Labor Snacks/PP Meal/Labor and PP Drinks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas!!

I was just wondering what types of foods you will make sure to have on hand while in labor (especially for those of you homebirthing)!

So far my list includes:

1.  Grapes...red and purple

2.  Yogurt

3.  Bananas

4.  Almonds

5.  String cheese

6. Cheddar chz and crackers

7. Coconut water

8. Ice water (must have ice)

Also wondering what your first PP meal will be!  My EDD is May 5th and I'm thinking maybe Tacos for Cinqo de Mayo!! Lol! And I just happen to love tacos too! I might change my mind though so I was thinking about having a back up ready as well!

And what about drinks for during labor and after?

I have:

1. OJ

2.  Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

3.  Mother's milk tea

4.  Coconut water

5.  Raw milk

6. Ice water again

Thanks mamas!!! I just love getting all these last minute things done! Will be 37 weeks on Thursday!!  Eeeeek!! :)

Tara

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM

In our childbirthing class the instructor stressed that whatever we have to eat during or right before labor should be something we won't mind revisiting because of the possibility of barfing during labor. 

I sofar have bananas and coconut water on my list :P

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#3 of 23 Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 PM

This week we're tasting different brands of coconut water to figure out our favourite, and then we'll make coconut water popsicles a little closer to our EDD.

#4 of 23 Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Almonds will not be fun if they come up. 

Oj is acidic to begin with so no fun coming up. 

Ive got :

Yogurt

honey

Bananas

Smoothie popsicles

GU

Potato soup

Cheese and crackers

miso

applesauce

Avocados

Drinks:

Recharge

RRL/Herb Infusion Tea

Water

Ginger ale

I stuck tamales in the freezer for after or Kalua pork, Ive also go sauce/meatballs/sausage in the freezer.. or we have a friend coming that will make pancakes and eggs.. Im sticking some chocolate cupcakes in there this weekend incase I dont feel like making the bday cake in labor.  

#5 of 23 Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM

oohhh, I love the idea of coconut water popsicles! I am totally going to try to make some now.

We are going to have:

-recharge drink

-plain seltzer water

-applesauce

-some sort of fruit juice

-grapes sound really good too

#6 of 23 Old 04-11-2011, 05:11 PM

I'm probably going to be getting pre-packaged stuff to bring to the hospital. Gatorade, Emergen-C, some kind of simple snack food that I'm not a. allergic to or b. sounds like something I wouldn't mind revisiting. Keeping the list short because I know I have to go to the hospital.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 23 Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 PM

I'm thinking Lara Bars, Smoothie ingredients, gatorade, orange juice, and some popscicles (probably homemade) because it get's hot here in May for my labor food. I haven't decided on anything postpartum but because I'm having homebirth and have two other kids I am going to splurge on some junk we don't normally have such as boxed cereals and such for them (at 5 & 8, they can sort of help themselves)

#8 of 23 Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 PM

Definitely coconut water and bananas.  Also, avocados, crackers, and cranberry juice.  Nothing that has been giving me heartburn, like dairy or nuts.  In early labor, i'll probably eat eggs and chicken soup to build up nourishment before going to the hospital. 

#9 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 AM

The foods I have made for labour/birthing day, which are in the freezer & ready to go:
Corn Chowder (good for breakfast, lunch, or dinner) will be on "keep warm" in the crockpot
100% whole grain banana chocolate chip muffins
soft ginger cookies
honey oatmeal cookies with raisins & sunflower seeds
(I'm thinking of making some biscuits for the freezer too but haven't done that yet. Not sure how well they'll freeze)

Easy/treat foods for DH or whoever else wants them:
Loaf of bread (freezer)
deli meat (freezer)
goldfish crackers
sour gummy worms
scotch mints
granola bars

Easy foods for me:
frozen watermelon cubes
tea cubes (red raspberry leaf, alfalfa & rooibos tea blend, with a little honey - frozen into ice cubes then chipped)
ice chips
ginger ale
coke
soda crackers

Food we normally have in the house anyway that I may want in labour:
yogurt
apples
bananas
organic baby carrots
cucumber
cheese
low acid apple juice
low sodium club soda
Emergen-C
Electro-Mix (from the makers of Emergen-C)

Foods in the freezer/pantry for the early days:
turkey broth & chicken broth
cooked lentils
tortellini
perogies
pre-cooked ground beef
pre-cooked sausages with buns
pasta , rice, lentils, beans...
KD (a treat for DH - lol)
homemade tomato sauce (well - tomatoes are currently defrosting in the kitchen, to get cooked down into sauce this afternoon)
scratch pancake mix
...still building up the freezer stash - cooking double whenever I can over the next few weeks.
#10 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Nutter, I am TOTALLY stealing the frozen watermelon cube idea.  That sounds delicious to me right now, actually, so I might have to stock up to manage to keep a stash for the birth :P Thanks!

This thread has prompted me to steal a few ideas and put together a list of my own:

for me:

pedialyte/gatorade (I have a recipe for homemade labourade, but knowing me i won't get around to making it!)

watermelon cubes

blueberry-apple juice popsicles (I made these before DS's birth and can't remember if I had any during labour, but man they tasted SO good right after he was born!)

cucumber (another stolen idea, I am making sure to pack a peeler, too, cause unpeeled just sounds good to me!)

for team:

trail mix

muffins (I might try to make some, we'll see ;P)

granola bars

juice

water

sandwich fixings (also technically for me cause I expect a sandwich will sound good after baby is born)

I am really excited to have just put two big lots of tortellini soup in the freezer.  They join a big batch of pumpkin chicken soup, two bags of chili, and a bag of lentil and rice soup.  We will be buying huge boxes of organic baby spinach to keep in the fridge so we can wilt it into everything as it heats (spinach is my saviour postpartum :P).  Plus I got good sales on a few pre-made, not-too-unhealthy items (fresh pizza, which I froze, and a shepherd's pie and some chicken veggie risotto).  We are away for a week at our birth cottage and I think we are well set for meals, with a trip at the beginning for some raw veggies and bread and staples like that.  Yay!  My parents arrive on Thursday and I am hoping my mom will do a little cooking to re-stock our freezer a bit for our return from the cottage :P

#11 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM

These are great lists!! Question: When do you plan to stock up on the fresh fruits/veggies? Or are you planning to keep them on hand from x-point on??

#12 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Nutter, do you cut up watermelon in cubes and freeze it, or puree it and freeze it like ice cubes?

#13 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaS View Post

These are great lists!! Question: When do you plan to stock up on the fresh fruits/veggies? Or are you planning to keep them on hand from x-point on??

I generally have those fruits/veggies (apples, bananas, carrots, cucumber) in the house anyway, so it's just a matter of making sure I don't run out of anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imogenlily View Post

Nutter, do you cut up watermelon in cubes and freeze it, or puree it and freeze it like ice cubes?

I cut the watermelon into small bite sized cubes and tossed them all in a ziploc bag in the freezer. They are about 1/3 of the size of an icecube, so you can pop a whole one in your mouth without getting brainfreeze. They did freeze together in a clump, but dropping the bag on a the kitchen floor a few times solved that problem. Lol.

#14 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM

haven't even thought about it because last time I labored for 43 hours and didn't eat anything besides almonds that whole time. Early labor I was puking and had diarrhea and more active labor I just wasn't hungry. Should I make sure I eat even if nothing sounds good? I don't know, maybe that's why I ran out of energy by the time I hit 7 cm and asked for Nubain. What would you all suggest? Postpartum I'm either having ribs, borracho beans and one other side or homemade pizza. My dad is an excellent cook! :) I will make sure I have RRL tea, coconut water and vitamin water on hand though to keep hydrated.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#15 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM

oh, and next weekend on Easter, my mom and sister are going to help me make a big batch of zucchini lasagna, shepherd's pie and meatloaf muffins to stick in my freezer for  postpartum. My mom is also going to make sure I have meals brought to my house every night for at least a week, maybe two. After that, I have a whole church full of people that want to help with meals too. I feel so blessed.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#16 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepetals View Post

Nutter, I am TOTALLY stealing the frozen watermelon cube idea.  That sounds delicious to me right now, actually, so I might have to stock up to manage to keep a stash for the birth :P Thanks!

I am really excited to have just put two big lots of tortellini soup in the freezer.  They join a big batch of pumpkin chicken soup, two bags of chili, and a bag of lentil and rice soup.  We will be buying huge boxes of organic baby spinach to keep in the fridge so we can wilt it into everything as it heats (spinach is my saviour postpartum :P).  Plus I got good sales on a few pre-made, not-too-unhealthy items (fresh pizza, which I froze, and a shepherd's pie and some chicken veggie risotto).  We are away for a week at our birth cottage and I think we are well set for meals, with a trip at the beginning for some raw veggies and bread and staples like that.  Yay!  My parents arrive on Thursday and I am hoping my mom will do a little cooking to re-stock our freezer a bit for our return from the cottage :P

I, too, will SO be stealing the frozen watermelon cube idea! I might freeze some grapes - but not all of them - and some other melon too. Hmmm.

Bluepetals, if it's not too much trouble, would you PM me with your pumpkin chicken and tortellini soup recipes? They both sound SO good, and I would deeply appreciate it! Or a link, or whatever? Please? :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#17 of 23 Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBone View Post

haven't even thought about it because last time I labored for 43 hours and didn't eat anything besides almonds that whole time. Early labor I was puking and had diarrhea and more active labor I just wasn't hungry. Should I make sure I eat even if nothing sounds good? I don't know, maybe that's why I ran out of energy by the time I hit 7 cm and asked for Nubain. What would you all suggest? Postpartum I'm either having ribs, borracho beans and one other side or homemade pizza. My dad is an excellent cook! :) I will make sure I have RRL tea, coconut water and vitamin water on hand though to keep hydrated.

If nothing sounded good in the past, I would try to have some very light things on hand? Fruits or veggies? I would guess that probably contributed to your exhaustion last time, but who knows? I hope things flow more quickly and smoothly for you this time!

And your mom sounds awesome. :)

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#18 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 AM

Just wondering what you drink emergen-c for?  Do you get energy from the b vitamins?

#19 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 PM

At the birth center we're going to they will make you eat and drink certain amounts to keep your energy up, even if it just like a banana. They talk about how some of the reasons people stall or transfer to the hospital is because they just run out of energy and eating and drinking can really help stave that off.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#20 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM

The frozen watermelon idea just made me think about doing frozen banana bits. I can't stand melons, but frozen banana is a favorite treat of mine, I should try chopping them up first and see if that works.

Hmmm.

#21 of 23 Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzieView Post

Bluepetals, if it's not too much trouble, would you PM me with your pumpkin chicken and tortellini soup recipes? They both sound SO good, and I would deeply appreciate it! Or a link, or whatever? Please? :)

Just seeing this now.  Sure thing :)

#22 of 23 Old 04-14-2011, 04:10 PM

These are all great ideas!  I haven't thought of anything except making sure I pick up some Recharge...my labors are so fast though that I really only need things for afterwards.  Oh and my MW told me to avoid red Gatorade or sports drinks as she's found that red sports drinks come back up much more often than any other kinds.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#23 of 23 Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Bluepetals- could you pm me the pumpkin chicken recipe too?? sounds super yummy!

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page