Birth center bag - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Little spin off of the hospital bag..Since I'm going to a freestanding birth center, I won't be staying more than a few hours before heading home. I got a list of things to bring from the midwife, but I wanted to see if you all had any other suggestions that came in handy.

Midwife's list:

favorite drinks, refillable bottle(planning on bringing one with a straw thing)

disposable panties(depends)

good walking shoes, extra comfy socks

sports bra/clothes to wear after and during labor

prewashed clothes and blankets, socks, hat etc for baby

diapers and wipes

small bottle of olive oil(for perineum massage)

food/snacks for partner

food for afterbirth

aquarium fish net(in case of water birth)

camera/batteries

car seat

ipod with some music on it or favorite cds

candles/essential oils

tennis balls/rolling pin/rice sock (for back labor)

cell phone and charger

toothpaste, tooth brush, mouthwash, chapstick

anything else from home that makes you comfortable, blankets, pillows, etc.

glasses, and/or contact solution

I'm going to ask my dad to cook for everyone(he did last time) as long as he's in town, otherwise I'm going to have to ask my MIL or just make a meal in advance(which is a bit of a challenge since mom and sister don't eat grains or dairy) but I'm really not worried about this part. I know I'll be taken care of. Not bringing a pump, not thinking it's necessary. Should I have a hospital transfer bag though? I didn't last time..Honestly, if I end up needing to transfer, I'm sure someone in my or my DH's family would be more than happy and willing to go to my house and get whatever I need. But should I be thinking about that?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 3 Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 PM

I was originally thinking of a hospital transfer bag to take to the birth center too, but now... I'm not feeling that so much. I think if that happens, a bag of stuff beyond what I have with me will be the least of my worries. And the hospital is almost as close as the birth center. You've got some good ideas on there though! Some I hadn't thought of... I should put that on my list of questions, to ask my mw what she recommends I bring.

My kids will just be hanging out, so we're taking some things specifically for their entertainment, such as a laptop (games or movies) and books or toys they want with them,  and food for them and dh. A whole meal is a great idea, vs. just snacks for everyone. I'm taking a cooler and ice and bags for my placenta, because I'm taking it home. We're only a 5 minute walk from the birth center, so I'm debating taking the car seat, wondering if I'll feel up to walking home? In which case I could just bring the Moby. Be nice to avoid strapping him in right away if we could. I will definitely want to bring some back labor support items! Hadn't thought of those.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#3 of 3 Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM

The list looks good. If you have someone who can bring more clothing etc. in case of a transfer I would also forgo the hospital bag. You really don't want to bring too much stuff.

After the baby you'll mainly shower, nurse and nap.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page