How far before birth do you drop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been crampy the last 2 days and I feel like the baby has dropped. I feel like I can eat and breathe again. I am only 35. 2 weeks (by u/s) or 34.6 weeks (by LMP). I had my twins at 35.6. I am getting nervous that I am not going to make it to 40. :^(

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#2 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 04:24 PM

with first baby I think it was 2 weeks before delivery.  EAch one after that is very shortly before labor.  I don't even notice sometimes.   Last few times I had weeks of prodromal labor and that got baby down farther.  I think 3 days before labor last time he engaged.  Im about at the point where id take some prodromal labor if she would drop down and I could breath again.

homebirth.jpg  waterbirth.jpg buddamomimg1.pngmama to the Brady bunch 3 boys, 3 girls. 

DS Jan '02, DD Jan '04, DD Oct '05, DS Spt '07, DS Jan '10, DD Jun '11 Ouruc.jpg

#3 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

What is prodromal labor?

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#4 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM

I don't think Z dropped at all before labor last time! I was barely dilated and he was not engaged the day I went into labor. (hence labor lasting 72 hours, probably)

I am carrying super high with this babe too. I am hoping I get somewhere dilation-wise before labor begins this time, since I'd rather it be a tad shorter!

but a friend of mine walked around at 2-3cm I think for a few weeks, head engaged, baby definitely had dropped a lot. I think twins coming early is probably not related to droppage?

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#5 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM

I was just wondering this today, because every time I've gone to the bathroom today I've felt some pressure, like a head descending.  I can't remember when I dropped with my boys, though.  

Lacie, mama to Ethan (5), Logan (2), and Dylan, born 5/12/11!

#6 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM

5-10 minutes? My babies usually stay high until I'm pushing them out. I do have times where the baby is down really low, but he doesn't necessarily constantly stay there. Sometimes he'll be really low for a few days at a time and then bobble back up and then back down again.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#7 of 15 Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post

5-10 minutes? My babies usually stay high until I'm pushing them out. I do have times where the baby is down really low, but he doesn't necessarily constantly stay there. Sometimes he'll be really low for a few days at a time and then bobble back up and then back down again.

Same here...well except for the first...With my first she dropped early, 2nd dropped probably week before and 3rd as I was pushing him out.  This one goes up and down.

And I am one of those that dilates and effaces early and has 39/40 weekers...first I was 2cm for a couple weeks before she came, 2nd I walked around at 5cm for a week(was 3cm at 36 weeks), and 3rd was 3cm for at least a week...it'll be interesting to see what this one does.

And I think prodomal labor is just pre-labor contractions that don't turn into labor...but I'm not sure.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#8 of 15 Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 AM

I've read it's different each baby and if you are a first time mom you can drop weeks in advance and still not go in early. If you are a second (or more) time mom, then it can happen just before birth or at least closer to birth.

This one seems to have dropped a while ago since I've been able to breathe since then, but I don't feel incredible pelvic pressure, just a bit tender, so I know she's not engaged. No clue when she'll engage since this is only my second pregnancy. I can't for the life of me remember when my son dropped... but he was 5 days late.

#9 of 15 Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM

I have to ask, what is this breathing thing that people keep referring to? are folks actually having trouble breathing? I get the eating reference, I guess (since I can get heartburn easily) but I never noticed any breathing issues last time or this time. Maybe since I think I have a longish torso? I didn't think lungs were as affected by pregnancy as digestion.

#10 of 15 Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post

I have to ask, what is this breathing thing that people keep referring to? are folks actually having trouble breathing? I get the eating reference, I guess (since I can get heartburn easily) but I never noticed any breathing issues last time or this time. Maybe since I think I have a longish torso? I didn't think lungs were as affected by pregnancy as digestion.

Yes, I have a very hard time breathing during the end of pregnancy as the baby just floats up under my ribs.  Walking up and down stairs leaves me winded(not long flights either) and sometimes just walking across the room will leave me winded.  It's no fun.  So yes, count your blessings with a longish torso smile.gif  (It also doesn't help that I carry fairly compact and not out so that all my babies just sit nestled up tight and under/against my diaphragm and ribs.)

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#11 of 15 Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post

Yes, I have a very hard time breathing during the end of pregnancy as the baby just floats up under my ribs.  Walking up and down stairs leaves me winded(not long flights either) and sometimes just walking across the room will leave me winded.  It's no fun.  So yes, count your blessings with a longish torso smile.gif  (It also doesn't help that I carry fairly compact and not out so that all my babies just sit nestled up tight and under/against my diaphragm and ribs.)

ah! I guess that does make sense. I do get more winded easily too, I suppose, but not *too* badly (I am after all, still able to play frisbee and bike to work) but biking the hills or climbing lots of stairs with DS on my back certainly get me more winded than before. I figured it was just the extra weight, not lung space! maybe a combo, I guess!

#12 of 15 Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 PM

I can't remember...  but I don't think I dropped with DS until just before going into labor.  I have a long torso, so maybe I don't notice the change as much.  shrug.gif

#13 of 15 Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 PM

I have a shorter torso and carry my babies hugely out in front.  With DS I dropped at 36w and gave birth at 39w.  With this babe I dropped at 33w and am currently 36w with no other signs of baby coming.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#14 of 15 Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 AM

Neither of my kids dropped until they were on the way out either. This one is really high that I sometimes can't fill my lungs. I wouldn't mind if it decided to come down a bit before labor personally.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#15 of 15 Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM

seafox, re: breathing...this is baby #3 for me and with the first two, the breathing thing was never an issue....I have a fairly tall torso as well.  This time around I have no idea why, but baby loves being up in my ribs even though there's LOADS of room down lower.    Drives me crazy!  I am constantly giving it little nudges to just move down out of the way to give me a break :P  Really noticing it at night/naps, the baby floats up when I'm lying down and I can feel myself having a harder and harder time filling my lungs (a perception thing, I know - I am getting lots of air in there! - but it feels SO weird!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page