My MIL wants to bring my niece with her when she comes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I have been talking to his mom about coming out around the time I'd due and staying for a couple weeks.  This morning she mentioned she'd be bringing our niece... who is almost 8 months old.  Um... am I wrong to not really be comfortable with this?  Our house is not babyproof (we're planning to move before this baby is mobile) because our two older kiddos are 8 and 5.  But really my issue is that I don't really want an extra kid in our (small) house when I'm trying to bond with my newborn and spend time with my kids.  I think I'll just see if maybe she can come out for a week or less?  This also means that if we go anywhere as a group, we'll have to take two cars.  DH doesn't see the big deal... but he's never had a newborn (he and I weren't together til my kids were 6 and 3).  He said he wants the kids to spend time with their cousin, which I do too, but we're planning to visit GA in July.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#2 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Wow, I guess I am more surprised that the mom of the 8 month old is ok with her child being gone for a couple weeks! Does she not remember what a household is like with young kids and a newborn??

Jynuine likes this.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 01:46 PM

uuh say no.  hello.  your house, your postpartum period that you need to protect.  Explain this to your DH and remind him he needs to protect you, that means saying no to his mommy.  She can stay in a hotel.  I can't believe she didn't even ask your permission first.  I don't know what your DH's relationship is like with his mom, but if there's one thing I'm firm about in my marriage, it's that my feelings and opinions come before my DH's family, ALWAYS. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 03:30 PM

I agree with standing up. Let DH know how it is with a newborn. It's not all peaches and cream, it takes time to get into the swing of things. An 8 month old would be in the way and stressful to have in the house with a newborn. It's one thing if your house is baby-proof. Sigh... just thinking of another baby in the house while getting to know this one stresses me out!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 PM

i'm with hollybearsmom.... how strange that the parents of an 8 month old are ok with her being gone for so long!!  an 8 month old is still a baby so your mil won't be able to help you or spend much time bonding with her new grandchild... she'll be taking care of an 8 month old!  and it's not like an 8 mo will really be bonding with her cousins... i'd be uncomfortable with the situation too and agree that it's not an appropriate time to be bringing her along.  

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page