vit K injection... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just went over my birth plan with my MD today and everything looked pretty good, except he is adamant that we get a vit K shot for our newbie. I really didn't think the vit K shot was going to be a big deal because we didn't get it for our daughter and we are using the same MD and same hospital. He said it is absolutely mandatory at the hospital we are planning to go to and that if we aren't going to get it we need to find another doctor. :( woomp woomp  I also asked him about birthing positions because I know that I do not want to be on my back and I don't really want to be confined to that narrow bed at all. He said that he has back problems and is limited to certain positions. I was planning on bringing in a big blanket just so I have more room to move around, but I don't think he is going to be able to assist me if I am on the floor. 

I guess I don't really know what to do. I will be full term the first week of May. My intuition is leaning towards homebirth, but my apartment just does not seem suitable for a homebirth to me. I really don't want to deal with fighting off all of the interventions and limitations that come with a hospital birth, but I just don't know what to do.

partners.gif married to DH, momma to DD1flower.gif2/23/10, DD2 flowersforyou.gif5/26/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM

It sounds like the decision has kind of been made for you.  Sounds like your birth plan is more about the Dr than you.  My friend said the same thing about her apartment.  I don't get the concern.  If you think about it some babies are still born in the barn with the piggies unassisted!  You will know what to do.  Maybe see if a midwife would let you birth in their home. Or is there a birth center near you?

My birth center midwife is very adoment about the vit k and the drops too so I am here to look further into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemiteroses View Post

I just went over my birth plan with my MD today and everything looked pretty good, except he is adamant that we get a vit K shot for our newbie. I really didn't think the vit K shot was going to be a big deal because we didn't get it for our daughter and we are using the same MD and same hospital. He said it is absolutely mandatory at the hospital we are planning to go to and that if we aren't going to get it we need to find another doctor. :( woomp woomp  I also asked him about birthing positions because I know that I do not want to be on my back and I don't really want to be confined to that narrow bed at all. He said that he has back problems and is limited to certain positions. I was planning on bringing in a big blanket just so I have more room to move around, but I don't think he is going to be able to assist me if I am on the floor. 

I guess I don't really know what to do. I will be full term the first week of May. My intuition is leaning towards homebirth, but my apartment just does not seem suitable for a homebirth to me. I really don't want to deal with fighting off all of the interventions and limitations that come with a hospital birth, but I just don't know what to do.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemiteroses View Post

I would definitely look into finding another provider.  If you aren't comfortable with a homebirth at your apartment(which I think most apartments would have plenty of room thinking back over my previous homebirth), is there a possibility of a birthing center nearby that you could birth at?

I would also call the hospital to see if Vit K is truly mandatory as the delivering doctor doesn't normally administer the shot, the nurses do, along with Hep B and eye ointment.  The OB is usually taking care of the mom while the nurses or the ped is taking care of the baby, so I don't see why the OB would even care about Vit K. 

And as to delivery position, I would definitely have a problem with having to stay in bed and with homebirthing/birth centers the MW's will let you birth your baby without them hovering right there if you'd like it that way.  So really it isn't truly necessary for the doctor to have to help the baby out, but it is the practice in hospitals.

Hugs I hope you are able to have the birth you want!

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

Old 04-07-2011, 04:03 PM

I agree w/ the other posters. Can I just add, though - face screwed up when I read "he has back problems."

He has back problems, so that affects how you birth? Ugh. Yeah, cause you won't be pushing out a living breathing human being from your vagina or anything. I guess his back problems trump that. Sheesh. (sorry, i know that's not the point here, but geez louise).

I had concerns about an HB in an apartment too. We live in a very very small space. But our MW told me she's not worried or bothered by it at all. The longer you begin to think of your home as the place you'll birth your baby, the more natural it starts to feel.

If you do elect to go with a hospital birth still, you said you're worried about fighting off the interventions, etc. My advice is to GET A DOULA. Get one who you really like (of course) but who is also going to do a great job of being your advocate and really helping to wrangle the hospital staff so you're bothered as little as possible. A good doula won't necessarily get in their faces, but she'll be firm and insistent that your birth plan be remembered.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Sorry you are dealing with possible last-minute rearrangements.  That is stressful :(  I really don't understand this threatening to withdraw care over one refused item...it baffles my mind that people can be backed into a corner like that :(

I haven't home birthed in an apartment, but at our home birth all the action was in our bedroom and bathroom.  We didn't use the rest of the house, with the exception that DS was asleep in the family room with my MIL.  Space wasn't a big deal at all (if that's your concern, I'm not sure).  I have a friend who had a baby in her apartment and did have a police officer show up at the door (neighbours were worried about noises - the police were were easily shooed away by the midwife, though :P), so if you did go that route, it might be worth a note on the door or a quick word with neighbours just so they know everything is a-ok!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:53 AM

For me, it'd be homebirth with midwife or unassisted. Whichever you could swing. I can't imagine your apartment being a bad place for a birth unless you have an infestation of bugs or something? :) 

I tried doing hospital midwife care this time around and I got some attitude (though I was very polite) and said fine, goodbye! I wouldn't put up with that. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 AM

I agree. The decision is being made for you. If no vit k was ok with your first, why not your second? And a bad back?? If he has a bad back, he needs to go to GYN only. That's the problem. Some docs don't realize when it's time to retire.

Just wanted to say, please don't go against your better judgement on this. If your heart and head are saying switch, by all means SWITCH!! The sooner the better! I wish I had switched when I was 36 weeks and being pushed into an unnecessarean with DS. I decided to do the c-section and I still regret it. Please don't think I'm trying to push you one way or another, I just hate seeing women in the same/similar situation I was in!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

My main concern is our pets. We share a small space with two cats and a dog and I really don't want them under foot. I am trying to figure out what I could do with them for the birth and hoping someone will be willing to let them come to their house for a few days or so. My other concern is the neighbors, our walls here are paper thin and I don't want to feel inhibited to not make noise if I need to, I know the police can always be deterred, but gosh I really hope it wouldn't come to that! I could put a sign up on the door, but am kind of reluctant to do so because I feel like I just want total privacy. The more I think about it the more I know I want a homebirth. I just contacted a midwife and we have an appointment with her next week:))))!!!! I am super excited and only wish we had been going this route for the entire pregnancy.

partners.gif married to DH, momma to DD1flower.gif2/23/10, DD2 flowersforyou.gif5/26/11

Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Good for you for exploring all your options!! Hope the midwife visit goes well. :)

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM

I home birthed in a house and was so loud I was surprised the neighbors didn't call the police!!  I was planning on home birthing #2 in my apartment.  Our walls are super thin, I can actually hear peoples cell phone conversations when the phone is on speaker!!  I figured I would post on the main entry doors that I would be having a home birth on or around 5/1.  I apologize about the noise please respect my privacy!  There was no way I could even think about how I was laboring.  I mean how loudly I was laboring so I just wanted neighbors to know I wasn't dying!!!  I rent from the housing authority and we have pretty much gotten this building to all single mothers so it's different I'm sure!!

My dog was my best support during my home birth.  She was such a loving soothing dog!  But when it came time to the crazy crazy we put her in a crate.  I know my vet had a crate I could borrow for getting our kitty spayed.  Maybe yours has a couple he/she could loan for your birth.  Or put up an ad on your local freecycle.org for pet carriers or crates.  

Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hadn't thought about posting up a note before I go into labor...good ideas, thank you!

User Tag List