non-mainstream baby book? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

figured this might be the perfect place to ask...

I'm trying to either buy or put together a baby book - you know, something along the lines of "baby's first year"

but I realized that most of these books have whole spreads devoted to coming home from the hospital (which we won't be doing unless something goes wacky), and Vaccine records (a. why? b. we're probably delaying or skipping most of those), and a whole bunch of other junk that just seems cheesy to me...

I want to have pictures from the birth, footprints, DP and my stories of the birth (maybe our Midwife's story too!)... 

will it be easier to just make my own dang book, or is there something out there that is kind of suited to a "crunchy" mama?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM

There was a great one at Walmart when DS was born, but they still had all the coming home stuff (which we needed) and an entire vaccine page (that is still blank). I've yet to find one for this baby.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM

I was looking for something similar a few months ago. Finally settled on this book w/illustrations from Nikki McClure.

http://www.amazon.com/First-1000-Days-Baby-Journal/dp/157061508X

It's a bit more like a journal, and has space for things like your birth story, the first time baby hears a song, etc.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#4 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM

I think if you have a really solid image in your mind about what you want it might be easier to make it yourself. The one I have is pretty customizable. It still has that stuff but the pages are easily removable and I liked that they gave you extra Mom and Dad and Grandparent pages in case you were a "non-traditional" family. And it doesn't have vaccine pages. My mom got it at Hobby Lobby.

#5 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM

I love this baby book designer on Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubylovedesigns?ref=pr_shop

Super-modern, and includes several additional pages for topics like pregnancy, adoption, etc. It's also in a binder so you can take out or add pages. I'm pretty sure this is the one I'm getting. 

I'm also in love with the Binth baby book:

http://www.binth.com/Products/Binth+Baby+Book+in+Brown

Pricey but beautiful.

Have fun shopping!

#6 of 12 Old 04-09-2011, 05:22 PM

Nikki is a friend, so Im a bit biased, but I love the 1000 Days journal :)

#7 of 12 Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 PM

I just realized today at the hospital tour I finally took (the hospital is really nice, and they've made some amazing changes for the better for moms and babies in the past year, but I still hope to avoid all of that!) when the nurse giving us the tour mentioned bringing the baby book for footprints and stuff that a book hadn't even crossed my MIND for this baby. Good grief but I'm out of practice with the baby stuff!

So, awesome thread! :) I'll have to check all of these out, and look around Hobby Lobby's website!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#8 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

ooh, thanks for the ideas ladies!

I especially like the etsy one (but I already see at least 3 pages we probably wouldn't use)

I still haven't decided what to do... oy, time to get rolling on this though, I suppose.

We might just buy a baby scrapbooking kit or something, I don't know.... I guess the important thing is getting the photos as moments happen, birth footprints on acid-free paper, and writing things down in SOME format as they happen, so the memories don't fade too much. :)

#9 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM

I found this one: http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-You-Celebrating-Babys-First/dp/0312368399/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302548000&sr=8-2

Which seems to be pretty cool and is gender neutral (for parents & relatives). I think this is the one we are going to get, I love the etsy ones, but $60 is a lot of money right now. 

Adding another link: http://www.nancytillman.com/books/wonder/

I think I'm in love with this one.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#10 of 12 Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonwy View Post

I found this one: http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-You-Celebrating-Babys-First/dp/0312368399/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302548000&sr=8-2

Which seems to be pretty cool and is gender neutral (for parents & relatives). I think this is the one we are going to get, I love the etsy ones, but $60 is a lot of money right now. 

Adding another link: http://www.nancytillman.com/books/wonder/

I think I'm in love with this one.

Oooh..... that is gorgeous. I may have to add that one to my wish list.

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#11 of 12 Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 AM

MamaChef, did I get that right - you know Nikki McClure? I'm having a gushy moment here - she is one of my all time favorite artists. Love love LOVE all her work.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#12 of 12 Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 AM

I found that making my own was the best.  I'm not crafty or anything, so my layouts are basic, but I splurged on Photoshop Elements (was $99 at the time, ymmv) and printed my books out on shutterfly.  All of my pictures are digital anyway, so this saved me the printing/cutting/pasting steps. 

I also snagged layouts and papers from freebie sites. This option works the best for me, because I make a giant family photo album each year, and then smaller ones for the grands and great-grands at xmas.

If you think you will make book after book, getting some DIY software is well worth it.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page