Would you do this so close to your due date? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I live in a small town and my best friend's birthday is April 29th. She's thinking about going to a restaurant that's a little over an hour away from where I live. I'm due May 2nd. Would you go that far away so close to your due date? I'm hoping to leave our son with my mom so I'd have to go pick him up on the way home. I only live about 20 minutes from the birth center, so being over an hour away sounds like it's too far. What do you all think?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Are you driving yourself? I think that would be a factor for me, I can't imagine driving with contractions. 

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#3 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 PM

the likelyhood of you going into hard active labor in one hour on that specific day is extremely unlikely.  Personally I would go even if I were driving myself.  If you start getting early labor pains just leave.  Otherwise, enjoy yourself, if you don't go you'll probably wish you had. 

Jynuine likes this.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Normally I would probably say no, but then again this time around, we are driving an hour to get to our place of birth.  I agree with Elonwy, I definitely wouldn't drive myself for sure, just in case. Although, come to think of it, I will be driving myself an hour away to my prenatal appointments right up till baby arrives...but that's a little different, cause if I went into labour there, I'd just stay with the midwife till DH came to bring me to the birth location :P

Are you a fast labourer?  You can't predict for sure how things will go second time around, but if you were fairly fast the first time, it's a good chance you'll be faster the second time...

#5 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

the likelyhood of you going into hard active labor in one hour on that specific day is extremely unlikely.  Personally I would go even if I were driving myself.  If you start getting early labor pains just leave.  Otherwise, enjoy yourself, if you don't go you'll probably wish you had. 

This.

I'm stuck in class/clinical right up to my due date, and that involves driving an hour or so from my house (we're having a home birth) every day.

Although in that situation, if I went into labor, I would actually be AT the hospital and needing to LEAVE, which may raise a few eyebrows....lol.gif

Angelorum and Jynuine like this.
#6 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 PM

I was told months ago that after 32 weeks you should not travel more than an hour max from home just to be safe, so no, I'd not risk it. I'm sure everyone would understand seeing as you are so close to being due.

#7 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Unless I didn't feel well that day, I would go. 

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#8 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

my last labor lasted a total of 43 hours, so no..not a fast laborer! I will probably go :)

#9 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 PM

i think i would go as long as i had someone to drive me!

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#10 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 PM

I guess I'd probably wait and see how I felt. If I was feeling good and not having any labor signs I'd probably go, but if I was cranky, crampy or tired I'd probably pass.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#11 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 PM

I would go.

#12 of 20 Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

I say plan for it and maybe you'll have the baby that daysmile.gif  But yes, I'd go.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#13 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 AM

I would RSVP as a "maybe". As it is, I have had to cancel several trips (3.5 hr one way last month, 1 hour today) because I'm simply just too tired to go anywhere. When the day gets here, if you feel great, go! Enjoy this time where you can actually leave a kid with mom before the new one gets here!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#14 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 AM

I'd plan to go but I think everyone would understand that you may be in labor that day or even have a newborn at that time. I wouldn't go if I wasn't feeling well though.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#15 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

oh, and If we do go, yes, DH will be with me so I won't have to drive.

#16 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post

Although in that situation, if I went into labor, I would actually be AT the hospital and needing to LEAVE, which may raise a few eyebrows....lol.gif

That's awesome! ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

oh, and If we do go, yes, DH will be with me so I won't have to drive.

Then I would totally plan to go - the only reason I would think about not going is that I'm usually really uncomfortable in the car at that point of my pg, so if you'll be able to move around in your seat or bring pillows or whatever to be comfy, that would help with that, and I'd see no reason not to go.

Of course, an hour in the car in possible labor would be less than fun, but the party might be worth it. :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#17 of 20 Old 04-09-2011, 04:17 PM

I'd totally go, especially if DH was going with me.

#18 of 20 Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 AM
tzs

we have to drive 1.5 hours to chicago anytime we want to go out to eat so i wouldn't think twice about it if i felt up to it. i'd be more concerned about how i'd feel sitting in a restaurant chair for so long.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#19 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 AM

I have a similar situation - a friend with a birthday party about an hour away on the 28th, and I'm due the 4th. So you're cutting it a little closer, but hey.  So assuming I haven't already had the kid, I do plan on going (but I've told him I'm a tentative, based on how I'm feeling).  My thoughts are these - I know most of the people there really well.  Should I go into labor and don't feel like I can drive myself home, I know one of the people at the party would be more than happy to help me out with getting where I need to go.  Do you know anyone else who will be at the party who would be able to drive you, should you need it?

****5****10****15****20****25****30*@**35 ****40
Due May 4th!
#20 of 20 Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM

I'd go if you're feeling up to it that day, ESPECIALLY since you have a chauffeur!

I'm still commuting 30-45min daily via Subway at 36w4d (and plan to keep doing that until about 39w1d)

I don't think I'd hesitate to do a 1 or even 2 hour trip that close to my EDD, but I did draw the line at a weekend in DC (about 4 hrs away) a little over a week before my due date - even though I'm sure, as a first timer, if I went into labor, I'd be able to get back home before the kid arrived, and everyone assured me "oh, there are hospitals in DC too!" (thanks guys, but I'd like to stay as far away from a hospital as possible)... yeah, that much travel is just too much at that point. (says the girl who's gone to 5 different countries and all over the US with this kiddo in utero).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page