What will you eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone have a special meal planned for right after the birth, or a certain foodstuff they are planning on eating?

Somehow a huge pile of eggs and toast sounds so so wonderful.... I also kind of want a mimosa, but uh, maybe I'll just stick to OJ depending on what our MW has to say. :)

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM

I made and froze my favorite soup so it just has to be microwaved, Mulligatawny, it's very hearty which is what I will want/need after the birth.  I remember each time being starving, even though the times I gave birth I hadn't actually missed a meal.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#3 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM

If I make it as planned, we will eat baby's birthday cake.  However, that was the plan last time and it was all ready and waiting, but I didn't feel like eating it.  Maybe time of day was a factor - it was 3 in the morning and we were sooooo tired.  So instead I ate the most delicious homemade blueberry-apple juice popsicles in the history of the universe.  It is my experience that no matter what you eat afterward, it tastes flipping A-MAZING!  DS1 was born right before lunchtime and I hadn't eaten since the evening before, so at that time of day I couldn't get enough food into me...I had a crappy hospital soup and sandwich that tasted like gourmet, and was still hungry so my mom rummaged through her purse and pulled out a candy bar.  I thought I was going to cry it tasted so good, LOL!

#4 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 AM

I am not sure about my first meal. The hospital my birth center is in is known for their terrible food. The tour included the prominent announcement that the nurses station had all the local delivery menus. I do know that I want a dark beer, so that is coming in my hospital bag. Food wise right now I would choose a good BLT.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#5 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

So let me get this straight- any food you have afterward tastes 10x better than it really is? Wow, this might be a chance to let DH make his *cough- horrible* meatloaf, then.....  wink1.gif

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#6 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 PM

I have a whole list of food for labor/delivery and afterwards.

I want to make sure I have any snackies I could possibly want for labor, as well as food for DP and the midwife to munch on.

We're *hoping* to, when we're sure it's labor, send a friend to the grocery store who knows how to pick fruit/veggies (at minimum) - I'm surprised how many of my friends are clueless in this arena - I've cooked with friends who don't understand that "skim milk" and "heavy cream" are not the same, radishes and squash aren't "grab 'n' go finger foods" or that 8oz of mushrooms is not sufficient for a recipe that calls for 2lbs. (lol, love my friends though)

here's my list - we probably won't have it ALL, but it all sounds good to me:

• easy to eat raw veggies - carrots, cukes, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, etc.
  • hummus and/or other dip (pita for DP/midwife?)
  • cheese (sharp cheddar, babybelle/laughingcow/string, other types)
  • Salami/pepperoni
  • hard-boiled eggs (keep on hand)
  • pre-cooked bacon
  • pre-cooked chicken breasts
  • Fruit - pineapple, melons, berries, oranges, apples, bananas, etc.
  • honey
  • nuts/homemade trail mix (make HUGE batch this weekend, I think)
  • Girl Scout cookies (I lead a troop, I have more of these than I care to talk about, and I'm offa sugar right now!)
  • Chocolate chip cookie dough - bake some of these bad boys during labor - mmmm! aroma!
  • Coconut water - Vita Coco (does anyone know where to buy multi-paks of the liters? we BURN through this stuff when it's in the house!)
  • Yogurt - Fage Total or Brown Cow cream top
  • Popsicles? (I'm told they're good for labor, but they're usually not my cup of tea)
  • Sherbet/Gelato/Ice Cream - Lemon, Mint Chip (goes down easily and is cooling)
  • Sliced Turkey Breast
  • Almond milk
  • Tetra-paks of soup (roasted tomato, butternut squash, chicken broth, etc.)
  • Almond/Peanut butter
  • Snickers (junk, I know, but it might be just the energy boost I need!)
  • Chocolate
  • Whipped Cream
  • Applesauce? (not really my thing, but I see it suggested a lot for labor)
  • maybe bagels/lox/cream cheese for after, maybe oatmeal...
  • and of course, meals filling the freezer :)

#7 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM

Wow, I want to come to PunkElmo's birth buffet! LOL!  You might want to include fresh parsley or breath mints next to the hard boiled eggs and salami...some women find strong smells like that really nauseating in labour. 

#8 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm planning on fruits and veggie that are cut up in small, bite-size pieces so that HD can just sit near me and feed me as I request. :) I'm also stalked on applesauce, and Popsicles that are made with only fruit and no sugar added. I've also heard that the power food every woman should try and eat is a banana. And I love those, so I'm sure we'll have a ton of those. But as far carbs and such I'll probably stick to Ritz (the only thing I've been able to keep down during my bad nausea problems). And I've heard that dairy can be really hard on your digestion, so I'll stay clear of dairy but I'll have cottage cheese and string cheese available for our doula and HD.

#9 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 01:16 PM

Ok, this thread is totally making me hungry :)  I'm actually looking for ideas to stockpile food since I'm planning a homebirth and will need meals and snacks available for the midwives.  When I had DD, the first thing they gave me in the hospital was jello with fruit floating in it.  I cannot describe how absolutely amazing it tasted!  The chicken salad sandwich I had a while later was good too--it's insane how good hospital food tastes when you're hungrier than you've ever been in your life!

#10 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
tzs

does a mojito count?

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#11 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post

does a mojito count?

Oh, yeah, that's on the list too - reserve whiskey on the rocks for me, dirty martini for the midwife, and gin & tonic + super-nice cigars (I have a friend in the business) for DP champagne.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

Wow, I want to come to PunkElmo's birth buffet! LOL!  You might want to include fresh parsley or breath mints next to the hard boiled eggs and salami...some women find strong smells like that really nauseating in labour. 

Come on over!

drinks once the wee one's here too - breast milk for him/her, homemade bubbly-water, unsweetened cranberry juice, and cocktails for the grown-ups!

I've never found eggs or salami to be a bothersome smell (unless the eggs are overcooked - THAT smell's a problem, pregnant or not!), maybe it's because my dad always ate salami on sourdough for breakfast when I was a kid... most of the smells I've found gross in pregnancy are chemicals, body odor, booze/cigarettes/vomit (why did I decide to arrive in New Orleans' French Quarter at 10am in my first trimester? - UGH!)... that type of thing. No food aversions (in fact, I could eat anything in SIGHT right now, even though I just finished my spinach and eggs. hehehe)

#12 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

Oh, yeah, that's on the list too - reserve whiskey on the rocks for me, dirty martini for the midwife, and gin & tonic + super-nice cigars (I have a friend in the business) for DP champagne.gif

Come on over!

drinks once the wee one's here too - breast milk for him/her, homemade bubbly-water, unsweetened cranberry juice, and cocktails for the grown-ups!

I've never found eggs or salami to be a bothersome smell (unless the eggs are overcooked - THAT smell's a problem, pregnant or not!), maybe it's because my dad always ate salami on sourdough for breakfast when I was a kid... most of the smells I've found gross in pregnancy are chemicals, body odor, booze/cigarettes/vomit (why did I decide to arrive in New Orleans' French Quarter at 10am in my first trimester? - UGH!)... that type of thing. No food aversions (in fact, I could eat anything in SIGHT right now, even though I just finished my spinach and eggs. hehehe)

Alot of things you might not think are offensive sure are when someone is blowing them in your face repeatedly when you are in pain.  LOL.

Many women Ive doulaed have asked for candles that they typically love and bought just for birth to be put out.. Ive had soooo many women yell at their husbands to brush their teeth..  one even made her husband brush his teeth again because the mint smell from the mouthwash he used sent her over the edge...  Ive had a zillion women hate altoid smells.  It's interesting what happens to your olfactory senses when your other senses are on overdrive.

#13 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM

The hospital is near this huge shopping center. I will probably send DH out for some food. I'm thinking either Pollo Tropical for their killer rotisserie chicken, black beans and rice and fried yucca bites or Cheesecake Factory for their wagu burger with goat cheese and a killer piece of chocolate cheesecake.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#14 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkElmo View Post

)

see...that's really all i care about right now. i mean, i can eat whatever i want at the moment but that mojito might get me some dirty looks at the bar.

we have to bring all our own food to the hospital since we keep annoyingly super kosher so as far as that goes, i just hope i'm not left starving.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#15 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM

I am not sure why I never thought about having a drink after baby arrives, lol.  Good way to help with those after pains and celebrate at the same time!!!  Mojito is my fav drink ever but unfortunately, I am the only one in house that can make it right so I may settle for one of DH's legendary frozen margaritas.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#16 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 AM

I had my mom defrost & warm a quiche that I had made in advance so that DH & I would have something to eat in the hospital (just couldn't bring myself to eat the hospital food).  I swear it was indeed the BEST thing I had ever eaten & I'd be surprised if DH got more than 1/4 of it.  I ate almost the ENTIRE thing in one sitting, I was absolutely ravenous.  I remember being that way for days after the birth too - my MIL offered to make me scrambled eggs & asked if I'd like 2 or 3 eggs.  I remember wanting to laugh at her & thinking forget 2-3, I want the whole carton!!

I had some lovely celebratory cake & my fav homemade cookies as treats & quick sugar boosts but I really found I needed some solid high protein meals in the days following the birth. 

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#17 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 AM

my BIL brews beer, so he's making a special batch called the Hannah Banana. It's going to be a light, fruity beer. He and my DH plan on drinking a glass after she's born. HD usually likes really dark beer, so I think they're also doing a heavy beer to celebrate coming home. I, on the other hand, hate beer. I'll stick to my glass of sparkling wine.

#18 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 AM

champagne & birthday cake!  that's as far as I've gotten lol!  thank you, PunkElmo, for that list I intend to borrow from. love.gif

Blissful wife & momma, so in love w/DD 5.2.2011 & DS 10.31.13 homebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif 
#19 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM

I always make the same chicken casserole in labor and then a birthday cake. My last labor was so long that I had time to 1. go to the store buy the ingredients 2. cook both meals and 3. EAT both meals in their entirety.   Hopefully, with this baby there will be time for leftovers.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#20 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM

I haven't planned anything because my dad cooked for all of us last birth, including my midwife and assistant.. I remember eating a plate of pulled pork and truffle risotto, and mashed potatoes and inhaling it all at 3am. It felt so good to be able to eat a full plate of food without heartburn or nausea. I'm assuming he's going to cook for us again as long as he's in town(he's getting back in town on the 26th of april and I'm due the 2nd of May). Otherwise, my MIL will probably make something for all of us. My mom and sister will be with me the whole time as well as DH, but I'm not worried about it. Its amazing how little I'm stressing about details this time around. There's a walgreens like right next to the birthing center, so in case I've forgotten anything, someone can jet over there, and there's a kroger across the street for anything else I might need. Not really planning very well this go around!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page