. We had about 36 people show up (more guys than girls) and we hosted it. I made a bunch of muffins, fruit trays, cheese trays, had cookies and a pickle plate. My husband is a big fancy cocktail fiend, so he manned the bar and we plied our guests with wine and boozes at 2pm in the afternoon for a few hours.

The only 'baby games' that we had were more like optional activities. I put out a bunch of postcard sized water colour paper and markers for people to draw things to hang on the baby mobile (it's like a clippable photo dealie), we had a notebook where people could write a sentence in a group sourced story for the baby that my husband will draw and I'll have printed, I handed out chocolate dipped fortune cookies I had made that each contained one of five fortunes for the baby I wrote up (ranging from having enormous junk to saving humanity in the zombie apocalypse) & then I made everyone sing happy birthday to my belly and we had a zero candle on a muffin to blow out. Not the most traditional, but it was super fun and everyone claimed to enjoy themselves.

Almost everyone stuck to the registry items too! We told folks that it was not necessary to bring gifts, but most everyone did. It was a really nice time.

#15 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_mich View Post

Nutters that's exciting on the bras!! Still figuring out what to do myself.  Size wise.  I hate trying on bras! 

Part of why I went with the Bravado BodySilk, is because they work in sizes S-XL, so you don't have to worry about exactly what size you currently are, and what you might grow into, and then might settle at. Because I'm right on the cusp between a M & L, I ordered one of each, but many women I've spoken to have said that a single size was all they needed to get through all of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post

Leaving in 20 minutes for my GBS test... Really nervous. I'm going to discuss with her about taking oral abx if I test positive and retesting closer to my due date. Prayers/happy thoughts appreciated!!!

I'm nervous about this too. If I knew for sure I would birth at home I would decline it altogether, but since a hospital transfer is always a possibility, I feel like I really have to have a negative test under my belt. (or rather, below the belt!) Our local hospital treats any woman and baby who don't have a test as positive, and that includes a 3 day nursery stay for baby. Don't even get me started on how awful their nursery is when it comes to formula feeding by bottle against a parents' express wishes.... I'm going to confirm at my appointment on Thursday that I get to swab myself, and find out what week exactly they do the swab. (I'm 34 weeks currently) Even if they swab me, I plan to wipe down with Hibiclense in the washroom when I pee right before going in. *fingers crossed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

I got my midwife's birth kit, and... wow is it full of disposable stuff I'd normally never buy!  Underpads (I keep making jokes about doggy wee-wee pads), GIANT post-partum pads that look like diapers, different GIANT pads that are wider than my legs.... yikes2.gif  scary-looking mesh panties and silly things I already had (like a digital thermometer - I have TWO already, and bendy straws) *sigh*

Ordered the waterbirth deluxe kit (air pump, water pump, hose, adapter, thermometer, etc.), and attempted to go to goodwill to get some used sheets/towels for the birth, but my local goodwill sucks, and isn't really secondhand, it's more like a big lots store, so my only option for queen sheets was $30-40 for brand new (originally some outrageous price, I'm sure, but...)... not a single towel in the joint either... guess I'm going to head to IKEA or Target or something and just wash everything a few times irked.gif

I've also sprouted stretch marks on the underside of my belly... DP is really really disappointed because they aren't pretty (he's SO vain), he was actually pretty mean/rude about it, so I told him to f--- off, because there's absolutely nothing I can do about them short of cutting the baby out right now, and not much that I could've done to prevent them, other than lubing up my belly with various butters and creams (which I HAVE been doing). bawling.gif

I know what you mean about disposable products - it's crazy how much gets thrown away! I console myself by saying that at least birthing at home I have a smaller footprint than birthing in the hospital.

That's too bad about your local Goodwill. greensad.gif My MIL found old sheets & pillowcases in storage that she didn't want, so I was lucky there (as our local thrift stores didn't have cheap ones either). Boo to your DP on the stretch marks comment!! While moisture can help, stretch marks are largely a genetic thing - - you're either prone to them or you're not and no amount of lubing up can change your genetic predisposition. I got my first stretch marks when I was <100 lbs, in gr 9, and went through a very minor growth spurt combined with a lot of physical activity that resulted in a pretty rapid increase in muscles. I hope your DP comes to appreciate the magnitude of the impact that pregnancy & birth have on a woman's body; that he sees your skin stretching to accomodate your growing babe as a wonder & a marvel; that he sees the beauty in all the changes... (hugs)
#16 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 AM

What made it even worse is that I had a baby in that time period.  We moved the first of July and we flew out to visit them at the end of November for Thanksgiving.  What is so pathetic is that if we were still in CA.... they didn't even make an effort to do a 1 hour flight to see their new granddaughter.  Honestly, if it were my family my feelings would be hurt but since it is my in-laws who, although super sweet, can't help but constantly criticize and tell us how to run our life and raise our kids.... I'll take the weekly video chats that we do. We used to fly out twice a year but we realized that we have been married almost 8 yrs and my oldest DD is 6.5 yrs old and other than visit his family we've taken no family vacas.  So... in July we are going to just do a week up in NH with the kids and us.  His family has all said they will come see the new baby over the summer but we'll see.  We decided we weren't flying out there for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

okay, I'm not the closest with my family, but that's pretty.... wow!  Even in the "worst" of years, we'd manage to meetup at least once, even though I've lived on the east coast for almost 13 years, and my parents (and DP's mom) are on the west coast.

#17 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 PM

36 weeks today...been feeling done for the past week now. It just takes so much energy to change my 2 year old's diaper, especially when he doesn't want me to, LOL! Still have lots of house projects hubby wants to get done, and very little time to get them done with his busy work schedule. I'm not holding my breath that everything is going to get done before baby arrives. DH has to help me get the dog washed, get her to the vet, recalibrate his insulin pump and send his old one back, program his new one, and get taxes done. Those are the top priorities right now..then we can focus on getting the baby's closet cleaned out, and other odd projects that I'd like to get done, but again, not holding my breath or stressing about it. Been getting heartburn every night, getting especially moody and cranky lately, getting overly obsessed with keeping the house clean at all times, and just generally tired constantly. Can't wait for this baby to come out so I can hold her in my arms rather than in my belly!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#18 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM

reelgeek - your shower sounds awesome!

PunkElmo - I also was a little taken aback by my homebirth kit...I made up for it by ordering some cloth pads from Esty . I always use a diva cup, and couldn't bear the idea of using storebought pads - I remember chafing pretty badly after the first few days the last two births I had.

Midwife home visit today - 36 w 2 days! GBS test today, too.

MrsBone - I so need to do my taxes...

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#19 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Let me know how the cloth ones you got are. I use a diva cup and have two small cloth liners, I can't do store bought pads because I have latex allergies. Instant rash would not be good, methinks. I was also thinking of the panties with the built in liner, has anyone used those? 

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#20 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

Let me know how the cloth ones you got are. I use a diva cup and have two small cloth liners, I can't do store bought pads because I have latex allergies. Instant rash would not be good, methinks. I was also thinking of the panties with the built in liner, has anyone used those? 

Lol. I discovered my latex allergy when using a Keeper menstrual cup years ago... NOT a fun way to learn you're sensitive to latex!!! I use a DivaCup now with cloth liners for back up, OR cloth pads, depending on how I feel in a given month...

I bought one package of NatraCare overnight (disposable) pads, just for the first day or two/in case of a hospital transfer where cloth might be harder to manage. BUT, because I've used cloth pads for so long, I have a pretty good stash and plan to use primarily my cloth pads... which reminds me... I think I need to order a few pp cloth pads. My flow isn't usually very heavy so I only have a handful of pads that are postpartum-flow capable! Good thing this topic came up!

I do have 1 pair of the panties with liner built in (lunapanties, from LunaPads) and while I love them for attending births as a doula (a little bit of just in case protection) they are no where NEAR absorbent enough for postpartum flow. They'd probably be good though if you knew you had to be away from home for a few hours, and put your postpartum pad on as well as the lunapanties. They do have the rickrack in them so that you can add liners for increased absorbency, but I'd think you'd need an awful lot of liners...
#21 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM

I feel like I've been missing in action over the last few days. I'm just blah about everything. I've still got a lot of pubic pain and the internal exam I let the doctor do yesterday confirmed that lady baby is super low. So, at least I know there is a reason for all the discomfort. I think I'm feeling overwhelmed by everything. There is just so much I want to get done and I don't feel like doing any of it.

ugh, someone come kick my butt into gear!

#22 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Oh, add DivaCup to the list of things I need to get! I know I won't be using it right away, but I'd like to have it on hand (I'd assume I can I use it as soon as it's comfortable for ME? that's probably not postpartum/lochia, but you never know, right?) - my 10 year old keeper started smelling funny about a year ago, and mysteriously disappeared (perhaps DP's doing?). I was hesitant to buy a new keeper/diva while being 29 and TTC my first child, since 29/30 and birth/no birth are the differentiators for the sizes, but now that I'm 30 and having a child, there's no question which size I should get.

I contacted my pad lady (a contact from the days of TheKeeper yahoo group - long LONG ago), she's going to make me three kinds: belted (perfect for pantsless house-roaming), AIO (can be refolded to have a "fresh" side next to you), and two-part extra-long (can add as much or as little padding as you want, plus ice packs or slushy soothing condoms).... I'll get an assortment of 8-10, see what I like and then (if I need it) order more of what I can't live without.

still need to figure out washable and/or disposable breast pads... just got my first teenyweeny drop of anything out of my right nipple last night - I guess it looked kind of milky (exciting/scary!).

And my stomach is stretching like MAD.... ugh. guess I wish I'd gotten my maternity photos taken a week or two ago instead of this upcoming weekend, but that's what the "heal" tool in photoshop/GIMP is for, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

Let me know how the cloth ones you got are. I use a diva cup and have two small cloth liners, 

Lol. I discovered my latex allergy when using a Keeper menstrual cup years ago... NOT a fun way to learn you're sensitive to latex!!! I use a DivaCup now with cloth liners for back up, OR cloth pads, depending on how I feel in a given month...
#23 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Mothering had a good article on cloth pads (also called Mama Pads, since many are made by cloth diaper companies) this past year.

I have some Happy Heiny ones, but don't love them since they slide around. I do love the fleece next to the skin since it feels warm and dry. And so soft.

These are the ones I want to try next, Pink Daisy Organic Cotton Feminine Pads (http://www.diaperlab.com/shop/pink-daisy-organic-mama-pads.html). My mama pad connoisseur friend is switching her entire stock over to them which seems to be a pretty good recommendation.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#24 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM

The crazy thing is... I bet some of us will have babies THIS month!?!?!!

Holy crap!

Happy to report my little guy is head down, measuring right on, strong hb and my bp is good.  Awesome!  We finished our birth class and so instead of driving two hours round trip tonight I have the evening off.  Had a great if exhausting baby shower at my place this weekend.  My "waist" is 48.5 inches around holy moly.  I can't believe I let them measure me.  I donated my body for science I guess... I'd definitely schedule a shower a little earlier next time.  I have tons of leftover baked ziti and carrot cake (yum) so I'm not feeling any pressure to freezer cook or have meals delivered or anything.

We're going to have a couples weekend away with another couple who's due just a week after us.  We haven't seen them since Thanksgiving - I can't wait to be big as a house with someone else.  I think us hugging is going to be hilarious.

I don't wanna do anything... I'm really hoping to get through this next two weeks of work without adding anything to my schedule AFTER that.  I've decided that I'll work up to 1 week past my due date and that's it, no matter what - since I have to go back 12 weeks later anyway.  Might as well get some rest if he's not here by then.

Take care mamas!

Oh breast pads - I am on a message list serve thing called parent hacks - it's a disposable solution, but someone talked about using long kotex panty liners doubled up as breast pads.  I LOVE this solution because they're cheaper and less bulky.  We shall see!

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#25 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Despite or perhaps because I am 36 weeks I have been thinking about the birth of the next child. I had been toying with the idea of doing a homebirth next time (this time will be the hospital birth center). There is a well respected midwife in my community that does home birth. But we are car free and one of the things that means is I make lots of choices based on what I can walk too (which makes for easier birth I think). Anyway I was googling around and found that they have moved. So now they are only an 8 minute walk from my house. I am really excited that that makes seeing her a real alternative. I love my midwifes this time, but home birth would be easier logistically.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#26 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Holy crap is right!  I'm NOT ready, but I can deliver at home anytime from 4/14 (possibly 5 days before that, but I'm officially 37 weeks on 4/14)

Does anyone else get comments about "oh, you've dropped" or inane banter like that, which probably seems harmless to the banterer, but makes me think "um, no, I sure HAVEN'T dropped..." and then I wonder what's going on that they're seeing... and I freak out mildly.

probably a combination of a more supportive bra and the fact that I'm not wearing my pre-natal cradle today, but I AM wearing a frumpier shirt than usual? who knows.

nice hack for the breast pads... I didn't know pantiliners are actually cheaper than breast pads?! I've never bought either orngtongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaconda View Post

The crazy thing is... I bet some of us will have babies THIS month!?!?!!

Holy crap!

Oh breast pads - I am on a message list serve thing called parent hacks - it's a disposable solution, but someone talked about using long kotex panty liners doubled up as breast pads.  I LOVE this solution because they're cheaper and less bulky.  We shall see!

#27 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM

36 weeks today!  Yay! 

As I was putting my makeup ont his morning and about to leave for work I coughed and heard a "pop" and had extreme pain!  I couldn't stand up straight, yet got in my car and drove gingerly to work.  Since I'm a chiropractor, that was about the best place to go, I thought!  My associate doctor checked me and found no spinal problem or ribs out of place and I had no spinal pain.  Surely this extreme pain isn't just a pulled muscle?  I left work and showed up at my OB appointment early (before going home.)  He's only two blocks from my office so I thought, "why not?" 

I found out my iron was up a point last week (though I'm still anemic) and the Strep B test was negative!  Yay!  My OB thinks I have pleurisy and told me to check in with my GP.  I couldn't get in with my GP for a few days and the excruciating pain that started this morning was only getting worse, so I went to an urgent care facility.  Not like me--but I can't sit, stand, breathe comfortably!  And coughing kills me!  The doctor I saw confirmed the pleurisy but didn't want to give me a steroid (good!)  He wanted me to take another antibiotic (just finished one a week ago) because the bronchitis was still acute.  And he's pretty sure I fractured a rib this morning, but didn't take an x-ray.  (I wouldn't have done one, pregnant or not, since it doesn't change the treatment.)  I am such a wreck!  I guess I'm meant to stop working!  I can't fight it at this point.  I may just show up for meetings the next few weeks and admit defeat!  It's a blessing and a curse to be the "boss."  I know I put way more pressure on myself than I do on my employees.  I should have called it quits a couple weeks ago.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#28 of 53 Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM

I would not use panty liners for breast pads. Chemicals... Probably wouldn't use regular disposable breast pads either but would hope they might have less chemicals than a panty liner considering what they are used for???

I got a nice stash of cloth breastfeeding pads. I have over 30 but I leak like crazy in the beginning. I'm a serious milk producer. I've used both disposables and cloth in the past and the cloth ones are much more breathable and much more comfortable. I think my fave of the couple types I purchase will be the "Knickernappies Stay-Dry Nursing Pads." I got some regular cotton ones without a waterproof layer on them and think I might regret that. We'll see. 

I got some cloth postpartum/heavy flow pads recently. Some nightime imse vimse at a good price http://www.imsevimse.us/p-87-night.aspx

I've already had the regular imse vimse pads and have loved them for back up to the cup.

Then I got some from etsy too http://www.etsy.com/listing/58555888/rainbow-print-mama-cloth-pad-with-wings

The ones from etsy are almost the same exact size as the imse vimse ones and slightly more expensive though cuter - if that happens to matter? 

I had some of those natracare maternity pads and so was expecting them to be bigger than they are. They had good reviews and I ordered them online. I'm disappointed. They don't have wings and they aren't very long. Seems like a dangerous choice when it comes to leaks! So, I don't know, I might just give them away or something? If my water breaks early on in labor, I can imagine using some from one of the boxes I purchased for that.

I have a mooncupUK which I absolutely LOVE for periods but no way I'd wanna use that after a birth. :) I also use regular size cloth pads for backup with the cup though, just in case. But, I will say that I don't tend to get my period until I've completely stopped breastfeeding. I got mine back at 11 months PP with DS1 and I think 15 months PP wth DS2. I did nurse DS2 until he was 17.5 months though so... Anyway, it can happen that you won't need anything until a long time after the birth. 

I'm busy busy getting everything ready. My home is much better now. Still have more organizing and cleaning to do but if I did go into labor today, I don't think I'd completely panic or anything compared to a week ago. LOL Of course, I don't wanna go into labor until I reach full-term, but just sayin.

I'm totally ready to be done with this pregnancy too just because I have no energy and I'm really uncomfortable. My back is really killing me because I usually have back probs and pregnancy just makes it worse. Also, sick of being punched in the cervix and other fun things like that. I am so sick of having babies now too, honestly. I love my kids and I'm totally excited about having a little girl but so sick of pregnancy and nursing. I've been doing it for quite a few years in a row now and I'm just really ready to be done. I plan to enjoy my little girl and nursing her and stuff but after her, I'm kind of hoping to be done. I want to be me again, I'm sure some of you can understand. :) 

Punk Elmo, I would not tolerate that kind of rude commentary for my DH with the stretch marks thing. (And he'd never act that way anyway)

That's crazy. Vanity is a very bad thing. What's your DP going to do when you start getting wrinkles and stuff. People don't stay young and "beautiful" forever. grrrr! I'd have a serious talk with him if I were you. I also get stretch marks pretty easy. There's really no way to prevent it. My tummy, hips, breasts (from pregnancy and nursing) etc all are covered in stretch marks. It just is. Whatever. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#29 of 53 Old 04-06-2011, 05:11 AM

Morning all! My little Beaner has been flipping into breech position *every* night, then slowly wiggling his/her way back into vertex over the course of the day.... The flip was happening before I was settled into sleep yet, and I got to wondering if maybe the way I was sleeping (without the body pillow; snuggled up to DH) was uncomfortable in there for the Beaner, so last night I used my body pillow (to keep my hips more open) and this morning.... had an LOA baby. WooHoo! I hope being more diligent about the body pillow will continue to encourage Beaner to nestle in LOA. I do OPF all day (ball for sitting on at work, pillows arranged on the couch to keep me lined up properly, pillow in the passenger seat of the car to keep me propped up correctly when not the driver etc). I figure all the flipping probably means that baby still has lots of room in there (ie baby is not huge yet! - which helps ease the continual input from my MIL that DH was a big baby who "tore me from stem to stern... blood transfusion... stitches... weeks to recover... your baby could be that big too you know!") But I digress.... I'm not *too* worried about baby's size & position, but I'd feel *better* if s/he settled into a good position soon.

My final doula client just phoned to say she is contracting every 7-8 minutes (& has had prelabour-style contractions for the last two days) She sent her DH off to work, but isn't sure how long she wants to be by herself at home, so I might have a birth today. I'd be good with that. I'm 34+4 today, and having this birth completed would free up mental & emotional space to really focus on our own upcoming birth.

Dayiscoming & LeighPF - I'll have to look at those pad links you posted... cloth pads can be just as addictive to look at and collect as cloth diapers or baby carriers I think! But they last so long/so well that I haven't had any reason to order new pads in a few years. For pp-flow I ordered two 13" wool-backed pads from County Cloth Creations yesterday. Her pads have been some of my favorites, and while I haven't tried wool-backed pads before, I've wanted to for a while so this was a good excuse.

I have to leave for work in 30 minutes, and could get called out to a birth - time to get in the shower! Hope you all have a great day!
#30 of 53 Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 AM

just to add - I had a nice long phone chat with my cloth pad lady last night - I loved it - we discussed all kinds of menstrual/childbirth stuff for over 15min (she's a mom to 3 boys, including twins, and... I think she teaches childbirth classes? she's definitely a cool lady!), and I finalized my postpartum pad order. orngbiggrin.gif

LisaJaney's WONDERFUL if you want to check her out at http://www.tlc-pads.com - the pads I bought from her nearly 10 years ago are still holding up wonderfully (it probably helped that I used each one once a cycle or less and treated them well, but still!), and she's been amazing with making custom stuff for me (belted pads, split inserts for the 2-part pads), etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page